Winterborn Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wilson won't be joining us carpetbagger. I left him on the trail outside of town," Dillon said with steel in his voice. He was swaying on his feet a little but his mind was clear and sharp. He had entered into that cold mind set he always got before a battle.

The next time Dillon swayed the man on Cassidy's right drew his pistol; before he could aim at Dillon a rifle shot rang out. The man took two steps backwards and dropped to the ground. The cowhand on Cassidy's left never quite got his hand all the way to his gun before he was knocked down by another rifle shot.

Dillon didn't turn his head to see who had fired the rifles and continued to concentrate on Cassidy. "Looks like that leaves just you and me Mr. Carpetbagger," Dillon said challenging Cassidy.

Cassidy took a step back. "You're not running away from this like you did in Virginia Cassidy," Dillon said. The man could hear the hatred and anger in Dillon's voice. "I told you I wouldn't call you out but that's what I'm doing. Draw your gun or be shot standing there," Dillon told him.

He reached for his piston and Dillon let him clear the holster before he pulled his Remington and put two bullets into Cassidy knocking him to the ground. Out of the corner of his eye Dillon saw Oso step out from behind a building on his left. Turning his head he saw Elizabeth emerge from a gangway on his right. Both of them carried rifles and hurried over to Dillon as he was unsteady on his feet.

"I told you to go to Sheriff Jackson and stay out of this," Dillon scolded Elizabeth with a smile.

"You really didn't mean it," she replied.

He swayed again, touched his bloody shirt, and crumpled. Before Dillon could hit the ground, Oso picked him up and started to the doctor's office at a run.

*******************

Dillon thought he was dreaming but he couldn't wake up. He felt someone working on his side and the pain that went with it. Later he felt someone wiping his face with a cool wet cloth. He came back to the world and looked around. I'm on a bed someplace, he told himself. When he tried to sit up and move, pain shot through his side. He went back to sleep.

The next time he woke up he saw Elizabeth sitting on the bed holding his hand with her head and shoulders lying across his legs as she slept. Dillon pulled his hand free and caressed her face. When she opened her eyes at his touch he quoted "She walks in beauty like the night."

"Dillon, you're awake," Elizabeth said with relief. She turned and yelled through the open bedroom door, "Doc he's awake, he's awake."

"Alright my dear, take it easy or I'll have to take care of you too," Doc Reynolds said as he came into the room. "And how are you feeling Dillon. Still a little foggy I guess."

"How bad did I get hit Doc?"

"You were shot in the side; the bullet went through you without hitting any vital organs I'm happy to say." Reynolds pulled the bandage off of Dillon's side and examined the wound. "Healing nicely, shouldn't give you a problem." Dillon tried to raise his head so he could look at his side but was too weak to do it.

Doc Reynolds continued, "From what I hear you were wounded before you got to town. I'm surprised that you didn't pass out from loss of blood."

Elizabeth took Dillon's hand again after the doctor finished. "I saw you standing in the street with blood all down your left side," she said with tears in her eyes. "I almost ran to you but Oso motioned for me to stay hidden."

"So you and Oso were there, I thought I was dreaming," Dillon replied. "Where is the big guy?"

"I'm right here amigo," Oso answered as he ducked his head and walked through the door way. "I thought your Winterborn legend was going to take you from us this time."

At Dillon's surprised look, he added, "You've been quoting that damn poem in your sleep. Senora Eleanor explained it to me." Oso looked at his friend and smiled. "You read some strange things amigo."

"How long was I out?"

"This is the fourth day. We were able to feed you a little soup but not much else," Elizabeth said.

"No wonder I'm so hungry," Dillon said. "Can I get something to eat? A steak and some fried potatoes would do just fine."

Doc Reynolds chuckled. "You can have some thin stew and a little bread. When you get used to that we'll see about a steak." Turning to the others in the room he said, "I think our boy will be fine."

That evening Sheriff Jackson came to visit Dillon. "I didn't find out Cassidy was in town gunning for you until the shooting was all over. First I knew of it was when Eleanor and Ethan got to my place. By that time it was too late. Sorry I wasn't there to help you."

"Don't worry Charley, I had all the help I needed," Dillon said looking at Elizabeth and Oso. "That was one time I'm glad they didn't follow orders." Pointing his finger at them he added, "But don't make a habit of it."

The next day Dillon was able to sit up in bed and move without too much pain. He was still very sore but his wound was healing. Two days later he finally got the steak he'd asked for. Each day he gained strength and moved around more and more. Ten days after being shot he was back on his feet and ready to return to the Triple E.

Sheriff Jackson came to see Dillon again before he left for the ranch. "Guess you won't have any more trouble out your way. It'll be good to go back to raising cattle and horses won't it?"

Dillon smiled and nodded. Eleanor said, "Charley I would have sold the place after John died but not to Cassidy. Now that he's gone, I guess we'll stay."

"But you fought Cassidy every step of the way. Why didn't you sell out to him?"

"He tried to steal the place," Dillon said. "Just like the carpetbagger he was back in Virginia. First he had John Edwards killed and then tried to scare Eleanor and Elizabeth into selling. His offer was less than half of what the Triple E is worth." He grinned at Eleanor and continued, "There's nothing more stubborn than an Irish woman that thinks she's right."

Eleanor laughed and said, "Unless it's an educated, poetry quoting, southern gentleman."

When they got back to the ranch, Elizabeth insisted that Dillon take it easy for a few more days. He was regulated to cleaning weapons, oiling saddles, and a few times she allowed him to brush and curry the horses. Dillon even helped with the cooking a few nights.

It wasn't long and Dillon was back to full strength; although the area around the wound was still a little tender. They settled into a routine of the normal chores and working around the ranch.

Dillon and Elizabeth had moved some of the cattle to high country pastures and were returning home. They stopped on a hill overlooking the main house and buildings.

"Any quotes Dillon?" Elizabeth asked laughing at her husband.

" So, we'll go no more a-roving
So late into the night,
Though the heart be still as loving,
And the moon be still as bright."

Dillon replied and then added, "No need to wander like a tumble weed anymore. I've found a home."

The End