Aspiring Novelist Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

That night instead of going to a movie with Billie as planned, Harry suggested they go straight to the restaurant because he had things to tell her. She listened to him sympathetically and then said, "You now appear over the shock. Yeah well it helped with that jerk McCrone also being a casualty. You see because of that provoked outburst I would have lost the respect of the board so I felt if I resigned dad would not be pushed to censor me. I had discussed inventory levels with him and he agreed that if you cut back consumer choice they'll try somewhere else to buy and he accepted my proposal that we slowly cut back on new vehicles and decline to accept trade-ins except from our A-class valued customers. However that louse McCrone wouldn't allow me to explain what my policy was to cope with the downturn and that has the look of a short-term hiccup as general economic signs look promising."

"We once you lost your cool you really had your back to the wall I guess. Who knows, what comes next might suit you better if you buy your own business."

"That's exactly my thinking but..."

He stopped and didn't continue.

"But what?"

"I'll have to ask mom and dad to back me because I'll require money, really big money. They'll probably buy my shares in the dealership but I'll want more than that."

Billie took a call and became very excited and said thanks.

"That was Jane at Under the Tree Publishing. She's working late and called me with fantastic news. Feedback on over the counter sales of 'Horsewoman', as opposed to copies printed, have reach 460,000 already. Oh god I've arrived... oh god I'm sorry to be gloating when..."

"No it's fine... I'm sorry happy for you and that's the truth."

"French champagne."

"Yeah why not."

Billie said she thought she could afford that.

"What will your royalties be on the sale of 460,000 books?"

"The payment system is fairly complex. The amount increases as the number of books sold increases. At a rough guess I would think I'll get a little over a million bucks because all sales are hardcover books."

"Jesus."

"Good eh?"

Billie ordered the champagne and said, "Back to our discussion. I can offer to bankroll you, with legal agreements of course. Perhaps the best way is for you to marry me."

"What?"

"Have you not heard of the institution called marriage?"

"Yes of course but..."

"Do you love me?"

"Not yet but I can say you're growing on me."

Billie sighed. "I'm in the same situation and I'm sorry for being over-eager. Then the best way to approach for us to set this up as a partnership."

"We should talk to a business attorney. Probably the most efficient way would be for me to buy the business and for you to loan me the money for an agreed amount and with you holding the company assets as security over your loan. I will have in excess of $1 million to put into the deal and I assume your loan charge would be less than a bank's charge because you don't have the overheads a bank would have, thereby making it economic sense to utilize your cheaper money."

"Yes I understand that. Will we live together?"

"Yes Billie, I'd really like that to happen but it will mean moving from Rapid City."

"That's fine, choose anywhere you wish."

"I'm required under my contract is give the company six week's notices."

"That's fine. It will allow you to get business advice and get your shares sold and to liquidate some of my investments to free money because my royalties are only paid quarterly but that's cool. I have almost $2 million invested because I made a killing on the sale of oil exploration shares I'd bought for at a low price."

"Miss Goldfingers eh?"

"Yeah sometimes we are lucky but I'm beginning to worry about this next book of mine. I didn't receive back from the publisher the enthusiastic feedback I'd expected. The response was somewhat muted. For example the editorial committee's opinion on what I've submitted so far is the book should sell fairly well. With 'Horsewoman' the editorial committee's was a rave, saying the book was expected to sell fantastically well."

"Well it's unreasonable to expect every book you write to be a winner. What's the theme of this new book?"

Billie detailed the theme.

"Well as I see it, and don't get cross with me Billie because this is just my opinion and I'm not into books, your 'Horsewoman' is uplifting because from what you told me, it sounded excited from go to whoa. In company this latest book has an omnipresent atmosphere of gloom and struggle with light at the end of the tunnel."

"Oh god."

"What?"

"If you think like that other people are likely to think like that."

"Then write uplifting books."

Billie frowned, "I though to could produce a good read from practically anything I chose to write about."

"Hmmm."

"What?"

"Some vehicle makers end up with a dud because they new model was out of step with their potential market. You books and your potential market would have a similar linkage don't you think?"

"Yeah right. My problem is I didn't think."

Walton filled their glasses to champagne level again. "What will you do now?"

"Proceed but take the outcome on the chin. My publisher will be okay providing costs are recovered through sales but they won't like me receiving a bad press."

Walton swept back his fringe. "Then while finishing this one prepare your new novel so you can get it on the market to shorten the gap between it and your dud... your book that didn't inspire buyers. We have to juggle something like they when we get a new model coming in when you still have supplies of the model being replaced to sell. It requires planning and smart marketing to maximize returns while ensuring you are not left with unsold vehicles than will have to virtually be thrown at consumers seeking a bargain."

"Your thinking is good for me Walton and I really need to talk to someone like this. I have been working too much in isolation and not having a soundboard or two."

Walton said she should join a book club.

"Who me? But I'm a published..."

"Unpublished aspirants will still be like-minded people. They will have opinions, perhaps excellent opinions. So you should think about coming off your high horse."

Billie was appalled. "Oh god, I've become a fiction writer snob. I never was like that."

"Well join a book club."

"As soon as we resettle, I promise."

Eight weeks later Billie had sent out her penultimate chapters and she and Walton had settled into their big rented apartment in a dormitory north shore suburb of Chicago, a fairly affluent community. Walton had visited the town three times in recent weeks and had completed negotiations to purchase a medium-sized sedan and SUV dealership subject to being approved to retain the two principal vehicle agencies.

As soon as Walton had proposed moving Billie had gone to Chicago to visit her older cousin who was an attorney. Brian's wife Diane was Billie's age and they had met three times at family weddings and had got on very well. Billie asked Brian to represent her in legal dealings with Walton but he referred her to a business law specialist in his firm. Billie said Chicago appeared all too large for a country girl like her and both Brian and Diane suggested she should look to settle north of the city and commute for business. When she returned home Walton said that made sense; it ought to cost less to buy a dealership in a suburb than in the heart of Chicago.

The apartment was lovely and had a great view of Lake Michigan although over the rooftop of a smaller apartment building. She and Walton were thrilled with the apartment and Brian and Diane came to the house warming dinner along with two couples Walton knew through being at college with the guys from his marketing classes. Billie plowed through her final chapters, got them away and then attacked the page proofs as soon as they arrived. She no longer loved this novel so was sure it would bomb.

Sales of Horsewoman had slowed but the prediction was they might make 1.5 million and in a couple of magazines she was referred to as a best-selling novelist.

Billie went to New York to be photographed for the back page as it was considered time to replace the existing photo on file taken five years ago. She also took part in discussions on the cover of 'Fading Days' and agreed with the art director that a picture in sepia of a small parade in located taken in an unidentified city somewhere in an American community in the 1930s was preferable to a drawing representing the fictitious remarkable Miss Claire Armstrong at the age of thirty-two.

At the marketing meeting when the numbers of the proposed print-runs were announced everyone waited for Billie to comment. She looked at Jocelyn Winter, the executive editor who was chairing the meeting in the eye and said, "My feeling is I haven't fired with 'Fading Days' as I did with 'Horsewoman' so I think those numbers could be sufficiently large to meet the market."

She thought that comment sounded mealy-mouthed for an author who liked to think she wrote precisely and clearly as well as colorfully and to her relief Jane the marketing manager smiled and said, "I'm pleased you find our marketing plan acceptable. People around here cow in terror when you cut loose."

"Who me?" Billie asked innocently because she had no idea was Jane was on about and then caught the sly smile and knew Jane was teasing her.

Other people around the table laughed as if Billie had delivered the latest big joke.

"Oh I have planned my rebound that I have already worked on from my new home in Chicago and have the proposal with me."

"Rebound? I'm delighted to hear you use that word Billie. You sound very positive about this," Jocelyn said. "Please tell us the outline now if you can."

"Yes, my pleasure..."

"Adele Leigh wants to be a dress designer but her domineering mother Dolores Leigh, a famous actress, wants Adele to study theater and find a career in film or stage. Adele revolts and that night Dolores and Adele's stepfather Stanley call her into the lounge and announced they can no longer tolerate the rising 18-year-old's rebellious ways and have decided not to pay for her to go to college. Stanley lays it on the line: 'we want you to withdraw from college, go find a job and leave this house as soon as you can. Adele gives her mother and stepfather an obscene finger gesture, packs bags and leaves, never to return to that house again. She goes to her grandmother who no longer speaks to Dolores and gran and granddad take Adele into their home."

"That's the introduction and time shifts forward fourteen years to commence Chapter 1. The output of dresses, gowns tops, jewelry, boots, handbags, scarves, belts and cosmetics crafted under the instructions and guidance of acclaimed young fashion designer Adele Leigh sell at boutiques and up-market department store counters throughout North America and Europe and are marketed under the Abandoned label. She has two short marriages before she meets and falls hopeless in love with Frenchman Victor Michaud, an internationally acclaimed ballroom dancer who immigrates to Chicago to become director of the Illinois Dance Instructor's Academy. The story takes the reader into the competitive and racy world of fashion design where espionage, corruption and runaway successes feature and contrast to the professionalism and grace and dedication of dance instructors seeking advanced tuition to internationally recognized academy diploma level. However at the academy an under-culture of casual sex, temper tantrums and jealousies are as rife as in the world of fashion. Victor rejects Adele as a close friend because of her appalling French accent and limit vocabulary whereas his English is near perfect. Incensed and ignoring his message of apology attached to a couriered pack of ten red roses, Adele stays out of his way and recruits a French-speaking interpreter to coach her for three hours a night, six nights a week until the tutor is satisfied that Adele is ready to be unleashed on to any Frenchman. Adele organizes her 'coming out' by having two of her influential friends organize a dinner party. A late-arriving guest sits next to Victor Michaud and his says in delight, "Oh Adele my dear friend."

"That ends the summary but of course a romance develops, Adele becomes pregnant to Michaud, they marry and the two highly-strung artists gradually find common ground and learn when to back off or walk away in the interest of avoiding hitting one another.

Everyone looked impressed.

"You have presented an appealing story line that was missing in 'Fading Days', the setting of which was rather too narrow," said Jocelyn. "In my opinion it has the potential to out-run 'Horsewoman'. When we finish here please go with Ellen. Ellen I want this new Billie Summers novel and I want it through our system pronto. Review the proposal and if it's to your satisfaction I want the contract with Billie signed before she leaves New York and Billie I want you to agree to a tight schedule. I want this new novel to bury all the negative thoughts surrounding 'Fading Days'."

Ellen asked, "What is your idea of a tight schedule Jocelyn?"

"Four weeks."

"Jesus," Billie said.

"Can you deliver on that Billie?"

"Yes and I admit to having the first four chapters in first draft."

"Knowing you I thought you'd be on the ball. How many chapters have you actually drafted?"

"Eleven."

"That's my girl Billie. Jane let's splash another twenty K on promoting "Fading Days'. Get some sample researching done ten days after it's published to find the main aged group that's buying in and why and then aim to market on those findings. I don't want Billie left with the legacy of a dud book as if it fails interviews will always bare their teeth and bring it up, and that won't be good for Billie's image and won't be good for us as her publisher."

Billie returned to Chicago with a copy of her new contract in her bag. She had grinned inwardly when lying she had eleven chapters drafted. They had been proofed and corrected ready for sending and she had a further six and a half chapters drafted. With some long hours at her keyboard she would probably finish in three weeks. At the outset she was so confident she'd get a contract from her publisher that she'd employed a professional researcher to find out how dance tutors were trained and what was the difference between being coached to teach and teaching dance students. That took two days of researching and a half-day to write it up for Billie.

That researcher had then spent four days finding out about fashion designing, marketing and how the industry worked in general. Billie had interviewed a clothing design school assistant professor about her work and details of the workload students faced and how the artistic side of students developed as they progressed through their years of study. Pauline the assistant professor became very interested in Billie's heroine Adele.

"Look we have a student who graduated from here three years ago. I think you should visit her in her studio in Dallas. Denise has the bubbling sort of personality that your Adele probably has been given. I'll call Denise this afternoon and if she's interested in talking to you I'll have her call you. I may as well admit I'm not a horsewoman but really enjoyed 'Horsewoman'. I'm sure Denise will have read the book because I recall her saying she's been a junior rodeo queen somewhere in Texas when she was young."

"Omigod."

Billie couldn't believe her luck. Denise called her that evening and two days later Billie went to Dallas overnight and had a very productive day with Denise and also with some of her senior design staff. That night Billie took Denise and Rick, her husband of six weeks for a very expensive dinner at a top French restaurant. On the strength of that goldmine of information Billie called Pauline the next day to thank her and to say hi on behalf of Denis.

"If you wish you could make a small donation to our field study fund."

"Thanks, a great idea," Billie said and minutes later made out a check for $1000 to the fund and mailed it to Pauline.

Thinking about all of that as the flight neared Chicago, Billie sighed and thought she couldn't remember anyone ever telling her, at university or since then, that being a fulltime author was a little like running a business. She suspected that as much time was spent preparing and running around in connection with the project than was spent actually writing the damn thing. Oh such didn't mean to say the damn thing. She loved her books... er... but 'Fading Days' would have to be described as fading love.

She wondered how Walton was getting on gathering the approvals to complete the purchase of the car yard, er dealership. They had completed the process to establish themselves as an investment partnership, each putting in $1.3 million for capital. Walton had formed a company to own the dealership when purchasing it and Billie was one of three outside directors. Walton's attorney would be chairman, and his accountant would join Billie as the other director. Walton would be managing-director and the company secretary would be the dealership's accountant the other director would be the director of sales and marketing.

Walton had arranged bank finance to complete the purchase and to provide working capital.

CHAPTER 8

Walton greeted Billie, beaming widely. "The company is ours, twenty-eight days from today."

Billie kissed him excitedly and she said let's go home from me to change and go out for some drinks and then dinner.

"Good ideal."

In the parking lot he pointed to a new blue Subaru and said, "La, dah-dah-dah."

"What, this isn't your rental?"

"No that's gone back to the hire firm. This is my current company car, a demonstrator actually. It's the new Outback 3.6R Premium model.

"It looks nice apart from that black stuff on the roof."

"That's for skis or kayaks and that sort of stuff."

"Well we don't have skis and that sort of stuff. I don't think a woman would be a car with black stuff on the top like that?"

"What?" Walton said sounding alarmed. "Who told you that?"

"No one did. It's just my opinion for what it's worth."

Looking serious he said, "Well climb in. It's an opinion worth looking into. Thanks." "Don't mention it. It looks quite refined inside. Oh god, my feet have gone blue."

"That's the mood lighting."

"God, what sort of idiots is this car designed for?"

"Guys like me. Well once I'm approved for the Buick agency I guess I can switch to a Buick demo."

"And so you should drive an American vehicle."

Walton appeared to having difficulty comprehending that. "But you drive a Japanese vehicle."

"But that's different."

"What is it different?"

"Because. May we talk about something else?"

"I've been told an Audi agency may be up for grabs in our area."

"You probably would be better going for a maker producing smaller, cheaper to buy and cheaper to run than Buicks and Subarus but I would suggest settle into the business before you splash big money securing and setting up for another agency."

"Yeah right. We need to get this right. But the month's end I'll know from brothers Alan and Richard how they run the business, how to avoid pitfalls and what their regular customers expect in service delivery... I mean what are they used to receiving. Keep customer service to the ultimate level can be expensive to maintain. We can go through the outfit tomorrow in detail if you wish. The tour we had with Alan was pretty cursory."

"No but perhaps at the weekend. I have to write and proof and correct like a busy bee this month to finish me next novel pretty damn quick. What will you be doing?"

"Fuck all I suppose."

"Walton."

"Um sorry. Not much I suppose."