All Comments on 'A Different Kind of Woman'

by magmaman

Sort by:
  • 36 Comments
JennyBearJennyBearalmost 14 years ago
Outstanding!

I loved it, TY for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Great Stuff magmaman!

A perfect short story, nice plot, very good writing!

Most important to me, I could read it straight through, all the grammar was correct, no misspellings (I think).

Some folks will accept bad writing, I can not.

If you watched a movie, and it had a lot of stops, starts, jarring and sudden visual interruptions plus disconnected dialogue, but you still carried on watching that's how reading a badly written story feels.

I constantly stop, go back and try to understand what was meant in the sentence or paragraph. After doing too many of those, I just stop reading and look for another good story.

Of course it's different reading stories from folks like Winterfrog, because 1) I know his native language is not English, and he does not pretend it is

2) the setting is in his own country that he knows well

My expectations are different, and that is why I enjoy his stories too.

kitty5670kitty5670almost 14 years ago
Wonderful!

Beautifully written!

bruce22bruce22almost 14 years ago
Yet another Winner

You are going to break my addiction to LW. What wonderfully realistic characters you present! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Not up to your standards

Usually, I really like your stories. This was disappointing. You create an engaging , endearing character in Alice, then have her change into an unfeeling jerk...really out of sync with the character you created.

magmamanmagmamanalmost 14 years agoAuthor
Engaging, endearing?

I have to comment on that critique, because that exact same thought crossed my mind while working on the story. What kind of woman would she be when once again they meet at a future date?

A young, impressionable and happy very young woman, yet close to completely protected from life then goes out into the world.

Sure, she is in love, or thinks so, with the man back home. But the world is a tempting place, she has friends, they have fun, she finds out about life and things..and sex, the variations.

More than a decade passes, a bad marriage fails. What returns to the man who finally did not/could not wait for her? The innocent child has long since vanished.

Older, harder, more knowledgable for certain. Yet the final scene was meant to demonstrate that deep inside remains the playfulness, even though the exterior might hide that.

Just MHO,

Thanks,

MGM

extemporeextemporealmost 14 years ago
One of your best

At your worst you are pretty good. This was outstanding!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Wow

What a great story!

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Thanks

A great story about a good man.

0649d0649dover 13 years ago
I could see it coming

all along. Even Alice's father, Ron, knew that Sec didn't really belong in her world and that's why he wanted to get him educated so that at least he could get a respectable job. I know very few examples where a woman could really respect a man beneath her social status, especially when they grew up in very priveleged circumstances and with equally priveleged people for friends. Besides that, her lack of understanding why he couldn't have sex with her just showed that she was not good for him anyway, even if that does sound harsh! She wasn't really raised up very well and is not able to deal with genuine loving relationships with other people.

AnotherClosetReaderAnotherClosetReaderabout 13 years ago
Mystified

I've read plenty of stories on here about guys who refuse to be a 'devirginizer'. Weirdest concept next to cuckold for me. I don't think I'd ever met or heard of a real life hetero guy refusing to get some trim, (young fella, middle age, older but still able) just because she was a virgin. Even church kids, they can be the horniest ones, probably due to repression or enforced guilt or some crap like that. Maybe it's a generational thing, but it still sounds weird to me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Good stuff!

Great read, kept me hungry for more!

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Very nice longer story

This story was long enough that you were able to really develop our understanding of Sec, and, Alice for that matter. It seemed a little strange that everything with Kathleen took place on page 5 (meeting, marriage, kids, etc.) but a really good read. Thanks!

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years ago
What can I say?

Only thing I can say is, I concur with the opinion of the rest of the commentators. Excellent story, great writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
A really good story

This was a very finely crafted short story, good development and fine pacing. I enjoyed thinking along with Sec. Beautifully done!

TavadelphinTavadelphinalmost 12 years ago
Great theme -

Truly too bad the innocent little girl could not keep her head on straight - it was almost too predictable.

I was never clear on why she thought it would have been so different if he had taken her that first time - she would have still gone out and wanted to see what else was there - just like she did after she did have him. She just took way too long to learn to know what was important and seems like she never quite manage to live that way.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
One of the most unique species of female characters ever !

Just when you think she's just a girl - she acts like a woman , then vice versa. I've known a few ... not that way for I get flustered and sometimes impatient. So nice how the author caught lighting in a bottle in her description. Great read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
brilliant story....

pity about the poor little rich girl but glad the guy got the right woman in the end and a great job tooo....loved it...

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 10 years ago
Very interesting romance

Lots of twists and turns. Logical bur poignant ending. Five stars for sure.

fanfarefanfareover 10 years ago
interesting and enjoyable story

M, I just want to congratulate you for creating such an excellent work of believable and realistic fiction. Plus the bonus of a most excellent ending, which is the most difficult part of writing for all authors.

It has been some years since I had last visited a coal town and things were changing, modernizing, for good and for bad. Very different from my memories of living in a company town when I was a child. I think you captured the essence of those isolated mining communities and their inhabitants, very well.

gara5289gara5289over 9 years ago

I like how it came full circle and doing the right thing then really did change everything.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
A different kind of disappointment

What was the point of this story? The title would more appropriately be "Regrets" or "Moment of Truth". What is so different about Alice? Nothing different between her and any other materialistic whore. The last page of this is so bad it's borderline disturbing. What started out with such great promise slowly meandered into mindless irrelevance.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Good story

I liked it. I think Sec made the right choices.

TrtrolesTrtrolesover 8 years ago
What a story

Great job my man.

Ten for your story

Ib_SaysIb_Saysalmost 8 years ago

Feels like Kathleen came in too late, made the narrative uneven, Alice simply took up too much space, makes it difficult to care, one woman is a late arrival that really doesnt have much of a character that the reader knows about, the other was flighty and became increasingly unlikeable from when she gave her virginity to someone else.

Aussie1951Aussie1951over 6 years ago
In two minds

Loved the storyline up until Sec went to school trying hard to get a good education and to impress Alice's farther he was worthy of his daughter only to be totally surprised by branching off in another direction with this story. I was just disappointed how you assassinated Alice character especially at the end..⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
?

At the end I was left like one standing in a daze not knowing what to do next.

One part I did not get was Kathleen being like a novice at their first coupling. Like it was her first time - but she was married before. Was he too big? But she's had a child to expand the birth canal. This incident is not part of the aforementioned daze about the story as a whole.

Not knowing how to take it, I did not rate it.

Paul in Oklahoma

tazz317tazz317about 6 years ago
A MAN AND A WOMAN...POLAR OPPOSITES

both deserve happiness and hopefully get it but not with each other, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
My 2 cents

Just wanted to add my 2 cents in and thank you for a well written story. Thanks for your time and imagination.

QuintiusQuintiusover 4 years ago
Started off really well...

... but ended disappointingly. I agree with Anon 06/13/10's assessment that Alice's change was too drastic and too much of a stretch from how she was portrayed earlier. She basically spanned the spectrum in just a few short years, going from an unaffected, playful, curious young woman to jaded, shallow, and pretentious. MGM said in an earlier comment that her final little display was supposed to make us believe that there was still playfulness in her, but if that was what he was trying to convey, he failed. Instead of the innocently sexy little flashes she used to give him when she was young and sweet, she was now a classless woman baring her "way larger" (as in fake?) tits to a happily married Sheriff with kids in the middle of his office. The difference is entirely in the context. She didn't come across as innocently sexy or "playful", she came across as crass and sluttish, and more than willing to lure him into cheating. As a result, the comparison between this new person and the previous young girl we came to know and love in the beginning of the story is incredibly off putting.

The second part of my disappointment stems from the fact that Kathleen is nowhere near as interesting or engaging a character as young Alice had been and her relationship with Sec suffers by comparison. Yes, even Sec compared the two of them and felt momentary disappointment. In true cliché fashion, Sec saves the little woman, a war widow and single mother, naturally, from a terrible purse snatcher. Her hero! In no time flat they're married and Kathleen quits her job so she can stay at home and be Sec's personal baby factory, putting them out two at a time, of course. Already turned off by this trite depiction of Sec's "true love," I was further disappointed that no effort was made to describe in what way she was superior to the younger Alice he'd fallen in love with. They waited until their wedding to fuck and she was blushing and shy as he felt up her saggy boobs and belly while tracing her stretch marks and naturally she was awed by the size of his cock... What the hell did this intriguing story turn into? Could their relationship have been any MORE cliché?

I realize I sound like I'm shredding this story and I can only say that it's because I'm so very disappointed. I suppose I should have seen it coming when Alice brought home that douchebag Phillip but I still held out hope that they could still make it as a couple. Alas, it appears MGM was more interested in turning this into some sort of character study about youth and growing up surrounded by peer pressure or something. I can only say that the title was very misleading. Alice may have been an unusual girl but she and Kathleen were anything but "different" by the end.

RanDog025RanDog025about 4 years ago
A GOOD 5 STAR STORY!

I DID WONDER HOWEVER, IF THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE ABOUT HIS FAMILY BACK IN THE MOUNTAINS. FAMILY SHOULD ALWAYS BE CLOSE.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Great story with a twist ending...

I really enjoyed the story and felt the ending had a realistic nature to long distance relationships. There are always those regrets to those past girlfriends or boyfriends that we wish we could have done differently, and that is nicely presented here.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 3 years ago
Awesome story

All I've got to say it that magmaman is one hell of a great story teller. This thing just flowed from the coal mines to the very end. Too bad about Alice in the end but it probably wouldn't have worked out between her and Sec, even if he had done the deed that day on the lake. I very much enjoyed reading this story and will be reading some of the others by magmaman. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

A fine, fine story. From start to finish, it kept my attention, & my heart going. This a really great author, that we are privileged to read. LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Wow! You blew me away with this one. Wildly creative and so well told. Incredable storytelling. I flinched during the fight scenes. I really wish there was more to the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Just a wonderfully awesome 5 star story!! Thank you for writing and sharing it!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usermagmaman@magmaman
6', 186#, published writer. I have worn many hats. As a young man I was crazy, carefree and making wads of money. Then along came a messed up war and I was cannon fodder. From there I came home even crazier, and survived a 120 MPH crash which got me 15 years in a wheelchair...

SIMILAR Stories