Afraid to Get Married

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As I entered the hallway I could see Madame Eloise coming down the stairs. She greeted me like you would an old friend. We did become good friends in the months I spent remodeling her place. As she came up to me she held out her hand and I kissed it as a proper greeting. I knew that was what she expected.

She asked me what she could do for me? She knew I didn't pay for the ladies. I mentioned that I was in love and was having a problem with my own jealousy and trust and wondered if she could talk with me and maybe help me with my problem.

She said, "Of course, but my advice isn't free. Are you willing to pay for it - the advice, I mean," as she smiled.

I told her of course but asked if we could meet right away? I did need the help as soon as possible. She led me into a large room which looked like a psychiatrist office and had me sit on the couch while she sat in a large chair next to me. I asked her if she was going to take notes and she said there was no need. She had a really great memory.

I started in by telling her how I met Candy and how much she meant to me and how I was afraid that she might find someone else. I told her about my family and all the divorces. She told me she could see where all the paranoia was coming from. She agreed with Candy that each person makes their own life. By spending time on other peoples past, I was hurting my own future. If I really believed she loved me like I had been saying, then I should act on it. There are no future guarantees in any marriage. All any of us can do was put our best foot forward and keep it there.

Madame Eloise said that it takes work to make a marriage work. It takes two people fully committed to it. They would each need to do whatever is necessary to do and help their partner out. Always and I mean always put your partner first before yourself. If both partners do that, then you will have a very happy relationship. She told me to stop worrying about the past or what might happen in the future. I should follow my heart and do what I know is right. Don't worry about what others think. Just put Candy first in my life and everything will work out fine.

I asked her what if it doesn't work out. What then?

She said, "You can't worry about the negatives. Think about the positives. If it doesn't work out, then it wasn't meant to be. But you can go through life with your head held high knowing you did your best. That's all anyone can do. By what you're telling me, this Candy girl sounds like Mrs. Right to me."

"Remember just follow your heart. Something about women that you should know, most but not all women like sex but on a scale of one to ten it's about a five where men consider it around an eight or nine. That means in a happy relationship the woman won't be looking for other partners. I think your Candy falls into that good category. She sounds like a special woman."

"Jim, something else I should mention to you. Don't tell her to talk dirty because you like it. That's what you tell a prostitute. If she talks dirty because she wants to, that's passion. Know the difference."

I thanked her for her time and gave a big hug and paid her for her services. Before I left she looked at me and said, "Jim! Tomorrow's Valentine's Day. Follow your heart."

She did tell me before I left that if I needed anything to call her. I walked out to my car and tried to think about what she was telling me. God, I won't even see her till Wednesday. What was I suppose to do?

That evening Candy called me, telling me how much she missed me even though it was only one day. She said they would be done with their case on Tuesday but wouldn't be back until Wednesday and she would miss not being with me for Valentine's Day. I told her how much I loved her and would make it up to her. I then got her room and phone number. I asked her for her bosses room number also. She gave it to me but wondered why I wanted it. I told her in case I wasn't able to reach her I could try his room in case they were in a meeting.

"Jim, honey I love you. There's nothing going on here."

"Candy, I believe you and will never question you again. I just wanted the number. I totally trust you and hope you totally trust me."

"I do trust you Jim. I really do. I'll call you tomorrow, sweetheart. I love you."

Then I hung up and started to put my plan together. I was going to leave work early tomorrow and go to Columbus and see my sweetheart. It had to be a surprise. I decided I was going to propose to her. To hell with everyone else. It was going to be Valentine's Day and that's a day for lovers. I was going to do what Madame Eloise said and give it my all.

I had about a two hour drive on Tuesday to get to Columbus. I went to the jewelers and picked out an engagement ring. I got cleaned up and headed to Columbus.

Candy had just gotten out of court. There was her boss, two other male lawyers and Melissa, another paralegal. The two women were rooming together. Harold, her boss told them that since they won their big case he wanted to take them all out for dinner before retiring for the night. Everyone agreed except for Candy. She said she thought she would call her boyfriend and retire early. Harold said, "Just dinner, Candy. I promise you'll enjoy it. You'll be back in plenty of time to call your boyfriend. What's his name? Jim, isn't it? He's a contractor?"

"Yes," Candy said, "I promised him I would call him tonight."

"I promise you'll be back in plenty of time." Without waiting for an okay, they all got into a taxi and headed for the swankiest restaurant in the city. As they all walked in, they couldn't believe what a beautiful restaurant Harold chose. As the Matre-d approached Harold told them they had a table reserved for six.

"Harold told them a friend of his made the reservations. You can't just walk in here and eat, it was always full and this was Valentines's day on top of it. The thought of Valentines day made Candy just a bit sad but she went along with the others. Bob asked if they were waiting for someone? Harold said, 'Of course he made our reservations. He should be here any minute."

I walked through the door past the Matre-d who knew why I was there and I walked up to Candy's table. Her back was to me as I approached her. I then moved in front of her with everyone looking at me. She looked up quickly and said, "Jim, what are you doing here."

Then in front of all her friends I asked her, "Candy, do you love me with all your heart and soul?"

She looked slightly embarrassed and looked at all the people around her who were just staring at her. Then she said, "Of course I love you but what are you doing here?"

I then knelt down on one knee and pulled out her ring and said, "Candy, on this Valentine's day, I am asking you to be my wife. Will you marry me?"

She started crying and said, "I thought you'd never ask. Of course I will marry you," as she reached over and kissed me.

Everyone at our table and at all the tables around us were applauding us. I got up and sat next to my future wife and said, "I love you, Candy Miller."

She replied, "I love you too, Jimmy Jones."

Candy looked at Harold with tears still in her eyes and said, "Did you know about this? Did you plan this?"

Harold told her that I had called him the night before and asked if he would work with me on getting this night set up. He said he had the easy part of getting everyone to the restaurant and I did the rest.

Candy asked me when I planned all this? I told her the truth, that I had planned it yesterday.

She asked, "How could you get reservations at this restaurant yesterday?"

I smiled and told her I had friends in high places. My friend in high places was Madame Eloise but they didn't need to know that.

The pressure was off. We all ordered dinner and had drinks. I told Candy she could drink all she wanted because she would be in my room tonight. She turned beet red as everyone laughed.

Well, That's how our engagement began. I proposed in front of her bosses. I wanted them to know that she was going to be my wife. I was going to follow through just like Madame Eloise told me. I was going to put everything I had into this marriage. Candy and I had agreed to love and honor each other, to always be truthful to one another and always keep the lines of communication open.

We think we are going to make it. It was our best Valentine's Day ever.

Thank you for reading my story Comments welcome DG Hear

12