Chocolate and Gold Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Charlie was visibly excited. "Mrs. Wong, can you tell us about what else you have planned?"

"Of course, but I would ask that you wait until Friday. I have a presentation that will show you our current product lines and potential new lines. Naturally, we will need the board's approval to proceed."

Charlie nodded, albeit reluctantly. I think she was looking for instant gratification of her curiosity. I'd never seen her so excited, even with some of her crazy causes. Mrs. Wong then went on to explain the contacts Mr. Yee Fung had made in Asia. These were not agents, but manufacturers, and we were an important outlet in North America for several of them.

In addition, the company was on the lookout for new opportunities. Products that were in the prototype or development stage that we might take to our manufacturers. First to market would mean first to profit. Charlie was literally bouncing in her seat. I had to admit, it was fascinating and far more interesting that I had envisioned. The optimism Mr. Yee Fung had expressed wasn't looking so misplaced right now.

We thanked Mrs. Wong and walked out after confirming the Friday morning meeting to begin at ten. As we pushed through the front doors, Charlie literally exploded.

"That was fucking fantastic! That woman is amazing! This company is amazing! Harry, we've got to get our shit together and make this work. It's too good not to be a winner."

"Calm down, Charlie," I laughed. "Anyone would think you give a damn. Besides, this business already is a winner."

"I know, I know. I'm supposed to be the anti-business demon, but this place has marvelous potential. That's what I wanted to talk about on Friday. I have a friend who's invented something fucking incredible. It's a high efficiency solar energy panel. He's applied for a patent. It could revolutionize power supply, especially in third world countries. It could be worth billions!"

I'd never seen her this revved up. From hard-line protester to entrepreneur in one step was a shock to the system. On the other hand, I could also see where some of the energy could come from to make the company go.

"Okay, Charlie. Let's put it on the agenda under new business. If you can put something tangible together for the board, that is."

"Already done! You've got to see this, Harry."

I was chuckling as we went to our cars and began to work our way through rush hour traffic homeward. Charlie would battle the Bay Bridge to Berkeley, and I would creep my way down Highway 101 to San Mateo. I had almost forgotten what Bay area traffic was like, not that Seattle was any better.

As I drove south, I couldn't help but think of how energizing our meeting with Mrs. Wong had been. Not just for Charlie, but for me as well. I was much more interested than I thought I would be. By the time I had reached Mike and Jeannie's home, it was after five-thirty and knowing Mike wouldn't be home for another half hour, I called Vannie on her cell phone before talking to my sister and brother-in-law. She picked up on the second ring.

"Hey girl, how are you?"

"Lonely, Harry. I miss you so much. When are you coming home?"

"I've got a meeting with the board on Friday and I'll know better after that, Vannie. I'm sorry, but this is important family business, and I can't avoid it or put it off."

"I know, I know. It's just that I've only just found you, and already you're gone again. Do you miss me too?"

"Of course I do. I won't let us be apart for one second longer than I have to. Believe me on that."

"I do. How did your meeting with that lady go?"

"Great. Mrs. Wong is very knowledgeable and a big part of the business. I have a feeling she's going to be very important to our finding a solution for the future. And my sister, Charlie. Vannie, you wouldn't believe it. She's all charged up about the business. It's like she's a different person. She's even got some ideas for new products. That's the last thing I expected."

"I thought she was all caught up in her political lefty stuff?"

"She was. Maybe she still is, but she sure fooled me today. Friday's meeting is going to be very interesting."

We talked some more until I heard Mike come in. Vannie and I had a few last words of affection, and signed off. I walked to the kitchen and greeted Mike and the kids. He looked fresh, but perhaps that was because he took the Caltrain from downtown and walked the half mile to his house.

"So, what did you learn at the meeting?" Mike began as we enjoyed a pre-meal glass of wine.

I pulled out the recorder and handed it to him. "There it is, word for word. The only thing missing is Charlie's comments afterwards. I'll leave it to you to guess her opinion when you've heard the recording.

Mike stuck an ear bud in one ear and set the little device to play. I was watching for his reaction and I could see his surprise and occasionally his grin as something struck him funny. We took time out for our meal and avoided conversation until the children were off in their rooms doing their homework.

We gathered around the kitchen table after the dishes were looked after and Mike replayed the soundtrack, this time using the unit's speaker. Jeannie was just as fascinated with Mrs. Wong's comments and Charlie's reaction as we were. I filled in some details as we went along, but generally let the recording tell the story.

"Well," I asked as the segment ended, "What do you make of that?"

"Fascinating," Mike said. "Friday is going to be a very interesting day."

I nodded my agreement.

"Are you sure that was Charlie?" Jeannie asked with a strange look. "I can't believe that was her. Is she on drugs? I thought she would trash this whole thing and stomp off. I'm amazed at what I heard."

I laughed aloud. "That was her all right. You should have heard her in the parking lot. She couldn't stop talking about it. She apparently has this contact who is developing a patentable device for low-cost high-output solar energy production. She promised to bring the details on Friday. She was literally a foot off the ground when we parted."

Mike was sitting back and saying little, but was obviously deep in thought. "This company of ours may just be the vehicle for big things, you know. Hell, it's already paid for this house and most of the kids' college education. Maybe I'll get to retire early and play golf every day after all."

That got him an elbow in the ribs from Jeannie, and the end of that train of thought. All of us agreed we were really looking forward to the meeting on Friday. On Wednesday and Thursday, I took some time to do a little sightseeing, take in a baseball game, catch up on my e-mails, and of course, talk to Vannie. She had picked up on my buoyant mood, but it didn't seem to be contagious.

I didn't want to say any more about our future until after the Friday meeting. That would give me a clearer idea of what to expect in the coming weeks and months. I was rolling some ideas around in my head including bringing her out here, perhaps for a visit, or possibly to stay. That brought up the question of making our relationship permanent. Two very large issues to be dealt with. Which one was the more pressing? The business, I thought.

12