All Comments on 'A Dime on a Headstone'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 45 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 1 year ago

I really enjoyed your police and detective stories! A little romance doesn't hurt either.

5

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11about 1 year ago

First class piece of writing - you are one of my favourite authors and I always look out for your stories. This one is a gem

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 1 year ago
Outstanding

This is a really good story. Almost a perfect blend of dialog and narration. I'm sure in real life this scenario happens between a cop's widow and another cop that knew her husband.

Good job and thanks for your hard work. Looking forward to your next one.

Woodmanone

BlueFox007BlueFox007about 1 year ago

Wow! Just wow.

Five stars.

WilCox49WilCox49about 1 year ago

I agree with BlueFox007 and woodmanone. Wow, and really, REALLY good. 5* from me, too.

I've only read one other story of yours. I see they go back twenty-plus years, but the other one I came upon is only a couple of days ago. (Obviously you're posting already-written material; a story like this isn't written in a couple of days!) Have to see whether your early ones are up to your current ones. THANK YOU for writing this.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Thank you for your stories. You write well.

Cracker270Cracker270about 1 year ago

I have been to a formal police officer’s funeral. Your description was perfect, perfect enough to bring out a few tears.

Great story and very well told.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

DAMN this was good!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Ronde, Well done. The story was a real story & well told. The only oddity was the contrast between all the somberness of the relation & investigation & the detailed sex scene.

You've either been writing like one possessed, or using AI. The good part is that the results are mostly very good. The weaker stories (for now) have been the ones set in a historical stage. It won't surprise me to see this improve, and my feedback is not necc. a majority opinion. Hiwayman - I didn't finish, didn't like.

Golden shell seemed to have an unnatural progress from emotional to physical relation - like a disconnect the story up to that point.

More to come on earlier stories.

My very best to you & yours

-Dreaded Anonymous

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Good story, however you got the barrel twist thing backwards. 1 in 7 is one turn in 7 inches. One in 12 is one turn in 12 inches. Less inches = faster turn and more accuracy. You may have understood facts, just messed up in putting it on paper.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Great story! A couple of slip ups with police methods but otherwise very well written. Nice blend of crime story and romance! 5 stars.

JusteenKJusteenKabout 1 year ago

That was a wonderful read, thanks.

burningloveburningloveabout 1 year ago

You're a good storyteller - kepping the reader's interest as you weave a good tale.

5*

Burninglove

Ravey19Ravey19about 1 year ago

Really great sweet story. Well told and liked it that there was a final breakthrough for Donnie and Troy and Barbara got together,

J6480J6480about 1 year ago

Best so far Mr R. 5*. Respect your research and details adds to the cred and enjoyment of the tale. Keep 'em coming man

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Awesome! Well told and holds ones interest. I pulled your name at random off the "Romance" subject page and this is the first story I've read. I will now work my way down the list! Thanks!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A good story very well told.

tennesseeredtennesseeredabout 1 year ago

Nice piece of fiction. The police procedures were very convincing to a layman. You've been amazingly prolific these past months. I assume you've been writing and backlogging stories during your years away from Lit. Not your first rodeo, that much is clear. 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

This is a story to read and later read again. Plot, strong characters, romance, etc. Just have some tissues handy.

olddave51olddave51about 1 year ago

Great story! Felt like I was watching "Blue Bloods" or "Law and Order."

Just enough tech not bore the layman Having been to a couple of "official" funeral and your description was accurate. So accurate it took me back to a friend's funeral (Vietnam) he left a Wife and 3 month baby. 5 Stars!

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfire12 months ago

Excellent tale with a very good twist (pardon the pun). 5*.

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetronius12 months ago

V. good story. To me it's worth a rating of 5 stars, but only by rounding up and making allowances for your amateur standing.

You would improve your craftsmanship if you spent quality time learning the difference between intransitive (lie/lying/lay/lain and rise/rising/rose/risen) and transitive (lay/laying/laid/laid and raise/raising/raised/raised) verbs.

Comentarista82Comentarista8212 months ago

Looked up the "dime" on the headstone and it's what veterans leave that have a close connection to the person that died. You certainly researched this more than competently, to make this story your own--and I echo the comment by another poster that this felt much like a crime drama--although in my case, felt like a CSI: Miami one.

The story felt gripping and plausible. Nothing felt rushed and you ensured we experienced the comradery and solidarity; I really enjoyed reading that ooze out of each paragraph. Just the honor to a fallen officer choked me up.

How you developed the resolution intrigued me, since it really appeared it would remain a cold case. While it was obvious Barbara called him over just for company, it wasn't over-the-top, nor was their sex: it progressed naturally and didn't feel rushed.

Most definitely worth a 5. :)

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

20 years as firefighter/paramedic and I can't tell you how many times PD covered our 6 while we worked....two sides of the same coin...and a very similar ethos. Proud to say I never brought any of my crews home either hurt , sick , or dead...that was my main job . I finished my career in fire investigations. A well told tale...thanks FF/EMT-P

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Very good story and "story book" ending. Really like it!

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I’ve heard the end of watch call for a friend and schoolmate, at least for him it was health not duty related. My son was Marine reserve and between two tours did a lot of graveside salutes. Mostly for WWII , Korea, or more for Vietnam. He now serves on The police force and they are currently looking for 2 people that killed police and are likely to be in our area.

juanviejojuanviejo9 months ago

This one touched my very soul. Having served more than four decades at nearly all levels of urban law enforcement, I said farewell to more than my share of fallen Bothers In Arms. It was the best of your stories that I've read so far! GREAT STORY, GREAT ENDING...CINCO ESTRELLAS!

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Interesting peak into the often typecast of a municipal guardian subculture. Without detailed knowledge about competitive pistol shooting and enhanced modifications, Donnie's case would have remained unsolved. Good story.

BigDee44BigDee448 months ago

Liked the story. The many mis-spellings were distractions, though.

tynwoodtynwood8 months ago

Cried my ass off but one hell of a story. Thanks

alfabloodtypealfabloodtype7 months ago

Man, like reading a detective story! Great work 👏

BabalooieBabalooie7 months ago

Excellent story with great detail. Five big ones.

Crusader235Crusader2357 months ago

Great story. Thanks for the details of what happens at an Officers funeral. Donnie last call, and Bag Pipes Amazing Grace had me crying. Thank you for this wonderful story. Semper Fi

BuzzCzarBuzzCzar7 months ago

Unfortunately, I've been to more than one police officer funeral(I'm a retired MP and my now ex-GF, is a police widow.) You are either connected or did good research. Pretty good detective story and romance. 5* from me.

wwaldripwwaldrip6 months ago

Excellent story, and thank you for your service.

DessertmanDessertman6 months ago

A very moving story well told.

A beautiful new relationship for two hurt souls.

HansTrimbleHansTrimble5 months ago

The whole story was as perfect as we'll ever get on this website. The writing was so good that it was hard to keep telling myself that he's not really a homicide detective telling us about a real murder case.

Want to know what great writing is like? Simple: just start reading ronde's stories!

FandeborisFandeboris5 months ago

A very moving story. The dime on the headstone reminded me of my wife’s parents. There was a quarter placed on the side of the stone. My son put it there the day of their funeral. It was still there 3 years later. Payment for the ferryman he said.

I have known police officers, some good and some bad. I have heard of liaison officers too. But not for a year. Usually a police widow will find companionship from outside the force. With the reasoning ‘once is enough’. Officer wives have my respect, because of not knowing if your husband is coming home or if the chaplain is bearing news you dread to hear.

Here’s to all the wives and husbands. May their spouses return each day, alive and well.

Take care

goatman96goatman963 months ago

Another 5. I really enjoy your writing and your stories

ca_daveca_daveabout 2 months ago

Powerfully moving. As someone who spent 23 years in correction, and has worn mourning bands several times, when fellow officers lost their lives. I can relate to this story on a different level than most. Not going to lie when I read the crime details I thought this was an execution, before I read it. Thank you for sharing. For all those who have !ost a loved one who was military, police, or corrections my condolences. Thank you for their sacrifice. They should always be remembered. 5* but this one truly deserves so many more

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

My sons six year old daughter tells him every night as he gets ready for shift “ don’t die tonight daddy”

Russ43ChandlerRuss43Chandlerabout 1 month ago

Outstanding, well crafted, and complete story of emotions of death and recovery. The bad guy loses, the good guy wins and life goes on as it should. Thanks for a great read and my 5 stars.

mlrsdpicmmlrsdpicmabout 1 month ago

Very well written if you don't write professionally you should if you do I would like to read a book of yours.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

story TAGS