All Comments on 'A Really Big Mistake'

by ReedRichards

Sort by:
  • 148 Comments
johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 5 years ago
LW romance

I miss your Romance stories. This was nice. Believable sympathetic characters. Thanks *****

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Make dropping

You covered most of the big names in a decent little story. But really, couldn't you find a small part for old Joe? I think you were trying to get a few little digs in with descriptions of the named characters. I'm not smart enough to figure them all out, but someone will. Should be some interesting comments on this one.

PowersworderPowersworderover 5 years ago

I enjoyed it, but it felt like you rushed the ending. There was a big build up to her meeting the ex-husband, then you skipped the whole thing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Stranger things have happened

... and there's no denying the troubles and challenges a man has to go through for free pussy, even it means climbing up a flight of stairs while suffering with diabetes. 4* for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow....

....great story, really well written. This story seemed to have genuine feeling, and probably very realistic. I usually like mild btb or revenge stories, but this was just so well done, i really enjoyed it. 5 stars. Thanx!

Loklie

chytownchytownover 5 years ago
Good Readers Digest Story***

Thanks for the read.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 5 years ago
Damn

You had to do it, didn't you. Give the cheating cunt a happy ending. The only reason I could see him returning to that twat was that he needed someone to care for his needs in his old age. He figured, why not. Her pussy is as good as anybody's. Other than that to me it's nonsensical. Just my opinion, broken or not.

No stars, not worth the credit.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958over 5 years ago
Well, Stretch, I enjoyed your story.

It was a little weird because of the names thing. I certainly don't mind, but it wasn't a humorous story, just a kind of sad sweet one, so it was kind of jarring. You've always had the ability to write a really good story; you just choose to write mostly things you think are edgy, but wind up being sketchy. I would say you're lucky I'm not your dog. I would conspire with MFH and eat you. Mixed feelings. Good story, but the names didn't really fit the story style. Thanks for writing, Randi.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
WAIT....WAIT.....AND SEE WHAT OCCURS WITH AGE AND TIME

but shouldn't there be a time limit or parameters, everyone needs hope, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Ending ?

Pity about the ending, it seems like three quarters of the story is missing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
meh

Should have named him Jody.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Tedious. Makes you notice things like ‘fired chicken’ that much more.

NexttimeroundNexttimeroundover 5 years ago
Well written

with plenty of insight and real feeling. Durgh! to me as I didn't realise what the author was doing with names until I read the comments. So I do hope it all turns out much better next time round...

DominantYetServile22DominantYetServile22over 5 years ago
too bad she cost them both 24 years of the life they were supposed to have

I think that's what some of the commenters aren't getting....it's not about a fantasy of the jilted husband winning the lottery and marrying the entire Hawaiian Tropics Swimsuit Team while the cheater gets put in the poor house and dies of AIDS or any other juvenile shit. It's about loss. Horrible fucked up mistakes that cost you, your spouse, and your entire family something....even if the marriage survives or there is eventual reconciliation. There's always some loss for the whole family, and some of what is lost will never be restored. It's as much of a cautionary tale as any hardcore BTB story.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 5 years ago
The problem for me was plot, or purpose.

This was a woman retelling her life's story, the abridged version. Nothing really happened. If there was a plot, I missed it. I guess you enjoyed dropping a couple of names, but you failed to give them much personality. Was this story simply a reason to use the names? You write well, but you need to find something to say, a way to actually entertain the reader. Just cranking out mediocre stories gets old. I can vouch for that!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thanks for the accurate description of my home town

But sad to say, I do believe that wonderful seafood restaurant is now closed at the end of Willoughby Spit. I will say, there aren't too many Harrys in this part of Virginia, so I'll keep an eye out for the miscreant.

As to the story, the ending is a bit too abrupt. I would have loved hearing the conversation that melted that frozen heart again.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
BBL:

What, after 24 years of divorce, you don’t think Emily had paid enough of a price?

There was a reason for Blaine being partially disabled; it was so the notion that Emily was just free pussy wasn’t an issue. If Emily and Blaine woke up together, it would be a reunification of love, not just sex.

And there was a reason for Emily not having dated much following the divorce; it takes away the typical LW complaint that she’ll just cheat on him again, you know, the once a cheater always a cheater statement.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nice enough but some flaws

Decent enough voice if a bit one-dimensional (She does agonize a lot but that was your intent, so no real problem there). Ending seems rushed. I’m fairly sure that was your intent but some resolution of the husband’s anger and grudge-holding is in order, even if the story is from her thoughts and priorities. Keep at it.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
26thNC:

Using the names wasn’t meant as a dig; it was just an attempt at a small bit of humor. I figured that Kimi would enjoy the pick axe part, and even though HarryinVA doesn’t like me, he can’t object to being described as good looking, successful and vigorous.

I did think it a stretch to name Betty Lou’s husband Jim Bob, or even just plain Bob.

I do have family in Maine, and my cousin has a Maine coon, though his name isn’t Fiddlehead.

bruce22bruce22over 5 years ago
Perfectly Comprehensible Fuckup

After two more divorces and 24 years and knowing from the beginning that she never stopped loving him it would not be a hard choice. All you men who expect to live to old age watch your sugar intake it may feel good at the moment but you may spend twenty or thirty years paying.

bruce22bruce22over 5 years ago
I seem to have lost my comment.

I said that after 47 years of her loving him it was no surprise and that everyone should control their sugar intake.

rnebularrnebularover 5 years ago
Not bad, dialog was a little lacking

I did enjoy the dig half way through, was very funny. Overall, not bad for what it was, a woman lamenting aboit her affair and what it cost her. The ending kind of felt like a quick exit strategy for the story, but it works enough to finish the tale. I would like to have seen a bit more, but it's Friday and I don't feel like writing my own (just kidding). Thanks RR!

Rnebular

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Blaine was an idiot for divorcing her

What did he think was going to happen?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nope and no thank you! You robbed him the last he had, his pride.

Rotten in hell

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
2*s

Well, that was an embarrassing read.

Was it name-dropping satire?? Was it an attempt to a story while teasing some folks here??

Whatever it is, ReedRichards, please not again, ever!!!

Thank you for the consideration. That left me not

AMerryman

avidfaavidfaover 5 years ago
Great Easter egg!

the last thing I wanted to think about was Harry in Virginia!

swingerjoeswingerjoeover 5 years ago
Meh +1

Whenever I read a story, I look for a “moral of the story”, some lesson we’re supposed to learn from it, or some reason why the author wrote it in the first place. In this story, it seems the lesson is: don’t cheat. Okay, that’s pretty obvious. So, what else? Don’t divorce your wife if she cheats because you might need her to help you get around when you’re old and feeble? Meh.

RR, you’re treading on thin ice by giving your characters names that coincide with LW writers and readers. I did that once, and Randi teamed up with her psychotic Aussie friend to pen a couple of “satires” aimed at me. Hers was hilarious and original. It was about a guy who lived in his mother’s basement! How does she come up with this stuff?! Genius-level satire! Boy, that hit so close to home because that’s exactly where I live! How did she know?!

I also wrote a story about a disgusting woman named Pammy who insulted everyone who provided her with free chili. That one also hit a little too close to home, I guess.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 5 years ago
Works for me

I'm not big on RAAC but she punished herself sufficiently for 24 years. He punished himself and couldn't find happiness. The best they can ask for in their retirements as comfortable companionship. Both are financially secure and have the time to make each other a priority. Those TDY assignment to Turkey were notorious for breaking up marriages. I never had to go there but one of my friends who did came back to a cheating wife and divorce. That was a sad memory to relive. I lost touch with that guy after I left the service. Who knows, since they had three kids, maybe they found their way back together. Probably not.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Excellent writing, as usual.

But kind of a downer. Maybe you have a sequel on the shelf?

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
By an account

The only reason why he winds up back with her; is because of two other cheating sluts/whores.

Well, at least he is with someone who will hopefully take care of him as his health continues to deterioate.

Not sure if I see it as her being rewarded for her infedelity as someone else had posted. After all she would have missed out on some of his more active years; to now just taking care of him in his declining years. - more like she suffered a penance for her infedelity and lost/threw away a lot of good years.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Pretty much bullshit

But at least the guy realized he could get some needed help before it all went away again. Maybe even put so much guilt on her that she would have to stay until he died. Just being honest about the story.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Thoughts

If she feels so bad, why did she take half of his pension? She has a good retirement herself. Did he get half of hers? For that matter, why not own up to it? Yes, it would hurt her reputation, maybe the settlement, but if she feels that guilty she should take her punishment. The kids already know, they should be the only ones she really cares about.

"I'd rather pay the taxes then, and not get socked with tax bills when I retired" - Um, the whole point of paying them later is that your income is less, so your tax rate is lower.

I agree with Powersworder, how could you not show that meeting? That was the climax of the whole story, given the ending maybe even more important than the scene with her confession!

The problem with using the names as humor was this wasn't at all a humorous story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Late Rebound

An interesting love story with someone going off the rails and paying the price. In this case there is some, maybe true-to-life ending to the story. Not a BTB but some of that did happen. Reconciliation is not always a good ending but in this case, "ya done good".

T.T.

kimi1990kimi1990over 5 years ago
How flattering!

I am in a Mr. Fantastic story! Will I get cosmic powers? I would love to have the power to know how many jellybeans are in a jar. Could you arrange that? Why am I a narc? I almost never rat on people. If I see a murder in an alley, I just think, "None of your business, keep walking."

Pick-axes! My favorite tools. Right next to carrot peelers, that is. You can easily carry a carrot peeler in your purse in case you need to stab someone in the neck. A pick-axe is a little more problematic. People tend to stare, but if you need someone bludgeoned, I'm your girl. I have to give five stars to any story that mentions Harry, of course. Plus, you threw in Randi, Mainefiddleheads (you do know that's an edible fern, right?) Bebop3 and the wretched creature, too! Well done. The story is the best LW story you've ever written, by the way. Great effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

This began for some follow up. Agree that the ending feels rushed.

enderlocke77enderlocke77over 5 years ago
i heard somewhere

that time heals all wounds. skipping the dinner sort of, kind of pissed me off but got over it lol ty for the read

ValintValintover 5 years ago
Hmm...

The "taking half his pension" thing seems like a huge issue to get over, particularly since he's now retired and going to be reminded of that every time he gets a pension check.

It seems particularly gratuitous, since she was apparently doing well financially on her own and didn't need the money. That he *could* have introduced evidence of infidelity if it weren't for the "My daughter would never testify against me" thing seems like it would have really damaged his relationship with his daughter back then... which is a separate harm that he can lay at his ex-wife's feet, and would be hard to get over.

I guess I can understand the conclusion on a "Is my life better off if I spend it brooding at home, or if I allow this person into my life who's going to be sensitive to my disabilities and doing everything she can to make things up to me?" level. I mean, the situation is presented less as a guy who's choosing between her and all of the other options, and more a guy who's already gone through a bunch of other options and is choosing between her and being alone, so sure.

That's a different situation from getting remarried, or even deeply trusting her again, though.

MaxiMilfMaxiMilfover 5 years ago
You never fail to please!

Once again, a great STORY from the Reed man. Thank you. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to more of your stuff.

Richie4110Richie4110over 5 years ago
Well Told Story

I really liked reading this tale of woe but I thought the ending, while satisfying, was abrupt. A more thorough segue of that meeting that brought them together would add immeasurably to the story. However, I enjoyed it enough to give it 5 stars.

Thanks for providing this entertaining story.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
Mr Brooks:

Remember: when the divorce came, she didn’t have a solid retirement built up.

I’m a firm believer in the Roth 401(k) method. Not only do you pay the income taxes up front, but as long as you are in a Roth plan for at least five years, there’s no tax on the investment gains. That’s a really big tax break.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
SJoe:

If Randi and her Aussie friend — Vandy, I s’pose — decide to team up and write a satire about me, I’m sure I’ll feel honored. Just so’s they remember: my wife is named Susan and while I can stretch to ant dimension, I’ve got a thing like Ben Grimm. 😀

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Wow you fucked over the man more than she did

She goes on with life has a great retirement a nice house and him he's dying, thanks a lot Reed Richards.

CaOldDogCaOldDogover 5 years ago
Good story and

You even managed to have a villain "HarryinVA".

ejsathomeejsathomeover 5 years ago
Enjoyed your little story . . .

. . . but what interested me more was seeing a comment from "TT." Great to see him back on the site. TT, if you are reading this, you've been missed. How about that last chapter of "A Town Without Honor?" It's been an awfully long wait.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Okay decent story.....

The ending was a little to abrupt for my liking, but overall a decent cheating story. I read for entertainment and don't understand all the hoopla negativity. There is no way one can please every reader, why even try. One of your better ones Mr. Richards, thanks for the entertainment. (signed ML)

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
RR

Didn't mean the dig comment in a bad way. Just wondered why they were in a very serious story.. As a reader of all your stories, I kept waiting for a punchline that never came. On LW , it's often difficult to follow which author is feuding with whomever. I haven't been around long enough to know how the wind blows, so I have no problem with anyone except HarryVa and Gpup. They are insufferable. I think SJ is really bummed out because he wasn't in your story. The story was definitely good, but as a die hard BTB guy, she just got off way too easy. Keep writing and I will keep reading.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Crash, bang, boom!

The story started out as a typical BTB story. She cheats. She gets caught. Her husband divorces her. So here we are 20 years later. They've had no communication during those years. And in the final three paragraphs, with no dialogue and no explanations you magically RAAC them? That was simply too far a leap for me. He knows about the dinner, yet he goes ahead and signs a lease. He has no intentions of reconciling with her. Yet you put him in her bed. Good start, horrible ending.

2 stars

dragonmann72dragonmann72over 5 years ago
Captain Fantastic...

Just a few questions as you started your story with, 'It was sunny this morning, but still autumn-time cool.' First line first paragraph. then you wrote 'It was cloudy this morning, with some fog and morning mist; it looked like it could rain at any time, but there wasn't enough wind to push any rain far enough onto the porch to get me wet.' First line second paragraph. Which was it sunny or cloudy?

Virginia law for adultery, 'Public displays of affection, such as hand-holding, kissing, and hugging, between the guilty spouse and the paramour are generally sufficient evidence to indicate an adulterous disposition. Opportunity may be proven by showing that your spouse was seen entering the paramour's apartment at 11 P.M. and not coming out until 8 A.M. the following morning and that they were alone. If you can only prove disposition but not opportunity, the courts may not allow your divorce because the court may reason that it is just mere speculation. The same is true if you only show that there was opportunity, but cannot prove disposition. When you think about it, this seems to make sense. Evidence must be more than strongly suspicious. Post-separation adultery may also be the basis for the deserting party to obtain a divorce based upon adultery.'

First she confessed to Blaine but you wrote 'Blaine knew that I'd cheated on him, but he had no actual proof that would stand up in court and that meant, in Virginia, that a 'no-fault' divorce was all that he could get.'

Then you wrote this, 'Sometimes I thought back, and rued that morning; if Traci hadn't shown up unexpectedly, Blaine would never have found out about my affair, and we'd still be married today, enjoying our retirement.' What about Kimi?

You never answered the question about what Blaine did with the apartment he was now saddled with for the next year or how much he lost to each of his other slut wives.

Reed you can do better than this so how about trying harder next time.

danoctoberdanoctoberover 5 years ago
Bittersweet.

But still very well done. *****

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
Kimi asked me if . . .

. . . I knew that fiddleheads were an edible fern. It should be no surprise to her that there are Mainiacs in my family.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
26thNC wrote:

"The story was definitely good, but as a die hard BTB guy, she just got off way too easy."

She got off too easy? She was divorced, and while her life eventually became financially successful, her personal life was lonely for 24 years. How does that constitute getting off way too easily?

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
The ending

Several commenters noted that I omitted the dinner, and went straight to the next morning. That was intentional: such a dinner is going to last a couple of hours, and be filled mostly with small talk. While it leaves some issues for the reader to resolve, I thought that that scene might prove too drawn out.

aptonthe503aptonthe503over 5 years ago
Far Be It For Me...

To tell you how to write your stories, after all I am just a consumer.

If I am truly dissatisfied, I can take my business elsewhere!

But I enjoyed this read and the tongue in cheek humor with your name dropping (though the villainous behavior by HiV was to realistic).

It was a good recounting by Emily of love betrayed, lost and her yearning for redemption and reconciliation.

I prefer to have witnessed the dinner, but we obviously know the outcome.

Thanks for sharing!

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 5 years ago
RR

Remember, you wrote, "If Traci hadn't showed up that morning we'd still be married." No regret for cheating, just that she was caught. I didn't say once a cheater, always a cheater. Blaine was sick and he wasn't going to refuse free help. Just because she is back doesn't mean he loves her. He tolerates her. What she did was unforgivable.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@RR Re: Pensions

While it may be true that she didn't have a large pension at the time of the divorce, then why did she get HALF of his pension, which was presumably larger than it was at the time of the divorce?

Also, you didn't address the other part of my question: She felt so guilty over her cheating, yet she's still going after his pension? Ans as someone else said, by the time he was collecting his, she had a comfortable pension, why not refuse her half?

mordbrandmordbrandover 5 years ago
She wasn't heartbroken enough

To turn down Alimony and half of his entire military retirement even though she had, by her own description, a good paying job and later made good investments. She wasn't sad and guilty enough to say, "Don't ruin your career by retiring from the military early, I'll ask the lawyer to exempt your retirement."

No, she punished herself mentally while enjoying all the financial benefits. She was disillusioned with men so she couldn't find love in the years following her divorce. Yeah, that is utter hell on Earth.

Meanwhile, the author made sure to burn the evil husband that didn't come crawling back until he was old and having several complications from diabetes. He got married to a couple more cheats and was likely fucked over again. Then in his twilight he crept back home to let the original Delilah tenderly care for him. Better the bitch you know than the ones you don't, right? If only he had stayed with her from the start, it would have been sunshine and roses. That is the moral of this RR story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Excellent story. I have to shake my head at the hardcore BTB'ers who think she didn't suffer enough? Did we read the same story? She paid for her affair for multiple DECADES. I was honesty hoping for a RAAC at the end, this story definitely deserved one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
God damn it!

Those are the only words spoken by Blaine in this story. RR were you raised in a laboratory devoid of humans like the monkey experiments in the 60s? You have no understanding of human behavior. Wife cheats on her husband with a co-worker and only confesses because she is forced to by her daughter who witnessed the affair. How does it make sense that he can't prove she cheated? She admitted her affair and daddy's girl will back him up. Why would a woman who cheated on her husband live like a nun after a divorce? She makes no effort over the years to make any contact with him including working with her own daughter. You miss the whole point of LW stories which is to look at the relationship between a husband and a wife.

Your last story was clearly a troll job where you portrayed gays as horny out of control people who forced themselves on a woman who had no self control and disrespected her loving husband. You don't have a problem with spelling or grammar but your stories suck.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

It's really starting to get old with the Clique of Lit mentioning each other in their stories BORING! then this ass has them magically reunite over 20 years later, no dialogue whatsoever between them, what happened did you get bored with your own writing?

InescuInescuover 5 years ago
Missing something . . .

The whole story was building towards a resolution between the husband and wife and you simply skipped passed it. What was the point of that? I'm okay with the reconciliation, but the dialog between the two to work that out seems critical to the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
where the hell is the ending

There is no point to this sorry story.

mordbrandmordbrandover 5 years ago
@detroit

She chose to pay in the fashion she did. She could have cultivated another relationship or even paid for companionship with her ex husband's money, but she felt guilty. She could have seen a psychiatrist, but she chose not to.

The person who truly paid, again because this author loves to fuck over a spouse who isn't willing to accommodate cheating, was the husband. He lost half his retirement and paid alimony because as guilty as she supposedly felt, she sure didn't turn down the money. I notice he never got a portion of her 401k either. Then the author, as previously discussed, paired him up with two more cheaters. Finally sticking him with a chronic disabling disease so that he would raac with his ex, who presumably would be able to take care of him for the few remaining years he has left.

I'm not saying she should have been burnt at the stake, but if she TRULY felt remorseful, she should have offered an even split with no alimony or retirement money involved. It was her fucking fault, literally, and she ended up with a sweetheart settlement. Her choosing to become nun like was all a personal choice.

penneydog55penneydog55over 5 years ago
Wowee!

In a nutshell!...I feel Sad and Sorrow for Blaine and Emily!...For a Stupid Brain Fart on Emily's brain....She had an affair thus wrecking both Husband and wife's lives!...What a waste!....Fantastic Story★★★★★ WOOF !

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Dadgum Reed

Quit picking on me. I liked the dang story, even without a BTB. But seriously, she was deprived of only Blaine's love for 24 years. A love she lost by her own bad choices, no one elses. She was alone by her own choice, not Blaine's. That's regret, not consequences. She cheated, she got caught. Her fault.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Nice "fill in the blanks" ending

Nice story with only the essential features of character development -- just enough to create the mental picture. And that's not easy to do! The story got me to wondering again, without getting any answers though, about the Hows and Whys of the oft-observed seduction that was a feature of this story. It seems to happen often in "real life" usually with predictable consequences and it usually features the "loving spouse" who falls for a slick line and then . . . disaster.

Thanks for the nudge.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
Anony asked why . . .

. . . Blaine couldn’t prove Emily cheated, because she’d confessed it to him, and his ‘daddy’s girl’ daughter could testify for him. I specifically wrote that Emily believed that Traci would never testify against her mother, and at least initially Blaine does not know that Emily confessed only because Traci was going to tell her father if her mother didn’t ‘fess up.

Another commenter asked why Blaine didn’t get half of 😩Emily’s 401(k), and the answer is simple: it wasn’t that large in 1993.

Divorced spouses, almost always wives, getting half, or at least part, of their ex-husband’s military retirement is due to a law passed by Congress; a lot of military wives were left high and dry after 20+ years with a career soldier after they were divorced. I’m not sure when that law was passed, it might not have been by 1993, but I know, personally, due to a family member, that it was in effect by 2001.

Blaine having two more ex-wives is a reflection of a real Air Force veteran I know; him catching on with Lockheed is another vet, and the diabetes is yet another veteran, though an Army vet.

0zed0zedover 5 years ago
Meh

WOW! 24 years? Really? That's gotta be a new Lit slut wife record for keeping her legs together, before luring the wimp back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
The ending was short and too abrupt

The story was pretty good till the ending. 24 years divorce and back together in two paragraphs. Why.?

PostScriptorPostScriptorover 5 years ago
You spend too much...

Of your time reading on Lit.!!! LOL

A coon hound named Maine Fiddleheads and a villain named Harry in VA????

Worth the read though.... so 5*

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchover 5 years ago
Sorry Reed, you showed zero reason why he should take her back

What a vile money grubbing corpra-biotch.

I do love your smooth and well-structured writing. None, or very little, of the hunting to see who a pronoun refers to. Or who a name represents.n

FD45FD45over 5 years ago
Misplaced word count

I know far more about her and her daughter's personal finances than that of her husband, her dating life, and how they reconciled.

I am not dinging you on having a reconciliation. I am stating that this magic transition, which was supposed to be 'feel good', lacked any impact because we didn't know him, we barely knew her (save her credit score) and POOF they were sleeping together.

Ignore the naysayers and give a shot at having that conversation! You will fail initially but you'll catch the knack soon enough. But then again, except for talking to Betty Lou, that was the ONLY conversation in this entire piece. The seduction, the conflict, the fight with the daughter...all was TOLD to us, not HEARD by us.

THIS is the skill set you should be working on. Because we are here for porn: sex porn, pain porn, torture porn or drama porn.

So these cut aways gyp the readers in some ways.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Not gonna happen

After 24 yrs I doubt very much he would take her back.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Bull

Very sad that in the day of "equality" a woman with a decent job cheats and comes out laughing while the guy loses half of everything. And she wasnt so upset at losng him or apologetic about her betrayal she didnt gladly grab half his money and then think of offering charity to him as he was left struggling. As bad was the daughter who easily forgave her mother breaking up the family and betraying the father she loved so much. these stories make me sick

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Well, at least it generated a lot of comments. That must be worth something, write?

What was here was OK, but what was left out could have been great. She engaged in 3 months of fucking another man, and only stopped because her husband would be coming home pretty soon. She wasn't just fucking another man, she was romancing, dating, making love, emotionally bonding with an asshole who cared only about his access to her holes. And her only real regret was that she got caught, and her husband wouldn't forgive her. Nowhere does she examine or explain the failure of her character, her ethics, her betrayal of her husband and destruction of her children's family. Lonely maybe makes you have sex on the sly, occasionally. A long term love affair? That's a failure of a greater magnitude. What she really that shallow and selfish, or was there a deeper problem with the marriage?

So why not explore this Blaine guy who has three successive wives cheat on him? Was he a bad person, or just a poor judge of character?

So, thanks for what you did write. Just wish you had filled in all the empty places you left.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good story.

They are back together because she needs him, and he needs her for the same yet entirely different reasons. Relationships do matter to the human species, regardless of the importance of sex or no sex in that relationship. Wouldn’t want every story in this category to broach this subject, but this one fits nicely among those about cuckolding and unfaithfulness.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

You proved my point, Mordbrand, thank you. She CHOSE to suffer because of her guilt. That's the entire reason the exile of 24 years WORKS. Would you rather her be unapologetic and without remorse? Would that help justify your reasoning? She decided to pay a long penance for her affair, and that's the very reason why the reconciliation works in this case.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
The Same Reason

In 1976 the Air Force sent me to Germany. When we received the orders my wife and I were thrilled. My wife spoke fluent German and I could order a beer with no problem. Everything sounded great until we got there and learned that I would be traveling around Europe for weeks or months at a time. My first two week trip took me back to the States for training before our household goods arrived and then it was trip after trip to different bases. I did get home most weekends but during the week my wife was alone and lonely. To fill her time she took some college classes but when she told me she met a friend who wanted to take her to dinner. I knew she was depressed and lonely and told her she could join him but I warned her that he was interested in more than dinner. She said that would never happen. Three weeks later, after a two month TDY, I was having sex with her and realized that she had recently had sex. It hurt but I knew it was a possibility when I told her she could see her friend. Her affair lasted over a year with my knowledge but I loved her and to be honest when I was home the sex was great because she felt guilty. That was 42 years ago and I still love her.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 5 years ago
Well........

On the positive side,

I enjoyd reading this story,

right up to the end.

And that is new to me

reading a RR story.

I'm not a fan of his stories

........or his comments

on other writer's stories.

That might as well be my fault

as his.

There are, however, reasons

for my dislikes.

RR starts his stories strong (those I've read),

but they quickly peter out.

That is a sure way to disappoint a reader.

The other big thing here, is we know

so little about Blaine.

The writer decides to make him

reconcile with Emily, without giving us

even the slightest explanation.

Diabetes is no reason.

The Blaine we were introduced to

23 years before, would never have

taken a slut back.

Having gotten rid of two more sluts,

in these 23 years, doesn't soften

him up on cheating sluts now does it?

So what happened?

Did he have a mental breakdown?

RR sees no reason to explain!

As I did enjoy reading the bigger part

of this story, I want to thank the writer

for that part.

3 out of 5 from me.

DominantYetServile22DominantYetServile22over 5 years ago
@ReedRichards

We've went round and round in the comments of quite a few stories, but I thought this was a very good, 5 star story, and I felt for her as much as for him. Well done.

To some of the other commenters, I have to ask why is this guy a "wimp"? They were divorced and he basically shunned her for almost a quarter century. He wen't through 2 more marriages. Any of you ran into a former partner 10, 15, 20 years later? You're both almost entirely different people than you were back in the day. He's not taking an unrepentant cheater back after a few weeks or months, he starting a new relationship with a woman who is damn near a stranger again. It's a fresh start. And the fact that she didn't date much or even seem to want to find someone to replace him as THE MAN in her life shows that she did suffer due to regret (which is very much a consequence) which has changed her mindset. I just don't see how them getting back together again after so long is a flash point with so many readers.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Interesting But Too Incredible

People change over twenty years. They develop different habits and ways of looking at things. Reconciling is just not going to happen.

For me the big irritating mistake was the abrupt ending which just dodged the issue. The little irritating mistake was using 'discretely' when you didn't mean it. Sometimes it seems that LW authors take pride in displaying their ignorance.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
@PostScriptor

I don't think that Fiddleheads was a Coon hound. but a Maine Coon CAT!. We had one, they're real teddy bears!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
English Writing 101?

This is a site for SEX stories; not high school writing class

WilCox49WilCox49over 5 years ago
Wow, what a lot of comments in five or six days!

I like a lot of your stories. Much of this one is well written, too. And I can't agree with those who complain that we didn't hear Blaine's view of things; after all, he had refused to have any contact with her. Which was understandable if not right.

But yes, the ending was too abrupt for the buildup. At least, we were entitled to see some of the dinner.

And I, too, was assuming Fiddlehead was a Maine Coon Cat, not a dog. We had one, and I've never heard of that dog breed. (Hmm. I just did a quick web search, and I still haven't.)

Sorry to add yet one more comment to the pile, with no helpful words except that yes, you do too often rush your endings, and this is a big case in point. And you've heard that over and over from lots of people.

Keep writing. I wish I could give this one more than 4 stars.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 5 years ago
Interesting

Although most of the story is a running narrative by Emily, dipping occasionally into interaction between the various characters, there was enough well-written content to feel sympathy for the situation Emily got herself into through her last big mistake. She almost got away with it. Why do cheaters feel they have to have one more for luck? Blaine's anguish is understandable too, after 22 years of marriage, he had rightful expectations that if he could control himself while away she could too; a betrayal during a time when he was not only far away but at personal risk himself in a volatile theatre, must've been a body blow. I am surprised, after marrying 3 sluts, that he was still prepared to date a known cheater, even if his daughter could vouch for her recent behaviour. I gave it 4* because of the abrupt ending, which could have carried a little more interaction than simply a smile on Blaine's sleeping face, that might have been wind in reaction to "fired chicken"....

weathermanksweathermanksover 5 years ago
Hopefull

Sin, separation, and reconciliation.Kind of sort of a happy ending and I thank you for that.

LoejtcLoejtcover 5 years ago
Why Not?

To be callous, Blaine's been catting around for over 20 years in sunny FL. Had two younger pussies to play with. We don't know if he was cheating as well as his toys. Gets a military retirement as well as his company retirement and had a good paying job to boot.

So now he has a repentant wife whose pined for him over 20+ years ready, willing and able to take care of all his needs.

So I ask you. Why Not?

GillotineGillotineover 5 years ago
Fired chicken

My employee wasn't doing his job properly so I fried him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Mheeeeeee, not ever! It‘s KAPUTT and still stinking. Fucking whore!

Nill

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
@Loejtc:

Damn straight. She fucked up, and she paid for a long time. He had his, and now he has the love of his life to take care of him in his old age. Sounds like he hit the jackpot.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Hate

Hate is all consuming. Better to let it go.

clarkgarbleclarkgarbleabout 5 years ago
Sounds like marrying Blaine was the mistake

All of his many wives cheated on him. Surely the problem is Blaine.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
id like to see a sequel

where she spends out of her own pocket for a weeding and he started bring hookers home to fuck in front of her once they are married and then when she files for divorce he forces the sale of her home and takes half of her retirement and gets spousal support as she hasnt yet retired

That or he admits when he wakes up that he doenst just have diabeties but HIV as well

danoctoberdanoctoberabout 5 years ago
Long time coming.

You only meet perhaps 1 or 2 people in your entire life that really get you. Understand you. When you wreck that kind of good, it's a tragdy.

*****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

Naming characters and animals after other writers on this site is pathetic, you're not the only writer that does it, but its just pathetic!

PowersworderPowersworderalmost 5 years ago

Blaine stirred and woke from a wonderful dream. Sleeping with his ex-wife had stirred up glorious memories of two decades fucking hot beach babes and cubana cuties in Florida. Emily wasn't in the same league as those gorgeous girls, but bedding the mercenary slut that had destroyed their family had never been about sex. Now diabetes had stopped him from chasing beautiful women, he realised he'd need someone to take care of him in his retirement.

"Let Mom look after you in your old age, Dad," Katie had told him, giving her doting father a hug. "She's got lots of money and never got over the divorce. I'll tell her you're moving back to town and she'll be begging you for another chance!"

Katie had always been a good girl; smart, loyal, loving... it was just tragic that Emily wasn't more like her daughter.

Blaine looked up at the woman who had committed to being his full-time carer. Emily gazed down at him with love in her eyes; she'd been desperate to get back together, just as Katie had said. He returned her smile, thinking how ironic it was that his ex-wife would now be spending the pension she'd stolen, to provide for him in his retirement. He'd been forced to pay the cheating bitch alimony for 3 years, but now she would be paying for him for the next 30.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
What a shit story!

His wife has an affair and she takes half of his pension like she earned it. He earned it by working overseas. All she did was cheat on him at home. What a slut! She couldn’t wait until he returned. She was lonely. Wasn’t he lonely too! Thus RACC is shit.

soul71soul71over 4 years ago

Stopped reading halfway through page one. So damn dry. Characters are two dimensional, there's no depth to any of them just what you see is what you get. Lame.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
WHY

What a Loving Daughter .. I wonder why She didn't tell Her Dad ..

desertdog43desertdog43about 4 years ago
I've said it before....

Special little hole in Hell for women who cheat on a vet in harm's way....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

For all my personal hardness, brought a little moisture to my eyes.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous