Centuries Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Vice President Burke was introduced by Hospital Administrator Tony Warner, eldest son of Seth and Joanne Warner. Vice President Burke waxed eloquent on the virtues of motherhood and the importance of gifts to the field of medicine, a political speech all the way. Then he introduced Todd, whom everyone expected to make the big reveal.

"Teresa was my wife," Todd said as he assumed the podium, "but I'm not the one to do this. This one belongs to the great man Teresa admired the most, that we all admire... the First Iron Crowbar. Uncle Don, would you please come up here and make this happen?"

Everyone there applauded politely as I made my way up to the podium. "Thank you, Todd. Thank you, Mr. Warner." I said, not saying the expected thanks to Vice President Burke. "It was Teresa's generosity, but also her leadership that has made this Hospital into the premiere research hospital in the Nation!" Applause.

"Teresa deserves more than a statue in a park, or even just her name on a building." I went on. "Only a living monument that continues to give hope to our children as she gave hope to us for so long, is good enough for the greatness of her heart. So without further ado... roll it up!"

The banner at the top of the Hospital began rolling up, to reveal the lighted blue lettering across the top of the wall, which said:

TERESA CROYLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL

Everyone stood and applauded for long moments. A few astute Detectives noticed that Cindy was openly crying... and so was I...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Cindy and I went in to the remodeled front lobby, walking slowly amongst the other guests. On the left side wall was a large portrait of Teresa, in her formal Town & County Police Chief uniform, with the Medal of Valor around her neck. It was one of Marie Steele's very best works.

There were other photos of Teresa on display for today, taken over the years. The old photo of her and Alexis as teenagers having won their race was one of them, next to the photo of Teresa and Cindy after they'd won the Triathlon together.

"That one is my favorite." I said, pointing to the photo of Cindy, Tanya, and Teresa side-by-side-by-side, their hands in a prayer or Namaste formation, taken during a most very special occasion. My three Angels...

We went on through the glass doors on the other side. What had been the front porch of the Hospital was now an enclosed little park. The flat, polished granite block with Teresa's name, birth and death dates, and her accolades was lying before us; Teresa's ashes had been entombed here. A ring of poles with a chain running through them, forming a circle barely three feet off the ground, marked off the grave.

At the foot of the gravestone was the Eternal Flame, not unlike President Kennedy's at his grave. The Eternal Flame here now represented Teresa's undying Spirit, and her eternal hope that this Hospital that now bore her name would in her memory cure every child that came here.

And behind the head of the gravestone was a statue of two Angels... an exact replica of the one at Ward Harvester Park, but the girls's faces etched in even greater relief and more easily recognizable. Amy and Alexis would forever watch over Teresa.

"This is... so nice." Cindy said as she held onto my arm. "I can feel her presence, still here."

I nodded. "As long as that Flame burns bright, and this Hospital saves children's lives, she is here. And, Lord willing, she'll be here... for Centuries..."

"Some legends are told
Some turn to dust or to gold
But you will remember me
Remember me for centuries

And just one mistake
Is all it will take
We'll go down in history
Remember me, for centuries..."

Finis.