Beauty Meets her Beast Ch. 07

Story Info
The Final Chapter.
9.2k words
4.78
37.2k
69

Part 7 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 03/01/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Adam of course came far too late to save Regina, and most of his home was in shambles as well. The sturdy stone walls held against the fire well enough, bearing black scorch marks and soot to tell the tale, but all the fine tapestries, the rugs, and the windows were ruined. Parts of the castle were spared, notably the greenhouse. With its glass walls, I would have thought it would be one of the very first to go, but the fire veered off in the opposite direction; whether it was the doing of the mad Mrs. Delvers or mere happenstance I did not know. The fire burnt itself out when it ran out of fuel.

I shall never forget the horror on Adam's face at seeing his ancestral home in flames. He'd come galloping up on Blitz, a man on horse - who I presumed was the doctor- close behind. Disbelief mingled with confusion as he sprang from Blitz and bounded to the doors of the Great Hall, only to turn back coughing as the smoke came spewing out. He ran around to a side door with the same result, the doctor and myself waiting at the front. He came charging back around to me and demanded to know what had happened.

"It was Mrs. Delvers," I said, my heart aching for his loss. "She was like a woman possessed! When she discovered Regina's body she went mad. She kept sobbing and she took up some wood from the fire and..." I gestured at the flames behind me. "I tried to get Regina out, please believe that. I tried to pull her to safety, away from the flames in case there was a chance the doctor could help. In case she wasn't - beyond help. But Mrs. Delvers, she came at me with her fire, she wouldn't let me near her! I tried, Adam, I tried so hard to help her." Tears sprang to my eyes and I immediately felt selfish, crying right then when Adam was the one who'd lost everything. He pulled me to him, in a rare tender gesture for him, kissing my forehead and patting my back. He barely looked at me though, his eyes were not to be torn from the fire.

The Great Hall was burning less fiercely now. Presumably the fire had consumed everything in that room already and was now beginning to die out. I thought with horror and revulsion of the corpses I knew must be inside. It didn't seem fair to Regina's unborn child to be denied the chance at life so abruptly. I wondered if Mrs. Delvers knew about the pregnancy. Surely she would have waited for the doctor, restrained her madness to give a child of Regina's a chance if she'd known? She'd seemed positive Regina was dead, but why would Adam have gone for the doctor if that was true? He must have seen some sign to indicate to him that she lived, for him to fly out in such haste. If I had told Mrs. Delvers that Regina was expecting, would it have made a difference? She seemed to have loved the lady more than herself even. Either way there was nothing I could do now, and knowing about the pregnancy or not, I could not hold myself responsible for the actions of Mrs. Delvers.

Adam continued to hold me as the flames burned, and I was grateful for the comfort he provided. I was sure later he would want a more detailed explanation of Mrs. Delvers' fire-setting, and I hoped that when the time came he would understand how hard I had tried to save Regina. If he could have seen the crazed look in Mrs. Delvers' eyes, he would have understood. No ordinary woman could have withstood the crazed strength she exerted in her madness. I could easily have lost my own life if I'd stayed any longer.

Adam left me then to go explore the perimeter of the castle and the damage done. The doctor retired to the stables where the other servants were huddled, alive but shaken. The smoke was coming out in white puffs rather than great black billows, a clear sign it was burning out. Adam wanted me to stay put, but I was curious about the damage myself and reluctant to leave him alone. Once he was out of sight, I followed him. I trailed far behind him, wanting to offer him comfort but at a loss as to what I could say. As I rounded a corner I saw the greenhouse, still intact, its roses as fresh and alive as ever. Adam was in front of it, staring at it. I knew now that the greenhouse represented Regina to him, and his mistake in falling for her and wedding her. It must seem very cruel to him that the greenhouse of all things should make it through the fire unscathed.

