All Comments on 'An American in Canada'

by ReedRichards

Sort by:
  • 61 Comments
penneydog55penneydog55over 5 years ago
I'm Cold Just Reading The Story

Number 1. thing that's going to nag me until the Alziemers cuts in.... Where was I.. (Ha)...Oh yeah!....What Happened to Linda's family and Jacks Unfaithful Wife...Too many loose ends?....You know this is good and it could be fantastic if you could let us know about their Spouse and Family.....5 Stars. ★★★★★WOOF!

chaoddicchaoddicover 5 years ago
Love it.

Great story. Well written

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Good as far as it went

I enjoyed your yarn. I've always thought the wilds of Canada would be a good place to disappear to if someone had that need. But I was disappointed that the story ended where it did. It would have been nice to follow their escapades and see if they made their plan work. Thanks for the effort.

PowersworderPowersworderover 5 years ago

I enjoyed it, but now I'm curious to find out what happened to the ex-wife and if the marriage plan succeeds! Any plans for a second chapter?

ribnitinribnitinover 5 years ago
22 Moose

Four decades ago I listened to two Cree Indians arguing about how to kill a moose with a 22. They concluded best to shoot it in the thigh, and let it bleed out. Then once said to the other "what do we know? We're miners, not hunters."

Thanks for reminding me of that cute conversation. I enjoyed this story and hope you write a sequel to it. I no longer have my 22.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
justice

luv the tales about good old justice, punishment served

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 5 years ago
Outstanding

Very nice read.

justplaincraigjustplaincraigover 5 years ago
Need closure

Nice but hopefully there is another part to this

AnnaValley11AnnaValley11over 5 years ago
Great start - looking forward to reading your next chapter

Loved it.

Neatly convaluted and almost believable.

Very happy to wait for the next part of the tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Solid 5*

Especially if the next chapter comes out.

This is up there with your other stories.

Thank you for the entertainment.

johnadpjohnadpover 5 years ago

Really liked the story. Two points though:

First, the real Duvalier obviously lived on that land for a long time, and he too must have gone to town for supplies semi-regularly. Wouldn't the small town folks realize pretty quick that the Duvalier changed overnight? At the bank, at the likely one grocery store, etc.

Second, they both have to trust that the other's story wasn't told in such a way to make themselves completely innocent and justified in their homicides. Would either or both be sleeping with their eyes open? Would he worry when she got her papers and didn't need him any longer? Would she worry when she got her papers and social security that he would off her for her social security benefits. She has to think it's at least somewhat fishy he happening on the real Duvalier as he was dying and the situation fit perfectly for what he needed. Secluded, set up cabin, pension money coming in, and on top of that the man conveniently dying on him, and ready to hand everything over to him for just the right to be buried on his own land. And it was very convenient that the real Duvalier didn't ask to be taken to the hospital to be treated, if there was a chance he could be saved, and didn't have any loved ones he wanted to give his land to or to notify.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 5 years ago
Thoughts

"Jodie made more money than I did" - She makes more money, yet spousal support unlikely? That has nothing to do with kids or houses - that's what child support and asset division is all about.

If this was planned as two (or more) parts, with Part 2 not close, then besides the usual complaint of not putting Ch 1 on this one, maybe it should have been held until Ch 2 was closer to being done, if not already complete?

26thNC26thNCover 5 years ago
RR

You are very good now and seem to get better with each post. I love a good story, with real characters and some good dialogue between them. Backstory is always helpful, and you did that very well. This.is so much better than the little cuck strokers we've had so much of lately. So many good stories this weekend makes it seem like Christmas. It's great that you are already writing chapter two, as you have set us up with a lot of questions for people we have come to care about. Please post in LW so we can easily find them. Thanks Reed , and Merry Christmas.

katibkatibover 5 years ago
,22 caliber & Moose

If you can, shoot it in the eye. Advice only for those facing starvation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

As usual, an engaging and interesting read, RR. Will there be a continuation?

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 5 years ago
Intriguing start

Lots of moving parts. Lots of potential variables. I look forward to more. Thanks.

frazodfrazodover 5 years ago
Wow

I liked this. Thank you for the story! A continuation would be nice, but not required. I think this is my favorite of all your writings.

Thanks!

Crusader235Crusader235over 5 years ago
Surely

Surely there's more to come for this excellent story. I mean there is allot more story here, and a bunch of lose ends. Gotta get that moose preserved, her moved in, survive the winter, and their first fuck! Five stars for this first part. Merry Christmas, and happy New Year!

catamitecatamiteover 5 years ago
I Fucking Love It

The wilds of the Acadian forests is a nice touch, modern day refugees; Gabriel and Evangeline. Keep the story going. Lovin' it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
A good plot idea, but kind of hokey.

If he is "legally" Claude Duvalier and has the skills of a commercial electrician, he has all the jobs and the money he needs. And with that money he doesn't get a fake ID for his intended wife from the USA, he gets it from some small central European country like Lithuania or Croatia or somewhere where the records are hard to trace or easily lost in some past war. Who's gonna care or check?

If they decide the relationship is not working they live apart until all citizen rights have been secured then they divorce. They both have to trust the other to keep their past crime a secret. And of course they will fall in love and have the love and respect they never had in their past marriages.

Until one day they get sloppy and somebody recognizes one of them, in person or from some photograph. Hopefully before that happens they have squirreled away resources and have a bug out plan. It would be sweet if he later finds out his ex wife has died, and now cannot testify against him. He can then claim self defense since the doctor grabbed a weapon and attacked him. The ex of course lied because she was a cheating whore, that's why he ran instead of staying to face the police. With a good lawyer it could be murky enough to get him off with involuntary man slaughter. Given his clean record since he might get little nor no sentence. Just a thought.

Will wait to rate after I see how you spin it. Hope its better than my idea.

TarnishedPennyTarnishedPennyover 5 years ago
Good start

Looking forward to more

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
nope

Well written schlock is still schlock. It's the details that sink the story.

Remember, Canada is a land of Über-liberalism, where white women (key qualifier) are believed without question and white men can even claim to be women to extort money with the legal system (web search for the story: jy wax balls). Also, Canada checks licenses from the US better than several States in the US do, especially the EDLs.

So for your story to center around a battered white French-Canadian woman on the lam for self-defense going to the US for a fake ID, it boggles the mind.

tazz317tazz317over 5 years ago
BABY ITS COLD OUTSIDE a political correct new theme

but in this case it is politically true, TK U MLJ LV NV

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 5 years ago
Excellent start

All the makings of a really good story here, especially as you have set it in 2010 and still have 8 years to work with for continuation. As the story stands, it is more a potential romance than an LW tale, because although his wife betrayed him a couple of times, she is very much a cameo character (other than her seduction scene), unless she figures more fully in future flashbacks. One slight reservation I had was that I felt that Claude/Jack had told his story too soon, being 'legal' I feel he could have teased her story out of her first rather than trust her with his confession.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsover 5 years agoAuthor
Spencer got it

He noted that the “present day” in this story was 2010, not 2018. Few states were RealID compliant then, which makes it easier for Claude to get Linda a fake ID in the US. Claude got his fake IDs in 1988, when things were easier still.

One commenter pointed out that, as an electrician, Jack could have lived well enough, but remember: he’s on the lam, and that changes your perspective, and he’s just staying away from everybody. It also means that he understands Linda’s problems.

It has been noted that I left Jodie’s continuing situation hanging, but she’s just an incidental character, and resolving that is meaningless as far as the story is concerned. The story is written first person; being on the lam, Jack wouldn’t have any knowledge as to what happened to Jodie.

A commenter noted that Jack’s impersonation of Claude should be noted by somebody when he went into town, but that assumes that he went into the same town. Fredericton New Brunswick exists, and it passes for a large city in that neck of the woods, but the real Claude could have picked up his supplies elsewhere.

The inspiration for this story is the off grid lifestyle, and I’m trying to convey that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

I really liked this story, I only wish there were more of them...thanks again

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Big things have small beginnings.

But great things have good ones. :)

An interesting premise.

dragonmann72dragonmann72over 5 years ago
Reed old buddy...

You wrote, 'I have a hydroelectric generator in the creek', I have to ask if this part of the story took place in 2010 and Claude was suppose to have been there off the grid since 1988 the only type of hydroelectric generator would have been a water wheel and it's size would have been very large. Linda would have had to have gotten there before the first snow and would have explored and found it. As far as a tale goes so far it has been entertaining.

rodryder44rodryder44over 5 years ago
I dunno....

Both have a murder on their hands; I don't see a happy ending.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyover 5 years ago
Wow

Hope we weren't meant to be on his side. Murder is murder. He had a loaded gun and shot someone, then made certain they could not get aid. Basically deserves life in prison.

KingBandorKingBandorover 5 years ago
Fact checking

I hate to tell you, but I-81 doesn't run through North Carolina. It goes from Western Virginia into Eastern Tennessee.

King Bandor

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
LOL

Reed Richards, huh?

Funny!

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchover 5 years ago
Thanks Reed, very good! As usual the kvetchers think they found some nits. Funny thing they were so busy nit picking they didn't notice they were lookingfor nots when they are the like.

Nice to see a different kind of love (?) Story.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 5 years ago
Interesting story.

For me they are less murderers

then drunks killing people in traffic.

Those victims are innocent,

cheaters are not.

Not saying that cheaters deserve death.

They just have less of my simpathy.

Fresh, interesting story.

Well worked and believable plot.

Thanks RR for a good one.

Top ratings from me.

OnethirdOnethirdover 5 years ago
Let it be

Jeez, people. All law and order and negativity. Two lonely cast-offs with a chance for a second life. Don’t overthink this. Very nice story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
liked it very much, nice read.

Its good to read a story with some substance even if a little far out. I read these stories for my own entertainment. Keep on keeping. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Good

I skipped it initially. Read it last. Happy that I did.

DogFuzzDogFuzzabout 5 years ago
Shucks!

I was really getting caught up in the story and then - bang - it’s over. Yeah, I get it but would have liked a second chapter. Thanks for sharing.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 5 years ago
Awesome

Let's have more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
You Could Smell The Fire N' Moose Steak :))

Great job, RR. Really had a genuine feel to it. Not sure about the ending but you sure could add a next chapter.

Sound_Abuse63Sound_Abuse63almost 5 years ago
Good Story

Well done 5 Stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
A Very Good Start

This was a very good story, as far as it went. And I really would like to see it go a little further.

oldwayneoldwayneabout 4 years ago
Five Stars!

Good while it lasted, but it could have been longer.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
The author is really dense when it comes to Canada!

They would never would get CPP or OAS payments! You have to prove that you are Canadian and have lived in Canada for at least 20 years. They are off the Canada social grid. They don’t pay taxes. They will be seen as American squatters! This author should take some Canadian history course if he wants to write anything further on Canada!

moralcompassmoralcompassalmost 4 years ago

To anonymous of three moths ago who said. “The author is really dense when it comes to Canada!”

You obviously didn’t understand the plot. Any application to the Canadian Government would have been as a Canadian citizen named Claude (AKA Jack an American wanted for murder) and his new American wife (AKA Linda a Canadian also wanted for murder but in Canada). According to the story Claude is already collecting some form of Canadian pension.

Tell me do you have to be an idiot to write a comment under the name of anonymous? Or perhaps it’s just all of the ones I read?

WargamerWargamerover 3 years ago

4 stars only because the story to my mind is incomplete. It could have gone a bit further to round things off.

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
What

What did he do for money all the years he was hiding,till he could get Claude's benefits?

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Nice story. Needs a little more completion. 5 Stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

I LIKE it!

LWlurker

Ocker53Ocker53almost 3 years ago

Nice story had me wishing it was a little longer⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Good start of a story, but it could stand to be longer.

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

I enjoyed this one all over again, and would still one a chapter 2.

NitpicNitpicalmost 2 years ago
Died

This story died a death with the lame ending.A current check on their former lives would have helped,learning what had happened with regard to their former spouses.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A great story,but needs to be finished. More please. LP

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Oh damn! Another story left unfinished. Haven’t you read the hundreds of reviews complaining about stories not being finished?

A 5 stars dropped to a 3 star rating.

Bill S.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What’s with all the complaints about unfinished story. It’s done! Do you need your food chewed for you as well?

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanover 1 year ago

interesting, good idea

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Five stars, even though you forgot to put "And they lived happily ever after" at the end. Another good ending is for the earth to be hit by a giant meteor, and everybody dies.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJover 1 year ago

Does she ever reconnect with her sons? I would never be able to dis-connect from my kids especially my grandkids.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

What a mess. She can NEVER reconnect with any element of her past; any slip and she gets deported, tried and prison for life. A hard but absolutely necessary choice.

Any interesting add on would be some commentary from his ex about why she cheated, her reaction to being discovered and her reaction to the shooting and then having husband disappear. Beyond that she can get dropped out of the story.

She absolutely wound not have survived even the first 10 days of -30 degree weather without his help. Dehydration, starvation anf slow hypothermia would finish her. So, he truly saved her life. Marriage is a good, and life saving plan; ultimately she will need medical care or die.

A sad story of two good people whose lives were destroyed by evil spouses and then a legal system that would have killed them both. Shooting the doc was an error. Beating the crap out of BOTH would be OK. Disappearing a good idea. While wanted, it wouldn't be for a capital crime and he might even get off with a psychiatric plea.

Good story thus far.

Cvh0601Cvh06014 months ago
Jodie's story

Have you ever thought of writing, or has anyone ever written Jodie's story??? Say from the time her 'paramour' is shot through at least a few years into her future??? The looks, the regrets, the inuendoes, from co-workers and family??? Did she move, change her name, change profession???

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous