All Comments on 'An Exaltation of Muse Ch. 01'

by A_Bierce

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
LVGirlLVGirlalmost 5 years ago
Outstanding!

Now as I understand it, Clio was the muse of history, Thalia was the muse of comedy and Urania was the muse of astronomy. What any of them have to do with the commenters who inhabit the Loving Wives section of Lit is beyond me, but I’m certain that it will all become clear. In the meantime I laughed through the whole story.

Thanks for sharing - looking forward to finding out where this goes.

HighpikeHighpikealmost 5 years ago
Bravo

So very well crafted, a so very true. Some of the anons are, indeed, miserable oiks.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
It must be a right (write?) of passage...

After a few stories published, authors somehow feel the need to break the fourth wall of the LW Literverse, and write a story about other authors, infamous commenters, and better still: Both! In a tongue and cheek, "I'm too cool for the rest of the room" sort of exercise, they must be enjoying the pat on the back of the "Oh, I see what you did there" peeps, whilst absolutely craving any troll response of "what the hell was that?" revealing that those readers prone to take things too literally are the actual targets on parodied display. It must be fun. Off the top of my head, I remember Jezzaz, doing this. It seems to have actually worked for him. I know there have been others. Conversely when attempted by Swinger Joe, the attempt seemingly failed,

Often, as a reader, I wonder about the clicks and inner circles here. Who can keep track of all the double and triple aliases employed; the split personas of authors who seem intent on fooling people who might not be paying enough intention to STYLISTIC cues, or other hints of rhetoric? It seems that we all must learn to laugh at ourselves if we ever hope to shake off that intrinsic need to take commentary too seriously?! Sure thing, I suppose.

Ambrose is clearly emerging as an intelligent and capable scribe. I guess this is his turn in accessing that LW inner circle. Mission: Make fun of commenters, and free yourself of the baggage they dump on you. Liberate your muse from the trolls, and transfer it over to THEM, the real power of LW: the inner KABAL of Authors who make the engines of this place run. Submitted for your approval, AB postures his position, and will they let him in? Will they reveal the secrets, and confer the benefit of exclusive membership in the LW author's hangout lounge/club?

To me, just an annoy commenter, and never an author, that is what this story was about.

Amiright?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Alrighty, then.

I think this is an inside joke between ABierce and ABierce. Hope you enjoyed it.

green117green117almost 5 years ago
re: anonymous #1

ummm.... no. You are not right.

Frankly, I thought the idea of idea of starting another pseudonym for actual writing was good, especially for the alluded to individual. Also, brassy blonds' dude has tried to branch out - the reader base can be rather non-responsive to invention. Using new pseudonyms kinda gets around all of that.

As for paranoid conspiracy theories about who runs things... paranoids are annoying gits, whether or not they are "right" - they will be so annoying that they generally become right - people become "really are out to get them".

And, if I'm not mistaken, our author here might actually be trying to get some of the commentariat to write. Quelle Fromage!

Green-something

A_BierceA_Biercealmost 5 years agoAuthor
Quelle fromage, indeed!

Thanks for getting it, Mr. Green-something. Anonymousse premiere couldn't have been wronger.

26thNC26thNCalmost 5 years ago
???

A little above my limited intelligence but well.put. Shamefully, I think you were talking to me. I would love to write, but as you see from my comments, I can barely construct a sentence.

KingBandorKingBandoralmost 5 years ago
What's a muse?

Ain't that some rock band from ten years ago? This story was too intellectual for me. I need words like jizz and cumbucket and sentences under 8.5 words. Wait. where is Bebop with his "Wrong Category" declaration? I am not sure because I didn't understand most of the big words in this, but I am pretty sure I did not read about any extra-marital sex.

KB

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
WTF?

Did you bother to proof read this mess? Or was this some type of joke? In either case it certainly held no entertainment value.

1 star

luedonluedonalmost 5 years ago
As with LVGirl

I laughed all the way through, hardly understood any of it, but thought it was brilliant. Sadly, at only one page, there could be no dispute about where the page breaks occurred.

I do hope that in subsequent chapters they depart the comfort of The Fleeting Muse and explore the other two pubs. They might meet some interesting authors in the Mitred Abbess and have a few experiences at the Slap and Tickle that take them out of their comfort zone.

In doing so, they might provide material for a clever author to write a story -- a story about the commentariat and the regulars who dwell there.

Lue

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
More please

Looking forward to chapter 2.

PiperHamlinPiperHamlinalmost 5 years ago
I can't wait to see where this goes

Consider me invested.

ribnitinribnitinalmost 5 years ago
didn't

Didn't do anything for me.

sorry.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyalmost 5 years ago
Not literate enough

The architecture lesson seemed longer than the story, but vastly easier to follow and understand.

green117green117over 4 years ago
I don't know - weren't you amused?

I suspect that Thalia must be our author, perhaps in drag (here on the internet, you never should assume such things....), whereas Urania twigged for me when (after guessing as to the muse-ee... the pony hint was clever...), I got a pic in my mind of her dress... Clio is tough - we all know who she is musing, but he is certainly old, and curmudgeonly, but historical? Not sure...

Mitred Abbess? Not sure yet - but http://holywhapping.blogspot.com/2006/02/of-mitres-mitred-abbesses-and-clerical.html was an interesting read...

Slap and tickle? but... this is supposed to be lit-erotica? Or perhaps the possibility of surprising moments?

Alcoholic beverages? Certainly the Muses can drink what they want - but personally the shade put on Guinness (note the n's) was a bit of a disappointment... certainly not everything they do is as good as the draught, but still the cans are better than much that is out there... but extra strength Gin suggests exactly how dire being a muse (and musing) might be...

But ... muse... and mews... I suspect here we will find if we try to dig too deeply into the meanings of it all we will find a old and well established layer of horseshit... which may be a warning to us all.

I await the next bit eagerly -

Green-something

(so text it is that you want...

....

I went in to my sons' room - it was dim, and he was sitting on the side of his bed, looking desolate...

"Everything is worthless, or just a dream in our mind - nothing matters...".

I was a bit taken aback - it was not what you would expect from a 11 year old guy...

"That idea has been around for a long time, it's called solipsism... people try for absolutes, and when they can't find them get depressed...

I rather like the way the Zen Buddhists dealt with it - when one of their students got in that mode, they would beat them with a stick until they admit that they would prefer to wake up from the bad dream they are having."

And then I started tickling him mercilessly - which we tended to do now and again. He writhed and flopped around, until he hit his hand on the dresser by the bed. He said: "Ouch!... We really have to keep from doing that..."

I said: "Yes, that would be a good thing..."

He looked at me for a moment, I smiled, and with a voice dripping with love he said: "Dad, I hate you".

And so we were done... but I do wonder, in his future, if there would be someone who would tickle him mercilessly when it was needed?

....

"But it is in the wrong category! It is not erotic! Where is the characterization, the story flow, conclusion, all the rest of the words, the conflict, the growth?!"

Yeah, that...)

A_BierceA_Bierceover 4 years agoAuthor
Interesting, what?

In the past fortnight or so, the story lost around a dozen votes, whilst the rating rose from 2.41 to 3.14(159?). Apparently I earned the disdain of some persistent folk.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
J Swift lives!

Brilliant, although the majority of the illiterates who comment on LW won’t get the joke.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous