All Comments on 'A Date With His Ex-Wife'

by Just_Words

Sort by:
  • 77 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good one.

SemperSolus0198SemperSolus0198over 1 year ago

A big greasy dump on her gravesite might help alot as well.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 1 year ago

Hope it works out!

5

26thNC26thNCover 1 year ago

Great story. When I see Just_Words name on a post, I give it a *5 and put it in my favorites even before I read it.. He hasn’t let me down yet.

BaggyUKBaggyUKover 1 year ago

Cool short tale on both fronts. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I liked the moment where Harvey realized he had a date with his ex-wife. All in all it was refreshingly different. 5*

AngelRiderAngelRiderover 1 year ago

George was an avuncular kind of guy. I know, not much of a comment from me but how often does one get to use words like that :)

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 1 year ago

Nice. George transforms from an insensitive buttinski to a thoughtful friend, and Harvey irrigates a slab of granite. Oddly satisfying and hopeful. Thanks

300WSM300WSMover 1 year ago

Nicely done and a different than usual perspective at the end. One never really knows where a helping hand might come from.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 1 year ago

Thoughtful and well crafted. This was direct and complete. Thanks for posting it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I’m with 26thNC on this one. Just_Words never fails to entertain. So many aspects of the story were unusual and thought-provoking….even though it was short. That’s a real talent. But he probably meant Good Shepherd.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 1 year ago

Very good, thanks

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 1 year agoAuthor

Thank you, everyone! I wasn't sure there was enough substance in this little story and I'm glad to see that people enjoyed it. These comments are a lot of fun to read. I think avuncular will be my word of the day. Be well and thank you again.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 1 year ago

A big nothing burger. "I have a date with my ex-wife." I assume to piss on her grave? Tell us! Show the dinner party.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Who knew urine could be so transformative?

A very good short.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66over 1 year ago

An unexpected treat! Nicely told. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Honestly…I had to read the last couple paragraphs a couple times before the point of tne story sunk in. Once it did…I just bathed in the glow of its powerful meaning. Just superb!

.

5 *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Short, but with an actual character arc. Well done.

RanDog025RanDog025over 1 year ago

I liked it. 5 BIG ONES!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Worth reading but it lacks angst; just unemotional dialogue. Four stars ⭐️ for this one.

Frank66Frank66over 1 year ago

Dang it! finally, after reading other stories here that left me uninspired, here comes one of my favorite writers. But, after getting the characters lined up, a little background, the plot formulated...... here comes the word- Epilogue. Wait- what??

That empty and meaningless juvenile act of pissing on his ex's grave, to jump start his new life- well, that's kind of symbolic of this story, isn't it?

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good Shepherd, obviously, not Sheppard. Duh.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Very well written with George's enlightenment. His burgeoning humanity was inspiring. For such a short story, one of my favorites. I hope the cheap whore died a slow, painful death.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 1 year ago

Maybe he's not such a dick head and there's hope for George. As for Harv.... oops, Harvey, there's always hope. Good story with a wide open ending. Thanks

SyzyguySyzyguyover 1 year ago

A nice focus on a conversation and its (likely) outcome. thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I’m waiting for the first idiot that leaves the comment, “I want to know what was in the letter.” The author told you what was in the letter! Great story!

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 1 year ago

Epilogue:

This is how an old life ends and a new life begins. It's a choice, a cathartic moment when a man decides to reclaim his worth by no longer allowing others to define him. And it's a time when a man can discover that he has more friends than he knew. rofl why rofl and epi thats a few sentences long on a half page story thats funny

servant111servant111over 1 year ago

Just move on people there’s nothing here…not even an outline.

AethurAethurover 1 year ago

Left wanting more. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Read some comments first so I was not expecting a likeable tale here. I found that I liked the story. I also liked the thought of pissing on the grave of the one that had literally pissed on him while she lived. Hopefully he'll fare much better with the woman that George is setting him up with. I would like to read a follow up on the results of that dinner party set up. LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Too thin of a plot to be engaging. But thanks for the effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Is it legal to have a morally good person in LW category?

ribnitinribnitinover 1 year ago

You jump POV between two people's heads.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

George is the underestimated, truly good soul here. His instinctual choice is to extend empathy and support to Harvey, even though his brash and boisterous nature might have led some acquaintances to believe it more likely he would deride the widower, at least in his own mind, as a hapless and impotent cuckold. However things turn out at the grave and at the dinner party, I suspect Harvey will truly come to appreciate having George by his side.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I was torn between a QuickMagazine 4 or 5, decided to go with the latter. Heartwarming tale of acquaintance that suddenly becomes a real friendship. Two good guys expanding their comfort zones. And far as I'm concerned, this is complete as is. You don't need a weatherman (or Nobel laureate) to know which way the wind will blow. Yes, he'll piss on her grave. Yes, the dinner party matchmaking will be a success. Yes, this is a fine little 5. Even though I don't see what's so "avuncular" about it.

stewartbstewartbover 1 year ago

As they say ... you have to gird your loins and make a new start ... so here it is George. Balls in your court!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great little story, 5 stars. Thanks for posting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good job in describing the vile mind of immature women who play with the emotions of those they love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

VERY well done.

5-stars

MissMudMissMudover 1 year ago

You quit writing too quickly. Started out well and then just died!

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 1 year ago

Nice scene between acquaintances. It felt like a bridge between other stories. Harvey and Claire each, and together, would complete the bridge.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 1 year ago

Good stuff, really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for posting. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Some storues are worth reading more than once, this is one of them. We each have lots of stories in our past and present that helps to form our character. Thanks for sharing...BH

miket0422miket0422over 1 year ago

Couldn't spare a few more words to actually detail him pissing on her grave?

She definitely wasn't a loving wife. Leaving a confession letter for him to find while he's in the midst of grieving her death? That's about as selfish and spiteful as I can imagine a wife being.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

He could of pissed on her grave no problem. All he has to do is to piss in an empty whisky bottle and pour all of it out on her grade. If anyone challenged him all he had to do is show the empty bottle and tell them he gave his wife one last drink!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Nicely done.

Cwsmooth2000Cwsmooth2000over 1 year ago

Very good story

The end is a little disjointed

Cwsmooth2000Cwsmooth2000over 1 year ago

The ending makes me think his wife is still alive!

Also he is still married..

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Really liked George! He cut the crap and grew serious in just when Harvey needed him to. Trying to set up his emotionally damaged sister-in-law, while just a little thing, shows he is probably a good man to have as a friend. Thank you to the author for writing a grown man into this story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Just Words has a keen understanding of men's psychology. I'm not sure if the story George told about pissing on his step-father's grave was true or bullshit but it certainly hit the right note with Harvey. Nice touch. 5*

Viper2011Viper2011over 1 year ago

Kind of story that makes you think. I liked it.

ChopinesqueChopinesqueover 1 year ago

Kindness. A friend. Good ingredients to work with!

Helen1899Helen1899about 1 year ago

5* from me, stories like this make you feel warm.

oldtwitoldtwitabout 1 year ago

Oh that’s quite a story, somewhat surprising how you made this work, good description, good character set

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 1 year ago

@ribnitin Re: "You jump POV between two people's heads." - That's why it's written in 3rd person POV, that's when it's allowed.

\

@Cwsmooth2000 Re: "The ending makes me think his wife is still alive!" - I don't see that at all. He explicitly says that she died, and even if somehow she's still alive, he said he's got a date with his EX-wife, so how can he still be married?

nixroxnixrox10 months ago

5 stars - I like this story as well - I guess I have another 120 to read.

FlynnTaggartFlynnTaggart9 months ago

5 stars, completely unexpected direction from the title, thought it might have been a reconciliation story then though George was one of her lovers but nope, kept me guessing the whole way. I've love an expanded version of this story, dealing with the grief of the letter and the aftermath including Harvey's healing.

IrishLaddy59IrishLaddy598 months ago

Bravo. What a wonderful story. Bittersweet.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

An excellent story; explained (for those with the capacity to understand) everything the reader needed to know as to why Harvey was in the bar and what his intentions were when he left. But I guess some people just need to have everything explained to them (Cwsmooth2000, MissMud you know who you are).

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShades8 months ago

Thanks for your writing.

lc69hunterlc69hunter8 months ago

short and sweet

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Loved this piece. Moment in time for readers to fill in.

LOVE slap-hapy-papy #9 ( assnomeous )

RePhilRePhil8 months ago

Snap shot in perfect focus

gatorhermitgatorhermit7 months ago
Took me two reads to get it…

Excellent little flash story. I read it too quickly the first time. Five stars.

H. JekyllH. Jekyll5 months ago

I must say I true like this odd, different little story. It takes infidelity and consequences in an entirely new direction, and it leaves enough untold to keep the reader thinking,

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Very very good story. Makes you think and wonder. BardnotBard

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Wow, good story, but the ending made it amazing. Great insight. The epilogue was perfect. Need more of that kind of thing in our world. Need a lot more of that kind of thing on this screwed-up website...

TrainerOfBimbosTrainerOfBimbos3 months ago

I feel like Harvey should have drank a few more beers before going on his date.

Miguel_TugaMiguel_Tuga2 months ago

Portanto, o amigo deu-lhe a excelente ideia de mijar no túmulo da traidora para encerrar todo o assunto, e ainda providenciou um futuro amoroso para ele.

Haja bons amigos.

desecrationdesecrationabout 2 months ago

I like how George turned out alright in the end. Sometimes someone else's story spurs a person toward kindness. Especially if they were good enough to be the clueless one in the cheater's cycle.

26thNC26thNCabout 1 month ago

Whatever it takes.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJust_Words@Just_Words
I suppose I write for many of the same reasons that others do. First, I am exorcising my demons. I use writing to explore my thoughts and emotions, sometimes embracing, and perhaps ridding myself of, my darker thoughts and sometimes finding happier themes to celebrate. It s...