When You're Near Me

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Don't bother the help."

Nodding, Ashley mused. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Don't worry. You're no bother." Jessie said, then realized her remark may have been taken as cavalier. "I didn't mean..."

"It's okay. I know what you meant." Ashley assured her friend.

When another customer demanded her attention, Jessie excused herself. "Be right back." It only took a few moments for the bartender to serve up the requested drinks before she returned to where Ashley was sitting. "I'm surprised to see you here tonight. You didn't say a word yesterday."

Feeling full of courage, Ashley teased. "And what word is that?"

"That you were coming." Their eyes met for a brief moment before Jessie grinned again. "You know what I mean."

"Yeah. I do." Ashley's attention was diverted for a moment when she heard a loud roar across the bar. Obviously, Morgan and her friends were having a great time. When Ashley saw Breanne's glum look on her face, she sighed. Turning back to Jessie, the brunette excused herself. "I need to check on my friend."

Jessie nodded. "No problem. I'll be around."

"I'll be back in a bit. You never did get my water, ya know." Ashley winked at her friend before she left.

"Sorry." Jessie called after the brunette as she watched Ashley walk away. Jessie's blue eyes seemed transfixed on the sway of the brunette's sexy hips packed inside those tight blue jeans. The bounce in Ashley's step was hypnotic. Shaking her head from the sexual musings, Jessie noticed Jack walk though the back door. "Everything okay?"

"Yep. I had one of her friends take her home." Jack was a fun-loving guy and wanted all of his customers to have a good time, but not at the expense of the help. He dropped an arm over Jessie's shoulder and whispered. "Davey just came in. Give him the usual."

Jessie nodded.

Last week, when Jack called a cab for Davey to get home, the older man caused some trouble, so the cab company informed the owner of Belle's not to call them anymore. Jack had on occasion taken some of his customers home, but he didn't relish the idea. "Hey, you see Krista tonight?"

"She called. Said she might stop by later. Steve's got a cold or something." Jessie cleared the bar of several dirty glasses before allowing her eyes to seek out Ashley again. When she did, Jessie saw the brunette sit down next to her sullen-looking friend.

Ashley could tell that Breanne was in a foul mood. It seemed that Morgan was paying little attention to her girlfriend. "How ya doing? Need something?" Ashley asked.

"A new girlfriend." Breanne spat, but not loud enough for Morgan to hear.

It seemed Shae had brought a new girl to the bar and Morgan was devoting more time to the very fem newcomer than Breanne.

Ashley wanted to be sympathetic to her friend, but she also wished Breanne would just loosen up and have some fun. "Ask her to dance?"

But instead of that question, Breanne leaned over to her girlfriend. She tugged on Morgan's shirtsleeve. "Can we go home now? I'm bored." Breanne was tired of pretending to have fun all the time.

"What?" Morgan's dark eyes glanced at her girlfriend. "We just got here."

"I wanna go home." Breanne whined.

Morgan shifted closer to her girlfriend and quietly whispered in a harsh voice. "We didn't get here until late because of you and now you wanna go?"

"Yes." Breanne's brown eyes glared at her partner. She couldn't take much more of Morgan flirting with the new girl. Her jealous mind was working overtime and it had worn out her last nerve.

Morgan scooted back and met her girlfriend's glare with one of her own. "Fine. You go!"

That sent the dental assistant over the edge. Tears formed in her eyes and Ashley had to move fast. "Breanne. Hey." The brunette gently tugged at her friend's arm. "Come on. Let's go outside for a bit."

Fuming, the older woman was led away as Morgan turned back to friends.

When they were outside, Ashley tried to console her friend.

"What does she think I am?" Breanne yelled.

Ashley knew that both Morgan and Breanne had their faults. Yet, it was like both of them could only see their side and blame the other for the direction their relationship was heading. "Just calm down, okay?"

"I don't care anymore." Breanne was in tears.

Touching her friend's shoulder, Ashley pulled Breanne into an understanding hug. "Let me go talk with her. You stay here, okay?" When Breanne didn't answer, the brunette sucked in a deep breath then walked back in the bar. She headed directly up to Morgan. "Hey."

Laughing at some joke Shae told, Morgan finally turned then asked. "Where is she?"

"Outside."

Morgan looked at Shae. "I'll be back in a sec." The dark haired woman motioned for Ashley to follow her. When they reached the front door of the bar, Morgan turned around. "I know what you're going to say. But I can't take much more of this."

Ashley pursed her lips, not know what to say exactly.

"I just wanna have some fun. I like being around people." Morgan shrugged. "She knew that when we met."

"Yeah, but you're in a relationship and you have to take into consideration her feelings as well." Ashley reasoned.

Morgan grunted. "If I did that all the time, we'd never go out."

Being more of a homebody herself, Ashley could understand that about her friend. However, she also knew that getting out every once in while was important. "Not all the time. Though she's feeling a little left out right now. Maybe if you took her home, she'd feel like you want her."

Morgan rolled her eyes. "What do I have to do? Tell her all the time?"

"Yes." Suddenly, Ashley realized that that was exactly what Breanne needed. In order to feel loved, her friend need to be told, while Morgan was more of a person that needed to be shown. Breanne did that by doing lots of little things for her partner.

The dark haired woman thought for a long moment. "Okay. Fine."

"She's waiting outside." Ashley nodded toward the front door.

"Let's go then." Morgan reached in her pocket for the car keys. When Ashley didn't follow her, she turned back around. "You coming?"

The brunette bit her lower lip before turning quickly around to the bar area where she saw Jessie nod then smile at her. Ashley smiled back. She turned back around and said to Morgan. "No. I'll get a ride home."

"You sure about that?"

"Yeah."

Morgan shrugged. "You mind telling Shae and the rest that I'll see them next week."

"Will do." Looking through the window, Ashley watched Morgan walk over to her car. The dark haired woman hesitated a moment before taking Breanne in her arms. She saw them kiss, then Morgan opened the door for her girlfriend.

Letting out a deep sigh, Ashley turned around. She dreaded her next move, but had promised Morgan. The brunette felt Shae's eyes crawl up her body as she approached the booth. "Hey."

Shae jumped up, stepping closer and waggled her eyebrows. "You came to get me, huh? 'Bout time."

Backing up, Ashley cleared her throat. "No. I just wanted to tell you Morgan left with Breanne. Said she'd see you next week."

Shae shifted her body from one foot to the other. "That still leaves you and me."

Nodding to the new girl, Ashley asked. "What about her?"

"Babe, I've got more than enough for both of ya." Shae licked her lips as she waggled her eyebrows again.

"Nah." Ashley easily dismissed the tall woman. The brunette maneuvered around Shae, heading straight to the bar.What you got, I ain't buying.

"Your loss." Shae called after the brunette.

Ashley heard the smug woman as she walked toward Jessie at the bar and knew she wasn't missing a thing. A huge grin appeared on her face when she sat down on the barstool.

Handing the brunette her water, Jessie noted the mysterious smile. "What's that for?"

"Just happy."

"Uh huh." The blonde didn't know what produced that genuine smile, but it made the bartender happy, too. "Where are your friends?"

Ashley removed the cap on the bottle. "They left." When Jessie cocked an eyebrow in question, the brunette explained. "They had a little disagreement."

"Oh, okay." Jessie paused then in a softer voice said. "I'm glad you decided to stay."

Shyly, Ashley met happy blue eyes. "Me, too. Though I'm gonna have to find a ride home. I came with them."

"No problem, I..." The bartender was interrupted when a young woman walked up to Ashley and asked her to dance. The blonde held her breath for a long moment until she heard Ashley decline.

The dejected young lady walked away.

"You don't like to dance?" Jessie asked.

"Yes, I do. Just not in the mood right now." Ashley sipped her water.

Jessie nodded. "Well, I better get back to work."

"Okay." Ashley was content to sit while Jessie served several customers. Everyone seemed to like the bartender, and she noticed several of the customers, both men and women, flirting with Jessie. But each time, Jessie shrugged off their advances with such ease that the suitor didn't know they were being rejected.

During the evening, several women asked Ashley to dance, but each time she politely turned them down. Jessie kept a close eye on her friend, noting that Ashley didn't dance all evening. Every chance she got, Jessie spent as much time as she could talking with the brunette.

"Jessie?"

Jolted from her musings, Jessie nearly dropped the glass in her hand. "Huh?"

"Why are you so skittish tonight?" Jack asked. When Jessie shrugged, he continued. "Davey's gonna need a ride home."

Jessie hoped he wouldn't ask her.

"Think you can close up by yourself?" Jack asked as he surveyed the remaining customers in the bar. "I'll clear them out before I take Davey home."

"Sure. No problem." Jessie was relieved. She didn't think Jack would ask her to take Davey home, but that remote possibility caused concern for one brief moment since Ashley was still there. The blonde knew Ashley would need a ride home.

Jack collected Davey and advised the last few patrons it was time to pack it up.

As the owner of Belle's herded the last of the customers out, Ashley frowned, knowing it was closing time. When Jessie walked over, the brunette asked. "Guess I should get going?"

"So, you're not gonna help me close up shop?" Jessie winked.

Ashley's face brightened. "Yeah, I can help. What do you want me to do?"

In a flash, it crossed Jessie's mind to say.Just sit there and look pretty. She quickly shook that thought off. The blonde briefly wondered why her mind continued to stray in that direction. Instead of answering Ashley because she was afraid of what she might say, Jessie locked the front door after Jack left and turned off the outside lights.

At first, Ashley thought the blonde was ignoring her. "Well? Do you want me to do something or just sit here and look pretty while you do all the work?"

When Jessie heard that comment, her mouth dropped open but nothing came out.

Not sure what came over the bartender, Ashley jumped off the stool. "Maybe a little music, huh?" The brunette walked to the jukebox that was already playing a soft country song. She perused the song selection. "What's your favorite number?"

"Huh?" Jessie was confused.

Ashley turned. "Your favorite number?" A thought occurred to her. "Never mind." She just as quickly turned back around, dropped in a few coins, and pushed two numbers.

Jessie stared at the back of the brunette as Ashley leaned over the jukebox. She couldn't take her eyes off of the young woman. It was something about the way Ashley moved, the way she talked that made Jessie feel captured every time they were near each other.

Ashley noted that several songs were ahead of the one she selected to play. Cocking her hands on her hips, Ashley turned then looked steadily at Jessie. "Now. Where do we start?"

Jessie figured she better get her mouth engaged before she lost complete control of her feelings. But all she could do was point at the tables.

Ashley grinned at the silence-struck woman. "We're going to play charades, huh?" The brunette walked directly up to Jessie and when she was within inches away, Ashley took the bar towel from the blonde. "I'll be needing that."

Jessie finally shook away the dazed look on her face. The blonde grabbed several glasses from the table along with some napkins. When she tried to reach for one more glass sitting on another table, a long lock of hair fell across her face. Jessie tried to blow it out of her vision, but it just fell right back where it was.

Smiling, Ashley saw her friend's dilemma. The brunette reached over and lifted the stray lock, tucking it behind the blonde's ear.

Jessie felt a shiver echo through her body as the brunette's finger brushed over the edge of her ear. "Thanks."

Their eyes caught in that single moment and something very familiar fell into place. "You're welcome."

Finally, they both returned to their work at hand. It didn't take long for the two of them to clear the tables and wipe down the bar. Jessie knew Jack would come in early and sweep up as along as she restocked some of the whiskey bottles.

************************

The bartender dug into the cooler, pulling out a bottle of water. She held it up. "One for the road?"

Ashley took the offered bottle of water. "Thanks. You mind if we sit and listen to the music for a bit?"

"Sure." Before Jessie pulled up a barstool near the corner of the bar, she grabbed a bottle of water for herself. Sitting across from each other, both women sat there until the blonde held up her bottle. They clicked their plastic bottles together.

"What are we toasting?" The brunette asked with a raised eyebrow.

Jessie shrugged before she said. "Friendship."

Ashley nodded before taking a sip of her water. Not quite sure what to say, she fell easily into the soft music playing in the background.

"You have fun tonight?"

Ashley nodded, only allowing a brief thought to cross her mind about the tension between her friends. "How long have you worked here?"

Taking a deep breath, Jessie remembered her first night working for Jack. It was after the first game of the season. "Ever since I started playing ball for the Cougars. Seven years." It dawned on her that somehow time had slipped away without her taking much notice.

When Ashley recognized the words to the song that started to play, she smiled. "That's the song I like."

Jessie listened to the familiar song a moment then decided to ask. "What kind of mood are you in?"

Ashley cocked her head. "Why?"

"Are you in the mood to dance?"

Ashley nodded, adding a shy smile.

"Come on." The blonde jumped off the barstool and waited. "Well?"

In a bold stroke of confidence, the brunette took Jessie's hand, leading her slowly to the small dance floor near the jukebox. Ashley's right hand dropped to the blonde's hip, pulling Jessie closer. The brunette placed her other hand on the blonde's opposite hip just above Jessie's waistband.

Jessie dropped her head slightly, smiled, then looked into Ashley's inviting green eyes. Her hands slid up Ashley's arm, coming to rest near the top of the brunette's shoulders.

When blue eyes met green, Ashley's pounding heart accelerated. The brunette sensed the warm, familiar feeling that being near Jessie gave her.

As the music played, Ashley guided the blonde easily across the floor. Their bodies were so close they could feel every motion, every nuance as they swayed to the song playing.

Jessie leaned in closer, allowing her cheek to brush against the side of Ashley's face. The soft music and mesmerizing touch of the brunette's hands on her hips stirred long forgotten sensations throughout her. Their bodies moved in tandem, fitting perfectly together with each beat of the music.

The brunette slipped her hands around Jessie's back as she luxuriated in the softness of the blonde's body next to hers. A satisfied moan escaped as Ashley sighed in deep contentment.

Their bodies moved as one vessel, sailing away on a sea of hopes and dreams. Jessie moved back slightly to look deeply into Ashley's eyes. The flecks of gold embedded in the brunette's green eyes captured Jessie as she tried to maintain control of the way she was feeling. In that moment, the world slipped away and nothing and no one else existed beyond the feel of Ashley's arms around her. The blonde felt her heart lay open to the brunette and she briefly wondered if she should try and hide what she was feeling. Slipping her head back against Ashley's face, the blonde realized she never wanted to let go.

Ashley swayed to the side, bringing the blonde with her as they continued to dance to the song, 'When You're Near Me'. The brunette gently rubbed her cheek up the side of Jessie's face as her eyes fell closed. She tightened her hold on the blonde, wishing that the night would last forever. Ashley knew she was on the edge of a precipice.Baby, here I go.

Lulled into the sensual siren voice of the singer and the soft, seductive touch of her dance partner, Jessie silently echoed the words from the song.I've fallen deep in your spell.

As the song ended, their bodies slowed, but refused to move away from each other. Finally, Ashley pulled back just enough to gaze into Jessie's dreamy, blue eyes. The brunette chanced a brief look at the blonde's lips. Seeing Jessie lick her lips, Ashley swallowed hard before ever so slightly moving forward. The magnetic pull both women were feeling compelled them to move closer. Every tingling sensation of their over-sensitive bodies sprang about in chaotic merriment as their lips inched closer and closer, until suddenly the blaring sound of the next tune wafted through the air as the jukebox played the hit song, 'YMCA'.

The spell was broken as they both stepped back. Conscious of what almost happened and the nosy interruption, Jessie looked at Ashley in silent understanding before both women burst out in laughter, breaking the comforting tension.

************************

Jessie turned off the engine after pulling up in front of her friend's apartment. Neither woman moved as they sat there in the car, both deep in thought. The brunette pondered what had transpired between them on the dance floor, while Jessie wondered about the implications of their near kiss.

As Jessie gazed at Ashley's profile silhouetted against the bright moonlight, the blonde felt herself falling. It scared her and exhilarated her entire being all at once. But the sullen expression on the brunette's face prompted Jessie to ask. "You okay?"

The brunette only nodded slightly as she looked thoughtful for a long moment, contemplating Morgan and Breanne's relationship. Their love had traveled a long and winding road that was once filled with passion now dulled into accepted tolerance as each of her friends busied themselves with their own wants and desires. Ashley asked herself if she was ready to face that kind of challenge in a relationship and prove her love for another would never be destroyed. Realizing that Jessie was looking at her, she offered the blonde a small smile that did not reach her eyes.

"What's on your mind?" Jessie asked after noting a far away look in her friend's eyes.

"Nothin'."

"Uh huh." Jessie wasn't convinced.

Ashley thought back to the circle booth her two friends had occupied earlier in the evening at the bar. She remembered the hurt look on Breanne's face as Morgan engaged in a lively conversation with Shae and her new gal pal. The brunette gave a nonchalant shrug. "Wondering how two people who used to love each other can end up hurting each other so much."

Nodding thoughtfully, Jessie asked. "Your friends?"

"Yeah." Ashley let out a deep sigh. "When I first met them, they were so in love." The brunette turned in her seat and looked directly into Jessie's blue eyes. "You wouldn't be able to tell it now."

1...45678...23