All Comments on 'Bed of Rose's: Jack_Straw'

by jack_straw

Sort by:
  • 62 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
great story

Great story. I loved it. It brought tears to my eyes, tears of joy, because I want so much for people to grow up and help themselves and help other people.

This writing shows so much caring and wisdom in the characters. Excellent writing. Please write more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great job, Jack!

Just for the record, the complete list of those that have written stories based on "This Bed of Rose's":

Jack Straw, Dynamite Jack, Josephus, techsan, thecelt, and DG Hear.

I like what Jack has done with this story. I think it really captures the essence of the words in the song. It also captures the Christmas spirit and makes a strong entry in the Holiday contest.

For those readers that haven't read all the stories I invite you to go ahead and do it. It's fascinating how different the stories are given the same starting point.

Nice effort, Jack!

Regards, DJ

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Yes

All who have done this story have done it well. I thank them for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
It doesn't ring true

Would you really tell your 16 year old daughter the intimate details of your blow job. You should have used some other vehicle to tell your tale which on the whole was good

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
poor Elizabeth!

she has to learn about the birds and the bees via her dad, the real version!

talking about fuckin' Rose to 16 year old Elizabeth must be some task! lol

good version; but I still like HD Hear's better: if I remember correctly, his was the only one of the 4-5 that does not involve the poor boy fuckin' Rose,,,,,

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 17 years ago
So far

I have liked every version of this story. Each has a slightly different focus and location but they all remain true to the theme. This was a great idea and hats off to all who have participated.

jack_strawjack_strawover 17 years agoAuthor
Author's note

My apologies for not including the line I had in my first draft that explained that he left out the intimate details of his night of lust with Rose.

In the editing process, that was part of a paragraph that seemed superfluous so I took it out, and forgot to put the disclaimer back in.

The idea was that Jack was narrating a story to a wider audience, rather than him simply talking to his daughter. And this is, after all, an erotic story site, and a little sex is always welcome.

But certainly no loving father is going to describe to his 16 year-old daughter exactly how he made love to a woman. If I had it to do over, I'd make that a little clearer.

Hope that helps ease some concerns.

PEATBOGPEATBOGover 17 years ago
A top quality romantic story!!

Very impressive Jack! I really love stories that have a sad but happy ending. You have given us a top quality romantic story infused with more than a little heartache. So impressive and beautifully written - a worthy addition to all the other "Bed of Rose's" contributions! Pete.

Nightowl22Nightowl22over 17 years ago
A very good story that

does amplify Christmas and helping people.

After all of his heartache it was good that he could find the love he needed. It was an unfortunate ending for Rose, though. Rose was the person you hear a great deal about: a prostitute with a heart of gold. This was a heart warming Christmas story.

I enjoyed this story very much!

cageyteecageyteeover 17 years ago
Damn! I just LOVE your writing!!!

Sometimes the story line doesn't go where I hoped it would and sometimes the plot isn't one of my choosing but you are a great story teller and I've never regretted a moment spent reading your stories.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Heart warming story

I don't know if this story is realistic or not, but it is one of the most heart warming, enjoyable stories I've read in a long time. Congratulations on writing such a fine story for those of us who like happy endings. 60 year old George

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
I loved this story!

What a lesson for all of us as we approach the holiday season. This is a wonderfully written story that packs a lot of emotion and tender love. Bravo!!

zed0zed0over 17 years ago
I Love A Happy Ending

Great tale of love, hard work, & perseverance, without being to religious or preachy. With just enough sex to keep it erotic.

zed0zed0over 17 years ago
I Love A Happy Ending

Great tale of love, hard work, & perseverance, without being to religious or preachy. With just enough sex to keep it erotic.

zed0zed0over 17 years ago
I Love A Happy Ending

Great tale of love, hard work, & perseverance, without being to religious or preachy. With just enough sex to keep it erotic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Down Then Up - Thanks To Your Comment

Jack Jack Jack - I had a nasty comment to offer until I saw your comment about the inadvertantly purged disclaimer of non-detailed sex with Rose to your daughter.

If I hadn't seen your comment, the score would have been much much less than zero as a father doesn't talk that way to a 16 year old daughter he cares about.

It sounded as though you were not going to go back and correct that grievous error - don't be nuts - do it now as not to turns a great story into a cheap tawdry view of dad by her.

Change it now please as unchanged it cheapens your portfolio.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Very Good

I enjoyed your story very much. It certainly is as good as the stories by the other writers. I think there is enough variation so that they don't all sound like the same story. I know that at least one more writer may submit a bed of roses story and I hope he will post it on this site.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Perfect interpretation of the song

I grew up listening to the Statler's Bed of Roses, and to the Grateful Dead for that matter. You absolutely nailed the story that goes with the song.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 17 years ago
Thank You

for the beautiful story.

bornagainbornagainover 16 years ago
So Good Jack

Your so Good Jack and i couldnt keep myself from crying about Jack in the story the way his family gets killed and he ends up on the street then finds love what really happened to the man and woman that he gave the money and sent them to the motel did they ever repay the kindness to another group?

Pat

bornagainbornagainover 16 years ago
Still the best Jack

I still love to read this story Jack I lost my dad about four years ago at 79 but when i read this story i cry for him knowing the love he gave me when i was Jacks age in the story

Joesephus wrote another Bed of Roses which was a little different than yours Jack it was good it made me cry also.he was killed in a car crash last month.

Pat

Atlanta,Ga

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
Captured The Spirit

Excellent tale. Took a C&W song and then fleshed it into a real yarn about life. My hat's off to you sir! Well written, superb characters, great structure and a real tear jerker at the end.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorover 14 years ago
The very best

Jack, each time I read "Bed of Rose's: Jack_Straw" I have tears running down my cheeks. It is especially meaningful today, just two weeks before Christmas. <p> Thank you for writing it and for allowing us the joy of reading it.

djaxdjaxover 14 years ago
I totally LOVED it!!

I don't and have never listened to the Statler Brothers, I am a rocker too, Strangely my name is Jack too. I think that this was probably the absolute best story I have read to date, here or otherwise. To be so short it was a very good story, the plot was fantastic the characters very real, little or no grammatical or spelling errors. I wish I had that kind of talent to come up with a story like that, totally unbelievable! Thank you for this story, I have read several other stories of yours but this one is the best so far, by far. Thanks again!

racoon1174racoon1174almost 13 years ago
Simply Amazing!

I recently read Josephus's contribution to this story challenge and I have to say as much as his touched me yours hit even deeper. The emotion that your able to impart through your writing is perhaps some of the best examples of that type of true writing that I've seen on this site. Please keep it up and thanks for the effort it took to share all these stories.

Socially_IneptSocially_Ineptalmost 13 years ago
Loved it!

This was a truly touching story. It goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

A truly wonderful story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Jerk a tear from old eyes?

Thanks. I love happy endings. Usually I rely on Opera for a good cry: fortunately I don't speak Italian. I do speak English however, and appreciate your gramatical story-telling. When I read, I remember like I was there. Like I was just unsure of the details. Alas now as I write, these too fade but... I have a lingering feeling of well-being, and gratitude to Rose.

Forty or so years ago, I was someplace... maybe Tupelo?

I still had miles yet to go against the wind: often filled with snow.

PhotoproffPhotoproffover 11 years ago
I loved it

I am getting old and soft. Except for being a druggie my life kind of paralleled Jacks. Esp. no family since I was 9. "I'm now in my seventies". Tears tried to come when I read Rose had died of leukemia. You see, my younger brother also died of it. I loved your story. Esp. Jack telling his daughter about the spirit of giving and how it came about. Thanks.

dirtytezdirtytezover 11 years ago
I cried

I was on a path of self-destruction. Never looked at myself or motivation just fought against any and everything. Then a woman opened herself to me. Completely, laid her soul before me just because she loved me. To this day I do not have that courage but I was humbled and I try. No big financial success story but we both work and we are still very much in love after 16 years. I could not and will not imagine life without her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
great

great story. sometimes a life is changed by a simple act of kindness. as a teenager, many decades ago, i received such a gift. they have both gone on to be with the Lord, but I continure to pass their gift on. Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Great Story

THIS IS THE BEST STORY & I THINK THIS STORY GIVE ME SOME ............................. KNOWLEDGE OF LIFE.

THANKS .

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
that is a great story of courage and survival

so glad he met someone like Rose to help him escape the life he was in...it is true you can meet a tart with a heart and she certainly had a big one.....with so much tragedy in his life it was good that he met his wife and had a great life afterwards and good that he showed compassion to others who were in a similar situation he had been in....a loving story...

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
just great

U r a very good writer. On the adult site u got me all emotional. Keep it up .and god bless u for the valuable lesson u gave through your story.

pumpop201pumpop201over 8 years ago
Didn't anyone tell you.....

Didn't anyone tell you that it's not nice to make a grown man cry? Thanks for the wonderful, heart warming story.

snathsnathabout 8 years ago
Thanks

Thanks for sharing. There must be some truth in the story, I suspect. Thanks again.

SampkyangSampkyangabout 8 years ago
Very nice story 5*'s

can't imagine telling 16 yr old daughter about the night you went down on rosie! LOL

swampchuckswampchuckalmost 8 years ago
how dare you!

Every time I read this story I start cutting onions. How dare you reduce this 6'6" adult male to a blubbering mass. Very well written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
I'm with Swampduck on this story!

Every time...

There's a lot of onions to cut apparently

TheOldRomanticTheOldRomanticover 7 years ago
Great Story!

Unexpected and tender story.

There are many things in this story that I share of my youth, not all, but some.

A lot of courage to get out of a situation like this story narrated in need, and even more to have the confidence to tell a daughter of 16 years old.

I admit I loved it and it gave me some tears.

I have a feeling that this whole story is not fiction, I think there's some real life in the narrative.

5* for you.

I apologize for my English, is not my native language.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago

Jack, Really enjoyed your tale of loss and love. I wish more people understood the value of the "pay it forward" moral. Thank you for the heartwarming story. jntiques

GoodhueGoodhueabout 7 years ago
Special

A heart-warming story ,accentuating that it's not wealth and sucess that are the only avenues toward happiness.

Perhaps the lessons learned by Jack Straw from Wichita as he just tried to survive were far more valuable than a Harvard Education!

~ And sweet Rose! Wouldn't it have been grand if each of us had been fortunate to experience that expression of love,in so many ways,during our youth?

Lovely story!

slm59slm59over 6 years ago
Life Lessons

This story, whether totally fictitious or based in part on some real life experiences, drew me in and twisted my emotions. When I was growing up my family was often one paycheck or less from not eating, and twice we were homeless. It stuck with me that, if not for the kindness of strangers, my childhood could have been so much worse. There, but for the grace of god...

In the mid 80's I was working in downtown LA and I'd seen so many scams from some of the so-called homeless that I became somewhat jaded. The best example of that is a man who trolled at my evening bus stop, said he was short of money to get home and asked for money for bus fare. The next day he gave the same line to someone a couple feet over from me and he ran when he saw me step towards him to intervene. Later that year I had an encounter that changed how I dealt with someone begging for food or money. There was young woman who asked me for money to buy food for her and her young daughter while I was out walking at lunch. I passed her by and continued to my office, but I started feeling guilty and called my wife to discuss it with her because something in the girl's story rang true and I was feeling bad for not helping her and her baby. My wife, who is much smarter than I am, convinced me to return and buy food for the girl rather than giving her money. To this day it still haunts me that I could have ignored helping someone who truly needed it.

I don't give to everyone, as I'm not wealthy and I can't save the world, but I try to help when I see someone in need. I've given money to families (mom, dad, children) outside a shopping center with signs claiming they have nowhere to go and no food. I actually had friends pull over while I was travelling with them and gave something to a family in need. My friends thought it was a scam, but if I have it to give, I will; even if it's a scam from someone who chooses to beg as a career. I was once just like one of those children. I always keep a few dollars in my car to give to someone I think needs it more than I do. I won't know what they spend it on, and it's on their conscience if they are scamming me. I prefer that to not helping someone in need. My actions, or failure to act, will be on my conscience.

So, thanks to Jack Straw for a very nice story with a life lesson for those who care to listen. 5 Stars!

Steve

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
OMG

Fantastic! !!!!!! Thank you

goalie52goalie52over 5 years ago
It's a shame!

It's a shame that with a story as great as this one is that you can't give more stars!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Amazing

Man this can be an account of someone's personal experience. Reading this I really feel as if we are doing something wrong if things like these are happening. Of course it will never vanish but we can try our best to help these people in some small ways. But yeah this tale was very moving. If the homeless people we see have to suffer these things then man we ought to do something. I can't imagine anyone going through this. Like imagine what he must be feeling when he knows his lover is a hooker/call girl. Too much! Gr8

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
This Is The Third One

Of your stories that I've of yours tonight that put tears in my eyes, three jewels in this genre. I can't take anymore, going to have to read some BTB's to even things out. ;-} Then I'll set out to read the other entries based on the song. the Statler's 'Flowers On The Wall' and 'Class Of '57' were good to listen to, I grew up on Rock and Roll, Country/Western and Doo-Wap, never realy got into the Dead. Just to help Jack get a tad of revenge, as I type this the Spurs just beat the New Orleans Pelicans 121-117. Who came up with the name Pelicans any way? Got to be the worst team name in pro sports. Signed: BTW

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15almost 4 years ago

Awesome story! I love 💘 Country Music! Very familiar with this song.

jntiquesjntiquesover 3 years ago

Dear Author, Again, very nice and much enjoyed. Glad I found your writings. Thank you. jntiques/john

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

A touching story, loved every 5* word. It doesn't hurt that I love music also.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 3 years ago

Reads as though you lived it. Great emotional storytelling.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Every so often a story really reaches out to people - this is one of them. I agree with Ravey, the words came too easy to have not lived much of this. Thank you Jack - 5 stars

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Has to be one best stories I have ever read. Made me feel that I was right there.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Exceptional story.

NitpicNitpicover 2 years ago
First

First class story.

goodshoes2goodshoes2over 2 years ago

Nitpic said it, and I am sorry, but I am paraphrasing him/her: "First class story".

Thank you for writing.

MarrttyMarrttyover 1 year ago

When the intro said prostitute. I was not liking the story. By the end things were getting 8n my eyes, and I could not see the screen. Thanks

NitpicNitpic11 months ago
Very

Very good story.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Wonderful story with well developed characters. I'm not one who normally enjoys stories about a prostitute, but this one was so beautiful that nothing really mattered except the characters and the story. 5 stars and we'll done.

Tom from NC

bob4300sbob4300s6 months ago

Very good job. Tears in my eye.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I first read your story about the carpenter that had come after hurricane Katrina. I knew right away there was actual knowledge there. Same for this one. I’m a lifelong Mississippian. Had construction projects in S MS for three years after Katrina. Dad was from Tupelo. I helped build the chemistry building at Ole Miss, graduated from MSU, lived in Tupelo for a year. (Those things not listed in any order. Just places that you and I know) I go thru Witicha several times a year to see my daughter in Colorado. I’m pretty hooked now. I’ll probably read all your stories on here. Thanks.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous