Witness Protection

Story Info
Crime and abuse bring two future lovers together.
15.6k words
4.66
30.5k
43
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,778 Followers

"I'm just glad you finally went to the shelter, Mom." What he really wanted to ask her was how she managed to keep attracting the same kind of man; the kind who used women like a punching bag. He still secretly hated his own father for the things he'd done to her. But even after he finally left, she'd been beaten by four out of the five men with whom she'd lived. He knew his mother, Caroline Knight, had no money and a serious drug problem, but she was still his mother and he'd always love her even when there was precious little he could do for her.

During his early life, things had seemed relatively normal around home with 'relatively' being the key word. He was too young to know that his mother wore long sleeves even during the summer in Florida to cover up the bruises left by his father. He had no reason to doubt her explanations for why she had the occasional black eye or her arm was in a sling. But around the time he turned ten, he began suspecting something was wrong. He didn't know what it was, but he could sense the pieces didn't fit. By the time he was 12, his friends started making comments and it became clearer even though he still didn't know for sure.

His father, Glenn, was a respected man in their Jacksonville community and no one would have believed him capable, let alone guilty of, beating his wife the way he often did. That was because he was very, very good at never leaving visible marks that couldn't be covered up with clothing or makeup. Those rare times when he did, his wife knew how to sell the latest 'accident' she'd recently had with sincerely-told stories about how she'd 'tripped' or 'fell down the stairs' or 'I'm such a klutz!'

That was around the same time she'd turned to cocaine for an escape; for some temporary relief from reality. His parents had money and plenty of it, and the one thing Caroline was good at was accounting. In fact, she even had a degree in it which was part of the reason his parents had met. She was 22 and just out of Florida State University when she began working in the financial section of the law firm where his father worked as a young, up-and-coming attorney.

They were both very attractive people and she'd been taken by his good looks, charm, and sophistication and agreed to a date the first time he'd asked. They dated for several months and she'd happily said 'yes' to his proposal. Their picture was atop the local newspapers' fashion pages and their fall wedding was a very big deal in the city of Orange Park, the same town where Senator John McCain once lived, and that bordered Jacksonville on its southwest side.

For the first year of their marriage, all was reasonably well although signs of his temper were beginning to show. He'd been a collegiate boxer and a damned good one. Had it not been for a serious car accident in which he suffered a broken arm his senior year in college, he may well have qualified for the US Olympic team or even turned pro. The injury had ended his career and left in its wake a very angry, very strong, very intelligent man who mostly managed to keep that anger neatly bottled up. Most of the time, anyway.

Neither Caroline nor anyone else knew he'd beaten a man nearly to death during the very time they were engaged. The rage inside him had been building and he needed a release valve. He found it in the case of a young sailor from the Mayport Navy Base who'd had a little too much to drink one night and picked on the wrong guy at the bar where both of them had been shooting pool.

Landon didn't beat his ass at the bar. Rather, he'd followed the guy and his buddies and found out where they lived. He didn't go after him later that night, either. He just waited. Three nights later, he confronted the young Navy man after he left his house for a run. Glenn waited near the start of a jogging path he ran on each morning that wound through a wooded area and watched him go by. He sat there biding his time and near the end of his run, stepped out in front of him, stopped him, and said, "Remember me?"

The sailor had tried to talk Glenn down but by this time he was a boiling cauldron of rage. Before throwing the first punch he warned the man that if he ever came after him, he would kill him with his bare hands. The kid tried to run, but Landon grabbed him, through him to the ground and began pummeling him. He left him on the ground with a serious concussion, a broken nose, several broken ribs, and a lot of internal bleeding. He'd been too afraid to try and identify his attacker after he recovered and Landon went on to continue practicing law and start beating his wife as the easiest, most readily accessible target for his anger.

When he was just 15, Landon vowed he would become a police officer and one day either arrest his father or... Like his mother, he was too afraid and too intimidated to tell anyone, and his mother's regular pleas not to ever mention 'Dad's temper' kept him from doing so. She had what he later thought of as a kind of variation of the Stockholm Syndrome where a captor begins identifying with his or her captors. In her case, she made excuse after excuse for her violent husband telling her son 'he really is a good man' or 'it's our fault for upsetting him.'

When he turned 19, he entered the police academy in Jacksonville which was the very same time his mother's growing drug habit had gotten so out of control she'd entered rehab. His father attended his graduation ceremony without her more as a photo op for himself than to share his son's accomplishments. That was fine with Landon who used the opportunity to take his father aside afterward and look him directly in the eye from just a few inches away. In a calm, quiet voice he coldly told him, "I'm not afraid of you anymore—dad, and here's what you're gonna do. You're gonna give Mom a divorce, let her keep the house, and half of your precious money. You're also moving out—this week—and you're never coming back. If you do—if you ever lay a hand on her again, I'll kill you myself. I may go to prison, but you'll go to the morgue." He poked his father in the chest so hard it knocked him off balance then added, "I swear to God I'll kill you."

He not only literally turned away from his father as he left, he also turned away from him in every other way and had never spoken to him since. Glenn Knight gave his wife the divorce and everything else his son demanded, but rehab never took. His mother was back on cocaine the day she was released and then on meth within a year after that.

Out of control, out of money, and unable to pay the property taxes on her very nice home, she lost it and ended up on the streets moving from place to place shacking up with anyone who'd take her in. Landon couldn't bear to imagine the things she'd almost certainly have done over the years to keep the flow of drugs coming in, but the one thing he was sure of was that she'd often been beaten by the very men she depended on for her next fix.

He and his fellow police officers kept an eye out for her and every now and then one of them would find her under a bridge, in an abandoned house, or in some cheap motel. Landon would go to see her, try to get her to at least eat something or let him help, but all to avail. By then all that mattered to her was getting or staying high.

Landon had completed a year of college before joining the force and during his first five years had continued to take as many on-line college classes (as well as those he had to take in residence) as he could spending virtually all of his off-duty time studying. His efforts paid off as by the end of that time he'd earned a bachelor's degree in criminal justice. He no sooner had his degree in hand than he applied to become a U.S. Marshall having met all of their requirements for service.

He was selected on his first 'look' and found himself headed for training at the United States Marshals Service Basic Training Academy at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC), in Glynco, Georgia. Glynco is located near Brunswick, Georgia, mid-way between Savannah and his home of Jacksonville, Florida.

He turned 26 shortly before graduating and received his first assignment working in what was called Asset Forfeiture. Deputy Marshals assigned those duties were involved in the seizing, managing and disposing of forfeited assets. After a major drug bust, much of the property owned by the drug kingpin and his henchmen was forfeited and became the property of the U.S. government. Men and women like Landon were responsible for going to get it, caring for it, then disposing of it in accordance with the law. It wasn't exactly a 'sexy' job but it was a great place to start.

What Landon really wanted to do was work in Witness Security which was typically but incorrectly called 'witness protection' and he began requesting it as soon as he had six months time with the Service. Because of the way his mother had been treated, he knew there were other people—other women—out there like her who, although they may not have been beaten, per se, had been used and abused by men worse than his father. Sure, many of those in the program were scum who were given new identities for agreeing to testify against bigger scum, but this was where his heart was and it was the job he wanted to do.

It took two years to get his transfer approved and he was thrilled when he began his new assignment not long after turning 28. He was transferred to the Miami Office and began working as an agent-in-training learning how to ensure the safety of each and every person assigned to the Marshal Service for protection.

From his first days at the Training Academy to his first day at the new assignment, he'd had it drilled into his head that no person ever assigned to the Witness Security program had ever been killed. "Don't let there be a first on your watch" still rang out in his head every time he took on a new assignment.

After six months of learning the ropes, of learning how to think about every possible situation that could arise, and learning all of the available resources at his disposal, he was certified to work as a member of a security detail. During that first year he saw everything from mafia bosses who were cold-blooded killers to drug dealers to those involved in exposing terror plots assigned to his details. Most of them had cut deals with the government but a few had had new identities offered to them in exchange for their testimony. These were the people who'd done nothing wrong. They simply had information the prosecution needed to put very bad people in prison for a very long time.

He knew that many, if not most people in that situation, would refuse to testify. Who would want to give up their life, assume a new identity, move to a new state, and try and live in complete anonymity for the rest of their lives? Not many. And yet there a few and it was Landon's responsibility to protect them and deliver them to their new locations under new names. He and his team would also create phony histories on line for these 'new' people just in case landlords or employers needed to verify their work or credit histories. It sounded very simple, but was a very long, detailed, and complex process.

There had been quite a few girls in Landon's past starting in high school and through his early service as a Deputy Marshal. Almost immediately upon his arrival in Miami, he'd met someone who'd shown a lot of interest in him. Then again, women had pretty much always been interested in Landon Knight. He was tall, good looking, calm, kind, and had an ever-present smile women found adorable.

Kate Jennings was a 36-year old divorced woman with two children who was herself a Deputy Marshal working in Witness Security. She'd been Landon's mentor from day one and let it be known she was not only single but very available. Kate was definitely attractive; there was no doubt about it. She had short, smooth, very cute dark-brown hair, a pretty face, and her own great smile. Like Knight, she took very good care of herself and had the body to go with the face. She and Landon had hung out many times together, but he made sure she understood those weren't dates no matter how many times Kate referred to them as such. It was just two colleagues getting together to work out, have lunch, or get coffee.

Shortly after this latest call from his mother who told him she'd gone to a shelter for battered women, a call which came totally out of the blue, he was assigned a new case. It was a family consisting of a father, a mother, and their young daughter.

Benito "Benny The Shark" Montecci was, to put it mildly, a bad guy. He'd been the number two man in the New Jersey Mafia, ala Tony Soprano. In exchange for his testimony against his longtime rival, Anthony "Scarface" Scarpetto, he and his family had been granted immunity from prosecution and guaranteed witness protection.

Landon knew better than to make friends with any protectees and tried not to even form opinions about them. Yes, they were people, but he was supposed to look at them as a job. An assignment. A mission. They would only be with him for a few weeks at most and it was easier not to think of them as people. Even so, Landon was the kind of guy who was easily moved at the thought of either a wife or a child being abused by anyone and he knew from personal experience, the abuser tended to be a family member and most often the father.

Benny was 47 years old and a hardcore criminal. He was also filthy rich having 'earned' his money the old fashioned way as he worked his way up in the 'Family.' He was a good-looking guy and reminded Knight of a younger Michael Douglas with the slicked-back hair, the expensive clothes, and the Cuban cigars.

His wife, Toni, was 39 and every bit as attractive a woman as her husband was a man. She had long, blonde hair, beautiful blue eyes, high cheek bones, and full lips. Her smile was perfect, but Landon noticed early on she rarely showed it. Her body was as sensational as her face and he found it difficult not to stare when they were in the same room together. He didn't care about the expensive clothes she wore or the diamonds that studded the jewelry she wore with it. She just struck him as a kind, sweet, loving woman who doted on her beautiful little daughter, Collete.

The other part of this detail which he looked forward to each day was being around the this sweet, little four-year girl, who was clearly going to be a beauty like her mom. Sadly, just like her mom, little Collete rarely smiled, either. Landon knew people were different, but he also knew women and children tended to smile often and the fact that neither of these two did troubled him greatly. He also knew it was none of his business, but it bothered him nonetheless.

"Okay, folks. We have your new names and identities all set. Are you ready to hear them?" Landon asked as they sat down together in their safe house.

"Are you excited about getting a new name, honey?" Toni asked her daughter.

"Shut up and listen already," Benny told her in his thick Jersey accent. "Sorry, chief. My wife don't know when to shut her yap. Go ahead. Just don't gimme no twinkletoes kinda name, okay? Like Jeffrey or Conrad. I want a real name. Somethin' with some umpf in it, you know? Something...Italian!"

"Sorry sir, but I have nothing to do with name selection. That's done by another team and a computer and random generation and..."

"All right, all right. Enough already. Just get on with it here," the man said.

"Okay. Let's start with you first," Landon said pointing to the little girl with a smile. "Are you ready?"

She looked at her mother who said, "It's okay, honey."

The little girl almost smiled and said very quietly, "Okay."

"Well, your new name is..." He waited until she finally smiled then said, "Abagayle."

"Abagayle? Why am I going to be Abagayle? I just wanna be Collette."

Benny snapped his fingers indicating he wanted his wife to 'shut the kid up' and she pulled her up on her lap and said, "We'll talk about it later, sweetheart. It's a very pretty name, okay?"

The little girl didn't even nod. She just looked down and sat very still.

"Ma'am? Are you ready?" he asked her.

She managed a full smile for once and Landon was stopped dead in his tracks. She knew he was staring, but she was simply beautiful. Several moments later he heard her say, "Are you going to tell me, Deputy Marshal?" Her question was asked very politely. Landon finally realized he'd zoned out completely as he looked at her.

"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking," he said unwilling to admit what it was he'd been thinking about. "Okay, so...let's see. Oh, here we go. Your new name is going to be..." He looked up at her and smiled. "Risa." He pronounced it REE-suh and he saw her smile again.

"It's beautiful. I was worried you'd make me a Betty or a Fran or..."

The fingers snapped again. "Yeah, yeah. So what about me, hotshot? Who am I gonna be? And it better be good."

"Um...well, it says here your new name is...Franklin. Franklin J. Alsgaard."

"Franklin? Are you shittin' me, kid? And what the hell kinda name is that All-guard thing anyway? Some kind of Norwegian bullshit? My God! This is so totally fucked up!" He turned to his wife and said, "Can you believe this shit? I go from Benito, a real name, to Franklin. Benjamin fucking Franklin. Frank, for Christ's sake! I'm a goddamned hotdog! Jesus fucking Christ. You assholes!"

Landon let him vent as did his wife and daughter. It was obvious this wasn't the first time or even unusual. Neither of the girls ever looked up let alone at...Franklin Alsgaard.

"I also have your new location," Landon said expecting another barrage of profanity. He wasn't disappointed.

"Oh, great. Let me fuckin' guess. We're moving to some corn field in fucking Nebraska or out the goddamned snow somewhere in Montana." He shut up for a moment then said, "Okay. Out with it already."

He went to light a cigarette and Knight loved being able to remind him, "Sorry, Mr. Alsgaard. You can't smoke in here."

"Mr. who? Oh, right. You know what? Fuck this!" He stormed out to the balcony where he could smoke and Landon asked Risa if she'd like to know where they'd be living.

"Yes, but first..." She looked to make sure she could see her husband and more importantly that he couldn't hear her. "I want to apologize for my husband. He's been under so much stress with the trial and all this and..."

"I understand, Mrs. Alsgaard," he told her. He didn't tell her understood a lot more than she was saying, but he did understand.

"It's really not his fault, you know," she told him as though she felt compelled to defend him and make Landon understand. Knight didn't respond. "Okay, so where will we be living?"

"Have you ever been to the Pacific Northwest, Mrs. Alsgaard?" he asked her.

"Please call me Ton...er...Risa." She looked outside for her husband then said, "No, never mind. Mrs. Alsgaard is actually just fine. I'm sorry, Deputy Marshall Knight. Please go ahead and no, I've never been out there. I hear it's beautiful, though."

"You can call me Landon," he said nodding toward her husband who'd already burned through one cigarette and was a second. "If you think it's okay."

"No, not unless we're alone and I don't see that happening so let's just keep it formal, okay?"

He knew she was a well-educated woman having graduated from Princeton with a degree in the classics. What he didn't know was how this beautiful, intelligent lady ever got lashed up with the likes of this Tony Soprano character.

"Okay, formal it is," Knight told her. "Your new home is going to be..."

The door flung open and 'Frank' took a seat. "Okay, now that the nicotine level has been re-cocked, lay it on me, kid," he said throwing his feet up on the desk. He smelled like a damn ashtray but Knight didn't say anything. He glanced at Risa who was again looking down at little Abagayle.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,778 Followers