All Comments on 'An Unexpected Reunion'

by SirAuthor

Sort by:
  • 9 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy11 months ago

You never know who you'll meet at the most opportune times!

5

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc11 months ago

Really enjoyed the story and you set up a nice rhythm of narrative and dialogue that helped set the mood for the storyline. Only criticism, and I made it on another story recently where kids were involved, is there was no mention of any other family members. Where's the "conversation" with his kids about a stepmother? Where did Claire's kids stand on their divorce? Plot lines like that would have added more depth to the storyline. 4.7*

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

I really liked how you started this story. It was clear and so easy to recognize the players. So often, there is so much introduced in the first few lines that the confusion makes my head spin.

As the story continues, maybe there could have been a bit more character development and some drama involving the ex-husband.

What do you think?

OvercriticalOvercritical11 months ago

A very enjoyable read. I liked all the characters and although I felt sorry for Emily, her fate was predestined. A neatly packaged plot although kind of too-good-to-be-true...but I'll take it. We all could use some good news now. 4* but if I had thought a bit more I would have gone 5*.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

The story feels rushed, especially in the beginning.

rnebularrnebular11 months ago

It's been mentioned already but where were the college age kids in all of this? Also, if the MC was the same age as Denise, he'd be 38ish (2 years after she passed). I don't remember specifically but the timing for ages seems a bit off for them having an "off to college" son. The couple both went to and graduated as architcts, worked at another company for a few years and then struck out on thier own. It may be the author didn't think it was germaine to the romance with Claire, but I still think that he would have had some contact with his son during the rest of the story. Mid-30's and having a college aged kid means they had him when they were super young, or the kid was a prodigy. In my humble opinion, might have been better to write them as a childless couple.

Aside from that, the core of the story was a nice little romance. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

The story was pretty good, but for an author who uses “author” in his pen name, this author makes a lot of grammatical mistakes. It would help to learn the it’s/its distinction, the your/you’re distinction, the compliment/complement distinction, etc. It’s all fairly simple and would decrease the distractions sprinkled throughout the story. Also, copacetic was misspelled, “road” was used when it should have been “rode” (she road me that way), and where the heck is Dear Valley? Homonym errors almost suggest that the story was dictated and speech-to-text translation went awry.

PurplefizzPurplefizz11 months ago

I can see from the comments that I wasn’t the only one to notice the gaping plot hole that was the College aged children they both had that should have been with them over the summer or at least been more than a by-line earlier in the story. I can live with geographical mistakes, or minor grammatical mistakes, but writing or editing out what for most people (especially Mothers) looms very large in their life is a serious mistake. 4⭐️ as I enjoyed it, but the kids glitch spoils it for me.

I’d advise any author writing about an area or subject you’re unfamiliar with to ask for a beta reader that is familiar with it, nothing irks a reader more than glaring inaccuracies about something they’re intimately familiar with, your star rating will thank you. Cheers, Ppfzz.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Emily got screwed,and not in a good way! Kind of left a sour taste in the story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSirAuthor@SirAuthor
I've had three different careers and many different jobs. I've been to over 30 countries and 49 of the 50 states, plus 3 U.S. territories. I know several languages and speak two. I've been married twice, once unsuccessfully, and once successfully - and currently. I love an...

SIMILAR Stories