Words of the Week 07

Story Info
Weekly vocabulary words for writers: 7/12-7/18.
850 words
3.72
76.2k
1
0

Part 13 of the 16 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 06/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers

Whenever I read, I keep a pencil handy and I underline words that I don’t know and dog ear the page so that I can go back and look them up in the dictionary. I have always been interested in etymology and even took Latin for three years. I hope that these words can help all of us in our writings. Be sure to check out your dictionary for additional usages of the words and spellings associated with changing the word from adjective to adverb to noun … etc.


ONSLAUGHT
noun

Pronounced: ON-slot

Meaning: An especially fierce attack.

Example: The Britons were unable to withstand theonslaught of the Saxons.

* * * * *

FERETORY
noun

Pronounced: FAIR-a-tor-ee

Meaning: A place for keeping an ornate coffin for the relics of a saint.

Example: Every two hours, the monks at the shrine of St. Dionysios in Greece perform a prayer service and open theferetory for viewing.

* * * * *

BREVITY
noun

Pronounced: BREV-it-tee

Meaning: Expression in a few words.

Polonius told Queen Gertrude that “brevity is the soul of wit.”

* * * * *

HIEROPHANT
noun

Pronounced: HIGH-ro-fant

Meaning: A priest in ancient Greece.

Example: Thehierophant portrayed in Tim’s history book was dressed in an animal skin and wore a crown of leaves.

* * * * *

PEJORATIVE
adjective

Pronounced: puh-JOR-a-tiv

Meaning: Having a tendency to make or become worse.

Example: The critic’spejorative comments angered the entire cast.

* * * * *

MNESTIC
adjective

Pronounced: NES-tik

Meaning: Of or relating to memory or the persistent effect of past experience of an individual.

Example: Granny spends much of her time reminiscing and performing othermnestic activities.

* * * * *

QUELLABLE
adjective

Pronounced: KWEL-a-bull

Meaning: Capable of being quieted.

Example: The restless crowd provedquellable at the sight of the entertainer they’d come to see.

* * * * *

ERADICATE
verb

Pronounced: ee-RAD-i-kate

Meaning: To do away with or destroy completely.

Example: Many wheat farmers use aerial sprays toeradicate weeds, diseases and insect pests from their fields.

* * * * *

VITREOUS
adjective

Pronounced: VIT-tree-us

Meaning: Of, relating to, derived from or consisting of glass.

Example: The hugevitreous wall of skyscrapers reflected the mountains and the sunset.

* * * * *

CHIVALRY
noun

Pronounced: SHIV-al-ree

Meaning: Qualifications or character of the ideal knight according to the romantic tradition of courtesy, gallantry and honor.

Example: To the knights of the Round Table,chivalry was of primary importance.

* * * * *

LITURGICAL
adjective

Pronounced: lih-TUR-gick-kal

Meaning: Of, relating to or having the characteristics of ceremonial or ritualistic worship.

Example: The priest donned hisliturgicalvestments before the mass.

* * * * *

AFFINITY
noun

Pronounced: uh-FIN-nit-tee

Meaning: Sympathy, especially as marked by community of interest.

Example: Marie felt anaffinity with the new chess prodigy, remembering how she had followed Bobby Fischer’s early career many years before.

* * * * *

JARGON
noun

Pronounced: JAR-gun

Meaning: The technical terminology or characteristic idiom of specialists or workers in a particular activity or area of knowledge.

Example: Anna was sure the computer programmers were speaking English, but theirjargon made it impossible for her to understand what they were saying.

* * * * *

SCOFFLAW
noun

Pronounced: SKOFF-law

Meaning: A contemptuous lawbreaker, especially one who ignores parking tickets.

Example: Thescofflaw tore up his ticket in front of the police officer and subsequently fined $500.

* * * * *

GNOMIC
adjective

Pronounced: NO-mick

Meaning: Characterized by expressive of moralistic wisdom especially concerning human condition or conduct.

Example: The calendar contained 12 Norman Rockwell illustrations, each accompanied by agnomic sentiment.

* * * * *

KINETIC
adjective

Pronounced: kin-EH-tick

Meaning: Relating to the motion of matter and the forces and energy associated therewith.

Example: Thekinetic theory of gases treats each molecule in a gas as a point, which has mass but negligible volume.

* * * * *

DIAPHANOUS
adjective

Pronounced: die-AF-fan-nuss

Meaning: Characterized by such fineness and delicacy of nature as to permit seeing through.

Example: The jellyfish were sodiaphanous that you could be next to them in the water and never know they were there.

* * * * *

ZOOPHILIST
noun

Pronounced: ZOO-fill-ist

Meaning: A lover of animals, especially a person concerned with the rights of lower animals and their protection from abuse.

Example: The notedzoophilist explained how deforestation is endangering several species of mammals and birds.

* * * * *

NUMINOUS
adjective

Pronounced: NOO-min-nuss

Meaning: Dedicated to or hallowed by association with a deity.

Example: A soft light seemed to glow from thenuminous vessel on the altar.

* * * * *

UMBRAGE
noun

Pronounced: UM-bridge

Meaning: Displeasure, resentment or annoyance.

Example: Hatred between nations disposes each more readily to offer insult and injury and lay hold of slight causes ofumbrage.

* * * * *

WALLOP
verb

Pronounced: WALL-up

Meaning: Gain a decisive victory over, beat by a wide margin, trounce.

Example: Coach Garrett predicts that his team will soundlywallop the opposing team.

velvetpie
velvetpie
1,283 Followers