All Comments on 'A House Divided Ch. 03'

by coaster2

Sort by:
  • 204 Comments
RealDocRealDocalmost 17 years ago
excellent

The husband finally got the gumption to tell her like it is. Few of us would have been so long suffering. Great story. Great ending. thanks keep writting.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Nice turnaround

Good story! I think that work immersion destroys as many families as cheating, yet is seldom mentioned in "Loving Wifes". And, while this used to be primarily caused by husbands, now we are equal opportunity. The health angle lead to a quick change of heart; normally it's either more drawn out or the marriage slowly fades.

jack_strawjack_strawalmost 17 years ago
a good tale

I liked this story, although it did drag a little bit when Mark was in LA. Cautionary tale about how blind ambition can kill you. And, no, the only lover she had was her career. Just one minor glitch, right at the end: Aretha Franklin didn't sing "Rescue Me." It was done by Fontella Bass.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
I liked it,...

it wasn’t what I was expecting, and this is a good thing. Great story, and thanks for writing to us.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Is that all there is?

This story never got beyond the start! There was no drama or conflict. Things looked bad for a while, but then they got better. What a plot! You neglected to write the middle and the end. The Emperor has no clothes and this story offered nothing. No one will ever go back to read this again like they do with Blue's, Ohio's or Longhorn's stories. Much ado about nothing.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 17 years ago
told ya' No cheatin at all; Marriage is gone

so I guess 60 George owes me an apology. I said that it might be the case in THIS story of no ACTUAL cheating juts marriage troubles but that Moron accise me of making up a different story.

<br></br>

For some this story is a huge let down . No sex at all. In some ways I like the fact that this was Just marriage strain story without any cheating per se but many readers will not like it.

<br></br>

Alternate ending anyone?

<br></br>

That being said why take her back? when she starts to make more calls and more of an effort to improve that was nice but the question is why couldnt she make the effort before?

<br></br>

how could she go into the position with such ignorance ?

<br></br>

How could she keep at it all that time while her hsuband is telling her something is wrong and she just ignores it ?

<br></br>

This woman has some SERIOUS character flaws

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
wow!

Thank you,Coaster, for a very good and uplifting story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Good

well written and well thought out plot.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
I liked it!

Can a career destroy a marriage? It takes two to hold the marriage together. The wife was not giving anything to this marriage. The husband was the one making the concessions while she was working herself to death because of her ambition and her ego. He loved her enough to remain faithful to her, caring for her, warning her of what she was doing to the family and to herself. But she was caught in the rat race and couldn't see a way out. In a way I do understand her. For 25 years she was the backbone of the marriage, raising her kids, supporting her husband while he built his company. But now for the first time she had a chance to become something for herself. An important executive and bread winner. And she took the opportunity without looking at the consequences because she wanted it badly enough. Even though it almost cost her the marriage and her own life.

This was a refreshing take. The bad guy was a company and a career which can be as bad a man with a big cock...

Alvaron53Alvaron53almost 17 years ago
Good fiction

The writing is good though I agree with jack_straw that the pace of the story dragged in a few places. Overall, the author's prose is fine except for the UMI of "silicone chip." It made me think of uncatchable frisbees coated with slippery lubricant.

<P>

Some people undoubtedly don't like the fact that "there ain't no cheatin'" in this story. Lest we forget, the category isn't Cheating Sluts, it's Loving Wives.

<P>

The story is pretty good fiction because it has a beginning, a middle and an ending. The characters are believable, flawed (though I thought the hubby was a little too perfect to be completely believable), and human. They act realistically when they confront the conflict in the story. They grow from their experiences as the plot resolves the conflict. My only gripe is with the ending. It's a little too "perfect."

<P>

Thank you, coaster2, for a good story.

mtstorymtstoryalmost 17 years ago
Great story

wonderful story, it had brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks

ohioohioalmost 17 years ago
well done

A Loving Wives story without adultery, imagine that! This was a nice job, it had a lot of tension from beginning to end and kept us readers emotionally involved. Thanks, ohio

NucleusNucleusalmost 17 years ago
Drama ...

...yes. I don't miss sex, cuckolding, humiliation in this story. Shure, I've expected but was not dissapointed about missing. I've compared the plot to dramatic elements and found all were fullfilled. You hit the goal.

<p>Thank you for good entertainment</p><p><b>Nucleus</b></p>

virgin2267virgin2267almost 17 years ago
Wonderful

I loved this story, I knew there was a reason I put you on my favorites list. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
This story belongs in the non-erotic category

This story lacks all of the elements of good short story writing. We don't really get to care about the characters. There is no conflict. The resolution is predictable and is just OK. There is little or no erotic content, although the promise of it was probably the only reason that most readers hung on till the end. The writer has talent, but In this instance it is wasted.

peggytwittypeggytwittyalmost 17 years ago
A good story you should read as a whole

A good story. You did us a service with this marriage in turmoil story. You left enough suspense that it made me want to see the outcome. The length and substance of Chapter 2 have been mentioned by some of us, but the story as a whole was good.<p>Keep writing as you have some ideas you want to share and do it well. Thank you for the entertainment and obviously splendid effort.<p>PT

JakeRiversJakeRiversalmost 17 years ago
Good, well written story

that happens all to often. Usually it is the husband that takes off and sends for his family. I've done this a couple of times myself.

<p>

I liked the way you made the wife the one to leave. Ambition can be a killer! I'm glad I don't have any.

<p>

A great read with a nice ending. It was a bit slow in LA but I think the story needed this to transition to the ending. Otherwise the finish would have been a bit abrupt.

<p>

Regards, Jack

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
not eroitica

This story was mislabeled I believe and belonged in the 'Non-erotic' category rather than 'Loving Wives'. There was one veiled reference that the wife was partying with the top executives on the weekends and that was that. Nothing more was ever written to suggest any sexual improprieties. Sorry, but reading about persons with poor boundaries in both their business and personal lives wasn't very interesting to me. -- WhiteKnightAR

bruce22bruce22almost 17 years ago
I admit that I was expecting a more --

dramatic finale. It seemed that you had lined it

up so that it could anyway. When the telephone

call came I was afraid until you finally got her

back to Minneapolis that her stupidity was going

to be fatal!

I know that I would have come out the hospital and

gone straight back to work in order to make up for

lost time. (so I am stupider yet!) But then I would have

stormed out of the company when the pressure went on

to manipulate the public.

bruce22bruce22almost 17 years ago
I admit that I was expecting a more --

dramatic finale. It seemed that you had lined it

up so that it could anyway. When the telephone

call came I was afraid until you finally got her

back to Minneapolis that her stupidity was going

to be fatal!

I know that I would have come out the hospital and

gone straight back to work in order to make up for

lost time. (so I am stupider yet!) But then I would have

stormed out of the company when the pressure went on

to manipulate the public.

TLeeTLeealmost 17 years ago
Good finish

This story proves that you don't have to have sex, cheating, sluts and wimps to have a good story. Ignore the queers that have infested this site. They don't live in a normal world with decent people. That is why they call them queers. To say that they are sick is just a cop-out. They made their choice and their bed. Let them lie in their chosen filth.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
One of the tags said "adultery"

and another said drama. There was neither. The writer could argue for the drama but the adultery was a lie. It was meant to mislead. This story hit the ground running and fizzled out fast. Chapters 2 and 3 offered nothing. This belongs in the "Boring Wives" category. In Chapter 1 we think there will be conflict and turmoil. It took two tedious chapters to tell us she got tired and came home. My heart is still hammering!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Well Done!

This was an excellent story and your writing is tops! We all hope to see more of your work here. Some of the readers have complained about this being in the wrong category. But you don't to be a slut to be a cheating wife. All that time taken away from the family is cheating the family on a different way. And maybe even in a worse way because it affects all family members and not just the husband. Great read and keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
wagon tongue

An excellent story and a welcome change of pace.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Excellent

story,very well written and at times an absorbing one.It is a pity that if a story does not have a cheating slut wife in it,then certain people will give it bad marks!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
This Is Not An Erotic Story

This story belongs in the Non Erotic section.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
He never went to Chicogo to help her....

and support their relation for a week or at least a weekend, but a nice read about an always better knowing husband.

gatorhermitgatorhermitalmost 17 years ago
Great Ending to an Excellent Story

I really liked the husband telling her to make up her mind what was important and holding firm. I expected her to just keep going and he would leave - the medical thing was really quite plausible and gave her a chance to come to here senses for a truly happy ending. Well done.

NucleusNucleusalmost 17 years ago
Definitions

Quote anonymous <i>"One of the tags said "adultery"</i>

<p>Adultery means also matrimonial misconduct. This happens in the story. Drama means not specially tragedy. Read the definitions at wikipedia. Then you know better.</p>

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Great

I enjoyed your story very much. My only suggestion is that you would have posted all at one time.

Boyd

daluentdaluentalmost 17 years ago
WOW

Excellent ending. I was expecting she was being gangbanged by those greedy assholes. Thank GOD she wasn't. I was sure something was up until he took those pictures which showed she was slowly killing herself. Coaster2 you gave us a good story. Thank you very much, Luis

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusalmost 17 years ago
Where was Mark?

Great story, but Mark is hardly a sterling husband. He grossed from the beginning about the effects of the new job, and was proven correct. But, did he contribute to the inevitable collapse. Lets see, how many trips did he make to Chicago? Oh yeah, none! He arbitrarily decided not to sell the business or lease out the house. No questions he would go to Chicago to provide any kind of home life, even temprarily. She is left to her own devices, Mark cannot be bothered to do more than have intimate dinners with Pat. After all, he is lonely, right? If this was a man trying to succeed in a new job, and the little woman complacently refusing to budge from her comfortable home to provide support, care or comfort, I think many would be calling for her head.

Sure, the end result might still have been that Jo would wake up to find that her company would use her until she was used up or wised up, but Mark should have been available, and not in Eat your Prarie either.

The NavigatorThe Navigatoralmost 17 years ago
Wonderful story

Superbly crafted. Excellent theme. Clever role reversal between husband and wife. As a retired executive of a huge international company, I met more than a few wives like Jo, so her wild drive to succeed was easily believable for me. Her downfall, recovery, and seeing the error of her ways easily fit the characters you developed. Your work is exciting to read. I'm looking forward to your next story. You are a gifted writer.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Wrong catergory

There should be a section for loving husband. This is what family is all about. Thank you coaster2 for this lovely story. Though there is no adultery, but cheating your husband and children of love and care put this story in the right grouping.

Hopefully your next story will have more chilli pepper of the sensous kind to feed the hunger of those who need them.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Where was Mark? Mark wass fighting for his

family trying to save his marriage and his wife. Workaholics never know they are sick, and incampable of making real decisions about themselves or their families. They have, like alcoholics, wait until a major crossroads appears and then decide to get well. You cant tell a workaholic they are sick, they know they arent. You cant tell them they are wrong, they know they are not. YOu can tell them they are destroying their family, they know the family is not supporting them and want them to fail. It isnt until they want to get well, that they will begin to try and then allow those others to help them. Life is a matter of balance, all things need to be taken in their turn. If you are not happy in your job, get a different job. If you are not happy in your marriage, get a divoce. If you dont love you family, leave them alone and let them grow and blossom without you. Sound harse, it may but it isnt. It is how someone with real feelings would approach like for people they respect and honor even if they dont love them.

torchthebitchtorchthebitchalmost 17 years ago
I say again, great!

One of the best stories I have read. It really does pinpoint a modern problem. Joanne's situation is all too realistic. Too many women believe the "having it all" propaganda. They just don't understand that men worked out a long time ago that to have it all, not only do you have to share the load (so we invented the key role of 'wife'), but it also has to be spread over a time scale. If not, something has to give. For Joanne it was her health. This story has resonance with a number of cases reported against companies in London where high flying women executives have suffered ill health due to corporate culture and bullying. A very good story c2. Well Done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
first time

i've ever read, i think, about a wife who's busting her butt at work until exhaustion and not fuckin' around, with the husband bitchin' all the time. <p>

may not be a very "loving wife" but at least she's not sucking some mighty 15 inch dick and oooh and aaaah for us voyeuristic audience for masturbation purposes!

DesertPirateDesertPiratealmost 17 years ago
Absolutly great!

A tale of what blind ambition and greed (power, money, accomplishment, it's still greed) can do to a relationship. Having the wife put the blinders on was an excellent touch. A great story, well told!

Zeb40Zeb40almost 17 years ago
I got my happy ending!

I didn't see this one ending well, but it was refreshing not to have an affair or some other sex situation be the problem. At least she was wise enough to realize things at the end. It was also refreshing to have a woman be the workaholic, instead of the man. Years ago, when I was much younger, I had a good friend who suffered from this illness, and it surely must be an illness, since it is so hard to change. He had a beautiful wife and two great kids, and his wife finally divorced him when he wouldn't change. It devastated him, but he still never changed. I thought this story might go that way, but was glad it didn't. Anyway, a good change of pace story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
What a waste of time

I'm going to email literotica and ask them to put this in the non-erotic section, so that someone else doesn't waste their time like I did. Congrats on getting your "Hot" tag even though it was probably the most far from "Hot" story on this site. The voting for the Loving Wives section is so backwards it's laughable.

My guess is you started to write a hot story, but caved in to the pressures of the Loving Wives nazis that gave you feedback, just so that you could score a "Hot" tag and not receive hate mail.

Harryin VAHarryin VAalmost 17 years ago
Is EspressoBolus REALLY that stupid??

no one can be that fucking stupid to ask Where was Mark?

<br></br>

why should he go to Chicago with 2 kids for a visit?

She made the decison to take the job WITHOUT any discussion from him.

<br></br>

yet some this asshole EspressoBolus is blaming the husband? tell me you stupid bastard what EXACTLY would Mark do while at Chicago? she freely admitted that she would Not have any time for the family in this new high powered high stress job even IF they were ALL in chicago .

<br></br>

<i><b>"Why the hell should I uproot Lindsay and myself to go live in some strange suburban ghetto near Chicago so that you can come home once a week or so and pay us a visit like some kind of visiting dignitary. It wouldn't be any different than it is now. There'd always be a reason you couldn't make it home, wouldn't there. An early meeting, a trip to the coast, a conference or a business dinner. Screw that! That's not what I signed on for in this marriage. We were fine until you decided that all that was more important than us." </b> </i>

<br></br>

It seems that EspressoBolus is bending so far over to PROVE he is " progressive" with his sexual roles he is about to get ass fucked by a real man .....Hillary Clinton

bornagainbornagainalmost 17 years ago
a moving story

Great story coaster2 i enjoyed this ending Joes company used her like toilet paper she was shit to her they even didnt even care about her when she was put into the hospital and when mark checked on her insurance the company wouldnt tell him until he threatend them with his lawyer.

Pat

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Impressive Author

This was strong writing without any need for freaky weirdness.<P>

I liked it a lot as it reflected life for those who fly too close to the sun regardless of gender without a flight plan.<P>

Author - you are appreciated - more please when time permits.<P>

With Very High Regard

Average-JoeAverage-Joealmost 17 years ago
Liked the story

I was happy for the change and happy that things werent as bad as they seemed in part 1 and 2 (i.e. that I was wrong). Nice to see them overcome their problems and focus on what was important. Kudos for a real happy ending that didnt involve some mental/emotional contortions on the part of either spouse. <p><p>

It was a little dry in spots and Im not sure if the structure was exactly correct for a short story (there seemed to be buildup but not much of a peak and there was too much tailing off at the end imo) but the story and message was good. <p><p>

Thanks for writing.

Risq_001Risq_001almost 17 years ago
Yep Coaster you did what I thought you would =)

<p>Nice turn about. </p>

<p>You wrote a story about a wife who was letting the drive to work hard and make a name for herself push everything else to the back of her mind while she focused on that goal</p>

<p>Same thing that men have been doing for years and one day when they look around they notice that they have no idea of who their family is, who is doing what, and whats going on with them. It reminds me of the song "Cats in the Cradle"

by Harry Chapin. I'm sure we've all heard it at one time. In this story Jo was doing that and like with most of the men in upper to middle management it caught up to her.</p>

<p>I think what these recent crop of <i>neo-chauvinist</i> who thinks that men who don't support their wives no matter what they choose to pull are forgetting something. Mark in the story was doing exactly what most housewives were doing for years. Trying to hold the family together. And <b>SOME</b> in their rush to convict missed the total point that Mark <i>didn't know</i> when Jo would be anywhere. She didn't know. She asked them to move to Chicago, but she wasn't there for long because she was moving and flying all over the place. And since Jo never returned his calls it would have been stupid of him to just waste money on a random chance she might have been at her apartment. So the suggestion for him to go to visit her would have been a stupid waste of time and money. It would have been much easier for her to get a layover near their home than Mark and family to pack up shop and make trips up to where they though she <i>might</i> be that day. Especially since she called 3 times in 3 months to tell them where she *might* be on her way to catch a flight somewhere. Some of you guys might want to read instead of skimming the story. And the son couldn't travel. He was a Freshman in college.</p>

<p>Some of you reverse chauvinist make me laugh. And you don't even realize, or will admit to yourselves, that is what your doing. (^_^)</p>

<p>Nice story Coaster. It takes some folks years to see this and in some cases they never do. And hopefully when they do, like I did, they take steps to correct it. It's rare for a company to do right by someone when either they aren't forced to or that person isn't among the senior management where they've signed a contract and are again "forced" to do this. Those of us who aren't in that catagory are seen as "interchangeable" and screwed over left and right. I know this, again, from first hand experience.</p>

-Risq

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Well Done

Thought this would be a real Greek Tragedy. Ending was a pleasant surprise. Still a strong modern morality tale.

Kanga40Kanga40almost 17 years ago
Why isn't this in "Non Erotic"?

How could the Literotica Police change the category of Harddaysknight's "Day Tripper" from Loving Wives to Non Erotic and not move this totally sexless story too? <BR>

For the basic story told it was waaaaay too long.<BR>

It was tagged 'drama' for all 3 chapters, but there was little drama in the story.<BR>

Chapter 1 was also tagged 'adultery', and there was absolutely none. Why tag a story 'adultery', then not put it in the story? Looking for readers, perhaps?<BR>

I posted somewhere that in Ch2 Coaster really was just coasting. Unfortunately in Ch3 he coasted to a lacklustre fizzle of an ending.<BR>

And that's a real shame after such a strong Ch1 which left so many possibilities for continuation.<BR>

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Could have been so much more.......

the premise of the story was excellent, but one important detail could have been done differently:

There is busy and there is swamped with work......been there and done that. But 24/7, on weekends, through the holidays?? Too busy to even call the family, to return messages?? That is really stretching it. The only possible explanations would be a) she had other distractions or b) she just didn't care about her family or her marriage.

Since this is Lit, a more plausible treatment would be an affair with a co-worker.

Of all the stories on this site, this one cried out for some cheating. Then. however it ended, you'd have a really powerful and realistic drama.

Good writing though. Enjoyed the read!

CountryCoupleCountryCouplealmost 17 years ago
Oh so different...!

Great to see the change of pace...and to see a reverse of the more traditional. A real story ...

The writing showed a certain talent.

This is a special story, with a great ending.

capecodmercurycapecodmercuryalmost 17 years ago
Nice change of pace

Coaster, I enjoyed this story. When I first started this series, I could see you taking it in one of two directions. You could have gone the more obvious, wife goes wild sexually when away from her family route or the more subtle route that you took.

I'm really glad you took the route that you did. It makes the reader think about the different ways that a spouse can be unfaithful to a marriage. If you excuse the pun, this was truly the story of an "office affair". What made it really interesting was the gender bending aspects where the driven work-a-holic was the wife and not the husband.

Good story

CCM

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Well Done

Excellent story. I can only echo Capcodmercury's words, as this is truly thoughtprovoking story about infidelity. I have seen people cheat their families with work, and it can be just as devastating as affair with another person - just in different ways.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
realistic

good portrayal of the need to "self actualize" taking over someone's life. saw it myself as a kid growing up in an executive household. Very well written. Looking forward to more.

Woodbine 68

z00timez00timealmost 17 years ago
Storage

This story was more or less, a large container for many un-deeded words. There was so much description and build up but it just ended with a little poof.

But, thanks for trying.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
I liked it but...

Coaster,

I am not sure where I wanted this story to go. It ended in a somewhat realistic fashion, but the potential for more was there. I do hope you keep writing stories here, you have talent.

EspressoBolusEspressoBolusalmost 17 years ago
Let's all just miss the point. OK?

While the story itself was well wreitten and consistent, some of the discussion about it is bizarre.

I made the simple point that Mark made no effort to stay in touch with Jo beyond phone calls.

He could have made the 400 odd mile trip to Chcago, or arranged to meet her elsewhere, probably without surrendering his balls in the effort.

And certainly no kid would even dream of going to Chicago for any reason! Yeah, dad, forget that shit.

The point in the story was that Mark felt Jo had abanonded him and the family. Lindsay agreed and college boy was out of the picture. Mark visits Irish pubs and talks to attractive widows to get perspective on the situation. Finally we all end up in the hospital, and then start filing law suits. All is forgiven. AMEN.

Why was it all or nothing?

zed0zed0almost 17 years ago
What The Fuck?

Non-Erotic? You need to create a BORING catagory!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
Loved the ending

Excellent story and ending. I liked the happy ending versus the sad ending I witnessed with the government guy. I also liked and was pleasently surprised with the fact that there was no cheating. Good work.

SleeplessinMDSleeplessinMDalmost 17 years ago
OUTSTANDING!!!

GIven the realistic problems that Jo had I was so glad you did not introduce an affair. Thanks for writing a story about the other causes which could break up a couple other than cheating.__________________________SleeplessinMD

KOLKOREKOLKOREalmost 17 years ago
HOW ABOUT MIDDLE MANAGEWMENT?

It seemed almost incredible to see Mark turning into such a decisive and assertive guy over a chapter, but credibility issues aside, I could not get over the improbablity of the paradigm within which the readers were asked to accept the story and the chracters. It's all or nothing: big corporate excecutive - with no commitment to the family or stay at home mom. It clouded the reasoning behind the whole plot. If it was a building I would say the house looks nice but the design of the structure is flawed.

ritterburg55ritterburg55almost 17 years ago
THIS DOG DON'T HUNT # 55

This was a serious work that reflected a great deal of work on the part of the author.However,it merits a poor score because of the poor finale.The author throughout the entire work took great pains to point out that the actions of the wife caused severe problems for the daughter.Yet the reader is asked to believe that the wife's selfish behavior would not elicit a corresponding rejection on the part of the family members whom she deserted.The wife made a mockery of her committment to her family as a parent and as a wife.Perhaps, her betrayal of her children is the more egregious offense in that her children are stuck with a dysfunctional parent.If one were to search for an analogy which highlights this concept, we could imagine a poker hand where one has the option to throw in one's cards and get a new hand to play, this would be husband's option.Wheras, the children must play the cards they have been dealt!The daughter will remember for the rest of her life that meaningful events in her life were not deemed to be of such import for her mom to interupt her busy schedule.The author seems to be saying that this type of abuse of the children can be condoned.This is an unacceptable position that merits condemnation.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 17 years ago
poor Lindsey

the story told of the daughter's problems yet ignored the son, she must certainly have missed his graduation from high school. Was that not another nail in the coffin?

AnonymousAnonymousover 16 years ago
A Very Good Story

A nice twist having the wife out and away earning the bucks, and also both still keeping their marriage vows. A good story, but it would have been better to have it in one piece. Thanks for the words and your time.

JackwritesstoryJackwritesstoryover 16 years ago
A great story

Well i've already made a comment on the story... and that was A VERY GOOD STORY....

Now I don't know whether or not i'm allowed to make comment on another reader's comment ... but i want say something regarding the below quoted comment -

{{THIS DOG DON'T HUNT # 55

06/24/07 by ritterburg55 in U.S.A.

This was a serious work that reflected a great deal of work on the part of the author.However,it merits a poor score because of the poor finale.The author throughout the entire work took great pains to point out that the actions of the wife caused severe problems for the daughter.Yet the reader is asked to believe that the wife's selfish behavior would not elicit a corresponding rejection on the part of the family members whom she deserted.The wife made a mockery of her committment to her family as a parent and as a wife.Perhaps, her betrayal of her children is the more egregious offense in that her children are stuck with a dysfunctional parent.If one were to search for an analogy which highlights this concept, we could imagine a poker hand where one has the option to throw in one's cards and get a new hand to play, this would be husband's option.Wheras, the children must play the cards they have been dealt!The daughter will remember for the rest of her life that meaningful events in her life were not deemed to be of such import for her mom to interupt her busy schedule.The author seems to be saying that this type of abuse of the children can be condoned.This is an unacceptable position that merits condemnation.}}

I just don't know much about love or married relationships... but the little i know is that says it is never vengeful... from time to time one partner may make mistakes, get caught up in his/her ambition which hurts the other partner... but does that mean if you are hurt you should hurt back when the other is vulnerable?!!!! nope, never... Here's why the story is great and more realistic... as Mark accepted Jo instead of her carelessness... he suffered a lot... even gave an ultimatum ... but he didn't set out to punish her... how can someone punish the person when she was ailing and dodged a more fatal experience?... I guess no one if there's love ... real love involved...

And coming back to kids... dear, she was her mother after all and everything... you can have grudges for your mother... you may feel ignored... but honey, nobody can actually carry the grudge even after learning her mother was ill, seeing her in hospital bed almost fighting for life... if they did .. i dont know much they actually loved their mother... and for a teenage girl like Lyndsey, the feeling of being ignored by her mother would always evaporate after learning her illness... 'cause that's what is natural... after all she loved her mother and that's why she felt ignored... and also the author mentioned that Jo made an effort though may be not upto the mark, to mend the differences between them...

Finally, what i want to say it is very much like a real life story... many of us gets sucked up into the golden light of success which blinds us for the consequences and we have to choose our priority ... some of us make a good decision and some of us make a bad decision... here Jo made a bad decision , but fortunately it was mended at the end...

For the person whose comment i quoted must mind that we all are not vengeful lot... may be you like to read Revenge stories.. but hey dont judge others by that standard... It is a very good story which should get a high merit... by no means a low one...

P.S. I really liked the story, that's why felt to take the authors side.

rooster1rooster1over 16 years ago
NO let down

I enjoyed it even though if in Mark's position the marriage would have been over when Jo made the decision unilaterally to accept the job over her husbands objections. Then she topped it off by what was in my view deliberately breaking her promise to Mark & the kids to both call & come home often, Jo couldn't even be bothered to return Mark's messages or plan for a holiday together, if I were her employer that lack of commitment & follow through would be a huge red flag. Please continue to write I don't need to agree with your stories to enjoy them.

LazylonerLazylonerover 16 years ago
no lawsuit?

This story has some great drama and the characters are somewhat believable. <br> <br>

Unfortunately, it doesn't ring all that true in one important aspect. You have the company effectively churn and burn a woman who they promoted from lower-level managment to VP of Marketing as if nothing was going to happen to them. I don't know where you work, but In many states, especially CA you can sue a business that basically orders you to work to exhaustion. Mark definitely has grounds for a major, multi-million dollar lawsuit against the company and there is absolutely no way the company wouldn't have known it. They also would never have been so cavilier about her collapse in a meeting. Because if a lawyer does take a look there is little to no chance to hide the kind of stock games you have the execs participating in. <br> <br>

good story, and emotional. I just wish people didn't have to abuse big business by making it look heartless to make a story work. I can't imagine any company acting as stupid as is described here.

bornagainbornagainover 16 years ago
A Real Winner

I thought the story was a great story to read its to bad you didnt continue with the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
good to....

read a LW story without the cheating! I don't usually read LW stories because it's usually about cheating and revenge (whether it's by the male or female spouse). The characters were believable and the situation is very realistic (family separated due to jobs). Thanks coaster for sharing your talent!

letmein6969letmein6969almost 16 years ago
Did she miss graduation????

Since she was home for Memorial Day and wasn't there for July 4th I can only assume that she missed her sons graduation from high school. Since a point was made of this in chapter 1 and no mention made of it in this chapter I guess that the author forgot about this.

Rereading this today after reading Coaster2's latest...

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Thank you

for such an enthralling story.

Well done, keep up the good work

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Good effort...

although I would think the issue of divorce would be pushed harder in real life.Pistolpackinpete

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Not Satisfied

Definitely in the wrong category. This was a totally non-erotic story. There is no sex in the story anywhere. I'm not exactly sure what this story is. One question to the writer ... who is the bad guy or antagonist in this story? Seems like the wife, but in the end she never does anything "wrong" and comes out smelling sweet as a rose. The Nebulous "Company" never does introduce itself. Kind of hard to think of the faceless company as a bad guy. In the end, nice story but I never would have read it if I had known it would go this way.

SELSTIMSELSTIMover 14 years ago
TRUE LOVING WIVES

A true loving wives story and closer to real life than the stories depicting wives cheating with other men. A common problem, especially, with today's economy. Both parents need to work just to keep their heads above water. That doesn't leave a whole lot of time for the family even when they're both living in the same house. To say you have a gift for writing dramatic scenarios is definately an understatement. In the beginning, you had me on the edge of my seat. A very nice well written story. I really enjoyed it. Thank you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
well thought out

and impeccably executed. thx

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Uh . . .

About the whole story :

U g g g h h h and A r r r r g g g h h h !

It's an attempt at creating a 'role reversal' situation that clearly DOES NOT WORK cause the fem is ALWAYS the same either way, extremely self centered and all bout 'me'.

This story as is it enforces that TRUTH . . .

norcal62norcal62almost 14 years ago
There aren't any ensuites in Minnesota.

Do Brits really find the word bathroom offensive? It seems so through LW stories. Maybe a general unease about intimate situations or bodily functions?

eagle14eagle14over 13 years ago
forsaking all others

Great read, an excellent story all round

Can't understand people who think that cheating in a marriage only means having sex

Cheating means putting others before your partner, be you the husband or the wife, hence the line in the marriage vows 'forsaking all others' be they lovers or your career

I've heard the quote 'no-one on their death bed wishes they had spent more time at work, but they do wish they spent more time with their family'

Again brilliant story about cheating on a marriage in a different way, maybe in general this is what's wrong with the world today at so many levels

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiabout 13 years ago
I saw myself

In reading House Divided I could see similarities to my move to Washington DC many years ago from a less stressed situation in Dallas Texas (Go Cowboys). I still wonder how much the move contributed to family break up.

Coastal has written an all too real story and written it well.

bigguy323bigguy323about 13 years ago
Nice story. In my experience by the time you reach a senior VP position in a major corporation you've already "paid your due" in terms of unending work hours.

At that level, you piss down the necks of more junior *(and younger) executives. As a RULE at the senior VP level your role is primarily oversight and vision.

If she was really doing all that work, she really wasn't ready for a senior spot.

Remember the plumbers rule: "Shit flows downhill".

GualterioGualterioabout 13 years ago
Interesting

True love is really caring and being willing to sacrifice for your mate. Self-centeredness is seemingly involved in most betrayals of marital vows. In this case it was job-related versus sexual. This story should make a lot of career-oriented folks think. Is it possible they are putting their job ahead of their family?

FD45FD45almost 13 years ago
Why is this in Loving Wives?

It's false advertising. It was well written, but it was a non-erotic story and certainly not a loving wife one. Perhaps selfish, but not a cheater.

on another note, a lot of your stories are listed as novellas. That is fine, but as a personal note, unless the blurb is VERY clear that it is a topic I want to read, I am chary about starting a long piece unless I am already very familiar with the quality of the writing and their ability with short stories. Why do I mention this? You seem to prefer novellas.

Thank you for writing

chytownchytownalmost 13 years ago
Good Read!!

Readers Digest would have love to have published this back in the day. Thanks for The Read!!!!!!

RePhilRePhilover 12 years ago
True Love

Is what this story left me with!

drtsdrtsover 12 years ago
enjoyed

the best story I have read here to this point....

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
This is the best story of yours that I have read.

A nice little story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Very true

The pressure of working for a public company is told very well in this story. The only thing missing was the option of the family staying in MN, and her commuting to Chicago, rather than move the family. Lots of that these days when so many spouses both have serious jobs.

I enjoyed the story. Thanks for all your hard work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
I voted this series 4 stars, even though I enjoyed it immensely...

It turned out well in the end, but only because the choice was finally TAKEN AWAY from Jo.

Yes, Mark stood his ground, and gave her the ultimatum that was TOO LONG in coming. Yes, Jo realised, while still functioning in her work role, what her choice had done to her relationship, and to her daughter.

However, she still returned to her job, and she was resigned to the fact that Lindsay was distancing herself away from her mother.

The fact is, if it hadn't been that she collapsed, and could no longer service her work role, she would have continued, and eventually the relationship would have completely died.

Jo never chose her family, until her work life was taken away by circumstances outside of her control.

So I gave this 4 stars, simply because that was never resolved.

As an analogy, if it had been another man, and not a job, that she had followed to Chicago, then if that man had been killed by an angry postal worker, it is as if she was taken back by all with open arms like nothing had ever happened, and she had to face no consequences. Not even having it pointed out to her.

If Jo had looked after herself, eaten well, slept well and exercised while doing her job, she would never have returned to her family. She even pushed her own daughter and husband into involvement with Pat, the widow next door, as a surrogate for her presence. On reading it I feel she did this on purpose, even when she went to Pat and talked to her before she left the very first time.

The story should have had some acknowledgement of this fact.

A true 'Loving Wife' in the cynical sense. She may as well have worked her pussy through the whole board, and the local mob, for how much respect she had for her family.

Still, very good writing, and I love a happy ending.

Danger09Danger09over 11 years ago
I like it

But I didn't love it. The husband took too long to speak his mind, Jo was being very selfish , I didn't see how this move would've help their family. Jo had already made up her mind in regards to accepting the job/move, she didn't come home to talk it over with her family which is what should've happened, she saw the move to chicago as her way of finally getting recognition in terms of her professionalism but she refused to see what the move/new job meant to her family, all I heard while she was pleading her case was me, me, me, me; she was a drive by mom & a drive by wife. It's great to be successful but sometimes success can come with a high price. If I was the husband I would have told her " I won't tell you what to do but I'm not selling my business, uprooting our kids, selling the house we've made a home , leaving our family & friends-- it would've sound as if he wasn't being very supportive but it needed to be said, jo obviously was only thinking of Jo.big decisions such as this should be discussed & thought out thoroughly. My husband wanted to move to Atlanta , Georgia at first I was for the idea but after thinking about it & talking it through I nixed the move, all our family & friends are in FL, I didn't want to leave them, so we compromised, I don't have to leave my family & friends & we only move an hour away. It irritated me that she just decide to accept the job & then went home & told her husband of this decision she didn't think to talk it over with him or her kids or she wouldn't of been so happy when she got home-- her mind was already made, I think she was willing to divorce her family if need be for this job that almost killed her.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 11 years ago
Loved it!

One of my absolute favorites. Well written and truly kept me guessing as to the outcome. What a breath of fresh air to read a story not involving cheating. This truly made me happy.

karan9876karan9876over 11 years ago
the husband was a wimp in disguise.

The husband was a wimp in disguise. He took way too long to drive some sense into his wife's head. The important point out here is that they did not need the money. If money was tight and the wife would be working so hard to earn it would make sense but that was not the case out here. Thus, the husband should have spoken long back or else kicked her ass out. As i said just another wimp in disguise.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Really interesting...

Well written story actually. I agree with other commenters that he was kinda wimpish in allowing his wife to break up the family for a year just to satisfy her selfish desire to succeed. Love to me is sacrificing one's own need to succeed to make the family happy. Especially if you have and have had a good life. That she did not cheat or find someone else is what kept this story together at all. Still...she did betray her husband and children to do something completely self-centered and not in the family's interest. I can see it as a mental illness I suppose. I find it hard to see her as a loving mother and wife, but then this was a story about what happens when a spouse becomes driven to succeed on their own. Usually it is one concerning the husband...so it is highly different in that regard. So many stories lead to a woman cheating if the husband did this. Oh well, there are many kinds of betrayals other than cheating with someone else sexually. This is just another one and the family survived it... thanks for writing and sharing

OldMarineVet- Ron Wood

fanfarefanfareover 11 years ago
whaddah bunch of goofs!

I gotta wonder about all the little boys commenting about this fictional story. I'm guessing they are having tantrums about a little girl bullying them and taking their toys away?

If Jo's character had been Joe and 'he' had wrecked 'his' family life for the common delusion of success, would any of these 'feeb anonymouseies' called Mark/Mary a wimp for being the dutiful 'wife'? No, they would have slavering all over themselves with adolescent insults for not "Standing By Her Man".

The blatant hypocrisy of these silly little men with their shrill whining, who lack the intellectual capacity to understand themselves and their own inadequacies absolutely boggles my mind!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
people comment

people have always commented about stories, and the characters. dickens, bradburry, vern, poe, and thousands of others who put their name on stories, popular or not. it is a testament to an author that he gets strong emotions from readers, both good and bad. authors try new things, develope story lines and then see how they worked. as an author you read and learn and somethimes you say fuck it and keep on doing what you do and at other times you see a comment and make a change for the next story. we used to say in the military there is no such thing as a stupid quesiton just a stupid answer. the same goes for comments about a story. there is no such thing stupid about a comment to a story - it it only stupid when you rag on the commentors instead of the story.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
My favorite Coaster 2 story !

There's a strong ethos reminiscent of the one in 7 Habits of Highly Succesful People by Stephen Covey . The narrator listens and tries very hard to be sensitive to his family's collective desires. In the case of Jo ( his absentee workaholic wife ) he probably was too deferential for too long.

Finally though here the narrator rears up & takes a unequivocal stand & communicates forcefully & clearly the cause of his dissatisfaction. He's human & made a mistake but corrects it- man that's as good as it gets.

There are flaws in the story and it's logic. The wife does have a sensitivity chip missing or only half registering. But the overriding transcendent part of the story is how a crisis creeps in and takes root & once identified definite corrective steps are taken with the ideal of a win/ win conclusion ( as much as possible ) for all involved.

When the narrator acts, it's not out of pure self interest. He's thinking of the faimly as a whole. He consults doctors & trusted friends. The narrator is the strongest person but the concern is the long term outlook not a short term conflict where his self concerns are immediately served.

You can win the battle but lose the war. Coaster2 shows us here the converse of that principle, in this overall sublime story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Unfaithful isn't limited to sex.

I didn't like the husband. He accepted that his wife decided to forget about him and their kids, to play corporate hotshot. I really wouldn't feel differently if the roles were reversed, and the man decided to toss his marital life in favor of becoming a bigshot. These weren't young kids- these were sucessful married adults. They had a fine life together until the wife CHOSE to throw that life away. I love my wife and would die for her, but I couldn't and wouldn't accept being an afterthought or minor detail in a Ms Bigwig's life. Life doesn't have a delete button, we all live with our decisions. Except of course, this wife. It's fine with her family- they're OK with being "second choice" in her life. AFTER she falls on her face she gets to go back to her old life. Her husband forever would know that his wife wanted something "better" than life with him, but settled for that, cuz she couldn't achieve better.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 11 years ago
One more thought . . .

I don't see this guy as a wimp, simply a loving husband trying to balance support for his wife with common sense. He tries hard to convince her otherwise and then puts the pressure on her when it counts. How about a loving husband category?

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 11 years ago
Better

This turned out better than I thought. I guess sometimes love wins after all.

HardFeltHardFeltover 10 years ago
5 stars but what a crock

Talented author.

Loving husband and a WIMP, totally bad combination.

Well written though.

LaroneLaroneover 10 years ago
Yay its done

This last part tied things up well and again was well written and an easy read. That said it has a few problems.

Wimp boy FINALLY tells her off and she agrees to try harder and that lasted what a couple weeks.... again... and yet the narration makes it sound like he was still upbeat and hopeful. Sorry but no.

Next is her health problems building for more than a month with him just mentioning it on the phone. Wow that so caring. As soon as he noticed it he should have found a way to get to to stop by and literally drag her to the doctor.

After everything there is mention getting her weight and energy back up but other than him making plans in the bar there is no mention of her mental problems. Then there's the marriage counseling that she obviously needs.

Then there's that last paragraph. Everything about it wrong. Without getting her psychiatric help everything is just shiny and happy in their marriage, and they've put the "near disaster" in the past.

NEAR DISASTER? She basically shows no respect or love for her husband and children or their opinions or feeling on her new job or its effect on their lives and ends up in the hospital needing physical therapy to recover from over-working. So what would it take to be an actual disaster?

The only character I had any positive thoughts about was the daughter... and even she ended up just going with the flow and forgiving the bitch with nothing more than a couple more phone calls. I know teenage girls like talking on the phone but come on.

SplitAcesSplitAcesabout 10 years ago
Got to agree with Monkcalm

She's shown her true colors; self-centered to the max. She needs to be kept on a very short leash.

KarenEKarenEabout 10 years ago
She Was Blind?

Maybe so, but every time he tried to talk to her about it she got mad at him!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES