All Comments on 'Cast Your Bread Upon the Waters'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 169 Comments
Pappy7Pappy7about 8 years ago
I liked it.

Well written, of course, and no cucks here. A man can have a fiery wife and not be submissive, at least I don't think I am. Have to ask my wife. Seriously, I hope, this was a good story, not sure about the crying but everyone is different. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Wait for it, wait for it... I gave you a 5 star rating.

chytownchytownabout 8 years ago
Good Read****

Very enjoyable. Thanks for sharing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Whole lot of nothing

It was mercifully short. The plot was so slender it was nearly invisible. The husband was a hand wringing ball of nothing. The wife was an epically stupid caricature of a person. Every character was poorly developed and poorly executed. Just a really bad effort from an author who can do so much better. Very disappointing from this author.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

if she hadn't play she would still be married

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Stupid woman

Anyone who believes a BS in psych is worth anything in the job market should have their head examined.

screwherscrewherabout 8 years ago

I'm sure this story succeeded in the areas where you wanted it to. I come on this site for another though. Your story just didn't cater to that.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Talent at work here, for sure

But the story seemed a bit rushed and probably laid down in a single sitting. Still, good construction, grammar, and flow. Like a lot of first person Lit. stories, it reads like a bar room tale. About one beer's worth. Nice bit of fluff.

luedonluedonabout 8 years ago
A story about a man who worked really hard to make his marriage a success

It's sad that after all that love he showered on her she didn't appreciate it. It is a great pity that other husbands aren't as forgiving as Chase.

L

fisheronefisheroneabout 8 years ago
Slipping away

It seems to me that chase and Susan ruined this marriage, Chase wasn't spending anytime with young wife and Susan wasn't trying to better marriage. I learned a long time ago, that both need to put into a marriage but in this case neither did. From first sentence, I never heard one word of something they did together. Once Chase thought marriage was slipping he threw towel in and wouldn't even put an effort. SubconsciouslyI think chase wanted out because he wanted Ginger. It's amazing how he had time for marriage and loving for Ginger because he wanted it to work.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
No love there

It seems to me at the husband liked his wife, but love, no. And that's not a bad thing, in fact I was him once in my life so I really can relate. I actually think this happens a lot in the so called "High School sweethearts" marriages. I've never seen the actual statistics on this, but I'll bet they are very, very high in divorce amongst these types of marriage. Like I say, although I didn't marry my High School sweetie , we did live together for almost four years and in the end it just fizzled out instead of a major cratering , due to the fact that we both matured into something different than our Teen aged selves.

I really liked this story Carvohi , it was a accurate slice of real life !

5*'s

Cpprcrk

sugnasugnaabout 8 years ago
Good One!

This story makes a lot of sense. No kids, no stranglehold, no reason to get upset, just face reality and move on. Susan proved to be a stupid, ungrateful woman - not good wife material and definitely not good mother material. Chase did not really lose all that much, he had gained wisdom from his experience with Susan. Hopefully that wisdom is what led him back to Ginger. Ginger while on briefly described seem to be very direct and focused. Honesty is the best place to start a marriage and the best place to keep it. The plot felt good, it felt real, and we were not dragged through any unnecessary pain and suffering - thanks.

tazz317tazz317about 8 years ago
ALL THAT FAUX KNOWLEDGE

is not only dangerous, but detracts from what life should be about, TK U MLJ LV NV

impo_61impo_61about 8 years ago
This is a short story...so...

This is a short story...so the day by day relationship between this couple wasn't well described...The core of the story is that he always stand by her, supported her decision to go college again, was even proud of her decision...Of course he wasn't a man of confrontations...her day by day behavior, her cheating, opened a hole in his heart from where his love trickled down fast...He also had a lot of time to think about the other woman he dated in college...All these facts set this end...I just don't agree with one thing: Lover boy didn't love his wife, he just wanted her, if he really loved her he would try to marry her...but no...he was just a predator...3*

overthehillmedicoverthehillmedicabout 8 years ago
I like it !

Short...to the point....have seen many women become stupid once they feel they are educated. Walmart is a good place for her...she is making big money for all her education. Oh yes....very descriptive. You get a 5 for a great btb story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I have read some time ago

most married couples, each has a new partner in the wings if the current relationship hits the skids... If my memory is correct the percentage is 50% +or-... Thus the story patterns this theory. 5

sbrooks103sbrooks103about 8 years ago
Only Fair

Not up to your previous standards.

Minor point – she should have stayed in community college for the full two years. It’s a lot less expensive than the first two years at a four-year college. Then she transfers to a four-year school as a Junior. Worst case, she might need to take a couple of extra courses that weren’t offered at the community college.

For those who say that he didn’t “work” at the marriage, I say that he simply recognized the obvious: that she now felt superior to him and wanted out, and any attempts to fight it would be met with more of the same.

There is really only one answer to her “proposal”: We’re married. As long as we’re married there are going to be no gatherings with other men, I don’t care how “cosmopolitan” they are. If that doesn’t work for you, then you can have a divorce. Well, she DID more or less agree to that, but how sincere was she?

“I meant seeing other men as in seeing them in group discussions." - “Group” discussions usually include both sexes, so why did she feel the need to specify seeing “other men”?

I love how she expects him to happily accept her proposal for an “open marriage”, but as soon as she thinks that HE’S found someone else, she gets all upset!

And Ryan! He wants to be able to “see” Susan when he wants, the idea of actually having her full-time sets him back a bit!

Why he thinks that Ginger, with her “flashes of jealousy”, would never pull a “Fletcher” is puzzling. Jealous people are not immune from cheating, heck, they are some of the worse cheaters! Their own cheating fuels their jealousy, they think that THEIR cheating, so everyone else must be too!

“I swear she didn't have on a bra, and with the top three buttons undone...well.” – Not to be crude, but if she’s “flat as a board”, what’s the big deal?

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 8 years ago
This story might be best appreciated with a beer and a shot of hooch

It's your basic barroom or neighborhood barbecue yarn told in tight, economical fashion by one of nature's noblemen. There's emotion there but the narrator is not wearing it on his sleeve. The BIG picture is that he's better off without her. Everything flows from that . His strength is that he isn't driven to play tit for tat , to force confrontation over egregious and hurtful texts.

Once she outs herself - there's no reason to hang on and fight for hopelessly sundered marriage, no kids, no property of significant worth to divvy up. So smile and grease the skids for her exit and move on. Carovhi could have pandered to Loving Wives audience by inputting some surefire stomach roilers like revealing hurtful text contents , setting up trap to reveal beyond doubt the cheaters' deception or fighting over property allotment in divorce settlement.

But that would have gone against the narrator's precepts and mores. He ushered her out of life with all possible drama avoided. Nice. He theoretically got snookered into paying for education but then Chase reaped the best of what Susan had to offer during her prime years so maybe it is win/win after all ?

BTW when one party of married couple does contemptuous habitual eye roll thing like Susan did. Studies have shown the union is in deep trouble. Carovhi wrote a subdued crash and marital burn here with same sure grace Chase bid farewell to faithless spouse. Solid narrator, solid read. I thank Carvohi for sharing.

Richie4110Richie4110about 8 years ago
Good Quicky

As with all your stories, I liked reading it and will probably read it again soon ( second readings often give a slightly different perspective). It was a fun read and the ending was predictive. For that reason I gave it a 4.

Thanks for sharing your effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Standard but entertaining

Good quick standard lw story. Writing was good.

Might have fleshed out the how he found about the cheating but not sure that would have worked as well given you wanted a short flash story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
3*s

I'm busy reading a long, complicated fiction book. Then the non-fiction articles on the 'net. But had a very little time on my hands so I looked at this story, carvohi.

Well written little story. 3*s and thanks, lol.

AMerryman

paulsubpaulsubabout 8 years ago
I have read most of our stories. I like your main character's self confidence and real self esteem. Real love has to begin with having self worth that is shared with someone who has self worth to share with you.This story is the perfect example of this th

I have read many of your stories. I like your main character's self confidence and self esteem. Real love is a partnership where each partner brings value to their union in their confidence that they will enhance the others life. Self esteem makes one able to stand alone and make a better partner in a loving relationship.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Not very good

This was a pale imitation of a good LW story, not the real thing. The characters were just sketched out. The punctuation was just awful. Someday, this author will read a grammar lesson and learn how to use commas and semicolons. Not up to his usual standards for plot and it belonged in non-erotic because it wasn't. Please try harder next time.

honeylicker1124honeylicker1124about 8 years ago
I always like reading your stories.

I expected this to be a flash story, after the intro. I usually like a thorough character development and plot development to keep my attention up. The ending was pretty much expected. On the descriptions, I thought that you stopped before you did a thorough job, but maybe it was just me.

4 *'s

swingerjoeswingerjoeabout 8 years ago
Lather, rinse, repeat

Pretty straightforward, standard, boilerplate, LW plot, featuring the usual cast of characters: the apathetic husband who doesn't seem to care all that much about his wife, the brain-dead wife who asks hubby to see other men (completely out of the blue), the boring details of the divorce, the happily-ever-after ending for hubby and his new (hotter) bride, and the unhappy ending for the selfish whore who realizes too late what she lost.

Later, rinse, repeat. There must be a template for these stories somewhere. Just replace the names of the characters, hit submit, and await your four-star rating.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I just love the comments

Some really make me chuckle. Not a bad little tale, it was entertaining. No burn the bitch, no destruction, no elaborate scheme to get even, just a cool less dramatic way to end a marriage. Who fooled who? It's not always greener on the other side of the fence. Thanks for the entertaining read and allowing the reader to participate by allowing comments and voting. Seems like some authors have started a trend to not allow voting and delete comments that don't praise them. Sad, it's their loss, since I'm not going to read any story that doesn't allow me to participate. (ML) 4*

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 8 years ago
@swingerjoe

You're right. Just a standard cheating wife tale. Basically what I like to read. Different degrees of revenge, a lot of justice and a happy ending for the betrayed husband. I know you're familiar with my circumstances so this should be no surprise. And thank you for the acknowledgement. Carvohi, thanks for the great flash tale.

Five Stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Nice story, good flow, God ending

Always like your stories, another dumb wife bits the dust.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
1*

usual boring carvohi drivel.

oshawoshawabout 8 years ago

Always glad to see a new story, carvohi. Hope the next is just as entertaining.

oshaw

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
5

to help the writer and to offset the asshole of LIT's 1 vote

ForensicFossilForensicFossilabout 8 years ago
Liked It But...

About 24 hours between the marriage-ending confrontation and committing to a new marriage to a woman he hasn't seen while she got married and either divorced or widowed? They are different people than they were in high school. This guy makes bad decisions.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago

Fun

T.T.

tennesseeredtennesseeredabout 8 years ago
Lightweight

This is a common LW theme: a cheating wife who doesn't much try to hide what she is doing, and a cold, heartless husband who makes hardly any effort to keep her. In fact, reading between the lines, we wonder if he is more concerned about his pride than about his wife. The husband is distant, aloof, and cooly analytical. His wife, perhaps starved for affection, takes up with another man, claiming he is just a friend. We all know where that will lead, and it does. Sure, the wife is dishonest with herself and with her husband, expecting him to believe that her relationship with her friend will remain platonic. But the husband doesn't seem to care; his pride is more important! Were these two people ever truly married? Or just comfortable and convenient roommates? As is often the case in these types of super-cool-husband stories, another and even better woman is right there, ready to snap him up! What an ego boost! A competently written story but as another reader wrote, just a barroom tale, about one beer's worth.

slamdog1slamdog1about 8 years ago
Always grateful for a finished story from you

You are a great writer and I always give you 5* for your finished works to offset the jerks that inhabit this category.

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasterabout 8 years ago

Boring tale about a thoroughly unlikable guy. But, credit where it's due, he didn't hire someone to rape her or keep her captive at gunpoint this time, so barber you're making progress on that anger and misogyny there.

Still only worth over star though, as it was uninteresting and not even remotely erotic.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
ANOTHER shitty tale about an overbearing asshole!

Poorly written, stilted dialogue, and as weak as first person always is. Why not try to write from an omniscient viewpoint about characters who aren't perfect, in a world where everything isn't black and white? It might be fun, for a change.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
I disagree

I never understood how it is misogyny for a man to want to leave out of a failing pointless marraige. Personally l, this story exhibits the problem most flash stories have. The character and plot development is lacking. Hence why it seems so black and white.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
good story!

Don't listen to that nonce foreskinblister!!!! He is too tied up in his mum's cellar to do anything but piss himself and wank his diseased little micropenis!!! He screeches misogyny at the drop of his semen dribble!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Yawn....

... Went sleeping....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Like the main character

It could have used a little grit. There was no conflict, so there was really no resolution. Everything just was as it was.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Soggy bread

Words in search of a story. Actions in search of a plot. A synopsis of a Ciffnotes summary. What's a reader to do? See...if I read aimlessly, nothing makes sense. If you write aimlessly, you don't make cents.

So WHY did you write this? What spotlight on life are you illuminating here? I'm just not seeing it. My guess...somebody named Ryan Flecther wanted his name in a story, or you have it in for someone named Ryan Fletcher.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 8 years ago
Another 5* story

Sadly this happens when some poor chap pays for his wife to go through university and she dumps him for a lecturer.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyabout 8 years ago
Ok story

If the house was under water, and turned out to be worth less than he thought, how did he buy her out?

Was a bit plot light for my taste. The short chat with ginger was v good. I only wish she was a major character

Chilley

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Some of these comments are just too stupid.

You ask me; a guy gets married, put his wife through college, she starts to cheat, and he cashes in and moves on. He was lucky he had another woman who still wanted him even after he'd already ditched her for the skank.

It's pretty much a safe story, nothing especially new, but no one got shot, raped, beaten up, or thrown in a dumpster.

Still, some of comments make me wonder if we were reading the same story. For once we ought to be thankful carvohi wrote a quickie. He usually takes ten pages what he could have said in two. Not too shabby. I gave it a five.

First Born 374

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Well Jed - a few questions

How does he start a construction business with no money? The law requires him to have a certain amount of working capitol or he can't even get a license.

What does having two older brothers have to do with being thin skinned or sensitive?

Why would he offer her more than a 50/50 split?

Why would he give her anything if the house was under water? She has NO half as half of nothing is nothing.

Why would she sign off without looking at the papers? Besides, the Court would require her signature to be notarized to be legal.

Why would he want to marry someone with a volcanic temper? Isn't that like stepping out of the frying pan into the fire? And why even consider getting married so quickly? Most states have a cooling off period before he could legally get remarried.

If Ginger was a good Catholic she wasn't getting married anyway. In the eyes of the Catholic Church she's STILL married to her first husband and she sure didn't get the married annulled in the eyes of the Church that quickly, if at all. So no remarriage in the Catholic Church for her.

And you never said what school Susan graduated from but a BS in Psychology from a good school would have enabled her to get a decent job in a number of fields, including working for a school district.

Too many holes in this to make for a decent read. Maybe next time.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Back to basics

In a good way. Your narrator kept some details (such as the content of the texts, and how he got them) and feelings close to the vest, making for a somewhat light-hearted affair out of something that could have been more dramatic, but it was short enough to avoid that detracting much from the story.

As someone else pointed out, overly jealous people are just as likely to cheat, if not more so, than others. That aside, the back and forth with her at the restaurant seemed a unique conversation.

Thanks for the story. I certainly enjoyed it.

Cog

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 8 years ago
how is this in ANYWAY the husbands fault ?

it is not no surprise that a professional douche Bag like frontline masturbater would blame the Husband... but the fact is that if the husband is paying for the wife's entire college education and he has work some extra hours... then it is NOT unreasonable to say that she should NOT be fucking n other men

bruce22bruce22about 8 years ago
This is the inverse of many real situations

Back fifty years ago this happened regularly to wives. They put their hubbies through graduate school, law school or med school and then were dropped for a more appropiate model. Perhaps this influenced the drastic change in the attitude toward the men who divorced their wives. Perhaps the present scenario is growing nowadays. Personally I would say that the moment you start disrespecting the other person it is over.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 8 years ago
as far as the story goes this is REALLY good

For some reason that I'm not sure of this entire story really appeal to me. I think that's the way the author structured the whole story. This is a one a few times that actually really identified with or at least thought I could identify with the husband character

For example this sentence here is really quite powerful

"I went upstairs, checked Susan's empty closet, I looked around the room; everything was the same, and nothing was the same "

It's not a very complicated story in terms of the plot but the character development of the husband is really quite well done. I must say I am pleasantly surprised.

4 stars

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasterabout 8 years ago
I'm curious

Where did I blame the husband for anything? I simply said the story was boring and he was unlikable as a character.

Oh, and that the author is an angry misogynist, but that was due to his other stories and rambling emails to me, not this specific boring, poorly written half of a story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
i was looking

for frontlinecaster stories after his comment i thought there had to be another hemminway writing, but alas just another wind bag. The story i enjoyed and thank you.

PostScriptorPostScriptorabout 8 years ago
Honest sounding with a dash of irony...

Good read with a lot of realistic elements in it.

Two in particular struck me. They aren't necessarily interrelated, but in this story they are. First, I've been amazed at how many women convince themselves that they are in love with a man and marry him basically to get out of their parents house. Several friends (of the womanish variety) have out and out told me that was their motivation. The second issue is that it seems to be pretty common for a woman to have an affair to try out a new man for a relationship, while trying to keep her existing relationship intact as a backup, or until she is ready to leave.

I enjoyed the middle section where the hero intellectually dissects the situation and his feelings and concludes (in effect) that he really won't have that much to lose if he splits with this woman. Wow! A lot of it centers around how much of the grief that is generated by a split like this is actually ego driven: how can this person actually reject me? Once the hero realizes that it isn't him, per se, but a psychological issue of his wife, his ego can deal with the outcome.

Of course I'm always pleased with a story in which the hero manages to be a step ahead of the errant spouse! The ambush at the house ('oh, can I help you move your shit out tonight? LOL!) followed early the next day by a follow up blow ('here are the papers. Just sign on the dotted line.) was particularly delicious.

In total, a well plotted out story, written well, with a certain amount of irony, made for a 5* read. Well done JC!

rightbankrightbankabout 8 years ago
knowledge without understanding

or wisdom is shallow.

sadly there are lots of men like Fletcher.

and women like Susan.

SensateSensateabout 8 years ago
Great Story - 5 stars

It's nice to see a story about a person who's mature and pragmatic. I guess that's why you made him a carpenter. There's nothing more solid and pragmatic than carpentry. I wish everyone could be so logical, but life is mostly about emotions and self-interest. It was very well written and enjoyable to read.

robinhodrobinhodabout 8 years ago
Well written

Lots of supportive comments.

Must be a success.

Didn't work for me though. Bit of a non story. Young couple drift apart, split, move on, our 'hero' does well, she doesn't. That's it - War and Peace it ain't.

AhazuraAhazuraabout 8 years ago
I liked it

fun read and thank you for sharing

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 8 years ago
Enjoyed it

Thanks for the offering.

luedonluedonabout 8 years ago
Re: "sadly there are lots of men like Fletcher and women like Susan"

Rightbank, you forgot Chase.

There are lots of husbands like him too.

And lots of stories about his kind here in Loving Wives.

Men who fail to work on their marriage and abandon it as soon as their wife shows signs of wandering.

L

Benedict12Benedict12about 8 years ago
Don't Educate Your Wife

A nice, brisk, well written tale that emphasizes a point Carvohi has made in at least one other story. A working class husband shouldn't pay for his wife's higher education unless he has a replacement lined up to take her place after the marriage crashes.

luedonluedonabout 8 years ago
Well said, Benedict12

The world doesn't need educated wives.

They only cause problems.

L

Ps; I think your namesake XVI also worried that women might get a bit too uppity in this world.

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasterabout 8 years ago
Indeed

This is a major theme of this author, and quite a few authors in this section. Education, careers, independence, not having you threaten to kill her on a regular basis, these things go to a woman's silly little head and turn her into a whore.

A sad little story for sad little men who fear their wives ever being out of their sight for a few minutes without the threat of violence (as carovhi advocates in at least two other stories, less active accuse that of being a straw man argument) .

carvohicarvohiabout 8 years agoAuthor
Hey Benedict...Front Line Caster

Wait a minute Benedict. My wife worked while I went to school. I helped her too. We were having kids at the same time. It was all so wonderful.

Gosh FLC; it sounds like you had an abusive father and had to put up with it.

IronDragonIronDragonabout 8 years ago
So, authors can't diversify? LOL

@FLC

Just because an author writes one kind of tale, doesn't mean that same author can't write other tales of a different type. Profiling much, frontline? Hmm. I think Donald Chump would use your talents in his Cabinet if he gets elected. Your profiling skills are OBVIOUSLY top notch! /endsarcasm

LOL Get your head out of your 4th point of contact! It's obvious that you don't like carvohi. Ok, that's your right. So WHY do you continue to read his tales? If you had the sense that God gave a chipmunk, you'd just ignore them and move on to something more your speed.

@Anon "good story!"

That "foreskinblister" joke was GREAT! I had to laugh at that one LOL. You're right, too. FLC does tend to scream "MISOGYNY!!!" whenever he reads about a Hubby standing up for himself and not taking shit from the cheating Wifey. It's the battlecry of the wannabe bull. If he had his way, all the Hubbies in these tales would be willing cucks. Yeah, he has some anger issues.

@carvohi

Good, well written little tale, man. Quick read. No outlandish revenge plots. Not really a BTB, at all. If FLC read very many of your tales, he should know that you don't actually BTB very often. Keep writing! Don't let the douchebags like FLC get to you. The comments on here are pretty entertaining, too. :)

5 Solid Stars

enjayemenjayemabout 8 years ago
Love them

Little flash stories. A bit more detail than some but essetially late in, early out and no bullshit. Loved it, 5*. Good luck with the stuff you're working on... Sometimes quick and simple trumps long and complex.

FD45FD45about 8 years ago
Two pages?

TWO PAGES?

I wish you my sympathy It must have been hard to type this out with broken fingers. I can come up with no other explanation to explain how short it is compared to your usual prose.

GeorgeAndersonGeorgeAndersonabout 8 years ago
Descriptive aspects:

Per your request. I think Chase's tone changes too much. For example, he describes Ginger:

"The skirt she wore was an equally lightweight pleated thing that came to just mid-thigh. The danged thing just fluttered about around those skinny legs as she walked."

Then two paragraphs later:

"Oh how could I have forgotten the melodious tonalities of her soft gentle voice? It was like the sound of the morning spring, a song bird, the joyous lyrical song of the nightingale."

This sort of thing was one of the reasons Mark Twain didn't like James Fenimore Cooper ("How to Tell a Story"). I can get you the quote if you want. (I can't post it; Mr. Clemens' political incorrectness would get me in trouble.)

Oh, and did you mean to have Susan call hubby by boyfriend's name at her final goodbye? "Ryan I'm sorry. You know I do love you."

I did enjoy the tale: it didn't need to be any longer and is enjoyable for what it is. Thank you for sharing it.

OnethirdOnethirdabout 8 years ago
Distance

Nice quick one. Kind of bloodless- the husband is stoic, the wife is clueless. No sympathy for either of them, but things come to a good conclusion. Can't say I'd marry a feisty argumentative woman- had a GF like that once and realized I needed some kindness in my life. Married 30 years now....

Rhsc1Rhsc1about 8 years ago
Good Read, Jed...

Sometimes we have to correct our mistakes. Besides, Redheads are more interesting.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Instead of commenting on other comments...

(Which I would unashamedly LOVE to do)

I have to get right at the story for you.

Simple: Liked it! Good Job! You should be happy with this effort, and the OBVIOUS appreciation of it from your readers. Somebody else pointed out what my favorite part was, but I will echo it, since they were the only one to do so.

Often, novice writers fall into the trap of struggling within the limitations of 1st person storytelling. In order to present a balanced (fairness never promised) accounting of events, many will SWITCH narration POV between characters. For awhile, this didn't bother me that much as a reader, but I have really come to appreciate a narrator voice that STILL manages to be balanced without resorting to that tactic. It seems Carvohi has figured out the secret.

The character has to be identified as thoughtful, and coherent, as they identify the problems and discerns the causes of the marital breaking points and their probable effects. It has to be believable, or credible, at least. But here in this story, we have a wife character that we feel we know pretty well, even though she doesn't get much dialogue (i.e. "on-screen time) of her own. This guy DOES know her pretty well, and as such, is a reliable narrator. As Carvohi takes us through CHASE'S thoughts, where he works things out, the reader is actually given the insight to what was probably going to happen, and then he was proven right, as it actually does go down that way.

So yeah, I liked how you had Chase work this stuff out for himself. Despite one crying jag, it was believable that he could move on without the need for counseling and treatment. So many times, the reader is made to feel like more needed to be said, or deeper introspection was needed. Not here. This might have been basic, but it was enough. It might have been even a little light-hearted, but didn't rely on its own whimsy. Lessons were learnt without resorting to torture devices. Some may have found it boring, but just as many, if not more, found it refreshing.

Thank you very much.

With zero sarcasm intended, you must have been absolutely thrilled for getting favorable praise from Harry. Such a rare gift from him lets you know you really were on the right track here. But plenty of other complimentary AND constructively enlightening comments from the regular crowd here should help to buoy your spirit from any of the comparatively fewer attacks here that it seems no one can avoid...

No matter HOW good the story actually was.

Oh well, Thanks again!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
The narrative had a matter of fact tonality that I really enjoyed. I think Susan was...

...a one-dimensional and sadly uninteresting character. I suppose that was intentional.

It went miles to making the case and his exit strategy work.

I also find it interesting that the sexual powerhouse women in many of these stories is either an Auburn haired beauty, or a Ginger firecracker.

Me, I want babies with every one of them. Not the cheaters or the arrogant shithead ones, but the 'second chance' girls with heat, loyalty, freckles, sex appeal by the pallet load, dedicated, tough minded, femininely gentle, lioness fierce and great hair.

Yup, I want at least five of them in my house and my bed, all pregnant, happy and noisy in Life, fun every day.

Keep this up and you'll soon have a following......

Thank you!

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 8 years ago
No cucks allowed in this story - thank goodness

Comments - I agree with PostScriptor and IronDragon and HIV. This is a well written story. In terms of plot, I really like the ending. Hubby upgraded and wifey ends up pregnant and working at Walmart. Five star story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
About higher Education.

Reminds me of this joke- A Mickey Dee's manager had a quarrel with an employee over where he should work. And friend asked him what it was all about. The manager explained that he had quit because he wanted to work the drive up window. And he felt that because he had a master's degree he should get it. The friend asked, why didn't you let him work it. And the manager answered -" No way that would piss off the PHD that's working that spot." Moral of the story-" To many degrees , Not enough positions!

RhomanovRhomanovalmost 8 years ago
Not bad at all

Flow kind of reminded me of a jolly traffic cop ... directing traffic. Or that weightlifter doing same and posing ... just keep the flow going... move it along... next!

sdc97230sdc97230almost 8 years ago
"One dimensional wife"

It's first person POV, a cheated-on ex-husband recalling the end of his marriage. He doesn't owe her any more dimensions.

HansTrimbleHansTrimblealmost 8 years ago
You don't need our advice

I just re-read 'Cast Your Bread' which has now been posted for three months. In that time it's been picked as a favorite by 31 readers, accumulated 74 comments, and been read over 62,000 times. Fantastic numbers for such a short exposure!

The long-time readers on this site, the ones who write thoughtful comments and punch the 'Favorite Story' button, aren't dumb. They have obviously found this to be a well designed, well written story. I was surprised that it doesn't have a red H yet. To me, it's a slam dunk for 5 stars. Give it a little time -- a lot of the readers who are just looking for graphic accounts of wild sex seem to go after the new stories, while good story telling seems to win out after a year or so.

In your postscript you invited comments on your use of description. One of the best things about this story is that it's not all choked up with unnecessary description. We don't care what kind of a truck you drive or what color roof your house has, because those things don't matter to the flow of the action. You paint the wife as an impressionable bimbo who's blinded by the apparent sophistication of a shallow community college instructor, but rather than come right out and say so, you let her convict herself by her utterances and especially by her actions. You did the same thing with the husband, a carpenter who turns out to be insightful, decisive, and consistent. This is top grade writing -- the way that Hemingway and Maugham did it.

So you don't need to beg for help -- you've already got what it takes, and we can all learn from your example.

Hans

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
amends

I attended a two year college in Helena Montana. A married female writing instructor began thrusting her breasts in my face every day even after i pleaded with her tostop. Sexual harassment follwed by threatenibg tobflunk me despite me 'A' average. I held her off. Next semestr she demanded a schedule change that forced me to be in another of her classes. First month i though she had given up on seducing me, convinced myself that i had imagined hdr interest. An infrequent user of email i began to notice emails rom a mtwldflower which upon opening where rife with innuendo double entendres and a comparative sexual horoscopes subject line 'is this you'

Not know the sender i didn't reply except to ask indentification and verification of intentions. Then began the numerous conversations in the hallways, where she appeared out of no where. Whispers started that i was bothering her. Tried to avoid herto no avail she knew my scheduele and would be waiting outside room as i exitted. Ordered me to meet her for semester review of my work in her empty basement office hour before school opened. Handed me matrial to review placed it on table turned back to her the found mysyelf pinned to desk by her hips as she pressed her breasts into my arm nd kept reaching across me whispering educational comments in my ear. I froze. Door opened her dept head came in just after instructor bcked away. Dept head misread situation and began slanderous commentry to instructor how i could not be trusted and she feared for instructors safety. I had never met dept hed. She knew nothing about me but appearsnces

Next class i told instructor there would be no more meetings or hallway conversations.

INSTRUCTOR TOLD ME IN AUTHORITATIVE TONE THT I WOULD CONTINUE TO MEAT HERE WHENEVER AND WHEREVER SHE TOLD ME TO MEET. IF IBDID AS I WAS TOLD SHE WOULD NOT GO TO DEPT HEAD AND CLAIM I HAD ACCOSTED HER. THE FOLLOWING MONDAY OF THANKSGIVINGWEEKINSTRUCTOR TOLD ME SHE HAD RENTED MOTELROOM FOR WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. SHE WOULD PICK ME UP. THAT MORING I BEGGED HER TOREONSIDER. HRR FIRST GRSNDCHILD HAD BEEN BORN THST MORING. SHE WAS ADAMNT. SOMETIME AFTER THREE-THRITY WE WERE IN RM 205 OF MOTEL SIX AND SHE HAD STIPPED ME OFF, PERFORMED ORAL SE, ENDEDED UP GOING COWGIRL UP FOR HER ORGASMS, INSIDTING I HAVE ONE OF MY OWN. SHE TOOK SHOWER SOMETHING ABOUT UTI IF SHE DIDN'T THEN CAME OUT TOLD ME TO GET UNDRESSED, PERFORMED ORAL THEN LYING SIDEWAYS ON BEDORDER ME TO HAVE UNLUBED NAL SEX. She went nuts describing having my cum in both her holes, hurriedly put on her panties to capture cum. Much later months tht is i found she did this to humilate her third husband whowas a psnty sniffer and her got aroused by the scent while watching her bathe in expectation of his bj. According to her he only got bjs and after a few years she cut him off completely. He has more than enough evidence for divorce she sntinues to have concurrentbaffairs all thebwhile on the hunt for her next stud

Documented n Facebook profile of dearbornmt@yahoo.com

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Boring. Are you writing short stories for English class or x-rated stories about sex?

Old_biker_dudeOld_biker_dudeover 7 years ago
I enjoy most of yours

not this one

Rhinoman1951Rhinoman1951over 7 years ago
What he said!

I was not going to comment, but then I read HansTrimble's. So, all I have to say is "Yeah, what Hans said. "

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Finally

Finally, a character with some balls.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
WHY DID YOU LET RYAN GO FREE

This story is CRAP, SHIT, RUBBISH, WORSE STORY I have ever read That's what someone said about a story written by another Author ( had ya goin didn't it) Truth Time I feel sorry for Susan! As for Ryan Burn Bastard Burn! OH 100 % OF READING ENJOYMENT BYE Greg!

KRD19254KRD19254about 7 years ago

One thing I liked of this story, over most, is that Chase was 'real', he spotted it coming, he prepared, and did not loose his perspective, he saw reality and acted logically even when it rips your guts out. Been there done the same....

I liked the story but for one thing (others have noted), Ryan got a free ride. At least you could have done was kill his job due to morals clause violations with a student or go for alienation-of-affection on the college, get a few bucks for all the grief.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
You learnt who to write a bout a real man

Finally you let your main character grow a pair. He still have some weak moments, but this one is an improvement from your previous lousy reconciliation stories, Just to be clear, I'm not against reconciliation. I've read some really good ones, but I don't like RAAC and yours have been like this so far.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago
Waste of Time

That's what this whole story was. A big waste of time.

MaFreplerMaFreplerabout 7 years ago
You're a good writer, but here you fall into all the usual cliches

The wife is too stupid to be real. She tells husband that she's leaving him, but says that she doesn't want a divorce. Except no sane woman with half a brain would think that she would get away with that. Second, the husband is the the cliched combination of coward and asshole, who doesn't want to fight for his marriage and doesn't want to confront wife. Also, he's pretty unemotional for a guy being told that she's leaving him. It's okay if he wanted out before learning of the affair, but if it's the affair that breks up the marriage then he's a pretty cold fish. The result is that we don't care about the characters and the story is uninvolving.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
FINALLY

Your a very good and imaginative storyteller. You have a gift for developing believable characters but then you somehow drift off into la la land and have them behaving unrealistically, sometimes just plain stupidly.

This one though simple is at least believable.

Now try to build on this new reality and use your gifts by telling some more stories with more sophisticated plots.

I know you can do it !!

Schwanze1Schwanze1almost 7 years ago
Trapped her

I thought that was funny.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
SHOT THROUGH THE HEART AND YOUR TO BLAME DARLING YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME

My title is a song fucked if I know who sings it but it fits here.

Question Are some Women that STUPID? Must be hey! Don't know Don't care

All Women will fuck elsewhere if given the opportunity or chance!

So I have the four F's FIND, FINGER , FUCK, FORGET.

THANKS FOR SHARING THIS STORY WITH US

LOVE YOU ALL! GREG.

OH 100 % OF READING ENJOYMENT BYE.

tazz317tazz317almost 7 years ago
#2 THE OLD 4 F SAYING IS

Find em.....Feed em.....Fuck em......Forget em...... very sexist, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
well written

great story and well developed characters .

thanks for this

5*

YvesmiYvesmialmost 7 years ago
Too easy

Ginger just accepted, just like that? No pride at all?

boatbummboatbummover 6 years ago
What bruce22 Said....

....This scenario plays out quite often IRL! Spouse works full time to support the student spouse in his/her academic pursuits, and shortly after graduation the "upgrade" process starts.... (I have no gender bias here, it cuts both ways in my experience.)

Nicely told, and for those who doubt that Chase and Ginger could hit it off on a dinner date after several years apart, believe it! I knew after our first meeting/dinner date that I was going to marry my wife -- over 20 years now and still smiling, snuggling, grab-assing and spooning! ;-)

weathermanksweathermanksabout 6 years ago
Sad

Not the way I'd have like it to end.

anonymousinblueanonymousinblueabout 6 years ago
Cool

Alright, it was short but was sufficient. Honestly, the stories are entertaining, but the idea that this could be found erotic in any way is frightful.

I'm going to nitpick and say that the story's self-awareness was a bit too much in the beginning, and my threshold for accepting this was breeched when the narrator said he was rambling and going to get to it. Fuck it. If it needs an excuse, don't write it, or write it better. Do it live! But the other parts that were narrator reflection were OK. And seriously, does it matter if he weighs 120 lbs or 820? It might make for some floorboard jokes. Now, I will comment on how you described Ginger. You had the physical features and the fashion parts. I didn't realize it until re-reading something for writing this comment that I subconsciously skipped the part describing her clothes. I guess clothes are less interesting than the shape of a nose, and whether and when her nostrils flare, and the symmetry or asymmetry, evidence of previous fights, and whether it whistles when she breathes in deeply. I dont think I would have wanted to read about nosehair hygiene, however.

This dude is pretty funny I would have to admit. Drumming his fingers for 5 minutes to regain composure while simultaneously making her crack? Ah, that Fletcher dude was a wimp. He should have broken it off when he saw that he was going to have to take her full time, and that's obviously not what he wanted. It would have made things interesting, too. I wonder what s...su...su-27...whatever her name is would have done then. Ha ha ha!

I don't know how much it was meant to be so, but Ginger was not very endearing. I'm not sure they even stock people like her on the shelves anymore. Something was probably said about something good about her, but it was immemorable if it was. I mostly remember the near-hostile truthiness in their verbal exchange. But yeah, his answers were good enough that it didn't seem like a rank mistake.

penneydog55penneydog55almost 6 years ago
Yeah

I married a Red Head, Fiery as hell!...In the sack-She takes You to Heaven via Cloud 9

Now My Thoughts on this Story!.....Short and to the Point (Sounds like a Cuckies jellybean) Anyway that's my Comment 5 Stars ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ WOOF!

Oh Oh Oh! ...You Know Jerry Springer would have loved this? JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! (I can't help myself) See Ya!

ErotFanErotFanover 5 years ago
Nice little story.

A nice diversion from your better stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

Some of your characters drive me crazy, and that is the sign of an engaging story. Thanks for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Liked it but

Why did she tell Ryan she was sorry and loved him as she and Ryan were leaving? Also, she deserved a little more payback than a job at Wal-Mart. At least let Ginger bring her to tears with a nanny nanny boo boo!!!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
No

No more payback needed.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous