Zedecker's Secret

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Steve's phone trilled, "It's DP..." Steve put the call on speaker, "Davey, whaddya got?"

"Your vernacular leaves a lot to be desired, Steve," David Pomeroy said with a laugh, "I'm calling because I have two provisos to add to the new rider -- mostly to limit your liability in having Andi sign, and then limiting Andi's liability. And don't make Andi an authorized signatory for Phoenix until the project is done or the contract is terminated, whichever comes first."

"But otherwise, the contract's okay?"

"It's not boilerplate, if that's what you're asking. I've combed through it and there's nothing alarming from a liability standpoint for Phoenix. Clause 7-A says Andi has to be consistently on site during the course of the project because she's the one signing, but that's more client neediness than a liability risk. Interestingly, Lewis Tremont has gone out of his way to make Joan Zedecker as attenuated from the contract as possible, but at the end of the day, that's not really our problem," David paused.

"Doesn't that mean we can't sue her if something goes wrong?" Andi asked.

"No reason to sue her. All the money is in a Trust. And you can sue the Trust. Tremont left it wide open. It's almost like he's daring us to dig into it."

"I have it on good authority that the Trust's beneficiary is Quinn Zedecker," Andi picked up the flashdrive, "Does that mean anything?"

David was silent for a moment, "Not as a potential liability to Phoenix, no. Quinn Zedecker is missing, presumed dead. Probate shouldn't be a problem. I can look into the charter documents for the Trust if you want."

"Nah," Steve shook his head, "Thanks for the help, David."

"No problem," the lawyer said, "Send my changes to Tremont and see what happens. If you guys decide to take this on, make sure Tremont sends me a fully executed copy."

David rang off and the Zhao family looked at one another.

"Take the contract, Steve," Tina nodded, "This poor woman has been crying out for help for a while now."

"Andi," Steve turned to his daughter, "Go send through DP's changes once you finish up the additions to the budget. Maybe they'll throw up all over it and this'll all be moot."

"Okay, dad," Andi got up and headed to the home study in the basement.

"I'll go talk to En Ming, see what she says," Tina said quietly.

"Seriously? She's a fortune teller--" Steve looked skeptical.

"And a very good one," Tina reminded him, "You'd be doing the right thing if you took the contract."

"I hope so. Because it's our daughter's neck on the line. Her name's the one going on the dotted line."

Later that night, Andi's dream took her through a kaleidoscope of eerie images. Flashes of Kei Shang's face, leering at her. Andi signing her name on the contract and Madame Zedecker laughing with glee.

And then the scene shifted. Andi was in a strange bedroom. There was a bed to her left. She walked closer. There was a woman in it. The woman was asleep, lying on her front. She was nude, the sheets covering just the top of the back of her thighs.

"Hmmm... you're home," the woman said softly as Andi approached.

Andi's eyes popped open. For the rest of the night, Andi tried to sink back into that dream, but the woman didn't appear again.

Chapter Four -- The Lay of the Land

"Ready?" Steve looked at his daughter. They'd just driven up to the Zedecker Estate for day one of the project.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Andi stepped out of the cab of the truck. Her mother -- following En Ming's advice -- had made father and daughter drink some ungodly concoction of Chinese herbs and warned them not to take any food or drink offered to them at the Estate.

Steve and Andi looked at the mansion, and then back at each other, "Seriously?" Andi asked her dad.

The two of them ran their eyes along the exterior walls; at least a quarter of the overgrowth of ivy had disappeared.

"Did Jeff get a head start on the project or something?" Andi asked.

"Nah-uh," Steve shook his head, "Jeff and his landscaping crew won't be here until tomorrow earliest. Maybe the staff got started for us, who knows?"

Once more, the two of them made for the East entrance. Frank Whitaker was at the door, waiting for them. He looked tired, older even, but his smile was wide and warm. "We're all so excited that you'll be starting today. Come right through. I want to introduce you to Stewart Bromley today, he's the groundskeeper."

Frank wound his way through a different set of hallways and doors and the trio found themselves in a beautiful solarium that looked out onto the vast grounds of the estate.

"Wow," Andi murmured, "What a view!" She wasn't wrong. The Estate stretched out towards the far reaches of the ridge on east side and expanded westward until it reached a lake.

"Used to look better," a croaky voice piped up, "Stewart Bromley, at your service."

Andi and Steve shook hands with the groundskeeper.

"Well, Stewart, tell us where you prefer us to start," Steve held up a rolled-up set of plans, "We have some ideas here, but you know this place better than us. Or maybe just let us make some headway on the clean-up, then talk about what's next? Up to you."

"Cleaning up first sounds right," Stewart scratched his head, "We haven't been... uh... super successful on the clean-up attempts but hope springs eternal!"

"It looks like you guys have already made a dent in the ivy out front, so it's headed in the right direction!" Steve smiled.

"Yes, well, we'll see if it sticks," Stewart said cryptically, "Oh, Ms. Zhao--"

"Call me Andi," Andi said.

Stewart smiled, "Alright... Andi, Madame Zedecker would like to see you in the dining room. I can show your dad around in the meantime."

Steve nodded, "Andi - remember what we agreed, okay? I'll take care of stuff out here."

"Okay dad," Andi turned towards the door.

Frank Whitaker opened it, "Let me take you to the dining room."

The two of them walked in silence until they crossed the entrance foyer.

"Wow, I've never seen an hourglass this big before," Andi exclaimed.

In the middle of the foyer was an hourglass with sand steadily flowing from the top bulb to the bottom. It stood at least six feet high.

Frank looked at it without emotion, "Yes. It's quite something."

"How long does it run before you have to turn it?"

"Uh... you know what, I really couldn't tell you," Frank said, "We must get you to Madame Zedecker."

Andi followed without question.

"I'll leave you to it," Frank said quietly as he opened yet another large oak door, ushering Andi in before closing it again.

Andi stepped into the empty room. It was cavernous. The whir of a small motor announced Madame Zedecker's arrival. Andi raised a hand in greeting.

"It's good to see you again," Madame Zedecker pointed at a chair, "Sit."

The wheelchair came to a stop right next to the chair.

Andi complied. Her client seemed frailer than before. The same oversized sunglasses masked much of her face.

"How are you?" Andi asked.

"Same old, same old," came the wry answer.

Andi smiled, "We're going to get started with the grounds today. Dad's getting a tour from Mr. Bromley as we speak. Is there anything we should think about for the inside of the house that's pressing? We'd be happy take your direction on where to start."

Madame Zedecker's heartbeat accelerated. Andi was, somehow, looking directly into her eyes again. And Andi wanted to help. The sliver of hope broadened a little.

"This house... this estate... has lately been, shall we say, quite mercurial," the old lady began, "It's lacked attention."

Listen for requests pretending to be statements. That was Georgie's advice. As an up-and-coming reporter with two whistleblower exclusives under his belt, it was advice Andi took to heart.

"Attention," Andi nodded sincerely, "We can provide that."

"Good, good," Madame Zedecker nodded back, "There's a lot of clean up to do."

"We're here to help," Andi looked directly at the oversized sunglasses and smiled, "Whatever you need."

Zedecker's face brightened, "Super---"

"Oh, getting acquainted, are we?" a low, smooth baritone interrupted.

Andi turned towards the voice. It was the Chinese man she'd seen at the window last time. He had been less imposing from a distance but up close, he had an immediate menacing quality to him.

"I'm Kei Shang," the man was carrying a tray with two steaming cups of tea.

Madame Zedecker gestured to Andi, "This Andi. She's the architect on the project."

Andi smiled.

Kei did not smile back. He took one teacup in his massive hand and placed it on the table in front of Madame Zedecker, before placing the second in front of Andi.

"Thank you," Andi said politely, knowing she had no intention of drinking the tea.

Kei rested the tray on the table, picked up Madame Zedecker's cup and handed it to her, "Drink this."

Madame Zedecker held the cup between two shaky hands. Andi leaned forward to help and managed to elbow her own cup enough to spill it.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Andi said (not at all apologetically), "That was clumsy of me."

Madame Zedecker smiled into her cup.

Kei's nostrils flared but he kept his voice steady, "I can make another one."

"Oh no, thank you. Please, no need to on my account." Andi righted the cup and grabbed a napkin from the tray and started wiping up the tea.

"Andi and I were about to go join Stewart outside," Madame Zedecker said, "Weren't we, Andi?"

Andi played along, "Yes. I want to make sure we are all on the same page before we kick things off."

Kei's eyes narrowed, "I don't think that's a good idea, ma'am. You're too weak to stay long outside."

Madame Zedecker held up her hand, "I won't stay long."

"Fifteen minutes," Kei hissed.

"Fine. Come on Andi, let's go."

Andi trotted alongside the wheelchair, which seemed to be accelerating beyond what would be safe.

As if reading her mind, Madame Zedecker remarked, "I assure you, I've become quite good at navigating this thing."

"I believe you," Andi replied as they sped into the solarium.

"Looks like they've gone outside," Madame Zedecker pointed, "Perfect. I have you to myself. Sit."

Andi sat down. Again, she felt the strength of Zedecker's eyes on her.

"This place is so special to me," Zedecker began, "And it's killing me... what's happening to it."

Andi cocked her head with concern, her client's voice shook with emotion.

Without thinking, Andi leaned forward and put her hand on Madame Zedecker's, "How can we help?"

The last of the Zedeckers almost burst into tears; not just because of the sincerity of Andi's words, but more because Andi was touching her. It'd been a long, long time since her hand had been held like this. Andi's hand was warm and imbued with strength. It probably means nothing to her, but it means everything to me...

There was a muffled shout from outside that caused both of them to look out towards the grounds.

"Uh, I wonder what that was about?" Andi asked lightly. She noticed a tear escape from behind Madame Zedecker's shades.

Andi quickly turned to grab the rolled-up plans from a side-table. She took her time unscrolling them to allow Madame Zedecker time to regain her composure.

"We thought we'd start here," Andi pointed to the northeast corner of the estate, "Seems like we could really resuscitate the arboretum and clear out some of the overgrowth."

Madame Zedecker sniffed and nodded, "There's a treehouse in there somewhere..."

"Would you like that removed or repaired?" Andi asked gently, "Was it Quinn's?"

Madame Zedecker seemed surprised to hear that name, but eventually nodded with a smile, "Repairing it would mean a lot, yes."

"Consider it done," Andi smiled back.

Madame Zedecker felt a little foolish, but she liked that Andi smiled at her. She liked that Andi asked about Quinn. She liked that Andi knew about Quinn. But that's a conversation for another day.

"What about the lake?" Andi scanned the plans, "You want to put in that dock you got a permit for a while back?"

"We abandoned those plans because Da-" Madame Zedecker paused, "... Damian developed a deep fear of drowning... and all types of untimely ends... But I suppose that's no longer a gating item..."

"I'm so sorry..." Andi said quietly.

Zedecker nodded, "Thank you," she patted Andi's hand, "Can you please take me out to the lake?"

"Of course!" Andi quickly set the plans to the side and opened the solarium doors. Luckily, the path to the lake was well-worn and allowed the wheelchair to move along without too much trouble.

When they eventually got to the lake, Madame Zedecker came to a stop. "Oh," she whispered.

Andi leaned forward, "Sorry?"

Madame Zedecker lifted a hand wearily, "Nothing. I just said 'oh'. I'd forgotten how beautiful this is. I'd always dreamed of building a cottage on the far side there."

"Why didn't you?"

"It wasn't my decision to make..."

Steve Zhao noticed the two women moving towards the lake, deep in conversation. It took Steve a while to wrap things up with the groundskeeper, but eventually the contractor got everything he needed, "Anything else, Stewart? Otherwise, I think we've got a good list of things to start working on."

Stewart shook his head, "Nothing for now. Let's see how things progress—Oh! Madame Zedecker is outside!" He shuffled quickly towards her.

Andi and Madame Zedecker were making their way back to the house when Stewart approached, his face lined with worry.

"I'm fine, Stewart," the lady of the manor said, "No need to be worried. I was just showing Andi the lake."

"Let me bring you back inside," Stewart offered, his frown deepening.

"Stop fussing," Madame Zedecker huffed, "Andi will bring me back inside."

Andi stepped forward and walked alongside the wheelchair as it picked up speed.

"They all treat me like I am about to keel over."

Andi smiled and joked gently, "Aren't you already keeled over?"

A beautiful laugh erupted from the wheelchair-bound woman. She came to a stop as she continued shaking with laughter. She nodded, "Yes!" She wheezed, "That's exactly what I was going to say!"

Andi chuckled, delighted that her joke landed. She moved behind the wheelchair and started pushing. Madame Zedecker didn't object and gave Andi the directions she needed to get back to the dining room.

"It's been more than fifteen minutes," Kei's voice was cold, "If you're not careful—"

"I was being careful," Madame Zedecker interrupted, "And I was outside for ten minutes. "

Kei could barely conceal his sneer of contempt.

Madame Zedecker ignored him, "Andi..."

Andi leaned forward. A faint scent of vanilla made itself known. Before Andi would process that, she felt Madame Zedecker's lips brush against her ear, "Thank you."

Andi put her hand on Zedecker's frail shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze, "Any time. I'd better go find my dad. We've got a lot of work to do."

Andi's father was talking to Fizzy about the outdoor lights and features when Andi made it back out to the motor court.

"I'll get started, boss, I should be ready with the basic layouts by the time Jeff starts tomorrow," Fizzy said, "Hey Andi, what's shakin'?"

"Lots to do, not enough time," Andi said automatically, distracted by vanilla scent that still lingered in her mind.

"Ain't that the truth," Fizzy said as he loped off.

Andi smiled as she replayed her recent encounter with Madame Zedecker in her mind. It was confusing. Madame Zedecker looked frail and elderly, but everything else about her felt just the opposite. And those last moments, when Andy was right up close to her client, it felt strangely intimate.

Steve turned to his daughter, "Everything okay?"

Andi nodded, "Yep. Just trying to figure this place out."

"What were you and Madame Zedecker talking about? At the lake?"

"It started with just regular plans, you know? Dock, maybe even a small cottage to go alongside..." Andi took a breath, "And then we just talked about... I don't even know... it was like she's been bursting to talk to someone for a while."

"Stewart talked my ear off," Steve chuckled.

"What did he talk about?" Andi asked, "We heard this big shout earlier..."

"Oh, that!" Steve raised his eyebrows, "We were just looking over the knot garden and an entire swathe of daisies exploded in bloom in front of our eyes. I mean, I think they'd been there all along, but it really did seem like they bloomed spontaneously. Never seen anything like it."

Andi blinked, "You think it's part of the Gu curse?"

"I texted a picture to mom. She says it's growth and life, so it's probably more like some sort of counter chi...."

"Good chi is good, right?"

Steve shrugged, "Yeah, I guess."

"I got offered tea by the caregiver dude."

Steve's head snapped up, "You didn't drink it, right?"

"Nope," Andi grinned, "Tipped it over instead."

"Good."

Andi nodded, "I might be reading too much into it, but I definitely got a bad vibe from him. Total control freak. Madame Zedecker, on the other hand, is a firecracker. She may look old and broken, but she's no lightweight."

Steve looked surprised, "Even though she might be the victim of some evil Chinese curse?"

Andi nodded, "I think she's been putting up a fight. Don't ask me how I know, but that's what I think."

"Feisty old lady. Great..." Steve said sarcastically.

"No, come on dad," Andi said, "I bet she's younger than she looks. I bet it's the curse making her old."

He stole a subtle glance back towards the mansion, "Here, let me catch you up on the plans, we've got eyes on us."

From the master bedroom window upstairs, Kei Shang and Madame Zedecker watched father and daughter lower their pickup's tailgate to spread out the work plan. Zedecker knew that Andi could be the answer to all of this, even though Kei Shang's deal had an impossible set of conditions. For the first time in the year-long ordeal, she was determined to find a way. And then this nightmare will be over.

"So you're betting on the young architect falling for an old crone?" Kei Shang smiled wickedly, certain that the last of the Zedeckers would fail and fail painfully.

With a bravery she did not feel, she replied, "I think we're going to get along just fine... and I'm not an old crone."

"I know that, and you know that," Kei sneered, "But Andi doesn't, does she? And you know the rules. You can't ask for help and you can't tell her why any of this is happening. If you tell her, she will succumb to my spell... just in time to watch you die."

Chapter Five -- The Request

"Can we do this again some time?"

Andi smiled at the woman whose hand she was holding, "What do you mean by 'this'? A date in the park? The thing that we were doing in bed this morning?"

"All of it," the woman smiled, "With you."

"If I say yes, will you tell me your name?"

The woman laughed, her eyes sparking, "You're not going to let it go, are you...?"

Andi squeezed the woman's hand as they walked through Overcreek Park, "We've spent so much time together, and we've come to know each other so well... but I still don't know your name..."

The woman's face became serious, and her eyes bore into Andi's, "I can't tell you. I'm sorry."

Andi had to catch her breath, which was what happened every time she looked into the woman's eyes - eyes that were beautifully mismatched: one blue, one hazel, "It's okay... It's just that I... um... I just like you so much..."

The woman blushed. Andi was gazing at her with such sincerity that it blazed through her. "The feeling's mutual," she said quietly.

Andi's face brightened with a handsome grin, "I've fallen for a woman who won't tell me her name..."

123456...8