He screamed aloud, rushing at the greenhouse and hammering his fists against it. His wordless yell continued as he beat against the window until the panel shattered. I saw blood stream down his arm and my first instinct was to run to him and bind his wound. Something stopped me. I am not sure if it was the anger on his face or the violence in his actions as he hurled himself at the next panel of glass, but whatever it was made me slink under the cover of a nearby fir tree, where I wouldn't be seen. He yelled again, his pain raw and tangible in his scream. I knew the pain was not the cut on his arm, he probably hadn't even noticed that. The pain was for the loss of his home, for the gall of Mrs. Delvers and the sad conclusion that in some small measure Regina had won. His rage continued, and I kept still and hidden. He was a frightening creature sometimes, my lord. I did not think he would ever do me real harm, but our past encounters when he was angered had given me a taste of what I might expect, and I did not wish to part with my virginity on top of broken glass, outside in the sooty air.

Eventually he appeared to tire himself out, and slumped down against the wall. Should I go to him now? I decided it was better to wait. He might be ashamed at having me see him so. If his hatred of Regina was the basis of his ungentlemanly behavior with me, might he be able to let it go now? With no Regina and the greenhouse destroyed, maybe he could finally release the pent-up anger and bitterness he'd stowed away for so long. She would never run from him, never laugh at him or turn him down again, so perhaps he would see me just as I was: me. I would never be a cold woman like Regina, and I couldn't imagine turning Adam from his marital bed. I wished I could hold him and reassure him that she was gone, and would never give him trouble again.

My thoughts ran wild, and after a time Adam stood and continued his progress around the castle. I did not follow. Instead I turned and walked back to the front of Great Hall, where he expected me to wait. Although it felt terrible to think such things, the thought did spring to my mind that with Regina's death, there was no further obstacle to a marriage between Adam and myself, save for a proper period of mourning. He was even afforded escaping from the disgrace of divorce. I was ashamed to think such thoughts in the wake of such tragedy, but my heart still longed for Adam, and would long for him until he was mine. Perhaps he would not be interested in marriage now, with his home to repair and rebuild.

I was at a loss as to what to do, waiting for Adam outside. Things felt so unsettled between us now. Every time we came close to beginning our happy future, Regina had managed to thwart us. Could she do so again with her death? My heart was hopeful that this would change nothing between us, but my mind was carefully reminding it that Adam would have much to take care of, and that it was possible even he would view another obstacle as an ill omen for our marriage and call the whole thing off on that account alone. Fidgeting nervously, I awaited his return.

He strode around the far side of the building minutes later, his face somber. His hand was still stained red from the blood of his wound, but he paid it no mind. My heart broke for him, for everything that he had lost.

"Belle," he said when he reached me, "I fear this brings... difficulties to our marriage." I swallowed hard, a lump in my throat. A breeze ruffled my dress, and I shivered, the air feeling cold after the blaze of heat from the fire.

"I understand."

"I think it's best if for now you return home to your family. I'm afraid there will be much to take care of here, for a while. When Regina's body is discovered, there will be questions, and the castle itself will require extensive repairs."

"I understand," I said again, my heart heavy. How long did he mean for me to stay with my family? A week? A month? Forever?

"I will come for you, in time," he promised. I cast my eyes downward, disappointed. "Belle," he said as he lifted my chin up to look at him. "I will. You are mine, and I will be with you, when I can." Anticipation swelled inside me, but I was careful to not get my hopes up too much. Until he was actually on my doorstep, ready to take me home and make me his wife, I refused to allow myself to dream about that time.

He arranged for the carriage to take me home, and I stumbled to it blindly. For a moment I remembered my haversack and turned to go back and fetch it, before realizing that it was no doubt burned with the rest of the the furniture and things. Still, it hadn't held much beyond one of my simple farm dresses, and while its loss was a pity, it was nothing compared to the sheer volume of what had been burned inside the castle. The ride home was a blur. I hardly felt the bouncing of the carriage over bumpy road, nor registered the passing of trees from the window. Perhaps I had been a fool to go back to Lord August at all. Yet again the happiness of our marriage had been torn from me, and I couldn't bear the thought of it happening again. I would not think of him again.

I departed from the carriage upon reaching the farm and thanked the boy, then turned to the house. My father and sisters would be surprised to see me back so soon. The journey was not impossible to make both ways on foot in one day, but it was taxing. They would expect me to stay the night at the castle and return the following day. What would they think now, as I showed up in the twilight, with the scent of smoke clinging to me? I would have to tell them the truth, I decided remorsefully. They need not know all the intimate details, but the burden of secrets had lain on me too long, and word of the fire was sure to spread throughout the town like, well, wildfire.

They were all seated near the fire in the front room when I came in, Margaret and Mary busy darning socks, and Father with his pipe. Their faces were indeed showing surprise at my appearance.

"Belle," said Father, "We weren't expecting you back till the morrow. Is everything all right?"

"Have you walked both ways?" piped up Mary.

"It's fine, Father," I reassured him. "No, Mary, his lordship was kind enough to lend me his carriage for the return trip."

"You reek of smoke," said Mary, wrinkling her nose.

"Yes... about that. I'm afraid I haven't been completely honest with you about my stay with Lord August." I drew a deep breath. It was time to tell them the truth. I would share the truth with them, explain it all, and then think of him no more.

"What have you not been honest about?" Father's face darkened and I knew he was thinking the worst. Mary and Margaret leaned in eagerly.

"Our relationship," I said. "We were...closer than I have led you to believe. What I told you about us sharing books and conversation over literature was true, and we also used to ride together everyday. As I said, somewhere along the way I grew fond of him. Very fond. I-I fell in love with him, and he offered to marry me." my face flushed red and hot, and my sisters looked at me aghast.

"You're engaged?!" shrieked Mary, leaping to her feet. The needles and fabric tumbled from her lap to the floor, but she paid it no mind.

"To a lord?" Margaret's mouth hung open.

"No, not exactly. Please, let me finish." I motioned for Mary to take her seat. Father was frowning again, no doubt fearing the worst. "We were engaged. I am sure you are familiar with the rumors of Lord August and his wife." They nodded. "Well, she didn't exactly die."

"What do you mean, she didn't die?" Father was indignant. "Are you saying this man proposed marriage to you while his wife still lived?"

"Yes," I whispered.

"Belle. I raised you better than that. Before God and everyone, you would defy the sacred covenant of marriage?" Father's face was stern.

"No, Father. I didn't know. I thought she was truly dead. I would have gone on thinking that, too, but she came back." I explained how Lady Regina and Lord August had come to their unusual arrangement, with her faked death and him living as a widower. Father looked skeptical and angry, but my sisters appeared to be fascinated, and Mary in particular seemed to find it all wildly romantic. "But then she came back," I finished my explanation. "She wasn't supposed to, he thought they were parted forever, if not in the eyes of the church then by conventional marriage standards. But she came back. I fled as soon as I knew the truth, that is why I came back."

"Then why did you back today?" asked Margaret. "If he is married, he can make you no further offer, can he?" her face clearly spoke of the scandal she feared - that I would become the lord's mistress. It was true that he had almost made me that, but I could never have consented to become his plaything while I knew he had a wife - could I? I thought guiltily of how I'd kissed him on the couch, even knowing he was married.

"I just wanted to ask him why, to find out why he felt the need to deceive me, and if he could have gone through with it." I was having a hard time excusing my behavior as well as his.

"Then he has made you no other offers?" asked Father pointedly.

"Well, yes... he has." I began. Father sucked in breath sharply, and Mary's eyes grew even larger

"What kind of scandal would you bring upon this house?" demanded Father. "Upon yourself, and your sisters?" He angrily threw his hand in the direction of Mary and Margaret, while scowling fiercely at me. "How could they ever make a good match when you debase yourself in such a way? The whole household will be damned!" He was fuming, and I hurried to correct him.

"No, Father, it's not like that, just listen," I begged. "Please. He never asked that of me. He offered to divorce his wife for me." Father's face changed from anger to surprise, and my sisters looked even more so. "For me, he would have borne the shame and scandal of divorce."

"Well, be that as it may, it is not much better to marry a divorced man." Father's tone was still irritated, but he seemed slightly mollified that Lord August would sooner divorce his wife than make a mistress of me.

"It's no longer necessary," I said quietly. "When Regina heard the news, she became angry. She rushed at Lord August to attack him and she fell and hit her head." I paused, still processing the information myself, and Father and my sisters waited patiently for me to continue, though I could see their faces bursting with curiosity. I fidgeted with a lose thread on my dress as I spoke again. "Lord August left to fetch a doctor for her, but his housekeeper, she found Regina and she went mad. She loved the lady so much, the sight of her lying on the floor, possibly dead, drove her over the edge. She was mad, absolutely mad, and she took a log from the fire and set everything ablaze. I tried to take the Lady Regina outside with me to safety, but Mrs. Delvers wouldn't let me near her. She was insane, setting everything on fire. The lady perished, either in the fire or from the blow to her head, I do not know."

There was a pause as we all digested this.

"So then he's free to marry you?" Mary asked. I shrugged helplessly.

"I don't know. He says he'll come, but there is just so much for him to do, and once the town finds out about Regina's return, he'll have to deal with that scandal. The castle will require so many repairs. And once people do find out about Regina, he won't be able to marry until his mourning phase is over... There's just so many hindrances."

"But he said he'll come?" pressed Margaret.

"Yes, but it's difficult to believe that after the other lies he's told. I take no stock in his promise this time, and I beg of you to do the same. Should he appear and be ready, then I'll believe it, till then I encourage you to put the whole thing from your heads, as I myself am trying to do." Suddenly overcome with exhaustion, I informed my family I was retiring for the evening, despite their protests and pleading questions. I left them huddled around the fire, talking amongst themselves as I slipped uinto my bed and blessed unconsciousness, an escape from the torments of the day.

* * *

My sisters were reluctant to abandon their line of questions on the subject, but eventually they did, after my stoic refusal to indulge them. I settled again back into farm life, paying special attention to my garden as the summer drew near and the buds of green sprang to life everywhere. I threw myself into work, rising early and coming in as the sun was setting, eating my dinner and then crawling exhausted into bed. The hard work and the pleasant tiredness at the end of the day kept my mind from wandering too much, or thinking about Lord August.

The townsfolk desired no such distraction from his lordship, however, and the fire and the return of the Lady Regina was the hottest gossip around, the source of much speculation for them. Margaret returned breathless from the marketplace the day after the fire, brimming with news. Like any juicy tidbit, the word had spread quickly, though it had obviously been modified by Lord August. Rumor had it that to the shock of everyone, the Lady Regina had returned. Apparently after an accident in her rowboat she had hit her head and lost her memory. She'd wandered through the woods and lands around the castle until finding a kindly woman who, not recognizing her, had taken her in. She'd worked as a common laundress for years in the village under the woman until one day her memory suddenly returned. Though it was years later, she couldn't wait a minute more, and left that very day to be with her love, the Lord August.

I could not suppress a smirk at that notion, having seen firsthand the contempt she felt for him, but I said nothing.

Shortly after her return, the lady had suffered a malady of some kind, possibly a heart failure, and had passed away. Upon the heels of such great joy, the great tragedy proved to be too much for the loyal Mrs. Delvers, who snapped and burned the whole place down, and herself and Regina with it. The townsfolk were in awe over the tragedy, all of them saying how terrible it must be for poor Lord August, and what a shame for the poor grief-stricken housekeeper. My sisters were clever enough to bite their tongues and do no more than mutter platitudes along with the villagers, rather than correct them or fill them in with their inside information. I rarely left the farm, but when I did I didn't speak with others more than necessary, and after a few months the gossip began to fade, save for occasional updates on the progress from the crew hired to repair.

I heard nothing from Lord August.

One sunny day in the middle of summer, Margaret returned home flushed and grinning from ear to ear. She looked as though she were physically bursting with news, so I obliged her by asking how her trip to town had been.

"Oh, Belle," she said, her eyes shining. "I'm engaged! Stefan is finally able to open up his own forge, and he's asked me to marry him!" Her excitement was infectious, and I found myself grinning along with her while she squealed. Mary came running in to see what the fuss was about and soon she was squealing and jumping up and down too. "I'm going to be married!" cried Margaret again. She rushed off to tell Father, and Mary and I smiled at each other.

"You'll be next," I reassured her.

"Do you really think so?" she asked wistfully. "It'd be so nice." Her eyes glazed over dreamy and I wondered which lad of the moment she was thinking of. With Mary, you never knew. It could very well be flitting back and forth between several of them. I forbade my mind from drifting into thoughts of my own possible wedding, focusing instead on Margaret's.