All Comments on 'Arrogance is a Crime'

by JimBob44

Sort by:
  • 74 Comments
Rake456Rake456about 6 years ago

Not telling you what to do or anything, but I would really love it if you tried your hand at the romance category some more!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Looked readable to me

Spelling errors, but that's not unusual. His characters do got that Cajun dialect if that's what you mean.

rnebularrnebularabout 6 years ago
Localization is not grammar problems

I find it funny that so many seem to think this very Cajun oriented author, is submitting work with non-English grammar mistakes.

Anyway, I say it felt like a good TV episode of a cop drama. Figured it out about when I think you expected us to, and thought thaty was just about the right timing. Really enjoyed this Wed morning treat! 5*

deblackbusterdeblackbusterabout 6 years ago
Majority of these stories take place in Louisiana...

The author gets it captured very well. In the US different places got different accents. Boston accent, Brooklyn accent, different type of southern accents from Texan and Georgia and of course Cajun. I really like that JimBob does that. Gives the characters more character yeah? I love it. Calling it unreadable is dumb.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Your opening paragraph

Regarding not being invited to the mystery contest; You have grown into one of the best writers in this category. This isn’t about your talent, it’s about their lack of good judgement. Now I’ll go read this story.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 6 years ago
Nice!

All the clues were there, just putting together the pieces of the puzzle. Well done. Thanks for the story, Randi.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Local color

One of the reasons I like your stories so much is using the local dialect, it adds so much flavor to the story. I grew up in the South, now I'm living in California (may God have mercy on my soul) but I miss dialects, none of the natives have a accent...

texaschucktexaschuckabout 6 years ago

One of them law and order story's going here. Funny finding an aunts given name in in a story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Good story

With a limited number of suspects it figured it had to be someone other than the bitchy wife. Well played. And I would have flunked the quiz at the end even if I used the book. That was WAY too complicated. Thanks for the story.

Alberta  AlAlberta Alabout 6 years ago
Very Good

As usual, yours is the first story that I read.

It sucks that your story isn’t going to be in the invitational and those that aren’t on the lookout will miss it.

dinkymacdinkymacabout 6 years ago
Excellent!

Thanks for sharing a super story!

QuietlyLurkingQuietlyLurkingabout 6 years ago
I don't know whether JB44 is a Legend or not...

but his stories always entertain in a way that few authors on this site can match. I enjoyed this one very much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Metairie Lawn

Thank you for this wonderful story!

Your stories are a breath of fresh air in the stagnant cesspool that the loving wives section has turned into. I used to read two or three stories a day in this section, now it's two or three a week, tops.

Some fifty years ago I used to have a pen pal in Metairie Lawn, so I'm drawn to stories of this area. I wonder what happened after Katrina.

With friendly greetings from Greece, hoping you keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
No

Why do all these characters have to sound like they have the IQ of fence posts?

boatbummboatbummabout 6 years ago
Oh That Was Tasty, Yeah!

Thanks for another humorous slice of life from Acadiana! It had to be Tammy since the bitch Dianne was set up so well in the early going. I was a bit surprised at the over-the-top violence in the murders though.

Nicely drawn and quartered there, yeah!

MaFreplerMaFreplerabout 6 years ago
Good story

I think some of the writing needs tightening up. Probably didn't need the scene with the news story about the drag racer as it took away from the real action.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Life is messy

Life is messy.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 6 years ago
Thoughts

"Never hear anyone say 'God, she was a bitch! Glad she's gone,'" - LOL, my wife and I say that ALL the time!

I thought that it might have been Tammy. She sure hated Dianne, she loved John, and she had the opportunity to frame Dianne. She obviously had no problem with getting rid of his lovers, I wonder if the failed attack on Dominique was maybe deliberate, as Tammy had nothing against her, she was just additional evidence against Dianne.

In hindsight, the expert that said that the killer had to be 3 or 4 inches shorter than Dianne was spot on!

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 6 years ago
Comments

A lot of people didn't seem to get that it was dialect. I had no trouble understanding it, sometimes it is over done, but not here.

It does have to used wisely, otherwise it can take you out of the story. I was reading a story with a secondary character who stuttered, and when he spoke every o-th-th-th-er word w--w-w-as like th-th-th-is!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Another enjoyable read

I just wish you wrote more and faster.

Impo_64Impo_64about 6 years ago
A good story, but one question stays unanswered...

A good story, but one question stays unanswered...Will he live with a murderer in his house? 4*

dc6370dc6370about 6 years ago
While I can't stand cheaters...

Yes, she was a flaming bitch, and a cheater, but sending her to prison for multiple murders? A bit much. Now, our hero is living with a psychopath who is not afraid to repeatedly stab someone, to include stabbing someone through the skull? Sounds like anger management issues. My advice? Don't piss her off!

