All Comments on 'Finding Your Way Back'

by Dinsmore

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
The NavigatorThe Navigatorabout 17 years ago
Excellent

Your wonderful narrative took me back to 1943 when I first "...slipped the surely bonds of earth..." Your description of the first hour of flight instruction couldn't be better. But a stick shaker on a Skyhawk? I'll have to keep looking.

Your description of conquering fear was just in enough detail to touch those who have and warn those who haven't. I, too, have seen those who didn't make it, both in WWII and Korea. Thanks for reminding me that what we have left is the distillant of the best a lifetime can offer. Last night I heard my hero, a 101-year-old still active pilot talk about his journey "from Jennies to Jets" and marvelled at how fortunate, we the living, are. John Magee said it best: "...I've trod the high untresspassed sanctity of space, put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

TiggerTooTiggerTooabout 17 years ago
Thanks

Out of my high school class of about 25, three guys were dead within ten years, two by suicide. One of them went into the Marines, went to Nam, survived, came back home and killed himself. We were never close but I wished we could've talked it out. I don't know if it would have helped. A sad waste. War is legalized murder. <P> A great story. Thanks for writing. <P> Phil

SwedeqSwedeqabout 17 years ago
Thank you

Dins,

I'm not a pilot but I am former career military - enlisted. I augmented to a guard force that had to babysit the wreckage of a pile of trash that used to be a TA-4J. The two men that had to punch out were friends of mine. I never got all the details but they punched out in a flat spin and survived. Neither one was the same after that. Something about the light in their eyes dimmed after that day. One went on to F-14 school. The other left the Navy. I understand more of what they were feeling - from your story. I know I'll never fully understand but at least I understand a little more....

Again Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
trauma

There are people who walk amongst us who are the walking wounded, yet haven't gone to a war. Still they share the same trauma, the characteristics of your story, including the loss of humanity. I wish I could be the person I was.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Great

What I like about your stories is that you generally tell a good story whether or not sex is included. Also, interesting people populate them. It makes the reader want to care about them and maybe ponder their own lives and experiences. Lucky for us readers, you seem to be in a manic, creative phase. So we get to enjoy more of your little "treasures".

Boyd

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 17 years ago
Powerful!

Does anyone realize that your best stories contain the least sex? As an old cold war Sub Vet who spent time with several of the guys (some Seals) and a few cousins who were in Nam, I have a small understanding of this kind of problem. You really nail the emotions and the way of thinking and feeling about combat in all it's ugly forms. This is one hell of a great story, maybe someone will read it and be able to help a friend. That would be the best result ever! Thank You for your efforts.

cancapercancaperabout 17 years ago
good

yes i do like it and who cares if there is no sex any one can do sex thanks

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 17 years ago
Very Moving Story

A plausible construct (plot). Very romantic. Powerful writing once again from Dinsmore.

<p> At least our country has learned not to take our anti-war sentiments out on the GIs (Vietnam) this time (Iraq).

jack_strawjack_strawabout 17 years ago
Moving

For reasons of my own, I never aspired to a military career, perhaps because my father was career Navy. But I respect the job our servicemen and women do, and you've done a wonderful job of making us feel a little bit what they feel when they come back. I currently have a close family member serving his second tour in Iraq as a helo pilot. He seemed OK when he came back the first time, although there were suggestions from other family members that he had moments in his alone time when he fought the demons. I worry about him every single day while he's still over there and I'll worry when - God willing - he comes home (hopefully) for good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Congrtulations Great Story

One of the best I've read in the last few months. No sex, but wonderful romantic feeling between your two protagonists. Please keep writing.Great story.

60 Year old George

northbaybearnorthbaybearabout 17 years ago
Thank you

I'm not military or LE, so I can never know the physical, and especially, the psychological horrors of combat or an LE shooting scene.

I thank you for giving me a taste of what it's like to feel the horror and soul erosion resulting from such activity.

You've done a good service for me, and perhaps others who know little or nothing about the damage serving others can cause, especially the psychic trauma.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 17 years ago
Exceptional ... stellar... outstanding

one of the BEST things I have EVER Read here...

Just Bully

photographerphotographerabout 17 years ago
Been there

Those of us who have 'been there' and managed to come back understand completely the points and observations you made in your story.

It was an outstanding piece of work,

Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Oh Man!

Dinsmore, that was good, but almost too realistic for taste.

It was really good

Alvaron53Alvaron53about 17 years ago
Excellent authorship

Superb writing. Thank you, Dinsmore, for a story very well told.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
oh man!

the epilogue is messed up. my experience wasnt that bad. and it affected me forever.

ReadsalotReadsalotover 16 years ago
The journey back takes many forms.

I've never been in the military. In my late teens and early twenties I didn't see the value of it for me. As I grew older my outlook started to change, and I started to consider the Coast Guard. Those thoughts evaporated one October evening as the motorcycle my fiance' and I were riding on was hit head on by a drunk driver going the wrong way on a freeway. Life as I knew it ended in that shattering impact. For my fiance' life ended. Many months and years of physical recovery followed, but the emotional recovery still continues almost 30 years later. While I don't dwell on the events of that evening, they will always be a part of who I am. Over the years since that night I have learned things about myself, my family, and my friends that have allowed all of us to turn the sorrow and pain of that experience into personal growth. I wouldn't choose to do it again, but I am a better person for the experience.

The fact that Dinsmore's stories generally include some military background leads me to the following statement: My heartfelt thanks to those who have served, or are serving in our nation's armed services. To those of my parents generation who fought during WWII and Korea. To the Korean vets who also went to Vietnam. To the Vietnam vets who, apon returning home, suffered the anger of our own nation. To those who fought in Grenada and Somalia and the other "forgotten" conflicts. To those who served in the first Gulf War, and those who serve today in Afganistan and Iraq. To those serving here at home, or anywhere else: I thank you all!

piratejonpiratejonover 15 years ago
Five stars is not enough

Been there. Done that. Didn't get the girl. Best story i have read on this site. Period.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Farewell old friend

A 21 year old Marine Lance Corporal keeps watch. Out of the 45 members of his platoon that came to this meatgrinder, 22 days ago, only 19 are left. All the others have been killed or severely wounded. They only have another 8 days left there, and have been promised a much better assignment at a larger better protected base when they leave.

The place Con Thien Vietnam the time late September, 1967. The much better base they they are going to when they are relieved, Khe Sanh. Out of the 45, only 12 actually make the trip.

For many years, as a fellow veteran, I helped keep his demons at bay. I spent many holidays with him helping him deal with his post tramatic stress. I like to think that I helped him, but a couple of weeks ago, after about 40 years it became too much and he took his own life.

I had been trying to get in touch with him, and finally managed to get in touch with a mutual friend. The friend told me about the suicide. I have rarely felt soo hopeless and lost.

Those who have never been under enemy fire or lost friends can't understand. Many are well meaning, but say things that are incredibly thoughtless or cruel. He walked away 40 years ago, but he died there... he just didn't know it.

Good bye old friend... Siemper Fidelis.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 15 years ago
Thanks

Semper Fi

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
you have been there

you know your planes and you know your people. Been there myself but not that intense. Great story. Thank you. Jim in AB

rproctorrproctorover 14 years ago
Skydiving

I loved your story even with the fact that a first time jumper has two instructors physically attached to the jumper. I know of no jump school that would allow a first time jumper to dive with one instructor floating nearby. I was a skydiver until my stroke hit me. I am a Vietnam Vet to boot.

Even with the glaring error I realize that this is a story of two people facing their demons and coming out the other side so that love can make a start and the skydiving was just a plot device.

auhunter04auhunter04about 13 years ago
what to say

nothing, if you cannot find a way out,,,,find a way in

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
F__ __ __!

I thought I had successfully buried the torment from my 343 days at DaNang and this story comes along. Dinsmore, my friend and brother, this is the best story on this site I have read. Thank you. And now I'll see what I will do with these awakened memories.

DP

DinsmoreDinsmoreabout 12 years agoAuthor
DP Talk to me!

ANYTHING I can do to help. Our life has its bumps but talk tome.

amazonbombamazonbombover 11 years ago

I never served in direct combat but military duty has its own trials and tribulations even without that. I saw a lot of things that I wish I could forget, but learned a lot of things about myself as a human and a woman. I can "handle" more than I ever thought but sometimes I still have to "find my way back". Thank you for writing.

gulshannraygulshannrayover 10 years ago
FINDING YOUR WAY BACK

A VERY BEAUTIFUL STORY NICELY NARRATED WITH UNMENTIONED BUT TO BE EQUALLY ANTICIPATABLE ENDING/FINISH. I RATE THIS STORY WITH THE AUTHOR'S ANOTHER STORY " A MAN among WOMAN " WHICH HAS BEEN EQUALLY GOOD. WISH THE AUTHOR ALL THE BEST TO KEEP UP THE EFFORTS TO PRODUCE SOME MORE SUCH WORKS CLASSIFIABLE AS " MASTERPIECES".

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 9 years ago
Fear and horror do such vicious things to our minds

Some people manage to move through it and keep in some sort of perspective - many maybe most - do not.

To effectively get past it we need to recognize it for what it was - a piece of your life - NOT all of it. It should not rule you or own you - but it can help you to be better or simply appreciate what you are and what you have -

Great one here Thank you -

RhomanovRhomanovalmost 9 years ago
*****

Watching a friend die in a bad situation changes you. Those who say otherwise, lie.

Very good tale.

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
Definitely a Masterpiece

It is good to read a story where the hope that people can escape from the demons of post traumatic stress. I wonder if this only happens to those that really risk their lives or if all those involved in the Military feel the stress even if they are working in supplies?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Thank you for your service!

Your recollections have touched me, your words make it seem like I am there, the moments are painful yet cathartic. Thank you for your service, and thank you for bringing your memories and past encounters to our lives, I am so glad you made it home and while it may not be considered manly, this is an eHUG, for you and the ones that participated with you as well as a special place for the ones that, despite heroic effort, were not able make it home!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Nice Story

Enjoyed it immensely. One of the few.👌

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
30 years

As I write this it is approaching the thirty year mark of when the plane you are in has become rock flying through the air and you only along for the ride. Yes when the handle is pulled and the rock continues and you stop and look up to see the canopy you start checking for hands and feet. Then in our case we start counting the chutes. They days that followed are still blank. There is times when I still wake tired and shaking. I walked away and six weeks later I was in another plane working again. Others would not have that chance. So many times you ask yourself did I do all that I could to overcome the horror. For me the answer has been no there is another thing to try and so I continue. For others of my time the answer is yes they have no more try except the final goodbye. Weather you where Army, Marines, Air Force or Navy we all know someone who has said the final goodbye. The hardest part is very few that have not been in that place understand the statement " I am a U.S. fighting man I will not give up without a fight". I can do many things on my own but together We can do anything. AFAW (NAC)

rightbankrightbankover 7 years ago
thanks for the reality check

it is hard to do, but every once in a while it is necessary to be reminded of the events in life that shape us. It is what we do afterward that is important.

Let's hope these two form a successful support team for each other

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Great Story

As are almost all of Dinsmore's. If it were only that easy. Re-enact the situation that lead to your PTSD and it will be alleviated. PTSD, in my opinion and my experience, is, for most of us who suffer with it, simply incurable. Sure, there are shrinks, there are self-help groups, and there are all kinds of meds. But unlike the characters in this

story who had their single incidents of trauma, many of the warriors on the battlefield, be they the grunt riflemen, the pilot who fires the rockets or drops the napalm, or the doctors and nurses who try to put damaged people back together, many times the trauma is just overwhelming and becomes beyond repair. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the pilot mentioned in the story's epilogue.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Authenticity

The more of this authors work I read, the more I feel the genuine sense of personal experience; man has either done it himself or knows someone who has. To be able to translate into a readable story is what sets this man apart from we mere mortals. From the deep green of my vision I salute you. John M.

flarebel2327flarebel2327over 5 years ago
animal plantet

they have a show on Saturday night called wolves & warriors . there are former military men who have been helped more by working with wolves than any doc or meds have done for them . they go all over rescuing hybrid wolf dogs that people had no idea how much time would be required to own 1.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Great Read

Thoroughly enjoy your writing. I was enlisted and spent six years in the Army with the 82nd Airborne Division. I was a sport parachutists too in my youth - it’s not an old man’s sport. So I can relate some to your story. I’m convinced that the most terrible of wounds don’t always come from bullets or bombs but by being forgotten by the nation you served. Thank you for your stories and for your service.

Airborne!

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

Great Story but actually a chapter 2 would be nice with a conclusion.

DOC226DOC226almost 2 years ago

I REALLY ENJOYED the story - right up to the point that I read the Epilogue. While it described another traumatic event, it was unlike either of their traumas and distracted from a Real Good Story. In my opinion it would have been better to leave the Epilogue off.

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

Thank you, a really good story.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 1 year ago

It's been several years since I read this story. I still think it is one of your best!

5

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Great story, Dinsmore, thanks very much. A.great example of what a stone-cold bitch

PTSD can be. Thanks again for a superb story.

Five Stars

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous