All Comments on 'Christmas Cookies'

by GatorRick

Sort by:
  • 30 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

Even though this is a story of fiction, a similar story actually occurred. Some close friends of mine had this happen during the Vietnam War. They wrote to each other for one year. Six weeks after he returned from Vietnam, they were engaged. They are still married. Very good premise and a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Any US Soldier

Neat story.

I'll just pass along that the US military will NOT deliver packages, cards, letters, etc to "Any US Soldier". For security reasons, they are not delivered, and I assume, tossed in the trash. I offer no comment on the sanity of this practice.

However, a little internet searching will reveal several reputable organizations that can put you in charge with a soldier in need of a little TLC. We have adopted numerous servicemen and women over the years, and it is a very rewarding feeling.

One year we went wild at the Dollar Store, and sent the complete fixin's for a Halloween party. The pictures and the Official Commendation we received from the CO are personal treasures.

bruce22bruce22over 10 years ago
Lots of Fun

At least this one lasted more than a year before they got married. The family name seems to the author's favorite.

doodlesdaddoodlesdadover 10 years ago
First, third persons

Avoid jumping about in first and third persons unless you put in section breaks that indicate change in POV.

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 10 years ago
As a Navy Corpsman 1956-1957 I got a little tearful a time or two.

And as a SEC fan since childhood I welcome GatorRick to the Brotherhood. For various reasons I have different favorites in the SEC: Arkansas (from there), LSU (lived in LA 1990-1999), MS State (live in MS now), TN and AL (lived in TN a few years, my children married TN and my youngest son lives in BHM and still likes TN but I like the AL football team because they are usually the best). I get a lot of static from my kids but that is what kids and grandkids and great-grandkids are for! Thank you for writing such good stories, GatorRick.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
LUCKY MAN,,ALWAYS

Your stories have the same plots,,,injured soldier,in love with a stranger who just happens to have a rich family with strings they can pull and are always a hero..its ok once in a while,,,,but i guess this is something close to your heart,or had happen to you,,,,and they are always from UF,,,,yeah,i live in Gville,fla,wish you good luck and more varity in writing,,,

chytownchytownover 10 years ago
Very Warm Story****

It works for me so I ask you to keep them coming. Thanks for sharing.

dave_magicdave_magicover 10 years ago
You have NO Idea

As a former service person, your stories bring back so many memories and you have captured moments that can not be explained in words or expressions. Many a Christmases I would stay in my bunk while in the service and remember those holidays of Christmas and Thanksgiving as we were going up. That kept us going, thank you for expression thoughts that we could not.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Great story, I like, although I'm definitely not a republican

Politics wise I'm not American and talking politics would say I am democrat; and as much as possible as it can be, left wing in the UK.

I still get this story, even if it doesn't match my own politics

Yet_Another_UserYet_Another_Userover 8 years ago
Great Story

I recently ran across this story - linked from the end of another story - and am glad that I did as I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Elements that I liked:

- Over all story arc - love for a wounded hero

- Good use of language

- A good sense of milieu - both military and social - giving us enough detail without burying us in too much detail

I will be checking your other stories and am looking forward to being further entertained.

GoodhueGoodhueover 8 years ago
Great Story!

- Really enjoyed this story!

- My only complaint is that it ended rather abruptly.

Would have liked another page+ describing wedding prep,briefly,and then the wedding. Ending could have been the consummation of the marriage,with the happily ever after left to the readers' imaginations.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

Please keep writing

Ed Grocott

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
well

well, your stories seem designed to eliminate depression.

One can not feel down after enjoying one of them.

Cant help it, I love happy endings to stories that makee you feel good.

Excellent writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Another outstanding contribution

Well done!!! Good use of proper elements for a well-written story. You are definitely one heck of a fine story teller. Please keep it up. SF VET

ThelvynerThelvynerabout 7 years ago
Thank you

A story with a happy ending with no sneaky twists to take away from it or hidden dark things lurking. Thank you for this loving tale.

Too often I try to find a loving romance to be disappointed by plot points that really ruin the story for me.

JJMemaw0623JJMemaw0623about 7 years ago
Wonderful read!!

What an absolutely wonderful, loving read. I fell in love with your characters and just loved the story! Please keep writing!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
True to life

My wife's grandfather was in Egypt in WW1 with the Australian Army. His unit received a food etc. parcel. He wrote to the senders thanking them. My wife's grandmother (as she became) replied to his letter on behalf of the group that sent the parcel. The correspondence continued and they met and got married after he returned from the war. My wife now has his letters which had been kept by her Grandmother.

caryzfieldcaryzfieldover 5 years ago
Excellent Story

I have read this story numerous times and I can't stop reading it. It is, by far, my favorite story. I cry every time I read it. Please continue writing. Very well done!!

GoesGruntGoesGruntabout 5 years ago
Charming

If it were the real world I'd be betting on the divorce date. But that's the advantage of fiction, it can have a happy ending no matter how unlikely.

Thanks for sharing your work.

far_wanderer1984far_wanderer1984about 4 years ago

Nice little read. It would of be nice ending after the wedding but still good.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 4 years ago
Terrific story!

Loved this story!

Rancher46Rancher46almost 4 years ago
Great Love Story

Wish it had continued past the wedding and the happily ever after, But it was a great story, well written. 5 Stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Gee whiz. I cry in the middle and end of most of your stories and it creeps up on me each time. Thank you.

oldgraycatoldgraycatover 2 years ago

What a wonderful story. Some parts hard to read with the tears in my eyes, love all of it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Love, honor, and - oh - pay!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Love, honor, and - oh - pay!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story, but gonna be a bridezilla in tag short a time.

OU8ME2ICOU8ME2ICover 1 year ago

What a beautiful love story. I really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for writing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Great story- all the characters very well fleshed out and developed. Kept waiting for a downturn somewhere but it kept going great. Only issue was the back and forth on the narrative. Some other stories put the speaker’s name at top after the switch but got used to it after couple of switches! Great author

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Loved your story -- and wanted so much to see the story extended. I imagined Eric and Catherine's wedding night when she (first?) saw him without clothes and enjoyed his manly muscular body. Maybe a healthy dose of chest hair to cover his manly body. And a good see cock whose erection she had sensed or seen. Then I thought that maybe Catherine had already seen his body during his song bath in the hospital. Either way, a very good story!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous