A Welders Tale Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Who do you work for now?" Bert stayed where he was making no move to pick up the plates I laid on the bench.

"Who I work for is no one's business but mine. Now will you please leave?"

"David the people I work for can be very persuasive!" Bert took a step forward, not in a threatening way just to make a point.

"Mr. Andrews, we are done here, take your plates or don't. But you are leaving if I have to drag your ass out by your ears!" Now I moved forward.

"Ok I am leaving, but first I would like to make a phone call." He held up his hand." May I use your phone?" he looked at the wall.

"Are you kidding me you come in here and threaten me and now you have the balls to ask to use my phone? What are you going to do call the goon squad to come break my knee caps?" I scowled at him.

"Look I know I have stepped over the line but it was necessary, if you let me use the phone I can clear this up in a few minutes.

"Is it a local call?"

"It is, you can dial it if you want?" I waved him to the phone.

Bert dialed the phone I walked back to clean up my machine, settle down and give him some privacy.

"Melissa, this is Bert is he in? Thanks! (pause) Chad, thanks for getting right to me.(pause) Yeah, I'm here now. (pause) He is everything you said he would be and more!(pause) I will, say could you talk to him a bit, I have a feeling he would not believe me, I think it's best if you tell him first.(pause)He is right here. David! Chad Clark would like to talk to you."

Mr. Clark and I talked for several minutes. Bert and I talked another hour. He took the plates and started out the door.

"Two and five!" He quipped.

"Sorry? Two and five what?"

"Two in this state, and five in the country! And that's two only if Sparky is in a good mood!" He winked as he turned to leave.

That is how I first met Bert.

The next two months every day or so someone would show up and drop off some broken down machine to weld. Tractors, lawn mowers, and backhoes the list goes on. I put a sign up, then lawn chairs, railings you name it, if it needed welding it showed up at my shop. What no one noticed is that most of it was hiding the real purpose, setting up the shop with the latest high tech welding equipment. The back of the shop was partitioned in such a way that it was virtually impossible to tell.

Soon I had so much junk I had to actually fix some of it to keep the neighbors from complaining. Sparky was too busy and too valuable to spare so he sent over a young trainee to help. Ex military like me he had the highest clearances. Every other day or so a delivery truck would show up with the day's project in a variety of boxes. Pete would prep the parts while I was out front and then I would weld them while he looked busy in front. When a batch was finished a rush job would show up and the parts would be packed with the real repair. The same vehicle never picked up more than once a month, it would show up making false runs just to keep everybody honest.

Chad started to show an interest, one night Robin asked me if he could help more.

"I don't want him to grow up to be a welder!" I protested.

"Honey, just because he learns to weld, doesn't mean he will be a welder for life. He just might like spending time with you. Besides having something to fall back on is never a bad thing. It might open some doors to other career paths. He could make some spending money, learn the value of a dollar, he will be driving soon. Besides what's wrong with a welder? I married one?

"Robin what if he doesn't want to do it? I don't want him to feel pressured into it!" I countered.

"Remember when you wanted him to decide if he should drop back a year? Well I think it is only fair if he does so again."

I was waiting in Mr. Clark's lobby when he opened the door and invited me in. We talked business for a few minutes, it was always a learning experience with him, and he had his finger on everything and nothing. Robert and Carol arrived, I realized he did nothing without their knowledge.

"Now David how can we help you?"

"Robin would like for our son Chad to start helping me at the shop."

"We are talking out front, part time I assume?" Mr. Clark asked. "All the better I say, you spend some time with the boy, he adds to the overall family business atmosphere.

"Oh yes out front for sure, it's just that, well he is a teenager." I tried to remind them. Robert seemed to catch on but Mr. Clark was not following along.

"I don't see the problem the back is locked at all times I hope?" He looked to see if he was the only one missing my point.

"Oh yes sir, it's just that at age they do surprise you, I mean I knew what I was getting for Christmas before the car door slammed when grandma brought it home. The problem is if I don't let him know it could be worse. I just I thought I should talk to you first."

"I appreciate that, well you know the reason we suggested this in the first place is how delicate this technology is. Setting up in a plant is a nightmare for security too many people to watch. At this point the company's exposure is just you and Peter, the rest is the military's problem. Robert is that ship still in calm waters?"

"Silky smooth, sir." I grinned.

"He will have to be brought in, David will have to sign for him. Carol?" Mr. Clark turned to her.

"He would not be allowed to work on our project. As long as he works out front I don't see a problem. Might just be better to tell him, seems he can keep a secret, besides take away the mystery and it just becomes another boring thing in his life." Carol suggested.

"There you go David, he is in. I suggest we not tell him for now, let's see if he even is interested in finding out. David you keep a close eye on it and use your best judgment, if you think it best to tell him do so and then we will bring him in. No sense complicating his life at this time, kids these days have enough to worry about." Mr. Clark said.

The next week Chad started work after school.

Pete started coming in an hour earlier so he could leave furthering the illusion for Chad to be there.

Early on it was apparent that his talents for welding were average. Chad's talent for mechanical repair was much better but what he was most interested in was machining. The kid could look at a broken part and within minutes set it up and start fixing or making a new part. He brought home books from the library, Robin even bought him some. I bought some equipment, the kid was a natural. Chad worked at the shop all during high school and the first two years of college. He even had his own customers that he did machine work for.

Blair had turned sixteen a couple of months ago and just finished her driver's training. The time I had been dreading all of these years has finally come. Blair would need to show produce a valid birth certificate to get her license. I called Robin into the kitchen and explained the situation, she took it better than I expected. After she had a chance to absorb what I told her she pulled me close and held me tight.

"What are you going to do?" Robin asked.

"I am going to tell her, it's time. Up until now I have waited to see if Kim would be part of her life but now that seems unlikely, I feel it is time she knows the truth." I replied firmly.

"When?"

"Tonight."

"What about Chad?"

"He should be here also, we are a family." I offered.I looked at her, Robin nodded in agreement.

"Tonight after dinner, it is. We will need to be strong this will not be easy for Blair or Chad." I said. I kissed Robin and held her a while longer.

Friday night dinner is usually something special and Robin decided to make it one of the dishes Blair liked most. After dinner when the chores in the kitchen had been finished I called everyone into the main room. Robin wanted to sit next to Blair but I preferred she sit with Chad. This was my responsibility and I did not want her to think I was hiding from her. There are situations in life that we all know when something is just not right, this was one of those times and the kids knew it. We all knew it.

"Blair I have something to tell you. It is something that I have not told anybody until today, and that was Robin just a few hours ago. The time has come that I tell you. First let me say it is something that is never easy to explain to someone how and why you have held a secret but I did. I did it alone and waited until now because I felt you are now old enough to try and understand my motives."

Blair looked at Robin, she could see the tears forming in her eyes. Blair looked at Chad and found he was just as clueless as she was. Looking back at me she found me holding a piece of paper. I handed it to her.

"You will need this to get your license." She smiled at the thought, but then realized that I was still serious. Confused she took the paper and looked at it.

"I don't understand......." Blair started to question before she saw what I had been dreading to tell her.

"I.........You're?" Looking at Robin she could now see the tears flowing down her cheeks. I looked at Chad he did not know who to look at or what to say.

"What is it sis? What's wrong?" Chad was searching for answers. I looked back at Blair she was in a fog. I reached over and pulled her close.

"It says that I am not her father!" There I said it!

The despicable deed was done now it was up to Blair and Chad as how they would handle it. I could feel Blair shaking in my arms as she started crying, the paper fell to the floor. Suddenly she started hitting me on my shoulders and arms.

"I hate you!" Blair screamed I let her back away slowly as her eyes shot laser beams at me.

"Blair honey, you can't mean that!" Robin was trying to calm her down.

"I do and I hate you too, you are not my mother and he is not my father!" She was screaming out of control. I expected something like this, just not this bad, still I remember back to my childhood and the feelings I had. It was time to end this part of the situation right now. She could attack me all she wanted but Chad and Robin were off limits.

I reached for her and pulled her to me, throwing her over my knees I smacked her ass seven or eight times real hard. Blair was hurting physically now as well as mentally but I needed her to know there were limits to her rebellion. I pulled her up to face me just inches from my face.

"You can say anything to me without retribution, but YOU will not disrespect Robin or Chad from this day forward. Robin has shown you nothing but love and affection. I understand you are upset, do you hear me?" I asked not needing an answer. "I UNDERSTAND, but you will not use the word hate to Robin again in this house. You can say you are mad at her or do not want to talk to her but never will you say hate. Are we clear?" I must have made an impression on her as she nodded slowly.

"Good. Normally I would not let you be alone at a time like this but for now I think it is best you go up to your room. You think about how you want this to play out and when you are ready to talk I will be right here waiting for you. If it takes all night, all day, all weekend or all month. You and I do not leave this house until we both know where we stand with each other."

Blair looked to Robin and seeing the pain she was in whispered an apology. She looked to Chad realizing he too was in shock, Blair then went upstairs slowly, reaching back to rub her ass along the way. Chad picked up the paper Blair dropped it took him a few seconds before he too saw the missing name. The birth certificate listed mother as Kimberley Banks, the line for father was left blank!

Robin wanted to head up right away but I asked her to give Blair some space. About an hour later I let Chad go and check up on her. He returned after twenty minutes. Expecting I would grill him he seemed surprised when there were no questions. It was around ten when Robin headed up. I was surprised when she came down less than fifteen minutes later. Again I asked for no report, for now this was between me and her. Chad went to bed around eleven thirty Robin just after midnight.

It was around two in the morning when I heard footsteps on the stairs. Quietly she made her way down slowly looking around the corner to see if I was still up. Our eyes met, she hesitated, not sure whether she should stay or go. Turning my eyes from her I went back to my book. If she was stubborn I could be more so.

"Why didn't you tell me before now?"

I looked up at her as she approached. Her eyes were dry but she had obviously been crying. I held my hand out after setting down the book. Blair settled down beside me like she had so many times before. I put my arm around her and kissed the top of her head.

"Would it have made any difference? I had hoped your mother would be part of your life, I was going to let her tell you. Then I decided to wait until you were eighteen but then this came up. I felt you were mature enough and as ready as you could be." I spoke softly.

"You are not my father? Are you sure?" Her eyes begged for a different answer.

"I am sure, I was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in a submarine when you were conceived. You are however my adopted daughter, Kim did see to that. I am also your legal guardian, I have exclusive custody of you and Chad both. That was awarded at the divorce."

"What about Chad?"

"He is my biological son."

"Do you know my biological father?" She asked. Her eyes started to water again.

"I don't know, I never asked."

"Kim never told you?"

"I'm not sure if Kim knows for certain." This was the hardest part to tell Blair, not only did her mother abandon her she now knows whoever her father is may not even know he has a kid, or did he turn his back too?

"Why did you keep me?" Blair was at a low point, this I knew, how I answered this could be a deciding factor on how we move forward from here.

"Well if you think it is out of pity or charity you can forget that. I did it because I loved you then as much as I love you now. The first time I saw you I knew you were on this earth to be with me. It's a long story, suffice to say we needed each other then, I know I still do now. If you will have me?" I pulled her close again as she lowered her head to my chest crying again.

"I think it is time you head up to bed and get some sleep. We will have plenty of time to work this out. Just know this, whatever you decide I will support you as long as I feel it is in your best interest." I whispered.

I knew it would take some time but as a family we started to deal with the truth. The first few months not much changed around the Nichol's home. Blair got her driver's license and seemed to be taking her new found freedom well. Slowly things started to change. Robin noticed it first bringing it to my attention. I expected some drama and I hoped to nip this in the bud.

It had been over a year and a half since Blair learned I was not her biological father. Her dress was more provocative, her grooming was more edgy, and her attitude was more confrontational. I had chalked it up to a phase in her life looking to be more independent as well as the news. Robin listened to me but she knew I was too emotionally invested in Blair. As the old saying goes if you are a hammer all your problems look like nails. I tried several times to get through to Blair, I tried dangling the carrot and even threatening some punishment.

The part that hurt the most was how we seemed to have grown apart. Almost like clockwork Blair would curl up next to me in the large overstuffed chair after dinner. Together we would watch a show on TV about finances. She cared little I knew but it was just something we did together. Sometimes when she was gone or busy studying I would record it and we would watch it later. She usually fell asleep, I always carried her up to bed. Since the revelation came out she has all but avoided those times together.

Just after her eighteenth birthday Robin and Blair took off for the weekend with Rachel. It was for women only, I did not ask and Robin did not offer where they went and what they did.

I noticed the change the first day they came back. In less than a month I had my old daughter back, Blair became the perfect young lady (well maybe not perfect!) I had known before. There was a happiness about her, the chip on her shoulder was missing. I asked Robin what happened that weekend but all she would say is she and Blair came to an understanding.

Chad and Blair were both seniors and this was maybe the happiest time for us all. The following year they would begin college. That summer a surprise guest showed up. Blair's grandfather Ben called me. He explained that his wife Betty had passed away a months before and he hoped it would be alright if he stopped by. Other than the pictures I had sent each Christmas he had not seen the kids since we left the base ten years or more before. He spent a week with us before he left to see the country. Blair had many questions for him, all of them about her mother Kim and what Ben knew about her real father.

Unfortunately Ben knew less than I did about his daughter and had not heard from her since before Robin and I came to visit on our honeymoon. Several things Ben did do was to reassure Blair that if he ever heard from Kim he would let Blair know, the other was how lucky she was to have me as her "Pa".

The time he spent with us was special on both sides, he promised to return again, I promised to keep a spare room for him for as long as wanted. He and I hugged, when he left words could not adequately convey the respect we had for one another.

The result of Blair's meeting Ben was a decision that both hurt me and made me proud at the same time. When she turned eighteen Blair changed her last name back to Robinson. I will admit I was a bit disappointed but Robin helped me put it in perspective from Blair's point of view. Blair and I sat down and had a good talk about this and I supported her completely. Chad and I even spoke about it and after a few weeks even he came around.

My story is not over there is more to come. I just want to note that Robin and I have been together well over fifteen years, happily married (if not legally) for more than half. There was some local drama when I first moved in. For the most part we lived a quiet and peaceful life together. Our kids adjusted well, a fact I credit mostly to Robin and her experience as a teacher and her pleasing personality. We have many friends, and acquaintances, who knew nothing as far as our real relationship. Even the school Robin worked for was never a problem as far as we were aware. Our relatives obviously knew, not that we had many still alive that were close. Even Robin's in-laws, Rachel's parents were happy to have me in their life. I was their grandchild also, the only one since Rachel never had any children. I had never met them, it was awkward at first, but eventually we worked it out. I was their grandson and Robin was my wife plain and simple. Over time most accepted the situation and we continued to have frequent interaction with them. I have not included them in this story unless I felt it pertained to the main reason you are here reading this.

The time was coming when the kids would be on their own. Robin and I have worked hard to get where we are. Long hours, sacrifice, and like many parents some sleepless nights filled our time. Yet through it all we had a common purpose. Raising our children was the first. We loved each other completely that was easy, but we also liked and respected each other as well. I was always intrigued by Robin and how diverse she really was, not only as a person but as a woman. It seemed every time I thought I had her figured out she would find some way to let me knew there was still more to learn.