Speed of the Sound of Loneliness Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At this stage, my head was spinning and I was in danger of blurting out some crazy question about what job?

Jennifer shook my hand with a firm grip and smiled. "I hope you'll be happy here, Jack. It's a great company." With that, she turned and left the room, closing the door behind her.

"Jennifer isn't hired to serve coffee; we have a rule that everyone gets to act as host or hostess to guests and it was her turn today. It could be me tomorrow." Aser said with a grin.

"Jack, I don't want to leave you dangling here forever. Here's what we've got in mind. You would become our Logistics Manager. To start with, you would need to assess and develop operating systems for production planning, inventory management, sales forecasting and purchasing. Keith said you had some ideas about how that could be done with a minimum of fuss. You'll need to do the training of the staff and you'll need to work with Phil to develop the budget. We have a financial accounting system and we're hoping that we can integrate your systems into it, if possible. Otherwise, we'll have to decide how to proceed. Does any of this sound like too much or not within your scope of experience?" he asked.

"Uh ... well, I won't pretend I've done all those things, but I spent too much of my time at the old place trying to make a bunch of spit and baling wire systems work. I learned a lot of tricks and I think I know where most of the land mines are buried. I won't go on record to guarantee an easy development because I don't know your business, but I think we should be able to do all those things and maybe even more if the gods are with us." I hoped I sounded optimistic because that's the way I felt. "I'd like to include customer service and order entry into the equation because it will be necessary at some point and sooner is always cheaper than later." I looked at the two men for their reaction and the first thing I saw was a great big grin on Aser's face and a look of relief on Phil Tupper's.

"Then what's important now is to discuss your terms of employment. We expect you to succeed, but like everyone, top to bottom, we all go through an evaluation period. We will have a meeting with you after three months, six months and a year. If everything goes the way I expect it to, you will have annual reviews conducted by myself with input from the other management staff. Understood?"

"Yes. It'll be quite a change. I've never had a review. I'd just get yelled at now and then." I laughed.

"Well, I don't know how anyone can work without knowing how they are doing. Anyway, I asked Phil to prepare a compensation package that reflects the work load, job category and industry standards. He's had it typed up and I don't want you to rush through it. I'd like you to use the open office at the end of the hall and look it over carefully. If you have any questions, Phil's office is right next door and I'll be here as well. When you're ready to talk about it, come and see us. OK?"

"Yes ... of course." I stammered. I looked around the room for a moment and then just before walking out, I turned back to them.

"I've never had a job interview before ... at least not a formal one. I can't imagine they are all like this. However you have made this decision, I'm delighted I get the choice to join Interstate. I knew I wanted to work here when I left yesterday afternoon and the only difference today is that I'm even more sure. Thank you very much. I feel very good about this." I turned and walked down the hall to the empty end office.

I sat down with my head swimming. I tried to look at the employment offer, but I couldn't focus and I needed to calm down. I walked out to the lobby and asked for a glass of water. The receptionist pointed to an alcove off the hallway as she was talking on the phone and I waved my thank you. As I filled the glass, another thought came to my mind. Once I've got all these systems in place, what's my job? Purchasing Agent? It was a question that needed to be answered. As I walked down the hall I noticed Aser's door was closed but Phil's was open and he was reading something on his computer screen. I knocked softly.

"Phil, something I guess I should have asked earlier. When all these systems are in place, what becomes of my job?"

Phil laughed and leaned back in his chair. "If you get all this stuff up and running, you can probably name your job. However, I think Aser is looking for a Chief Organizer. Off the record, we don't intend to just sit with this one operation. Our product is light and therefore, shipping costs are an issue. We think we may have to develop two or even three more locations to properly service our national clients. I don't think you have to worry about working yourself out of a job, Jack. By then, you'll be ready to retire."

I could hear my breath as I let the air out of my system. I had been unbelievably tense over the past couple of hours; from the drive out here to the meeting in Aser's office. I still didn't know what the offer was. I needed to sit down and concentrate ... now! I nodded my thanks to Phil and walked next door to the empty office and closed the door. I sat down and pulled the papers before me.

I began to deliberately read each line of each paragraph. Luckily, it wasn't the usual legalese. It was written in plain English and when I got to the salary figure, I froze. They were offering me over fifty percent more than SandStacker had paid me. But that wasn't all. It was the starting salary and I would have a salary review after three, six and twelve months. If I passed those reviews, I would receive increases; a modest 5% at the first two reviews, but rising to 10% at the year end review. I would have a fully paid health plan as well as a profit sharing plan which was company wide and a special executive bonus plan that was based on outstanding performance.

I didn't need to read any further. I put the paper down, leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes. Something had happened to me that I didn't or couldn't understand. I wasn't just the new, improved Jack Tompkins. I was luckier than I had any right to expect. I couldn't figure out why, but I was almost ready to thank Molly tonight for throwing me out. Everything seemed to stem from that day. Was I living in a dream world? Was this some kind of sick, cosmic joke being played on poor old Jack? Well, I thought, if it is, I plan to enjoy every single moment of it. I picked up the papers and opened the door and knocked on Phil's door. He looked up and smiled and asked;

"Well, what do you think?"

"It's very generous. I'd be a fool not to accept. Where do I sign?"

"No signature necessary, Jack. Why don't we go tell Aser and we can get started on your new career." he smiled.

We walked down the hall and after a brief tap on Aser's door, Phil opened it and we stepped in. For the next few minutes we talked about starting date, first priorities, introductions to employees and suppliers as well as location of my new office; interestingly the one I had been using to look at the employment offer.

"When do you want to go down to the dealer to select your car?" Phil asked.

"Huh?" was my clever response.

"Your company car ... Oh! Let me guess. You didn't get to the second page ... right?" he asked smiling.

"I guess I didn't ... I couldn't imagine there would be any more ... I guess I was wrong." I said feeling very small.

"Well, no harm done. You get a company car, a Toyota Camry. Aser wants us to project an image of quality and still be American. The Camry is built not far away in Kentucky. You can select a color you like at the dealer. I can go with you and let you know what your options are." Phil volunteered.

"Uh ... thanks. That would be great. Can we do that next week? I'm just still trying to absorb the idea of the new job." I said.

"I understand." he said. "I suppose you didn't notice the part about the personal computer. You'll be receiving a Toshiba Satellite Laptop for your office and when you travel."

"Travel?"

"Yes." Aser interrupted. "I want you to get to know our suppliers and their operations. In the beginning, this systems project is going to require you to visit operations that already use the contracting supplier's equipment and programs. There's only so much you can do in this office. You need to be out and learning our business, our suppliers and our industry. It's going to be a very busy time for you." he said seriously.

I nodded. This was still a difficult change in my life to absorb. I picked up the employment contract and folded it into my inside pocket of my blazer. I would read all the gory details at home this weekend. I was too unsettled to manage it now. I needed to calm down and try and put this wonderful two days into perspective; if I could.

"Are there any other surprises?" I asked with a smile.

"No, I don't think so. Welcome aboard." Aser beamed as he held out his hand. I shook it gratefully and then Phil's. I was still convinced this was some kind of hallucinatory dream. It couldn't be true. It was too good to be true. I walked out in a trance, said good afternoon to the receptionist and headed for my car. I sat in the car for some time before I put the key in and pulled out of the lot and headed for home. There were going to be some very big changes in my life and they were going to happen almost right away. I needed to calm down and get a grip. They were going to pay me a lot of money to do a lot of work. I had better be ready.

On my way back to my apartment, I thought about what I might want to change about my life. Obviously, I could afford a better place to live, but where? Should I move to Drayton? If I was going to be traveling, I would need a proper wardrobe for business. I might need a passport. I'd better apply soon. I couldn't afford to let Aser and Phil know that I had never really been anywhere before. I had to learn as I went. Expense account? I saw something about that in the agreement. I better read that carefully. Shit, so much to learn so fast. I hoped I was up to it.

When I got home, my message light was flashing again and I pushed the button as I walked by toward the kitchen. It was Molly, reminding me of our 'date' at seven thirty at Bruno's. Jesus, it wasn't even noon and she was thinking I might not remember. I thought about it for a minute. Perhaps she's anxious. Maybe she's heard about my new job and wants in on the action. No, couldn't be. I haven't told anyone. What's on her mind, I wondered. Well, whatever it is, for a change, I have the upper hand. She doesn't know anything about my new life. My appearance is going to be a big enough shock for her. I had already decided I was going to keep my new life to myself. Let her wonder. She was in for a big shock and it was coming at seven thirty tonight.

-0-

The Speed of the Sound of Loneliness is from the John Prine Songbook. John is a good 'ole boy from south Indiana.