All Comments on 'A Grip on Reality Ch. 02'

by FrancisMacomber

Sort by:
  • 133 Comments
WyldcardWyldcardover 9 years ago
Cute punchy ending

Not getting into too much detail, interesting romp of a story. Can always nitpick and it wasn't the sort of story that had big surprises, but I got more entertainment out of it than I paid! :) Thanks for the fun tale and the wonderfully malicious wife. A fine villain.

thefranzthefranzover 9 years ago
A bit hurried

Great writing from you as always. However, the end was a bit too hurried for my tastes: explanation and showdown all in one fell swoop. It was a rather complex plot which would have merited some more elaboration.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 9 years ago
Great Tale

I had it pegged after ch, 1 but it took nothing away from the ending. There was no clue about how treacherous the psychotic slut wife was but she wanted what she wanted, no matter what. She didn't get it. And in the end our hero banker not only came out ahead but found new love. He'll probably be on something because of the LSD for the rest of his life but has a nurse who will take care of him, and love him.

Five Stars

CharlieB4CharlieB4over 9 years ago
Followed the formula,

But did it very well. 4*

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well done

No issue of privileged communication between doctor and patient since he was a co-conspirator in the crime.

By the way, it's not "one-off" but rather "one-of", a contraction of the phrase one-of-a-kind. Seems everybody on this site makes that error.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 9 years ago
@betrayedbylove

Not really likely, LSD rarely has long term side effects and near the end he was handling the diminishing aftereffects well.

Part of his problem with it was that he didn't know that he had been given it.

Add to that no one experienced in using it to teach him how (or a psychiatrist that was NOT working against him) and he was in deep trouble.

It amplifies the attitude you have when you take it, nervous or fearful becomes terrifying.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 9 years ago
Thanks

You learn something new every day.

studebakerhawkstudebakerhawkover 9 years ago
@anonymous-

Sorry to disappoint you, but 'one-off' IS correct. It is a British expression referring to a unique, one-time event. Don't feel too bad, American slang is just as opaque to them.

.

@FrancisMacomber- Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Sid0604Sid0604over 9 years ago
Thank you...

I thoroughly enjoyed your story... as usual. This chapter was easily worth 5 stars. Thank you for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Great story, well written.

I did see a few errors but as somebody else said, that is nit-picking.

The story was well written and had an unlikely hero......hmmm. Was the hero the banker, the nurse, or the detective who arrived in the nick of time?

Doesn't matter, keep up the good work. I look for your stories.

RSKY

OneShotOneOneShotOneover 9 years ago
Ben is one resilient guy

Drugged betrayed and nearly murdered by the people he cared most about but he bounced right back.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodleover 9 years ago
Great story. 5 stars!

Sure the odd plot issue but overall, this is a good one.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
THE FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE SYNDROME IN EFFECT

and the nursing profession takes over as they are trained to perform their duty above and beyond. TK U MLJ LV NV

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 9 years ago
Entertaining to a fault ?

Black and white, straightforward morality tale flawlessly executed with some but not much ambiguity or humor. It was like watching Payton Manning hand off the ball to fullback up the middle of line for three yards and a cloud of dust, 20 consecutive times. This author is head and shoulders above his Loving Wives contemporaries but is barely tapping into his potential.

I'm rating this at five stars based on total merit, but next to ' Heart of the Prairie ' or ' Interview with Superman ' ? Sorry, but Francis Macomber's exceptional talent has baited me into unreasonable and unrealized expectations for today. Full marks and five stars awarded under protest. *****

impo_60impo_60over 9 years ago
A cold murderess...

The star of this story wasn't him, but the cold murderess of his 2nd wife...But a good and interesting story...

javmor79javmor79over 9 years ago
@Lordslamdawwg

Loved the Peyton Manning analogy. I think that fits this story perfectly. This author is heads above the general Loving Wives populace. I did find this story entertaining, and quite honestly when I saw his name in the author spot I knew that I would. Still, it wasn't up to the bar that he has set for himself. That said, it was still far better than 95% of the stories being posted on this site

To the author. Please keep writing. Your stories are like a breath of fresh air.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
LSD

The heat and acid in the coffee would cause th LSD to deteriorate almost immediately

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
It is a shame that the Doctor ended up dead.....

Ben really could have used the capital raised from a malpractice lawsuit. Also, the doctors testimony would help nail Celia to the wall. As it is she has one murder, one attempted murder, embezzlement, fraud, and probably even MORE charges to answer for. Anyway, the doctor's death could also be pinned on her, so she shouldn't be seeing the light of day anytime soon.

I admit that after chpt 1, I had hoped that the twists would have been even twistier, and that the turns would have been even more complex, but it doesn't matter, because FM puts out a great story anyway, and a easily approachable and enjoyable read. For the briefest of moments, we can really feel the terror and hoplessness that comes from being declared mentally unfit. His entire life was about to be completely erased. At that point of desperation, perhaps maybe his own death would have come as a comfort?!? Heady stuff here from FM. Luckily, his protag seems to have been outfitted with the standard guardian angel figure in Gina. And with the hint of new romance, complete with a ready-made family, the ending should even make critics like Duna happy.

Thanks so much for your contributions here! I'm sure that everyone reading, can't wait for your next!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I have not read this 2nd part yet

but liked the first one. I am interested in seeing if second wife is having an affair with partner and they got together to drug hubby since he would not sell out. That was what was forecasted in the first part. Second wife: beautiful, sexually adventurous and expert and no past disclosed by the author. Partner's wife let herself go physically and partner enamored with looks of second wife. Now to see if the clues were real or red herrings.

anon.1

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Rapid acceleration left me dizzy

This was a gripping and compelling read, but the ending simply came too quickly and abruptly. Still one of the best things I have read here in a while. Don't know how I would have handled it, but the buildup to the conclusion should have been gentler. I think another dosing could have gone awry when the nurse intercepted the sugar leading to the wife concluding what had happened and going after the nurse in some fashion only to be thwarted by the brother in her attempt to her; something along that line might have worked. Would have liked the doc to survive and get his comeuppance.

jacsrjacsrover 9 years ago
Wow, Exciting story

Reads like a my favorite detective stories, as usual FM, writes to entice the reader to not get up and leave the story.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
5 star tale until;

last 1/2 page 4, then tale got rushed out the door. then only a 4 stars tale.

However since 99% of the tales are really 3 stars are less but are rated higher.

I will have to rate this one 5 stars also. cause it so much better tale than 99.9%

of the garbage .

5**********************************************s

SKHPSKHPover 9 years ago
A masterpiece once again!

Thank you, FM!

Well-earned 5*

likegoodwinelikegoodwineover 9 years ago
Another great one

Thanks for this 5* story

patilliepatillieover 9 years ago
Disappointing

The plot was foreshadowed in the first installment, and merely played out exactly in the second. No emotional connection to the characters in this one, maybe the mood I am in. 3 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
A Grip on Cliche

Paint by numbers storytelling.

looking4itlooking4itover 9 years ago
Couple of things

To me, the first chapter read like a documentary. Informative but stale. I will say that I suspected the original coffee at the banquet would come into play but moving into his first marriage helped defray where it was leading too early.

Second chapter was better. I was honestly afraid thus would be 3 or 4 chapters and I didn't know it the story could last that long. I think everything was slid out well and two chapters worked well. Too bad Cilla didn't get the LSD laced sugar, it would be more ironic and appropriate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Seriously average.

The plot was transparent. The story telling had many more flaws than we have come to expect from this writer. There are no emotion and very little drama. This effort was pedestrian, at best.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I Can Fly!

Acid? Really? And everyone who gets dosed immediately collapses or jumps out a window? What is this, an archival episode of the Mod Squad?

I really enjoyed the first half even with it's paint by numbers characters... I thought they gelled together even though they were cliches. The second part kind of falls apart with the ham handed delivery of the plot device... err I mean dosed coffee and no one noticing that the tv style trips the main character gets hit with happens every time he gets his coffee from the evil temptress.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Have to agree with "looking4it" comment

Would've been quite the comical, ironic story if Cilla had gotten LSD instead of the doctor. Imagining the possibilities of how the story could twist & turn from there might be a little more interesting and, less predictable. The wrap up on this felt way to much like an over the top cop, drama TV show.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well it's not a cuck story ***

I have a hard time understanding why writers don't do the little things to bolster a plot. Regular LSD would never have worked like that. Just give the doctor a background in military pshych ops and access to some super LSD. Plot was too obvious anyway. Still three stars.

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Definitely Not Up To FM's Standards

But still a good read.

4 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Not up to your usual standards.

But, can't hit a home run every time. Keep up your good work. This site needs it!

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
Good read as always

I was fairly disappointed by the give-away both in the set up and more important in the tags. adultery and infidelity tells it all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Just too lame for your talent.

So cliche', predictable, and the worst, boring. I guess all LSD intakes and overdoses go undetected due to the short half life of the drug? And a cop recognizes the symptoms but experienced medical pros do not. And the first drug reaction is on You tube and out of the thousands that saw it no one reported a classical LSD episode? Celia is an expert in drug use? Perry is charmed to death. Ben is putty in her hands. The doctor is ready to explain why he had a psychotic patient out on his balcony. Marco shows up just in the nick of time. Just all so scripted and unbelievable. And so beneath your skill level. Please do better next time.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 9 years ago
I enjoyed reading the story

Well done!

The ending was good too.

Thanks for the read

JounarJounarover 9 years ago
good but not great

As a story this was fairly good but as a FranisMacomber story, it was diffidently not up to scratch. The details regarding Ben's early life and first marriage took up way to many pages all just to state why he didn't drink and him setting up his own bank.

Wifey's scheme was telegraphed big time and the ending just doesn't feel finished. Will there be a chapter 3 dealing with the soon to be ex-wife and Ben and Gina hooking up?

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 9 years ago
Surprised

The rating was a bit of a shocker. The ending was not even up to the standard of the opener. Not a bad read, but also not an FMac-level effort!

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
His track record with marriages is less than stellar

Will it be happily ever after this time?

or a short happy life?

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
You are one of the best

But this high rating is just more proof that LW readers vote for the name, not the story.

You've been better.

SparksWillFlySparksWillFlyover 9 years ago
A Note on Your Too Harsh Critics

You set yourself such a high bar with your previous work, these guys are slamming what is a really good story. I think if anyone else had written this, they'd have been all high praise. One note: the dots between Marco's first comments about drug symptoms and Cilla handing Ben the coffee both at the dais and, then, in the hospital, were obvious and revealed the plot too soon.

saw_man1saw_man1over 9 years ago
Loved it

Thank you.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 9 years ago
not really bad

This is not really bad, and if it was submitted by all but a few other writers here it would get rave reviews.

FM is one of the most talented here, though lately a bit inconsistent in quality.

The complaints are from people that come expecting a five star story and find a four star effort, still well above average just less than anticipated.

Having the dots to connect in a mystery is normal, painting them with glow in the dark paint is below FM's usual ability.

pilot4pilot4over 9 years ago
Sweet!

Good story. Lots of fun. And pay no attention to the critics, they all want a hundred dollar story for free. There are always things that can be done to improve any story.I enjoyed this one as it was written. Thanks.

extemporeextemporeover 9 years ago
5 Stars, minor complaint . . .

The ending seemed a bit rushed, not bad, but it could have been set up better. That's only a minimal complaint because the rest of the story was so damn good!

The wife's involvement/guilt was probably predictable, but that's true for many mysteries or crime stories. Your writing and plot were first rate and it was a real page turner, simply pulling the reader onward -- ready or not.

maxx308maxx308over 9 years ago
5 Stars

Thank you for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
First halve was excellent second part was a fairy tale

Your a dame good writer but this second part was so unreal , it just seemed to be a Cinderella story . Gina is the new. Perry mason. All fiqured out in a short time. Not to believable and you can do better.

chytownchytownover 9 years ago
Great Read*****

A very interesting and enjoyable story. Thanks for sharing.

zed0zed0over 9 years ago
It's in the telling

Pretty obvious what was going on, no mystery there, but the telling of the story is what made it a fun read, and of course the ending didn't necessarily need to be a happy one. While convoluted mystery's and plot twist are alway a bonus (if done correctly) telling a great story is not dependent on these gimmicks.

So to you I say, "Well said, and Well Done!"

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
3*s

A very pleasant read.

Thank You for the story.

AMerryMan

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago
Loved it

five stars for the quality writing. I know some others said it felt rushed at the end. I wouldn't say rushed, but having an after the fact recap instead of allowing the storyline to play out in real time, kind of took the air out of things. Better to experience things first hand, rather than in third person summary.

phil2213phil2213over 9 years ago
Interesting Hitchcockian drama/mystery.

A little over the top tongue in cheek ending. Quite well done with some degree of predictability that slowly unfolded at the author's skillful hand. Very entertaining and quite enjoyable to read with an upbeat ending.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 9 years ago
Ah we got the answer to chapter one's ending.

F.M. I wished you had indicated at the end of chapter one that there was a chapter two or something like to be continued. I now feel real stupid about my comments to chapter one.

So over all a very good tale.

calflashcalflashover 9 years ago
stories

I've been reading and enjoying your stories since discovering the Miz Sara series. Everyone has been an enjoyable read with lots of intregue and drama but this one tops them all. Thanks for the stories

rcrmonte3rcrmonte3over 9 years ago
MORE, MORE!!!

Another one of your wonderful stories, this one being at least up to the standard you set with the Miz Sarah series, if not even better. I did figure out that Cilla was doing something to the coffee she brought, becaust that was the only thing that could have been causing Ben's "psychotic" episodes.

As usual, a great story from you. I always have to read your stories when I see them.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
GOOD OLE LUCY SPOILS THE PLOTS

now they trip on down the sky with diamonds, TK U MLJ LV NV

SigintSigintabout 9 years ago
There's A First Time For Everything

That's the first time I've ever understood what the hell Tazz has been trying to say! Great story.

norcal62norcal62about 9 years ago
Went way too long after the clues for drugging hubby.

Well written as far as plot and language, but timing was poor.

Cassy16Cassy16about 9 years ago
Thanks

Thanks for another great story

Tony NZ

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
It was ok

Congrats. You are a good writer. But I found this second chapter just okay. Three out of five. Unlike the first chapter everything in the second chapter seemed very obvious to me. Gina saw too much suspicious activity for this reader. I liked Ben's character, but everyone else seemed two dimensional. Also I noticed there was another reference to him never touching alcohol but he had wine at dinner with Cilla. Also I had trouble buying the fact a bank owner wouldn't check out a new love interest a little more closely. Maybe he is just one of those trusting 1 percenters. But I don't want to be too nasty as you are a very good writer. Maybe my Columbo antenna was just up too high today.

sbrooks103sbrooks103almost 9 years ago
Re-Reading

Actually liked this better on second reading.

slamdog1slamdog1over 8 years ago
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Sorry to the commenter who thinks that the Beatles song was a reference to LSD. Do a little research. As for the story, 5 stars for my favorite author, even though this is my second read...

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, riiiiiight

Slamdog, I've heard that story John Lennon told about the inspiration for Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, and if you believe that tale, I've got some farmland in the Everglades to sell you. Of course, it's about LSD. Just listen to the lyrics. "The girl with kaleidoscope eyes..." I did my share of acid back in the day and that's exactly what your eyes look like when you're tripping. I could go through the whole song, but you get the point. The Beatles were tripping their asses off the whole time they were writing and recording Sgt. Peppers, and John thought he'd be cute and write a song about it. End of story.

slamdog1slamdog1over 8 years ago
Reply to anon

I do not attempt to state that what I think someone else is thinking is factual. It can be proven that Julian Lennon drew the drawing and he vouches for the title as what he told his dad the painting meant. I was not in John Lennon's mind when he penned the lyrics to the song based on his son's description of the painting, therefore I can't dispute or affirm what John said about the meaning of the song since he is now dead. You can assume all sorts of things to verify your beliefs but that does not change the facts. I heard when I was younger that Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 was a reference to drugs. Thanks to the internet I can now look up Robert Lamm's meaning of the song and he says it refers to 3:34 or 3:35 in the morning. He was tired and wasn't really concentrating on the clock. Should I call him a liar because this doesn't jive with what I have believed for 40+ years? Anyway, I look at loving wives daily hoping that there will be another post from FrancisMacomber. I guess I should probably stop looking at the comments as they detract from my enjoyment of his stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Finally got to it, but:

My favorite is still "Funny You Should Ask".

dissmissdissmissalmost 8 years ago
transparent

A good read but I fear somewhat predictable.

I think everyone guessed Ben was being drugged, and as soon as Cilla appeared to be be less than a loving wife, the plot became pretty transparent.

Entertaining, but only 4*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
1*

Wrong category. What is this non-erotic, mistery bullshit doing in LW?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
excellent story

a true loving wife tale.

CarnilliaCarnilliaalmost 8 years ago
A great story but...

The two parts seems like two different stories link together only because of the main character. I didn't like the whole police plot in the second part. Sorry. well written and I enjoyed reading but too many twists for me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Wnere's The Rest of The Story

More please or at least finish Gina, Angela and Ben's life together.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Missing Eulogy

Good but missing the tying up of all the loose ends to finish the story - needs an Eulogy. But doubt FM will, as FM last posting was in 2015, and it looks like the creative juices have ended.

Horseman68Horseman68almost 7 years ago
Very Satisfying and Fulfilling Story.

Enough said. This is one of the best authors on the site. Wish more of the author's work would come for us to enjoy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

A good bit more sinister than most of these betrayal stories. Nice twists.

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 6 years ago
Good mystery tale

A different take on this story with some interesting twists and turns. Hopefully our Third Try will get it right for him into an "old age". Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Nice twists??

Whole plot was telegraph from first pyschotic event......shortly after wife gave him coffee.

Plot was thin and predictable. As usual though the writing was excellent and read it anyway.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Agree

with anonymous 03/10/18.- but still a 5*****.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wrong Place

This is the wrong story in the wrong place. Not one ounce of erotica. This needs to be deleted from this site. Not to mention what a cheezy, infantile piece of crap that it is.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Response to comment by Anonymous 09/10/18

Get your critical ass to work. Write and post your own story just to show all us dummies, who enjoyed this one, what a REALLY GOOD story is supposed to look like. If you're not capable of writing one then you should probably shut the fuck up.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Super story

What a nice entertaining story. Good Job!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Always hilarious....

When cuckfags come upon a story in lw that is about a man getting justice and isn't some sleazy humiliation story and start whining about there not being sex in it. Eat dicks , assholes.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
The story was alright....

But LSD would not make you jump off of a balcony and it does not come on that quickly! Yes you hallucinate but not immediately...don't think francis ever did acid actually!

ewray321ewray321almost 5 years ago
Thank You

Great story. Some of the comments are just stupid and ignorant. I just do not see why these few comment negatively.

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Anticipation over end suspenseful and good

You wrote I enjoyed

What more is there

TailakaTailakaover 4 years ago
LSD

Of course lsd wouldn't make you jump off the balcony but they had the orderly: " ... Ed's gonna help you fly!" The real question is Would LSD metabolize in a dead body? Bet they wouldn't allow a blood sample\autopsy anyway.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
A dead give away

As soon as the episode at the dinner occurred, I knew what had happened. The cup of coffee delivered by the wife, just before the episode. Kind of spoiled the story for me.

schulz777schulz777over 4 years ago
way too depressing

next time try harder

3starrs

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Reality Lapse

Definitely delusional if he thinks Starbucks is good coffee. The dug effects sound rather like ergot poisoning which which very dangerous and has been known to cause symptoms like a bad lsd trip.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
I would have gotten away with it......

but for those pesky kids.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
That's not how LSD works at all!

I liked the story but knew from the first incident where you were going with it. It's sad that the falsehoods associated with LSD are now just a story plot. The lies are all part of the "war on drugs" that has done far more harm than drug abuse itself.

dbarger2212dbarger2212over 3 years ago
Perhaps I am missing something

but I thought the point of the story was the play on words at the end.

I like it a lot.

26thNC26thNCover 3 years ago

Great finish, I love a happy ending where the nurse is the heroine.

networkgurunetworkguruover 3 years ago

This was a good read. I'm not the biggest fan of whodunits but I guessed correctly about Cilla and Perry having an affair after he said his wife had let herself go in Chapter 1. I also saw Cilla slowly poisoning him when she bought the coffee. I remember reading about a woman in Atlanta that poisoned her husband with coolant over a 5 year period so maybe that's what Cilla's initial plan was with the LSD.

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

Just loved the story, it started out so sad and then when you think that Cilla was the woman that would be his future love, she turns out to be a cheating slut/murderer who got what she deserved in the end, too bad she didn't go over the 6th floor balcony as it would have been a just end to her. The ending where it was not exactly the happily ever after, lead you to believe that it was going to happen with Gina.

5 stars

effigyw333effigyw333over 3 years ago

It was a great story! The author is definitely a skilled professional at his craft. Grammar, syntax, and spelling were prefect. Having read a number of stories on Literotica, I haven't had occasion to comment positively on these topics. Thank you for a job well done. 5 STARS!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Good story but...

I liked the story but I hate that you played on the myth that once you take LSD that you will experience "flashbacks." They don't happen...ever! And a typical LSD trip doesn't involve psychoses or open or closed eye visuals that you can't control.

Again, a good story, but ...

KingCuddleKingCuddleabout 3 years ago

A Tidy Little Tale!

I'm not sure what it's doing here...but why not?!! :+))

I suppose the tag line could be a touch more erotic? :+))))

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

Good story but all us older readers and movie watchers new what was happening as soon as his wife drought coffee and sugar to her husband, even before his second "attack". Well written with a modicum of suspense. Thank goodness for nurse Gina!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
It was obvious

From the first chapter what was happening, making the outcome as predictable as the sunrise. But that didn't make it any less enjoyable. Good read.

fredbrownfredbrownover 2 years ago

I was beginning to think the author was female - until the sex scenes then nah that's another horndog writing!

Like the story enough to give it a 5 ........

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

After being slammed into midnight during the first story, this part ll plot not only cleared up my misconceptions, BUT also turned into a nice romance..... Even for an old curmudgeon like me.

Good job......5 stars to make up for my poor rating on part I.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous