All Comments on 'Chasing The Last Road To Stockholm'

by SleeperyJim

Sort by:
  • 99 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Wow.

What a great story. I even got a calculator out to figure what 10164 /24 was!

MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraabout 4 years ago

This was an amazing read. So freaking good. I read the whole thing in one sitting and am probably going to have to read it again at some point because I really, really enjoyed it.

BBeinhartBBeinhartabout 4 years ago
This is

Absolutely fantastic stuff!!!

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 4 years ago

Good story but I wish it was released in multiple parts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

very well written

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleabout 4 years ago
Well... Challenge was accepted, completed, and triumphant.

17 pages. One of the longest single stories I have ever read on this site. And I had to finish it in one sitting.

Your creation of the song writer was exceptional. Early on, before I realised they were fictional, I intended to use the lyrics to find the songs on the web, I needed to know the tunes. If it turns out that you have created a melody to match all those descriptive, imaginative and diverse lyrics, I will be astounded beyond belief. That's not a challenge in itself, just a statement.

The adventure itself lived up to every expectation I have of you as an author.

I waited for this story event, and on discovering it's arrival, I scanned the list for my intended first read... your contribution. I couldn't be pleased enough, you have delivered. And you have done so in spades.

And all, from an inspiration that was to be another of your 'Conversations'?

I am sure it would have been another excellent work, but to have this story not developed into what it now is would have been an injustice.

You sit at the pinnacle of authors on this site, along with Randi, Todd and a few select others.

I can't thank you enough for your contribution, and all your work, delivered to the masses free of charge. It's astounding.

You have set a very high mark, I look forward to reading the other works in this event, in the hope that I am rewarded by other people's gift of talent to us lesser beings.

I expect this one to be very close to the top in the Hall of Fame. If it isn't, then it's a reflection on the audience. Nothing less.

Thank you from a humble reader.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Brilliant

Simply fantastic. As for those who whine about multiple parts... ignore that noise.

Its called a bookmark people. No one forced you to read it through. No one forced you to leave the page open so you could find your spot. Jesus, its not difficult .

Well done Jim. Some of the offerings for the event have been meh. Not yours!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
White Knight Shit Knight

Crap story, 1*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Ignore the critics

This is a great story. The last page or so lags a bit, but overall this is an unquestionable five. Marvelous creativity.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great Story

I wish I could have given it 10 STARS! Fun, scary, enticing, confusing, hot - all attributes that make it impossible to stop reading.

KyoSpiceKyoSpiceabout 4 years ago
Bloody hell awesome!

I really enjoyed reading that! A few twists and turns, some good and some bad, and entertaining the whole way! Good show!

tangledweedtangledweedabout 4 years ago

I am slowly making my way through these stories and was gobsmacked by this one. Everything worked and the length was no issue at all. i don't doubt there is a publishable book that could be made out of this.

Is proposing at a wedding another British thing? I thought it was considered to be rude, in that you distract from the bride on her wedding day.

InfiniteCycleInfiniteCycleabout 4 years ago
As to anony 03/18/20 "white knight shit knight"...

You're supporting my assertion. A low score is a reflection on the reader.

Ok, so you can't please everybody, I'm sure there isn't one writer on the planet that doesn't have detractors. But 1 star? That's just funny.

Go back to reading UKResearcher, bud. You'll be happy there.

As for the story, the aggregate score is going pretty much exactly as I expected. After a few thousand reads, it will still be up there.

Bebop3Bebop3about 4 years ago

Excellent story, Sleepery. You've created characters that I want to spend more time with. Kudos.

BigJohn601BigJohn601about 4 years ago
A pleasant surprise allthough a long one....

First time reader of your stories and I was very entertained. Looking forward to future postings. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
I enjoyed it tremendously

That was the other, excellent side of what Brit writing is.

Dankeschön, großartig, fünf Sterne !

ps. please come back, soon. Your 28th star is treasured in our hearts my brothers and sisters, Bitte.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 4 years ago
Brilliant Indeed

Talk about a damsel in distress - I think Summer's ordeal tops the list. Very powerful story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Really Good!

Romantic and funny too-very funny in places. I don't give 5 stars (I save them for Hilary Mantel) but for this one I might make an exception.

SplitGeode66SplitGeode66about 4 years ago

Wow! What an engaging story. 5+++

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing this marvelous (not so) little tale. I hope, however, this does not indicate the last of the Conversations.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 4 years ago
Long and winding road

Helluva story

nthusiasticnthusiasticabout 4 years ago

Loved the Length!

OMG, what a joy to be able to read a complete story from start to finish of a length allowing character development without getting chopped up into snippets. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I wish, however, for the missing chapter; you know, the one that followed Summer from the time she walked out between those two men. Who were they? What happened with her Godmother? What happened with the Kansas hospital?

stev2244stev2244about 4 years ago

Simply one of the best stories on this site. Outstanding.

PowersworderPowersworderabout 4 years ago

Wow, that was a rollercoaster of a story!

I loved the characters and the budding romance between them on their road trip. I think that's what made Summer's rape and abuse by Murdoch when he captured her again so deeply disturbing.

"I thought it was considered to be rude, in that you distract from the bride on her wedding day."

Yeah it's really crass and an awful thing to do to the bride. It's a shame, because it makes Bryn and Summer seem like a couple of selfish arseholes.

I didn't like the epilogue for a couple of other reasons, the main one being that it never addressed the plot against Summer. I wanted to find out what exactly happened to the perpetrators. For a 17 page story, this deserved a proper conclusion.

I also think a better ending would have had the two of them already married and Summer pregnant with Bryn's baby. Phoebe lying about her pregnancy and fake miscarriage showed how fake their relationship was... Summer giving him children would have resonated that this was the real deal. There's a reason so many romance stories/movies end that way. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Wow Jim you punched the first class ticket here.

When I saw 17 pages I saved yours for last because I knew it would get read in one go. Yeah baby! Could have been a full novel with the wonderful bsckstories...even 17 pages didn't do justice to your work. Thank you for the journey!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
epic

Epic story jim thanks for all the work you put into it

ohioohioabout 4 years ago
I take my hat off in admiration

Immensely rich, absorbing, tense--I could barely even read the horrific scene with Murdock, got through it as fast as I could. But I also loved the slower, less tense, meandering parts, such as the first couple of chapters. Everything about it was a pleasure to read.

Thanks so much, ohio

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 4 years ago
Your were right

It is incredibly long, but really good. The british humor through the first several pages were quite funny. Too bad it kind of disappeared and became serious after that. It is a really great femme fatale story. I loved it. Thanks.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 4 years ago
Great story

Funny characters contrasting well with pure evil. You could feel the pain as well as the pleasure. A really good romantic drama with enough sassy characters to balance the horror and tempered with some nice gentle humour. Great stuff, pulled off with aplomb.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
SO GOOD!!!!

This was just unbelievably good. Thank you so much! 10 stars. [What do you mean there's only a possible 5??!!!!]

(I do feel obliged to point out the only spelling mistake I noticed: On several occasions you had "lead", where it should have been "led")

Gomez333Gomez333about 4 years ago
Nitpicking

Overall very enjoyable read 5* from me, one little niggle, on P2 you say her eyes were green, and then when they meet up again you say they are violet!! At least you can see I was paying attention. Thanks for your efforts.

DFWBeastDFWBeastabout 4 years ago
Outstanding!

Thank you! It was a wonderful little ride.

Killian

Wh00sherWh00sherabout 4 years ago

Definite 5x story. I don't mind putting in the necessary reading time when a story develops characters and the plot as well as this does.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

Bravo! A grate read for a cloudy Sunday 5*

Looking forward to your next novel;)

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Superb

Absolutely loved everything about.

patilliepatillieabout 4 years ago
Mr Jim

I believe that is y our tour de force, your magnum opus if you will. Very nicely done. Your handle on British culture is excellent (to this American). The story was entertaining and flowed wonderfully quick despite the 17 pages of narrative.

The depth of the characters, the explanation of and detail re places and events, was wonderful. I was cringing and reading as fast as possible thru the Murdoch torture scene.

Easy 5*, this rivals Conversations #17 as your best work, although I havent read Dreamboat and now you are forcing me to do that with the quality of your writing.

Pls post more stories!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

A fantastic read. Thanks for sharing.

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 4 years ago
Kept me entertained

From the first scene to the end. Thank you for your hard work. I could picture the characters and felt as if I was there. Hard to do, but you succeeded. The only draw back is now my wife is mad at me. I had a small list of honey-dos and ignored them until I finished your story in one sitting.

Thanks again.

Woodmanone

DistantConstellationDistantConstellationabout 4 years ago

Do more like this!!!!!!!!!!!

calgarycamperscalgarycampersabout 4 years ago
Just WOW

Great story!

Thank you for sharing.

TexdomTexdomabout 4 years ago
Thank you

For a wonderful story. I do love a story with character and man did you deliver. Summer was an awesome character and pairing her up with someone foreign to the country was an excellent plan. One of the best I have seen on this site. Please add more!

IainmoreIainmoreabout 4 years ago
Congrats

Well done on your win dude.

leemacca1975leemacca1975about 4 years ago
Brilliant

Never commented on anything before but that was very good. Thanks for writing

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyabout 4 years ago
Wonderful reading

Don’t listen to critics - especially anonymous.

Write what you want to write! You had been doing fine by me with your writing since I would read it as soon as it was out. NOW you have gone and showed how you can Really write at a higher level.

Definitely 5 stars and I am favoriting it - to read again!!! Highest praise I can give a story!!!

Yes you could complain it is long but you were warned at beginning so readers fault if didn’t comprehend! I had to read this in several settings but never lost the story and was pleased to read It all. Feel free to write more long stories if you feel the urge!

Please do keep writing and I will keep reading.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great!

Wonderfully done. So often a great story is partly ruined by bad spelling and grammar. None of that for you. You’ve made a new fan.

pubebarberpubebarberabout 4 years ago
Great great story telling

I stumbled over this story and started it based on your introduction. After the first chapter I was hooked, could not stop reading, thank you for a great read.

desikdesikalmost 4 years ago
Goblin rocks!!!

Dude you killed the shit!!!That was awesome!! You got me on the edge of the seat!!Great job!Congrats!!!Well-deserved prize!

chastenchastenalmost 4 years ago

Absolutely excellent!

jezzazjezzazalmost 4 years ago

This is one of the best things I’ve seen on this site.

Really incredible.

As a Brit in the USA for the past 30 years, I totally get a lot of this.

Really great stuff. Well done.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimalmost 4 years agoAuthor
AUTHOR'S COMMENT

Thanks for all the comments, good and bad.

I do agree that the ending seems precipitous, and that details that would have been interesting to explore were left out. This was actually deliberate for two reasons: the deadline was drawing ever-nearer as the story was getting ever-bigger, and that there is the possibility of a sequel. I fell in love with the characters, and wondered whether another visit to subsequent times might work. I'm wearing the Sorting Hat at the moment and trying to sort out arcs and plot lines.

Ah, the problems that arise from falling in love with a goblin...

(And yes, I had forgotten they were playing at a wedding and not a normal gig, and it was a bum thing to do to have him propose at that moment. This will be redressed if the sequel comes to life. :} )

RRC2RRC2almost 4 years ago
Great Great Story

This is a great story, I loved it. It was long, but worth every word. And you filled the story with little jewels that had nothing to do with anything but are wonderful, like the Magna Carta or Mum's kiss off to Phoebe.

THANKS

LeFrog08LeFrog08almost 4 years ago

Well Then, dear author, this reader is eagerly

awaiting any sequel with these two.

Well written, thank you.

LeFrog

ArcTalyxArcTalyxalmost 4 years ago
Regarding Writing Chops

If anyone questions your writing chops after readings this story, they need to be buried with Murdoch. That was a really engaging story, and even the lyrics were simple but added so much to the story. Knowing the story behind the lyrics took them from the superficial quality many pop songs represent currently into something of real substance and value. All around an enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Better

That was better than High Tea on a summers day!

Could only find 5 gold stars so here's the missing 5.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 4 years ago
Great, Simply Great

A lot of detail and perhaps sometimes too much but, hey, what a fantastic tale overall. Well done throughout. Nice to read from UK perspective, eg. all the different contexts of the uses of 'piss' - am sure there's a joke in there somewhere. Loved Summer's cockney speech to the police officer. Def 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Fin J

Just so good

NitpicNitpicalmost 4 years ago
Missing

Even though it was far too long,it still left out what happened to Summer after she got in the car with the three men, who was responsible for her being sectioned and did she get control of her trust.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimalmost 4 years agoAuthor
@Nitpic

I don't usually respond directly to a comment, but I'm gobsmacked that you thought "It was far too long." When is a novel far too long? It's as long as it's supposed to be, surely. It's in the Novels and Novellas section, so I never claimed it was a short story, so what were you expecting? Surely even a glance at the page selector would have shown you how long the story was. So, if you didn't actually want to read a novel, why keep going? I don't mind readers pointing out their opinions of the story, or where I have made an error - in fact I welcome it ... when they make sense.

Plus, if it's already too long, why are you demanding it be longer by adding details that don't really matter to the essential story. I could add them in, and probably will at some stage in a rewrite, but surely adding more pages to a novel that's "far too long" would make it even longer and thus incur more of your disapproval.

Good nom-de-plume by way. Very fitting.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
Excellent Story

The story was great and not that long. Disclaimers at the beginning were unnecessary. I am curious why you used them, perhaps a worry about criticism? If that is the case ignore the criticism unless maybe its constructive.

I have no criticism of you writing is was well done and kept me glued to my recliner until 2am when I needed to go bed without finishing. It would have been interesting to have read about what happened to the big law firm and paralegal working there and other conspirators trying to get the Trust.

Great story, excellent writing. Keep it up.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 3 years ago

Wow! Extremely enjoyable, a very complex story, very well told. It certainly spanned genres. The use of lyrics throughout did a great job of setting tones.

UncleGrahamUncleGrahamover 3 years ago
Fanfrickentastic (excuse my Tasmanian phraseology)

Up there with the best of the best. Brilliant read, brilliant characterisation. Simply the best story on here just now.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
You're right: Nitpic is a NITWIT

Loved the comedy, the drama, and the pathos.

Keep up the good work.

DanabooksDanabooksover 3 years ago
Made me stay up late again!

Just as good the second or was it third time... no skimming, have to read every word.

BigDee44BigDee44over 3 years ago

Dang! Why did I hit the number 4 star instead of 5? I loved this story and your writing. I really like this: “Aren't you not sure you really don't want to delete none of the contents on the secondary drive?* I know this is purposely ambiguous, but it reminds me of real prompts that were not supposed to be ambiguous, but surely were to me! And they are inevitably answered incorrectly, don’t you know.

SweboSweboover 3 years ago

That was awesome. I am in awe. Well done. Not perfect -- maybe a bit slow to build, takes some time to find it's groove, and that cabin scene is almost shockingly brutal -- but who the fuck cares with an ending like that. Your characters -- even minor ones -- shine. Nice job.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Strange story

Hero doesn't know about Android phone. Doesn't know about cars. Knows coding to make his own auto tuner but is not a coder, writes songs for a living. When he is a foreigner and injured, doesn't contact his Embassy.

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 3 years agoAuthor
@Anonymous 'Strange Story' (AUTHOR'S COMMENT)

You may not have picked up a few things from the story:

"Hero doesn't know about Android phone." Yes, he does, but just hasn't needed to use one until his first trip away - to America. He had no friends for so long that a landline is fine for him. An Android phone is not a status symbol to everyone.

"Doesn't know about cars." No, he doesn't care about cars - there's a difference. Not everyone is a car buff, especially in countries where public transport is more common.

"Knows coding to make his own auto tuner but is not a coder, writes songs for a living." This one puzzled me. In his case, he was making a lot of money from songwriting, so why would he want to become a coder instead? I know code and can write programs, but the thought of having to do it for a living would be a nightmare. I also know chemistry, bookkeeping and layout designing - and I don't want to do those professionally either. They are hobbies at best. I think most people have hobbies, but I would guess a large percentage wouldn't want to rely on them for providing an income.

"When he is a foreigner and injured, doesn't contact his Embassy." Contacting an Embassy is all well and good, but when in deep trouble (such as being accused of murder), most people would first contact someone they know who could organise a really good lawyer. I've worked in a Consulate, and I know that the wheels work efficiently, but a lot slower than he needed. More importantly, placing things in the hands of officialdom may very well have seen Summer placed back in the mental hospital from which she'd escaped - even temporarily. And that would have been a disaster at best. She would have protested and tried to explain, but who believes wild tales from someone who has run away from a mental institution and is linked to a violent death?

penneydog55penneydog55over 3 years ago

Absolutely Beautiful Story..Yes I've read equal but never better...

I would love to award the stars in the sky, but alas I'm only allowed 5☆☆☆☆☆

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Beautiful Opus...

WargamerWargamerover 3 years ago

Great story, really loved it.

Scores a well deserved 5/5 from me.

A_BierceA_Bierceabout 3 years ago

10164/24 = 423.5

About a year and a couple of months. I had to check it too, the story gripped me that much. Another tour de force by SJ.

SparkyblueoneSparkyblueonealmost 3 years ago

Excellent. That's all there is to say.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Second time around for me and this story is still excellent.

TonyspencerTonyspenceralmost 3 years ago

Excellent story, one of the best of the best on this site. Thank you.

SkubabillSkubabillalmost 3 years ago

I read a lot of SJ in Loving Wives and he is a favorite but this blows away anything else of his I've read. The question now is how can I ever give his stories five stars again since that's all I can give this one and it deserves so much more?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Best story I've read this year

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Rich, vivid and etched perfectly.

Loved this

stoicfiendstoicfiendover 2 years ago
This was a well written story

This was a well written story and character development was excellent. The end felt too rushed though and it glossed over some stuff....like what happened with the godmother and lawfirm people who had summer committed and moved to kansas after he got the goblin saved and exposed the plot to get her money. The epilogue was a bit over the top with them both suddenly being good musicians and then the proposal didn't seem well timed at all....kind of shitty to do at someone elses party/reception which kind of didn't fit the character's especially after Bryn made such a big deal over manners and the hotel towels and these being relatively brand new friends. Still 5 stars despite me being knit picky.

apollo_XIapollo_XIover 2 years ago

Absolutely one of the best stories I have read on here.

Definitely deserving of the top prize. Your characters were believable and the development of the story was spot - on. I found the part on Murdoch's kidnapping a little far-fetched, but I read for the enjoyment not to criticize (too much). A wonderful piece of work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

How the hell did Murdoch get ahead of them and set up for an ambush? I realize you're going for drama but that was going a bit far. And where did the lumber trucks go?

Otherwise a very good read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Have to agree with Anonymous from 25 days ago, how did Murdoch get ahead of them and set up such an elaborate roadblock? It's the biggest flaw to an otherwise great story. Though I would have liked more "getting to know each other" on the back end of the story. So many of these stories just wrap up with protestations of love and no need to clean up the issues, rediscover each other, etc.

A_BierceA_Bierceover 2 years ago

Third reading.

It's a Chateaux Margaux, just keeps getting better and better. You gave us a Magnum, I wished for a Jeroboam.

AFoolRushesInAFoolRushesInover 2 years ago

Wonderfully well crafted. Laughter, tears, tension all woven together in a marvelous tale.

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyover 2 years ago

So good. I couldn’t put it down and lost some sleep. So well written. Such a great read. Thank-you for your talent

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Somehow, the ending failed. I don't see him upstaging a bride at her wedding with his own proposal. That is in very poor taste and Bryn isn't clueless. Otherwise, great story.

texquilltexquillover 2 years ago

This is an amazing work. Thanks so much for sharing with us. Certainly 5 GOLD stars!!

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

Excellent story! These are the ones we wait for, hope for. Very well done, Mate! 5 BIG FAT FUCKING STARS and a BIG thank you!

OldmantruckerOldmantruckerabout 2 years ago

Short and simple; I liked it. Took Abit to decipher some comments. But it Was based on an Englishman after all. So " no worries mate"!

PurplefizzPurplefizzalmost 2 years ago

That was the billy bollocks! You had me pissing myself with the dialogue, my favourite was “sarcasm to Olympic level”, just awesome, 5/5 ⭐️ Definitely worth more than a 20% tip btw.

Many thanks for writing and posting, cheers Ppfzz.

Mojo648Mojo648almost 2 years ago

So, beside the quick ending and (I guess the occasional jump into a few song lines that I found a little distracting), plus Bryn's wrong time to propose to summer, (next day wouldve been better).

What ever couldve happened in that year apart? Or at least explained better,

otherwise,

Good story,

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a beautiful romantic story. The characters, except Murdoch, were wonderful. The story was well written and but for the bits of lyrics for which I had no tune, easy to understand. I really loved Summer and Bryan. Great mix of cultures.

VeracityHeterodyneVeracityHeterodyneover 1 year ago

Enjoyed. I would like to have heard a little more as to who instigated Summer's incarceration.

I was expecting that the song "unifying fans of many nations into one huge voice" was going to be titled "Fucking Phoebe."

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

An amazing story.

Thanks for the effort and creativity that went into it. Great characters and character development, including the flashbacks.

-jog

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

A very well written story.

Plenty of character development.

Plenty of unexpected twists and turns to the story.

Plenty of humour.

Plenty of background information, well his anyway.

Plenty of action.

Plenty of suspense.

Plenty of ordinary people just doing their own thing in an unusual situation.

Fortunately a dearth of super heroes or super studs or silly sub par sluts.

One of the most memorable and enjoyable stories I have read on Lit.

Thank you very much from a grateful reader.

Ravey19Ravey1911 months ago

Second read of this excellent romance. Only a couple of little issues ie how did Murdoch get ahead of them and what happened to the lumber trucks supposedly behind them. Thought perhaps a little more detail on Summer's last year as she put herself together again. But, hey, why am I reading 17 pages again - because it's a great story.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

555555

5

5555

5

5

5

5

5

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous