All Comments on 'Against All Odds'

by Kojak01

Sort by:
  • 45 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
5 Stars.

Good read. Unfortunately more true to life than most people want. Still, I enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
An excellent story

Thank you very much for an interesting read, demanding a 5 * rating, and wow, a new author to follow.... kudos

Grimm1267Grimm1267over 4 years ago
Great Story!

I very much enjoyed your story. The only additional thing I would have preferred, would for it to have been longer. Your story also reminded me of one of my favorite authors over at Storiesonline. His name was Xalir and he wrote in a somewhat similar style which included overwhelming family betrayal, but sadly, he died awhile back. I hope to see more submissions from you in the future. Thanks, for your efforts!

dwoelfledwoelfleover 4 years ago
Very lovely journey story

Loved unfolding this. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thank you

I love finding author's who can write a very compelling story that pull you into the characters lives and is not just a wam bam sex story.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
Excellent story! 5*****

I greatly enjoyed that, if enjoy is the word. Awful girlfriend and family, but a great wife. I loved the way she jumped to his defense when the family started to blame him. That was very good!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
not sure he had enough therapy...

he is one damaged boy, and I am not sure he is closed to fixed

burningloveburningloveover 4 years ago
A Different Love Story

Thank you for writing this story. At first, I didn't know where I was traveling to, but soon discovered all would end well. Great writing and dialogue!

5 *****

BurningLove

PowersworderPowersworderover 4 years ago

What a great story!

His family were absolute monsters... they deserved the karmic fallout after the cruel way they'd treated George. I'm glad it had a happy ending for him and Betta.

clearedtofuckclearedtofuckover 4 years ago
Pretty neat

Every character in the story was broken. Be it a little or a lot there were a lot of damaged people. Unless I missed it, there were no 12" cocks or 48DDDD breasts. Just real people dealing with real life. Thanks for a good read.

arrowglassarrowglassover 4 years ago
a good job!

A really enjoyable read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
This could be really good

But George is a thoroughly unlikable jerk.

CumminginsiderherCumminginsiderherover 4 years ago
But what happened to the skank first girlfriend that banged his brother???

Also, George was an unlikeable of a main character as we will ever find. He seemed to have zero redeeming characteristics. Betta seemed to be the only somewhat likable character. I say somewhat because of her "butting into" his family life. Otherwise, it was a pretty good story.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
Absolutely

A helluva story. Thank you.

Anon, at least he had reason and at least he recovered. You on the other hand...

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Jerk?!

Raised by monsters, betrayed by someone he had taken a chance on and you're expecting him to be sweet and loveable? That he was able to function in society at all is remarkable.

Watching him change as he began to trust was fascinating. A great love story!!

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 4 years ago
Why did he stay?

Well written, great storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Very well done!

This is first rate storytelling. Congratulations! Nice twists and turns leading to a fulfilling ending, this is what keeps me reading thee amateur tales. Every once in a while you run across a gem.

R.

Privates1stClassPrivates1stClassover 4 years ago
Even though the odds were millions to one...

a sperm fertilized Betta's egg and she became pregnant. George should have bought a lottery ticket when he found out.

Great story by the way.

avidreader123avidreader123over 4 years ago
Great story

I would have liked to hear how the slut ex-girlfriend turned out. Hope she had a miserable life too.

Kojak01Kojak01over 4 years agoAuthor
Concerning Lara

Hi everybody,

thanks a lot for all your feedback.

There have been several remarks, both public and private, concerning Lara and I would like to address them.

First of all, she's not as bad as she comes across. She was a bit nerdy and when handsome and sweet-talking Andrew started to seduce her, she was overwhelmed. Of course, she cheated on George and deserved to be dumped but she's almost as much a victim as George. She really loved George but got confused.

In my extended notes, she ended her relationship with Andrew immediately after George left and I never really thought about what happened to her after that. If I had to come up with something, I would make sure that she learned from the experience and never repeated that mistake. She'd occasionally see George mentioned in an article and wished him all the best while taking the opportunity to tell and show her husband how much she loved him.

SraulersSraulersover 4 years ago
Nice work

You have a talent for weaving words together to craft a story, and this was a good one. Nice job on character development, though most of the characters left a bit to be desired.

As others have mentioned, even the protagonist of the story, George, was a very unlikeable sort, even given the circumstances of his upbringing and his girlfriend’s cheating. Lara may have been a bit of a victim of George’s brother, but her statement that her cheating was an accident was a bald-faced lie. People don’t cheat due to confusion, they cheat because they value themselves more than anyone else and think they will get away with it. She wanted the Adonis no matter what, so I don’t believe she can claim to have ever loved George. He was okay until someone “better” came along. Betta was the only truly redeeming character in the story.

Rallen86Rallen86almost 4 years ago
Another winner

You’re one of my favourite writers on the site. Though I would disagree with you that Lara truly loved George. I could understand making one mistake but cheating on him for at least 6 months suggests she didn’t love him. Also they would have been together long enough for her to have seen how his family treated him so she would have known Andrew’s true character and should have defended George, not been seduced by Andrew in the parents house. I also imagine that Andrew would have been disparaging of George to Lara and not only didn’t she defend him, she kept seeing Andrew. Can’t see any love there.

I feel that some of the commenters are being harsh on George. Raised by parents who never showed any love for him, tormented by his brother who also didn’t allow anyone else to be his friend so he grew up extremely lonely, finding out that the girl who took his virginity only did it because he was considered the biggest loser at his university, betrayed by the woman he loved with the people who were supposed to have his back, it’s no wonder he had such bad trust issues. It’s amazing he turned out as well as he did, remember he didn’t hesitate to take Betta in after she was dumped.

Another very enjoyable read. 5 stars..

tazz317tazz317almost 4 years ago
ODDS. ARE WHAT KEEPS LIFE EVOLVING AND STUPID PEOPLE BEING STUPID

odds of having individuals on an even keel despite their psyche being negative due to environmental upbringing. TK U MLJ LV NV

NewOldGuy77NewOldGuy77over 3 years ago

Very sweet. 5 stars.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 3 years ago

He should have told his parents and brother that Pat already knew about the affair and had known for six months. She was a few days from filing for divorce when he texted her.

Shut them down!

My mother made the same mistake this woman did and for the same reason. Unfortunately for she and I he chose to stay in touch like real family.

KeraedKeraedabout 3 years ago

I liked the story but at the same time I hated the main character. I’m abhor cheaters but the way he whines over every little thing makes me feel like he deserved it. Still giving it 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Agree with Keraed. I had trouble generating much sympathy for him after constant whining and, in particular, the way he treated Betta.

numbnutz49numbnutz49almost 3 years ago

Agree with some of the other comments about this story and the 'surprise' ending. The main character was the result of a seriously sick upbringing and low self esteem. Allowing him one final opportunity for redemption and maybe the 'happily ever after life' was a great ending for a mostly sad story. Yes, I gave it 5*.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

What an amazingly fucked up family!! No wonder he was so screwed up. It must have been like growing up in one of those miserable foster homes. How could an innocent child be treated in such a manner, throughout his life with them??! He didn't whine, he kept everything bottled up. His treatment of Betta was not nice but of course he felt resentment that she couldn't believe how " his family" had treated him. Well, she found out and he did get closure, on learning that he was not related to Andrew and his father. Left you irritated at times but a good story. 5*s.

Dlh143Dlh143over 2 years ago

He should have kicked his new girlfriend out when she made the decision to try and force him into contacting his disowned family. People who love someone will not manipulate them into scrap like that. 1 star.

ranec1ranec1over 2 years ago
Mean As!!

chur m8 awsum story

⭐⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

What moronic monsters the poor child George was forced to grow up amongst. The family's unbelievable thinking and justifications. is stunning in its idiocy! A child growing up with such treatment, would be expected to turn out bad. Self confidence. self esteem? What would encourage him to develop these traits? It's a wonder he had such great academic results and turned out not a complete fuckup! True , his treatment of Betta was not nice but he felt betrayed all over again! 5*s

HooHaa77HooHaa77over 2 years ago

Not a good story. The family's reasoning makes absolutely no sense. There was also no justification given for the infidelity that started everything in the first place. Plus the main character is so angry and hateful he poisons everything around him.

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 2 years ago

What a head game! Lord have mercy on any family that would treat an innocent child the way George was treated. It would have been nice to have cleared the air with his boss and friend after being such a shit to him. Sure was lots of heat and bitterness involved, but the ending was what counted.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

well, quite the maudlin melodrama. Would have been a FIVE until you mentioned your parents and brother an invitation.

Forgiving is one thing, but....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

she's a meddling bitch

WillmottWillmottalmost 2 years ago

Invitation was an error. Lacking in vengeance too. Reasonably good story.

6King6Kingalmost 2 years ago

Sorry, but even after everything that happened to him George is a dickhead. ⭐⭐⭐

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

You neglected to include Lara in the settling of his family ties.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

If you are curious to learn about the psychological damage that can all but destroy a child, this is a must read. It is 5+!

There is an age old question: Can an unloved and abused child ever recover enough to unselfishly love another?

A corollary question: Can true love ever undo a history of horrific abuse from birth to adulthood?

Fact: recovery for a child that does not properly bond with a loving parent for the first year of life, rarely recovers. My college, a PhD clinical psychologist was a specialist in that area.

6King6Kingover 1 year ago

Kojak01, as requested I read the story again. Honestly, I don't remember reading it the first time, sorry. I still think George was a serious dickhead. Mostly to himself though after reading again. He cost himself 10+ years of life. Yes his family is shit, and mostly hated him. That doesn't mean it's OK to foist that behavior on others you know that have done you no wrong. I might have welcomed that hatred in my childhood. My older sister is the ultimate squeaky wheel. I'm not sure my parents knew I existed until they had to pick me up at the police station for hanging an "Andrew type" neighbors bicycle on a power line in our subdivision. I welcomed the flow of expletives I received over the next couple weeks. It's a wonder I didn't turn to a life of crime to get more attention. But I also promised myself I'd never be that parent to my children and that asshole to my friends. George is just not a likeable MC, and it's also possible I couldn't take any more George and never finished the story. Sorry again. Hence the 3 stars. The happy ending has made me re-evaluate my rating. He finally realized they hated him because his mom was a slut and dad a wimp. Had a good woman, and a child and he was happy about it. Prefer a happy ending. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/2

P.S. That anon reply below looks suspiciously like the email you sent me!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
BUT FAMILY!!!

Fuck that noise. Is this Fast and Furious? Family can be absolutely fucking toxic and nobody has to put up with that just because "blood is thicker than water". THAT IS BULLSHIT. A lot of people are just too fucking DUMB to understand, though. Go tell a girl to forgive the brother who raped her because "he's family!"

And what the fuck does Betta gain from HIS fucked up family that lives in another state? What's the benefit? To give him more pain? Why the fuck is his family any of her business? Why can't she respect his decisions? Why does she know better than him? Isn't she betraying him to the people who have hurt him, basically taking their side against him? How can he trust the bitch afterwards?

And NO, the stupid bitch is NOT right, she went beside his back for some stupid reason the author decided made sense, even if it doesn't - at all. He is NOT the one that needs to be forgiven. But of course the author decided the "big reveal" at the end is a magic cure that heals all wounds... Dumb shit...

AngelRiderAngelRider12 months ago

6King clearly does not understand trauma

OvercriticalOvercritical5 months ago

I'm not sure that I find anyone in the story to be particularly appealing as a person. I need to have someone to root for while I'm reading a story and there just wasn't anyone. The details of the story weren't particularly interesting and I was sure that the overemphasis on everyone's inability to have a child would result in some far-fetched reason for a pregnancy to occur. Sure enough - a baby is in the oven. 2*

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

WOULD HAVE BEEN A FIVE IF HIS PARENTS WERE NOT INVITED...

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userKojak01@Kojak01
Hi everyone, just a small update on me. I'm still around but experience a massive writer's block. Mostly caused by work and life. Things are looking better, though. I feel like I could soon start on finishing one of the stories I've worked on.

SIMILAR Stories