All Comments on 'A Short Story'

by Web_Spinner

Sort by:
  • 142 Comments
ChagrinedChagrinedalmost 14 years ago
I liked it

A good take on how marriages really are - how things get blown up , how we take out the days frustrations on the one person who is (or should be) in our corner daily.

Very good.

Socially_IneptSocially_Ineptalmost 14 years ago
Very nice.

I like this story. Both spouses having a bad day, and take their anger out on each other. A very lovely story.

DrPlutonDrPlutonalmost 14 years ago
Usually on this site, things turn out differently.

Thank God and Web_Spinner for realism and happy endings.

sexmatesexmatealmost 14 years ago
Excellent Realism Here!

I have been here a few times.

And it looks like you have too!

Thanks for writing!

BobNbobbiBobNbobbialmost 14 years ago
Been there

Anyone who was married for thirty-one years as I was knows this story or all of its brother and sister variations. It is good to be reminded a little about real life every once in a while. Thanks.

bruce22bruce22almost 14 years ago
Beautiful Photo of a Passing Moment

It happens and we are lucky that this not translate into violence or a third party does not intervene....

woodmanonewoodmanonealmost 14 years ago
Only because of some advice

have I mostly managed to avoid the events depicted in your excellent story. My wife and I have been married for 32 years; we've learned to walk away when tempers start to flare.

Better than 20 years ago, my wife and I both had bad days and started out just like your couple. My grandmother, who was living with us at the time, advised both of us to think before we spoke. She said, "Once you say it, you can't take it back. It's out there for all time."

Sound advice.

Your story rings with truth and realism. Thank you for the insight and the warning.

Well done and thanks for your hard work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
sometimes a loving wives story

is exactly that, a story about a loving wife, and in this case husband too. No adultery, swapping, or suchlike, just two people who had bad days and saw what they had before they lost it. Good work :)

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 14 years ago
Things that make you go HMMMM??...

...like were you spying on me and the honey last week??? This depicts the histrionics performed by our household all too frequently. But I'm not sure i could ever be like woody and bite my tongue. Sometimes it's good to go through the theatrics,I think.

Average_WriterAverage_Writeralmost 14 years ago
Married 20 years.

Had a few times like this, not as bad and neither of us have actually left the house. But still these things DO happen. one of the good things, if there are ever good things that comes out of these times is the make up sex/lovemaking afterwards.

Thank you for writing this story Webspinner.

Regards

AW

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioalmost 14 years ago
I was going to say the same as Anon

Been there, done that. Married 39 years! It's so nice to see a true, "loving partners" story in this section once in a while. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Nice Story

Thanks.

victoriangentvictoriangentalmost 14 years ago
Marriage

is probably the most stressful thing two people can enter into. If you do not have the type of love these two displayed, then you are probably in trouble. I know, I have 45 years of experience with lots of bumps in the road. With lots of understanding and love (both sides) we are where we are today. This was a nice, short fulfilling story. Thanks for your time and effort to entertain us.

RehnquistRehnquistalmost 14 years ago
Dialogue???

I've now read several stories by WebSpinner. I like the basic plots, but I hate the style of writing. In short, where's the dialogue? We read about husband's thoughts and descriptions, but they're not enough to really flesh out the story or the characters.

For example, hubby describes something wife said to make him snap. Okay, what the hell did she say? Then what incredibly hurtful thing did he say to make her, in turn, snap back?

Because there's no dialogue--just descriptive hints about the nature of the dialogue--we're all left guessing.

As such, one can't help but wonder whether dialogue here would have made the story far more satisfying. If we actually knew what she said to set him off, then perhaps it increases the tension in the story as to why he got so angry. If we'd known what he said to make her snap, then we'd wonder until the end whether she'd forgive his statements.

Without the dialogue, though, the story basically reads like this: "I had a really bad day. Everything was going wrong. Then I came home and my wonderful wife was bitchy, too. She finally said something that really pissed me off. Then I said something that pissed her off more. Then she went to her room. I felt bad. Then she stormed past me, suitcase in hand. I begged her to stay. She ignored me. She left, and I was really, really sad now. I went out to the swing in the back yard and thought about how sad I was. Then she came back, we kissed, and all was well again. The End."

Thus, while the author clearly has writing talent and plots well, I believe he would be well served by fleshing out his basic plots with descriptions and dialogues. As it is, the story reads more like an outline for a story, and I think his abilities are far better than the few tales I've read indicate.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpetealmost 14 years ago
Reinquist you don't read as much as you think....

...this guy can ride herd on dialogue when appropriate. The point in this story made just fine without dialogue.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichalmost 14 years ago
The story needs more background and interaction to make the story come alive

As I read this story, which is well managed and edited, it seemed as if I were reading a newspaper article. it's just a little cut and dried for my tastes in erotica.

Thanks for the read.

oldwayneoldwayneover 13 years ago
This author said more in a few paragraphs than most can say in many chapters.

His message was not lost on me and I have had nearly forty-seven years of marriage to draw from. Five Stars fom me.

WyldMTWyldMTover 13 years ago
The Reality of Marriage

OUTSTANDING! Everyone should be required to read this during prenuptual sessions. This is real life. Think before you speak. Give yourself time to cool off if you are angry prior to saying something you will regret. Look at what you have before running away or giving in to the temptations of straying. I almost threw it all away before I realized how good my life really is!

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Again Outstanding

Married for almost 30 years and you've hit it right on the button. Both partners get pissed occasionally but if they have any love for thier spouse they cool down, put thier pride away and realize that they need and want the other more than they need or want to fight. Great story!

GualterioGualterioalmost 13 years ago
Rehnquist comment

Rehnquist commented on the lack of dialogue in several of the stories he read. If I was an author on Lit, which I just don't have the talent to be ... I would pay attention to his advice.

He himself is an excellent author and when I come across his comments on other authors' stories, they are always well-mannered and intended to help and encourage.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 12 years ago
WTF! Why are my eyes emitting salty water???

Afterall it's just a dumb hokey story this webspinner bastard wrote .(that I'm giving 5 stars to.)

ParPlus10ParPlus10over 12 years ago
Dialog... why?

I read Rehnquist's comment about dialog and I couldn't disagree more. Rehnquist to be sure is a good author and I have liked most of his stories. But you can't force the same style into every story.

If you want to say that a particular story needs more dialog or development or whatever that's fine. But it's not appropriate to make a blanket statement about all stories. Especially when that analysis doesn't even apply here.

This short story was about thoughts and actions. It was to give us a brief look into their though process during their argument. In depth dialog would have changed the whole tone of the story and may have made it less effective.

Rehnquist writes long, sometimes very long and detailed stories. That is his formula for all of his stories and it works pretty well for him. But not here. In some ways this story show more creativity than some of Lits other authors do. This story is also different from most of Web Spinners stories. If they were all like this we probably wouldn't think he was much of the author. But this story is a nice change of pace.

As for dialog in some of the other authors stories, Rehnquist got it wrong there as well.

The other stories have just enough dialog for the authors story telling style to make them really good. I wonder if the Web_Spinner's handle says something about his style? He tells a story. Whenever there is interaction between characters, there is dialog and it's good.

So while I respect Rehnquist as an author, his comments here are wrong. I would put Powerball and Irish Eyes up against anything on this site.

And they would fare very well.

If this author disappoints me its because he has stopped writing great stories.

Thanks for you contributions and we would all appreciate it if you started writing again. I bet I'm not the only one to read some of your stories more than once.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
no need for dialogue

rehnquist feels like the overlord of LW because a legion of deranged and deluded sycophants voted his redundant stories to the top of the NY Times bestsellers list, or the loving wife hall of fame, one or the other. good work author.

roscovichroscovichover 12 years ago
Well said PPP.

Your comments are always insightful and to the point. This site need someone like you.

PultoyPultoyabout 12 years ago
Excellent

Thank you. Great read, good point.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
rehnquist comment?

it's laughable.....

Rehnquist's style is nearly unreadable

for me, even if I give it a try, a story coming from him is a waste of time

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 12 years ago
Wow

A loving marriage.

What the fuck is that?

tazz317tazz317almost 12 years ago
THESE THING ARE A TOO OFTEN OCCURENCE

one word shall suffice----COMMUNICATION TK U MLJ LV NV

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 11 years ago
Nice job

Quick - clean - real -

We all have those days that just suck beyond simple words - We ALL have to remember why we do any of what we do - it is to maintain a good life for ourselves and those we love most -

Leave the shit behind when you walk up to the reason you live and say hello -

ythebadgerythebadgerover 11 years ago
Excellent story

that could just as easily fit in ther romance section.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

Lovely!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Awwww...

Short, but very sweet :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
5*, but...

I dislike it when a writer tries to use the present tense while telling the story. And this story demonstrates the difficulty: it is told partially in the past tense, and then shifts into present tense for no really good reason. Just a thought...

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanover 10 years ago
short and sweet and cute

Just not sure why is is in LW rather than romance....

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

thank you, this atrue love story, people make mistakes, apologize, forgive each other, pick up the pieces and go on.

tae352001tae352001over 10 years ago
EXCELLENT STORY 5 STARS

FINALLY an author that writes reality... This is what you do in a marriage. Wow, awesome, I saved it, and my wife loved it too. sat down and had a tear for a while this story touch both of us. How often do couples have a bad day? Life is never perfect take the bad with the good. Remembering your vows, what they mean each word.

potsherdpotsherdabout 10 years ago
Particularly poignant and effective...

I really liked the change of tense in the last paragraph. It was particularly poignant and moving. Excellent story.

tazz317tazz317about 10 years ago
THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED

and usually does more often than not, especially when ego and conscience conflict, TK U MLJ LV NV

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 10 years ago
Nice

Just an hour in the life of a loving couple, who realize one little argument does not destroy a lifetime of love. Lesson learned.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Been there, done that

Been there, done that. It was so easy to let the slings and arrows from the outside world pollute the atmosphere of the home and the marriage; alas. Good story.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanover 9 years ago
great vignette of life

Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
BS

Bull Shit Story--A story for a cuck.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
ARE THEY ADULTS

or kids going steady.. TK U MLJ LV NV

LVGirlLVGirlalmost 9 years ago
Sweet

Isn't it always the case that we get caught up in our own misery and take it out on the ones we love? I think we've all been there.

javmor79javmor79almost 9 years ago
Excellent story

Only a person who has been in a relationship worth saving can understand this. Excellent short story.

sinsational83sinsational83over 8 years ago
GOOD JOB

SHORT and SWEET this was actually a pretty good story and more to the fact of actuality. ya did good with this. Because this is something that could really happen. Sounds like something that happened to you. I am glad that he two people involved in this grew up and realized what happened and made up. Again GOOD JOB.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 8 years ago

Thanks for the offering.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Fairy tale stuff

And highly unlikely. The reality? She drove to her parents. They sympathized with their little girl, Daddy hired her an attorney and 6 months later the divorce was done.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 8 years ago
@fairy tale stuff

Are you crazy? This tale is more realistic than most. Read it again.

sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
Good One

Two human beings with typical human weaknesses. Fortunately, neither one did anything too selfish or stupid before they came to their senses.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Some of the best stories on LIT

It's been years but the return of such a talent would be nice.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
I Like Stories With Good Endings But

This reads like an 8th grade student wrote it. Sorry. 3 stars.

ErotFanErotFanover 7 years ago
Ha ha

The comments have devloved into a squable among authors.

Guys! "No use arguing aboutpreferances."

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Mate

Mate this story killed me awful awful awful. But at least you have other stories where I'm very happy read

***

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Been there

Thank you for this story. Brings up some memories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
GREAT Short!

What a great little story about the importance of not letting the little things get in the way of your love and marriage! It's letting the little things build up that destroys most marriages, due to the lack of communication that is usually behind the little things that bug us about each other. Of course the ability to ignore the little things all together and be patient with each other is an even better solution!

bworth1943bworth1943about 7 years ago
fantasy guy

It happened to me and my wife, though we split for a week. That was 45 years ago.

Life is good to us.

boatbummboatbummabout 7 years ago
Nice Little Flash!

No deep character development needed -- just actions, reactions, and emotions.

Great Job, thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Your One of the few Good Guys

A very touching relief tale in such a cynical world. Please continue.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333almost 7 years ago

Thanks for the offering.

etchiboyetchiboyover 6 years ago
Yeah, make-up sex...

... hard to beat - make-up sex!

York1234York1234about 6 years ago
count to 10..

..or even to 20 before saying anything to your loving partner when you angry and upset.....you might regret it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
?

shame unable to double stars. slap hapy papy #9

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
crying

Too much crying.#2D

jackh1962jackh1962about 6 years ago

You have to wonder if anon of 2-23 has lost anything more important than a set of keys with that comment.This storyline would almost be as bad as if one or the other had died.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
NOT POSSIBLE...

..in a story shorter than one page to build high enough and then have resolution so as to merit 5 stars.

This story did the impossible.

Paul in Oklahoma

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
Beautiful

Short, succinct, and perfect. Thank you.

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxabout 5 years ago
So Very True Among Marrieds

My wife and I were married for 44yrs. We had several of these kind of misunderstandings in our marriage. Her parents lived in the same town so after the cool off and many phone calls we would meld back into each others arms and use our mistakes as life lessons. Thanks so much for the truth and a great short story. Everything was there for a complete story of how real life goes on.

sirelcsirelcabout 5 years ago
Wrong category!

Very nice and shockingly short story.

However it doesn't deal with either party cheating!

In the order I read them, this is one of the last of your stories. I'm not too much a fan of the category. I was prepared not to like it and found myself liking it. When I read the story I was surprised. Very much like what happens in life, and these idiots got lucky. Fortunately they realized it, if almost too late. So like real life.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
The worst feeling in the world.

Watching your marriage slipping away and not doing enough to stop it. Years of regret follow and never goes away. These two were lucky.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Re: 26thNC

Can't add anything else, just 26thNC. Signed: BTW

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Bad day and they go off that much?

Never had bad days before

What happened then

26thNC26thNCabout 4 years ago
Again

One that ended so much better than it started.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsalmost 4 years ago
That works!

Lovely and very realistic. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
You weren't kidding with the title

That was short.

If you want to add some humor to it, just have her turn the car around and race back to apologize, only to accidentally run him over on the lawn in her haste, Leslie Nielsen style. Dunno about anyone else, but I'd laugh.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
YES

Sweet little story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

after 43 years to gather we had that happen a time or too

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 3 years ago

Yes, sometimes life gets in the way and we react without thinking how it will be received. Fortunately your couple realized it before it was fatal.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Almost worked

but for the rush to have 'make-up' sex.

It would have been more believable if they had talked about what went wrong first then slipped off to the bedroom.

Evah_Rheddy

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 3 years ago
I liked it.

It's nice to read a "normal" story about a normal couple.

ProfesseurXProfesseurXover 3 years ago

Well, in 32 years of marriage, I can't say it never happened to me. Make-up sex heals many wounds.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

quick and dirty, been there done that arguments over who knows what no understanding, leave for a weak or so then she says come back home and I did, it happens all over again maybe three times. I still don't understand. The marriage lasted 40m years before she passed and it's hard living without her, what can say? True story real life. You fight you makeup you get on with your life. We are emotional creatures. This story was more real than anyone would think. Keep writin'

AbctoyAbctoyalmost 3 years ago

Good short and to the point Loving Wife story.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 3 years ago

Damn

Actually love wins. How often does that happen?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Sweet story.

SarahwithloveSarahwithloveover 2 years ago

I think about all the things I have said in anger; even worse, my angry thoughts that were never uttered. Love conquers all.

I will be reading more of your work. 5 happy stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

And they raised unicorns with rainbows coming out of their butts!

SignedBTWSignedBTWover 2 years ago

Just Don't Tell Me

That some twit commented that this was in the wrong category. The definition goes "...& more." This was written by someone who has to have lived that day themselves at least once. *****'s Signed: BTW

MarkT63MarkT63over 2 years ago

Glad she is a true LW, who did NOT cheat!!!

Bear1961caBear1961caover 2 years ago

This is definitely the nicest story I have found On Literotica! Well done!

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

How can anyone, even the whorewife lovers, not appreciate this story?

muskyboymuskyboyover 2 years ago

Great short story, really refreshing

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Enjoyed this very much. What I wouldn't give to be the one who ALWAYS thinks before he speaks. Glad they're together.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

So...

Love in the, perforce, once-great US of depraved A is poignant as long as it's all carnal.

Notice how the man, immediately upon recognizing a couple of hints of reconciliation from "his" woman, picked her up & instantly hurried off up to the fuckroom/bedroom, sans even considering how much more beneficial it would be were they to commence the revived marriage by sharing a tender conversation of 2 souls hitherto torn asunder over trivialities, some precious moments of sensible discussions of the whys & hows of meriting a reconciliation, of why the duet had a 'much ado over naught' experience... of realizing how much more the "Power of Words" must take precedence over the "Power of the Flesh" in order for a lengthy indomitable sort of conjugally blissful living to ensue.

Ergo, the contemporary American is all flesh, no spirit. Live and hunt by the flesh, and nowadays they die by the flesh, poor silly things, lighting up the charts on worldometer.com's Covid section via their oh so "americana", read depraved and dystopic, lives.

One day'll dawn when there'll be these stories, women-centric sort, bereft of the immediacy of placing men's needs above all else; but of course Literotica would rather see its twilight time before a bastion of female narratives takes over.

fredbrownfredbrownover 2 years ago

The outline looks promising, when are you going to write the story?

goodshoes2goodshoes2over 2 years ago

Has anybody out there had a day (or days) like that?? My wife and I have had a couple, but luckily, neither one of us left the house. After an hour or so, we each looked at each other, laughed, and had a darn enjoyable evening.

As the saying goes, "stuff happens".

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Well

I questioned for a moment why this story is in the Loving Wives category. But, who cares? It's a wonderful, heartwarming story.

That being said, it's an easy Red H if posted in the Romance category. Regardless, full marks from me.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Definitely a five star rating 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous