Going Feet First Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dazed, Pretayus looked back to Galen with his one unswollen eye to see the muzzle of his Colt a mere hand-width away from his forehead.

"And this is for everything else."

A smirk crossed Pretayus' lips and he shut his eyes. With one last blast his head snapped back with its contents spattering across the floor behind him.

For a few moments the Private just sat on the body of his foe just breathing in and out and staring at a lifeless, smirking face. Feet shuffled to his left, and he turned to see Dreek stepping into the room with a deep frown on her face. She looked down at her hand, rolling her fingers as though to cast a spell, then looked to him.

Without thinking Galen reached for Pretayus's neck and pulled up on remaining talisman, one he remembered quite well. A silver disk with a ring of black gems around the edge with a sort of dial in the middle. Upon rotating this middle part, a wave pulsed through the air, and he could feel his magic senses returning to him.

The pendant he wears, made of cursed dark silver and enchanted kornan stone. I need you to destroy it anyway you can.

Necela's orders were echoing in his mind, and he immediately pocketed the pendant and its component so he could figure out how at a later time.

"You are sure killing the last connection to Fretheim here was a brilliant move?" Dreek wondered aloud.

Galen stood from the body, holstering his pistol. "He wouldn't talk. He was ready to die. But you heard him. Fretheim is goin' to the mountains. With how much that's cleared out of this house, he's bound to be in some sort of caravan so that means he ain't goin' too fast. We just gotta get to the surface and look south."

The Commandant raised an eyebrow at him. "So simple? Is your dark vision so far reaching?"

"That's the thing. They don't have dark vision. They need light... is something burning?"

Dreek immediately sniffed the air and turned back to the hallway with a questioning look aimed at the few gathered by the doorway.

"Fire trap in a study on the first floor," Flak piped up. "Flames must be spreading. We should probably consolidate around front and let this fucker burn to the ground."

..............

The flames had spread to the second floor of Fretheim's manor as the group gathered on the front lawn at a comfortable distance away from the heat of the growing flames. Farok took to the gate to both stand watch and take time to himself. Ssz'Vasbryn along with the two other Sun-Kissed went out to take positions on the rooftops around the manor with the other two Drow.

Left relatively alone with Galen, Flak, Petra, Haru, and her aide, Dreek pulled a map from her armor and rolled it out on the ground, the burning house acting as her light. Galen himself however was stripping off his webbing and his black, Sun-Kissed jacket and slowly pulling on his airborne coat. Pushing his arms through the cotton sleeves was like donning a second skin, the homely feeling of it easing the burden on his heart just a little. Enough to bring that determined smirk to his face as he patted that screaming eagle on his shoulder and put his gear back on.

"We're here," Dreek said, pointing to Fretheim's house on her map of the city. "Redding expands into the underground, particularly into the walls of the trench. Several cargo elevators go from the bottom to the level just shy of the surface. His best path to the top would be those."

"His men were searching the prisons for me when we escaped," Petra added. "That means he wouldn't have left until tonight. Two Zetrans ago at the most."

"Meanin' he's close. We just get to the surface and look for the light," Galen said.

"Too easy," Haru chimed in. "He's smart. Probably didn't even leave his house until he saw us coming. Xerivan is combing through there right now, but I bet he had an escape tunnel as I sure didn't see any cellar. That enclosed stairwell could have easily concealed another in behind it and a smart man would break for Atzla before cutting south. A lot of trees, a lot of cover."

With a furrowed brow, the Third Commandant nodded in agreement. "Valid point. That would mean taking the Trench back to Atzla. Perhaps your Shadow Shifter could morph into something fast and silent, carry a group to the top of the trench to scout the surface. If that proves fruitless, then head along the top of the trench until we see the convoy."

"Two birds, one stone," Galen muttered.

Black smoke rolled over Dreek's map, headed straight for Haru's feet. The witch's demon moved silently up her side until it formed as a raven on her shoulder with its beak clicking unintelligible sounds that had her nodding her head. After seeing the Commandant's questioning look at her feet, she shrugged.

"What's the Shadow saying?" Flak asked.

"Escape tunnel. A lot of fresh prints in the dust showing that Fretheim was here when we arrived. Petra got the timing right, he isn't far."

"So let's get him!" Flak interrupted. "Details are hashed out. Turn your shadow pet into some fucking, giant snake so we can all mount up and kill the mother fucker."

Raising one eyebrow and chuckling aloud, Haru retorted, "A giant snake?"

The Sergeant shrugged. "I'd rather be on something that glides over the ground than something that prances or leaps along. Better chance at not being noticed."

Her brow furrowed and she stared at him for a moment. "It's a childhood fantasy, isn't it?"

"Fuck off," the Marine snapped defensively. "Yes, or no?"

The witch looked to the bird on her shoulder, quirking her mouth to the side. Shrugging, she said, "Why not. Haven't ridden Xerivan as a snake before."

"Does anyone else get a say in this?" Galen questioned.

Haru and the raven on her shoulder shook their heads in unison. "Nope. It's decided."

Rolling her eyes while muttering under her breath, Dreek folded up her map and stuffed it back into her armor. Turning to Keetle, she ordered in Drow, "Gather the others and take our wagon back to the castle. Link up with the First Commandant, report the situation and wait until we return."

"Yes, Commandant," Keetle replied, bowing her head before turning and heading off.

"Smart thing, sending your girls back to the castle," Haru commented. "We will probably have to leave blondie behind as well, unless we want to overburden Xerivan on the return trip."

Farok perked up at his post, turning to look back at the group. "What did you say?"

"Are we going to send 'im back to the castle, too?" Galen asked.

"If they do, I'd like to request they make a stop first," Petra interrupted. "A friend of mine in the city would be very pleased about what we're about to do. She could also help get the others back to the castle without raising an alarm."

"Who?" Dreek questioned.

Petra unconsciously licked her lips, "Captain Devon's sister."

..............

Scales shifted under Galen's feet as he stood upon the base of Xerivan's massive skull as the Shadow Shifter, taking the form of a hundred foot-long viper, slithered along the top cliff of the Sundered Trench. A methodical grinding noise of a stone over steel, no louder than a whisper, was the only sound to break the silence of the night. And that was from Haru running a sharpening stone over the edge of her kopis while sitting perched on her Demon's head.

Riding in behind the Private was a madly grinning Flak staring out into the darkness of the ground below. Petra and Dreek were seated in behind him, with the former actively scanning the bottom of the trench to the furthest reach of her dark vision.

The plain above the Trench had proven barren of any signs of movement, no lights nor rustle of grass telling of anything outside Redding's perimeter, so now the five warriors swept the zig-zag pattern of the Trench for any sign of Fretheim and the women he carried. With the speed Haru's demon could move, Galen knew this search would not last long.

"There is a town not much further up," Petra said in a low voice. "If Fretheim stopped there, or got caught up in the narrow streets, we could ambush him on the other side."

Haru looked up from her sword to the Trench below, quirking her mouth as she thought about the Neko's idea. Galen, however, suddenly perked up, his head snapping forward to the next portion of their trek. A broad grin formed on his face as his rifle's safety was flicked off.

"No need," he said, just as the dull glow of lanterns became visible around the next jagged corner of the trench. "There they are."

With a deathly silence, Xerivan slithered around and everyone turned to see a line of wagons charging along, the horses moving at a near-gallop. The convoy was two carts wide, six long, each of them moving in perfect unison. From his position Galen spotted the excessive amount of guards on the front and rear carts. Goods and supplies filled the wagons behind and in front of them, while the carriages in the middle...

Closing his eyes and sucking in a lungful of fresh, night air, he could feel both Celia's and Iim'treemay's presence. Faint, distant, but there.

Finally. Fucking finally.

"Anyone here get motion sickness?" Haru asked, turning to her passengers.

When nobody answered, she smirked. "Good."

The beast beneath them exploded into fog. For a moment, Galen nearly screamed out, but something touched his lips as his body felt... suspended. Blinking, he saw Haru before him in this impossible darkness, the Witch grinning before she whispered, "Xerivan is taking us down now in his smoky form. Once this is over, meet me at the West Cathedral of Cendria in Redding if you still want your gifts back."

That black fog exploded around him and he hit the ground rolling. Rifle tucking in he did a full summersault before springing to his feet and turning toward the sounds of men yelling in alarm. The horses pulling the front two wagons of Fretheim's convoy dropped, the covered transports coming to an abrupt halt that launched their drivers and co-drivers from their seats.

Sweeping his head around him, Galen found Petra and Dreek to his immediate right, both ready for battle, and Flak and Haru taking up a readied stance to his right. In behind the convoy, a bestial roar unleashed from Xerivan, the giant snake snapping its jaws upon a wagon full of Fretheim's mercenaries and swallowing it, men, horses and all.

The rest of the carts spread out and formed a row across the breadth of the trench and dismounted by the nearly two dozen men that rode them. The curtain over the window on one carriage was pulled back, someone peeking out and gazing upon the five warriors that obstructed the path.

The Private's heart jumped as he heard his named called from within, though it quickly settled back into place once Fretheim's men formed two defensive lines of ten men each between him and their boss: one around the convoy, and the other directly in front of Fretheim's carriages.

At the same time, the rear cart that hadn't been struck by the Demon offloaded. The six men that had been onboard turned to face Xerivan before he exploded into fog and drifted away into the night. This left the men in both awe and fear as they drew up their shields and slowly retreated back to Fretheim's personal transport.

"How do you want to handle this?" Haru asked, looking past Flak to Galen.

Grip tensing up on his weapon, the Paratrooper frowned as he looked at the both frightened and determined face of the knights before him. There were only a few full magazines left on his combat webbing. Enough to win the fight, but at the same time, there didn't have to be one.

"There's been enough bloodshed tonight. We give 'em a chance," he said, Dreek turning to him with a questioning look. "I'll go forward and talk. You got my six if it goes south, right?"

"Xerivan is ready," Haru answered.

The Private nodded and slung his rifle. Fretheim's men tense up as he stepped forward, their swords drawing back to stab him if he drew too close. When he raised his hands up, both of them empty, they seemed to relax slightly, though not by much.

"That's close enough," one of the men growled. "Who are you?"

"Private Galen Martin, United States Army, 101st airborne division. I'm here to give you all a chance to walk away."

"Walk away?" that same man echoed. "We are the Taleroth Marchers. We don't abandon our contract."

Mercenaries... Galen thought.

"We just finished killin' all of your men back in Reddin' and burnin' the manor down to the ground," the Private explained. "There's been enough bloodshed here that we don't need any more."

"Fuck yourself, 'Private Galen Martin,' we don't back down. Kill him!"

Three men rushed forward as the soldier's rifle came off his shoulder and into his hands. Aiming from the hip he fired once at each of them before he was in reach of their swords. When those three dropped, a shotgun touched off behind him to blow another away. There was a flutter of cloak and steel that dashed forward on his right and took on two men at once. A jet of magic flame torched another pair on his left. After the shotgun touched off a second time, a furry blur bolted forward and pounced forward to tear into another.

In this violence, Galen breathed out and started marching toward Fretheim's transport just as its door swung open. The other three carriages opened up as well, the last of the mercenaries pulling a line of girls out and handing them off, one girl to each of the sell-swords. From there, blades came to throats, and with their fourteen hostages, Fretheim's men formed a line. A slew of Drow curses that erupted behind Galen when he and Dreek saw Iim'treemay restrained in the back of the luxury transport; the Princess, still dressed in that revealing dress she wore the night prior, was none-too compliant with the two men it took to keep her down.

When the sounds of battle ceased, Galen stopped and watched as one last face was brought forth from Fretheim's carriage. His heart nearly stopped the instant that golden glowing body stepped forward from her seat, still wearing what she had been the day he saw her last. The instant her eyes fell upon him, her silky voice sang in his ears as she cried out.

"Galen!"

"Celia!"

A man stepped out behind her, grabbing her by the hair to pull her head back and bring a knife to the side of her neck. Galen's rifle came up, aiming at a blond man dressed in a fine black suit. The Private's allies came to his side as well, each of them glowering at the mercenaries before them.

"So you are the Demon that had Pretayus so damn scared... Put that down before someone's blade slips."

Galen scowled at the man holding a knife to his Elf's jugular as he slowly lowered his rifle.

"Fretheim, I presume?"

"One and only," he replied, tilting his chin up and raising his head proudly.

A sneer curled up on Galen's lips as he growled, "Let the girls go, and you can walk out of here alive."

Fretheim shook his head, "No, no, no, no, no, you don't understand. I spent years gathering what I have today. I will never give them up. So either I am going to leave with my collection and you are not going to interfere, or we start slitting throats. In fact, you have until I count to five. One."

Galen's eyes widened and he immediately snapped his rifle up, Flak doing the same with his shotgun. Dreek's focus narrowed on the Princess in the carriage behind the noble.

"If you even bruise any of them, I'll fucking kill you," the Private growled.

Fretheim frowned. "Two. I'll take them with me to the grave before giving them up."

"Galen!" Celia shrieked.

"I can make you suffer a very long time, pathetic surfacer," Dreek hissed.

A chuckle escaped Fretheim. "Wouldn't bring your princess back from the dead, underworld whore. Three."

Haru sighed, shaking her head. "So much drama, nobody can just take a moment to just... freeze."

She snapped her fingers, the air pulsing as her magic enveloped Fretheim and his men. Though the women they held onto still shivered and cried in the grasp of their captors, they had nothing to fear from the men behind them who couldn't even blink.

When the other four realized what Haru had done, their weapons lowered and Galen immediately bolted forward. He dashed right up to Celia, and the second he pried Fretheim's hands away from her body, the Tree Elf tackled him, both her arms wrapping around his chest as her lips went for his.

Galen stumbled, falling backward to the ground and landing with a solid thud as the back of his cuirass hit the dirt. He wheezed as he lost all breath but still didn't hesitate to grapple onto the Elf lying on top of him and let out a laugh. Tears were streaming from both their eyes as their lips mashed.

When their kiss broke, Galen swallowed a lump in his throat before he tried to speak, only to find himself at a loss. All he could manage to work from his throat were the three Elvish words, "I love you."

"I love you," Celia whispered back, burying her face in his shoulder. "I missed you so much."

"More than you know."

"How cute. I wish my spell could last forever, so you two could enjoy this moment," Haru said while pulling her blade out of another of Fretheim's men.

"What did she say?" Celia asked without moving her head.

"That we're not done yet. We have to get up and finish what was started."

She paused a few moments, but then nodded, "Okay, but I have something to give you when you're done."

Celia rolled off of Galen, and with a slight groan at a new ache in his back, the Paratrooper stood up.

Flak and Haru went through Fretheim's men one by one, pulling them away from the slave girls and slitting their throats while Petra led the Nobleman's "collection" away from the bloodshed. Upon seeing the Neko, Celia smiled broadly and ran forward to hug her.

"Petra! I saw you when you watched the house at night! You came for me!"

Glancing at her blood-stained claws, the Shadow-Stalker refrained from fully returning the embrace, though she did guide the Elf to where the other girls were gathering. "I was tracking you from the moment Pretayus captured you. Galen was never going to give up on you, nor was I."

Galen stared a moment as Petra escorted Celia away from the mess being made of the Convoy, but he quickly turned back to what he had to finish and sighed. Dreek was approaching Fretheim's carriage, and he moved to throw the frozen Nobleman off the cart to clear a part for the Commandant so she could get to the Princess inside.

There, Iim'treemay patiently stood with her arms chained to the waists of two mercenaries, both of whom had their arms locked around hers.

"Neither of you wasted anytime at all," she stated flatly in Drow.

"We made haste from the moment of your capture, my Qu'essan," Dreek replied as she retrieved a set of tools from her belt to work on the locks holding the Princess while Galen peeled the two mercenaries' arms off of her. "Though there is much to explain as many things transpired since the surface witch stole you form the Underdark."

"Alright, but first..." The Princess turned to Galen as he freed her from one of the men. "Kill the two humans here and take care of that 'Fretheim' for me. I leave his fate to you so long as he dies."

Galen bowed his head, "Yes, my Princess."

He pulled out his bayonet and stabbed it through the neck of one of the knights, who suddenly reanimated as he fell to the floor, his body shaking while he gripped his neck. Pushing that image out of his mind, the Private circled around Dreek and the Princess and slashed his blade across the neck of the other mercenary, who's reaction matched the first.

1...1213141516...18