26thNC26thNCabout 6 years ago
Swamp people

Love me some dat JimBob44 story telling. I kinda thougt it might be Tammy, but you brought it out perfectly. Like that other man says, write more, more sooner.

Justgr8Justgr8about 6 years ago
Nice

Not a better storyteller on this site, thanks for the effort. 5*****

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 6 years ago
Oh, I forgot to pick up milk, I'll be right back

Just stay as you are Tammy, I'll just be a minute...Hello 911?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Well played and well told.

Thank you for your time and talent.

bayernpeter1bayernpeter1about 6 years ago
Bravo!!

A very amusing story well done!!!

tazz317tazz317about 6 years ago
TURNING MURDERS AND FRAMING OF THE INNOCENT

into a popularity contest......1st class jurisprudence///////HAHA...TK U MLJ LV NV

enjayemenjayemabout 6 years ago
My oh my

I did not see that end coming. So well done, and all in a couple dozen words, yeah!

bruce22bruce22about 6 years ago
Amusing Tale!??!

The big problem is what the good doctor will do next in this very delicate situation.

FD45FD45about 6 years ago
The first lesson is

If the fans hate a character, even if you love him, don't reuse the character.

This is the Jar Jar Binks Rule

FD45FD45about 6 years ago
The Second Lesson

If your fans love a character, don't overuse that character and make them into an over the top douchenozzle.

This is the Legolas Rule.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
umm, choose wisely

Woman #1: cold, self-centered, spoiled, narcissistic, arrogant, sexless

Woman #2: crazed, murdering, loopy, hot sex

Woman 1 can be handled and with little effort be somebody else's problem, BUT you will always wake up (even if it to shrill voice)

Woman 2 You sign you own death warrant, you just don't know when it will happen.

I know which one I would pick, but I've lost 3/4 of my hearing anyway

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
I love JimBob's stories

I spent most of my working life on oil platforms off the Louisiana coast. Despite being from the northern Rockies, I developed a real appreciation for my Cajun co-workers. JimBob captures their vernacular and attitudes towards life. I miss working down there, and JimBob brings back why I enjoyed my job so much.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 6 years ago
Good

job. Enjoyed it.

InsigniaInsigniaabout 6 years ago
Really nice job

If tightening up the dialogue. Its far easier to read than in some earluer works This was fun, intriguing and worthy of St. Paddy's Day without a doubt. The courtroom scenes blurred a bit as you worked the pace like the Theriit bros. But it still held together and I thank you big time, yeah.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
So I'm the shmuck...

I kinda complained that you weren't invited for the Mystery shindig, because though I have not read your Crescent City in The Rockies series, I felt I should voice my disdain for you being passed up/and/or looked over. All the love and respect to most of those authors, but I think you are one of the best authors on this site and at very least deserve to be acknowledged as the Legend you are and always will be. Like you mentioned and acknowledged you don't feel in the least bit slighted, I as fan, ignorant as I am did. Thank you for all your masterful work, and as inappropriate as they may sound would, I love a continuation on Yapping Dogs, I really want to know what becomes of Jared, Rochelle and their daughters. Thanks, much love from Texas, and sorry for making all them trees in Louisiana lean towards the west.

rightbankrightbankabout 6 years ago
Always a fun read

Entertaining and humourous.

Thanks

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyabout 6 years ago
I have to say an enjoyable reading time

A sincere Thank you for pointing out where I had seen the names of other characters from stories at the end. I really enjoy how you loosely tie them together. It makes your good stories really fascinating with the names and location from other stories. I hope you enjoy placing them in as much as I do reading and noticing! Granted this was a predictable story but still quality writing and storyline.

Please keep writing and I will keep reading!

enderlocke77enderlocke77about 6 years ago
sorry

liked ur others but this one couldnt get past the first page. guess i dont really like those 3rd party types. and the names good god man. every time i read that (the stupidest PI ever) name reynold reynolds made me want to bitch slap u.

enderlocke77enderlocke77about 6 years ago
sub cat

mystery is a sub cat compared to the cats this site has now, in other words there can be mystery in all those cats . so why make a mystery cat dont make sense. sorry to post this comment on ur story comments

hillcountrycowboyhillcountrycowboyabout 6 years ago
Find your inner Cajun, yeah

When I first found your stories I binge read them all. They are all enjoyable once the reader picks up the cadence and the rhythm. I know just enough web-toed Cajuns for it to make sense now heah when yo’ mind is right.

I did find the degree of violence over the top, and I hope the doc hauls ass like a crawfish running from a big boiling pot.

A few years ago I served on a Texas jury for an attempted murder case. The victim who was shot twice was an arrogant asshole. By the end of the two day trial we had so little sympathy for him although we had to find the defendant guilty, because he did shoot the victim twice, we recommended time served, with no additional time for the defendant. The judge sentenced the defendant to 6 months, which really pissed us jurors off, because the victim was an asshole who deserved to get shot. So if anyone doubts that personalities don’t come across and impact a jury’s judgement, trust me, it does. It reminds me of the old Texas joke about the sheriff arriving at the scene of a shootout, looking at the dead man, then looking at the witnesses, and asking, “Well, did he need killing?” For those snowflakes who don’t understand, if the witnesses agreed the dead guy was the bad guy, the sheriff wasn’t going to waste any time investigating. I really miss the old days. On the other hand, it was considered justified if a husband shot his wife and her lover if he caught them in bed together. That would really shorten a lot of the stories in this category! (For the record, I don’t believe people should shot for infidelity, but the guy should definitely get his ass whupped)

Thanks for your wonderful characters! I hope you continue to write.

Thanks,

HillCountryCowboy

hillcountrycowboyhillcountrycowboyabout 6 years ago
About Reynold Reynolds name...

For the commenters who are bothered about Reynold Reynolds name, I knew a Cajun named Richard Richard. Really. Pronounced Richard Ree’shard. We used to give him a hard time, saying he had to pick one, he could be Richard Richard or Ree’shard Ree’shard, but not both. Believe me, Louisiana is a different place!

HillCountryCowboy

cabbage01132cabbage01132about 6 years ago
5* again from yorkshire

for another tale from cajunshire.

always entertaining with plenty going on.

Dubby49Dubby49about 6 years ago

I'msurprised that a common theme in these 'mystery' stories is framing someone, admittedly unlikeable, for a crime they did not commit.

Would Dr Hebert live comfortably with his current squeeze knowing she had brutally murdered his lovers?

Did anyone check for fingerprints on the murder weapons?

Dubby49Dubby49about 6 years ago

I must read previous comments before offering my own as they turn out to be repetitions of previous comments. If it is so difficult to write an original comment, how much so to find an original theme.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 6 years ago
Interesting

Decent tale of murder and intrigue. Seems that everyone cheats and murders and an evil cheating wife went to prison just because.

Don't you just love a happy ending?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
he was... betrayed!

a fat cock smoked, a cornhole busted, betrayed!

BigCoreySKRBigCoreySKRalmost 6 years ago
Man

I've been reading your stories since 2009, and there's been some shit go down in them. But I don't think anything has ever made me as mad as Greg cheating on his wife with his ex.

Fucked me up.

chytownchytownalmost 6 years ago
Enjoyable Read***

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Grammar......

You write excellent stories that I really like to read. However, (I don't know if it's intentional) the way your characters speak makes them sound uneducated and at times hard to follow. Again, I enjoy your stories, but the grammar really detracts.

Keep writing because you have interesting plots for short stories. The story I give a 4.25 but grammar I have to say one. I like you though so I'll slap a five star on it for you (there isn't a 4.25 option). :)

enjayemenjayemalmost 6 years ago
Language

Ok, so I write a little. Writing a story in "argot " , slang, whatever is a really difficult task. It is hard not to let the language become the focus instead of the story. In this case, and all JB44 stuff Ive read, the language enhances the characters rather than detract from them. Difficult to do well. I tried... without much success.

Well done, great writing and I didnt see the end till, well, the end. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
LMAO

People revealing that they've never spent much time in Louisiana or have never heard couple of coon-ass folks talking. Well done my man. You was shitting in high cotton with this one.

YouamiYouamiover 5 years ago
Good Lord! Another gem!

JB44

I truly relished your story-telling skills in this beauty of a crime passionale murder mystery....the buggers should have given you an invite to that "mystery" contest. They missed out on a gem! Thankfully your readers didn't!

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago

Another great story about those fine coon-ass (or if you prefer, “Cajun”) people who live down in south Louisiana. I knew a guy named Hebert once. He moved up to the big city, worked up here maybe ten years. They finally got tired of big city life, packed up their stuff and moved back down to the bayou. He was an Hebert, she was a Landry. Good people.

shangoshangoabout 5 years ago
Ok, to be blunt

This is CRAP! He (and his child) will be living with a double murderer and an innocent goes to prison

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
No not crap

He will know now ,

THe theme was arrogance is a crime. A likeable person may have been found innocent.

etchiboyetchiboyabout 5 years ago
Awe man!

Now it’s up to us to decide if the good doctor reports Tammy?

I think he’d better, as a psychotic Tammy hanging around could go bat-shit crazy over him one day. Get jealous of any other girls that approach him. But... then Dianne gets out. Hmmm... dilemmas dilemmas.

5-stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Saw This One

coming, read too many, watched too many mysteries not to have figured out when the ME stated the murderer was inches shorter than Dianne who it was going to be. But, like Hitch did in some of his movies it could have been a red herring. Enjoyed the hell out of it regardless. Dianne didn't commit these murders but she sure as hell wasn't innocent. Now will the good doctor try to do something, after all he has no proof other than a possible slip of the tongue. Yeah, I meant to say that. Signed: BTW

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago

Again, very good mystery story. Kind of easy to figure out early, but the colorful characters kept it interesting.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
No offense

This was enjoyable and all, but for it to be a mystery, there has to be a mystery. If you can see it coming like a freight train the moment it leaves the terminal, then it isn't exactly a mystery when it runs you over. The moment the first girl was murdered, my first thought was "The eavesdropping Nanny". Obviously it couldn't have been the wife. If it was, then there would have been no mystery. The only other real characters were the doctor and the nanny. There was also the person texting Diane, but it was clear that was a person she was having an affair with, so no motive there. The doc was banging the two attractive women, so unless he was a serial killer, it wouldn't be him. That left the nanny. Unless it was an unseen, unnamed character, but that would have been terrible writing.

You should have included more characters, to create more suspicion. You can't have a murder mystery in a room with two people, when one of them is dead.

Despite the predictable nature of the story, it was well written and I still enjoyed it. You create very believable characters. Every time I read your stories, I find myself taking on their speech patterns for a while, hear? That's a sign of well written and believable characters. Thanks for the offering.

lancewmlancewmover 3 years ago
A great story in the making...

I took you at your word when you said in your author's note that you appreciate constructive comments. I love your story telling, so I'm taking some time to detail my suggestions.

Your wonderful story telling ability gets lost in way too many irrelevant characters. The newscast with the confusing interaction of the newscasters and the drag racing scene came out of left field. At the end of the story, your "*Author's Note:" explanation of where the character names came from spoke volumes about your character problems; they are like toys strewn around the floor of the story. All the unnecessary characters need to be picked up and placed in the toy box, helping to clean up the story.

The dialogue was great taken a single line at a time, but they do not always flow smoothly from one person to the next. For example:

"My ass is not fat. But, uh, have you looked at yours lately?" Dianne snapped.

"No, Mr. Greene, I really would not advise you put me on that stand," John said,

getting to his feet.

Moving from Dianne's statement, to John saying, "No, Mr. Green...." is jarring. Much better to write something like: John got to his feet, shaking his head at the attorney. "No, Mr. Green..."

Now to dialogue tags. You use way too many, decreasing the impact of the dialogue. For example, you go from Dr. Hebert spat, to Pricilla Pratt snapped, to John sneered, and finally, "'I'm not a slut like them,' Dianne snarled."

The dialogue itself or the actions of the characters should show the emotion without the dialogue tag, and only then to indicate who is speaking. Dianne's statement, "I'm not a slut like them," says it quite well without adding, "Dianne snarled."

The adage about writing fiction is key here: "show, don't tell."

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Ouch. Sometimes it is better NOT to know...

MarkT63MarkT63over 2 years ago

You are a very interesting writer. This was a great suspense...

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Me thinks that JimBob has a thing for fat women since the women in his stories tend to be fat or just a tad chubby.

mikeyjb51mikeyjb51about 2 years ago

5 out of 5 good stories sooooo far

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

Good story but no mystery at all it was obvious from the first murder who it was but u r a good writer

blackknight314blackknight314almost 2 years ago

Reynold Reynolds,,, Really? Good job, thanks for sharing your work!

TrambakTrambakover 1 year ago

Dianne is a crappy woman. But, given her lack of enthusiasm during sex, her overt adulterous nature is confusing.

Doctor husband is adulterous too.

Now Tammy! What's her motivation really?

I guess, a second part by JimBobb44 or someone else is needed.

Barst0hBoyBarst0hBoyover 1 year ago

I love your use of dialect. I don't see the problem with Reynold Reynold...I've known three people with double names, and I don't get out all that much.

muddman74muddman74about 1 year ago

@ blackknight314, not too unusual. I went to school with a David David. In Cajun country, the last name of David is pronounced dah-veed. So there is a true double name for you. As to the story, I give it a strong 4 stars.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbimanabout 1 year ago

very good, figured it was Tammy and the ME's stated the killer was 3" shorter than Diane clinched it. Thanks for a good story.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Yep Tammy killed both of them. How did she know of their existence? Did Diane let something slip about her investigation or leave something out? So now John gets the grand prize of an obsessed murderer. Lovely. Not. Also if Dianne is uninterested in sex, why all the girls nights out and gangbang and then seducing her first ex husband? The latter coukd be about arrogance and control, the former makes zero sense.

FluidswallowerFluidswallower4 months ago

I passed me a good time, yeah, readin' yer story, yeah!!!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJimBob44@JimBob44
All stories published on Literotica under the name JimBob44 are the sole property of the author. Permission is NOT granted to anyone to publish these works elsewhere.