Climbing Jacob's Ladder

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,792 Followers

"Well, I think that sounds pretty great!" Kristen said.

She turned to Rebecca and said, "Will you explain all the science stuff to me?" She leaned over and said very quietly, "Science was my worst subject in school. Except for maybe math."

Rebecca giggled and said, "Don't worry. I got you covered."

Jake, Abby, and Kristen all laughed at her very grownup-sounding reply.

"I think I'll pass," Abby said. "I have so much to do to get ready for the Christmas party I can't really spare the time."

Jake was going to protest but he saw by the look in his mom's eyes that she wanted to give them some time to spend alone together.

"Okay. Then how about we head over there at ten, see all the exhibits, and then go have lunch somewhere?" Jake suggested.

Rebecca turned toward Kristen with that big, sweet smile of hers waiting for her answer.

"Sounds perfect," she told him.

"This is gonna be the best Christmas ever!" Rebecca said as she moved next to Kristen and hugged her again. All three of the adults were blinking away tears as they saw how happy their favorite eight-year old was.

When they arrived at the museum, Kristen was more than a little surprised to learn the museum had an iMax theater inside.

"It's the best part of the tour," Jake told her.

"I love the theater. It's SO big!" Rebecca said as she held Kristen's hand on their way into the theater.

They'd already seen the King Tut exhibit and the other interesting things the museum had to offer. They planned to watch whatever was playing then go have lunch.

Today they were showing something called Rogue One: A Stars Wars History.

"I love Star Wars!" Kristen said. "I've seen every movie."

"I like R2D2 the best," Rebecca said as they found their seats.

The movie lasted a little over two hours and at the hour and a half point, something very loud startled Rebecca who reached over for Kristen who had also been startled and had reached over for Jake.

"Sorry," she said pulling away. "That just caught me by surprise."

"Looks like you're not the only one," he whispered when he saw Rebecca clinging to her.

"I really didn't mind," he told her as he offered her his hand.

She looked at it then at him and watched her hand moving over toward his. Jake smiled at her then squeezed it and Kristen smiled back and squeezed his. A few minutes later, she laid her head on his shoulder and Jake put his arm around her.

"Is that okay?" he asked after doing it.

"Yes. It's...very okay," she assured him as she looked up into his eyes.

He looked passed her and saw Rebecca grinning from ear to ear as she gave him a big thumbs up.

Kristen saw it out of the corner of her eye then pulled Rebecca over onto her lap and put her other arm around her.

"Can you still see, Miss Kristen?" Rebecca asked.

She was looking into Jake's eyes and said, "Yes, honey. I can see everything just fine."

In her heart, she knew she meant more than the movie screen which she was no longer even watching. Everything was becoming very clear very quickly and Kristen couldn't ever remember feeling happier in her entire life. It was as though for the first time everything she was doing at the moment was the exact thing she was meant to do. She had no intention of ruining it by overanalyzing things. For now, she just wanted to enjoy the feeling of having her very own family even if it was only for a few more minutes.

Kristen had no way of knowing Jake was feeling something very similar. For the first time since Priscilla died, it felt like his family was complete. It didn't make any logical sense, and yet he knew what he was feeling.

When the movie ended and the credits were rolling, people started getting up and leaving while the three of them sat still. Rebecca was still on Kristen's lap and Kristen still had her head on Jake's shoulder while one of her arms was wrapped around the girl's waist as Jake held her other hand.

"I suppose we should go," Jake finally said.

"Do we have to?" Rebecca asked.

"Your dad is right, honey. We really do need to get up."

Rebecca slid off her lap and waited for the adults to stand. She'd already seen them holding hands so after her father helped Kristen stand up then let go of her hand she got behind them and as soon as they stepped into the aisle, she grabbed their hands and put them back together.

"There. That's better," she said smiling her happy smile.

"We don't want to be the cause of making her unhappy do we?" Kristen asked when Jake looked at her.

"Not me," he said immediately.

"I love Star Wars now," Rebecca said on the way home.

"It's very popular," he dad said. "It has been since the first movie came out back in the '70s."

He glanced at Kristen not intending anything by the comment and she said, "Don't you dare say something about me being around for the premiere showing!"

"I had no such thing in mind," Jake assured her before asking, "so...were you?"

"Your dad is very lucky you're sitting between us," she said to Rebecca trying to be serious.

"Is he in trouble?" she asked not sure if they were serious or just playing around.

"No, not really," Kristen said. "I have to admit he might just be right."

"I am?" Jake asked. "May ask what about? Or would that be 'about what'?"

Kristen laughed then said, "You know? You are kind of growing on me. And not in the fungus kind of way."

Rebecca gave her a look that included a wrinkled nose. "Fungus? Like the stuff people get between their toes? That's disgusting!"

Jake and Kristen both laughed loudly so Rebecca joined in, too.

"Daddy? Can this be our new family?" she said reaching for a hand from each one of them.

"I dunno, honey. Miss Kristen might not be ready for the craziness of the Sanders Clan, or the excitement of life in Davenport, Iowa," he told his daughter while looking at Kristen.

"Never say never, right?" Kristen said sweetly as she looked back at Jake in a way he hadn't seen before. Jake smiled at her the way he had a dozen times that day already but this time it just felt so...different.

That evening after dinner the four of them sat and watched It's a Wonderful Life while munching on popcorn and sipping iced tea which didn't seem quite as cold to Kristen. Rebecca physically set her father (who didn't resist) right next to Kristen who'd taken a seat on one end of the couch then sat next to her dad as Abby watched with a smile. She pretended not to notice when, just like at the iMax, Kristen laid her head on Jake's shoulder after he put his arm around her.

When it was over, Jake said he should probably take Rebecca home and Abby immediately said, "No, don't do that, honey. She and I can go upstairs and read until she falls asleep so you two can spend some time together."

Jake looked at Kristen who smiled and told him, "I wouldn't mind if you stayed a while longer."

"Okay. Well...thanks, Mom," he told her.

When they were finally all alone Kristen told him, "I'm actually kind of glad I'm staying."

"Me, too," he told her as he reached for her hand. "But don't you still have...you know, the tall guy in your life?"

"Technically, yes, but after our conversation today...no. Not really. There's nothing holding me in that relationship and although I didn't formally end it, it's over," she told him truthfully. "So even if there isn't anything between you and me, there's definitely nothing left with Geoffrey."

"Would you like there to be something between us, Kristen?" Jake asked sitting next to her with her hand in his.

"I think I would," she told him as that fluttery feeling hit her again.

"Something like...this?" he said as he leaned over and kissed her for the first time.

When it ended a second or two later, Kristen whispered, "Yes, something just like that," before she pulled Jake closer and kissed him.

"You've been in at least one relationship since you lost your husband," Jake began. "I haven't. In fact, I've had no interest in any kind of relationship until we met at the airport."

"Are you saying you were interested when we first met?" she asked.

"Well, I thought you were beautiful the moment I saw you," he told her. "I don't think I really believed something might be there until maybe this morning."

"Yeah, me, too," she said. "I had to get passed the age difference and...the tall guy...but all of my concerns melted away in the museum today."

"All of them?" Jake teased. "So you had lots of concerns?"

"Jake? I'm almost 40 years old. Not 30. Forty."

"Is there a point?" he said as he twirled her hair in his fingers.

"Be serious," she said in an almost pouty tone.

"Okay, sorry," he told her. He sat up and got very serious looking then repeated, "Is there a point?"

"Jake! Don't be mean!" she told him. "I'm serious."

He smiled then put his hands on her cheeks and said, "So am I, Kristen." He leaned in and kissed her again and within a second she offered him the tip of her tongue and he returned the favor.

"Wow. You're a really good kisser," she told him as their lips parted.

"Me? No, I'd say that's you."

"Let's not argue about it, okay?" she said with a smile. "Let's just gather more evidence."

For the next several minutes they sat their on the couch kissing like teenagers at a drive-in movie.

At some point Jake pulled back and said, "I really think I should probably go home. As in...now." He quickly added, "Not because I want to, but because well, I'm not sure it would be wise to stay here with you any longer."

"I...I understand completely," she told him. Her body felt like it was on fire and if she didn't douse the flames now there'd be no stopping it. "I mean, we are on your mom's couch."

"And she and Rebecca are right above us," he said pointing to the ceiling.

"I'm really looking forward to going to the Christmas party with you tomorrow," she told him.

"Me, too. I feel like I'm high school again or something."

"So it's not just me?" she asked smiling happily.

"Definitely not. You know what? I haven't felt like this since high school."

"I know. It feels very nice," Kristen told him.

"Yes. Yes, it does," Jake agreed. "So as much as I don't want to leave..."

He stood up and offered Kristen his hands and pulled her up so that she was facing him just inches away.

"You are so beautiful," he told her. This time, he wasn't smiling, but his eyes told her he meant what he was saying.

"Thank you," Kristen said. She wanted to say something about her age or maybe his age, but her heart wouldn't let her. In fact, it was sending her a message it hadn't sent out since Gil was alive. It was also pounding wildly and Kristen was trying to remember a time when she'd felt like this. Maybe it was the day Gil first told her he loved her or possibly the day he proposed. All she knew was it had been a very long time and it felt wonderful.

"Do you want to go upstairs with me and get Rebecca?" he asked, his arms around her waist.

"Yes. I'd like that very much," she told him. "But could I maybe get one more kiss first?"

Jake pulled her close and kissed her for several seconds as Kristen slid her arms around his neck and moaned softly just before it ended.

"Will that hold you?" Jake asked sweetly.

"I guess that'll have to do," she told him.

Jake told her he was going to go start the truck then be right back. In less than a minute he was taking her hand and leading her upstairs where they found Rebecca sound asleep in her bed and Abby asleep in the rocking chair in the room where Rebecca slept when she stayed overnight.

"Oh, my!" Abby said as she woke up when she heard them walk in. "I must have dozed off. What time is it?"

"You've only been up here for maybe half an hour, Mom," Jake told her. "Thanks for giving us some alone time, by the way."

"Oh, sure. I thought you two could use some," she said her eyes twinkling.

"You know, Rebecca talked about you until she fell asleep, Kristen. She...likes you very much."

Kristen felt herself tearing up again and Jake took her hand as she said, "I like her very much, too."

"What a coincidence!" Jake said turning Kristen toward him. "I just happen to like you very much, as well."

"Now that is just too weird because I feel the same way about you!"

Abby watched the way they looked at one another and smiled.

"I guess I'll head back downstairs. Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day starting with breakfast in the morning and ending with the Christmas party and then we have presents to open just hours later after that."

"Oh, my goodness!" Kristen said. "I feel terrible! I didn't even think about that and I don't have anything for anyone."

Kristen was clearly horrified when she realized what was going on.

Jake put his arms around her with Abby still standing there and told her, "Kristen, you've given both of us the best Christmas present we could ever have just by staying with us."

Abby walked by them and tilted her head toward Kristen and said, "He's right, you know. Good night, you two. I'll see you bright and early?"

"You can count on it, Mom," he told her. When she walked out tears began falling from Kristen's eyes. "Hey, what's going on?" Jake asked quietly.

Unable to speak, she shook her head indicating she needed time.

Finally, she found her voice and said, "I...I'm just so happy. And it's all been so...unexpected and...and so wonderful."

She looked down at Rebecca who was fast asleep and said, "She's so sweet and precious." She looked back at Jake and said, "You know, I don't just like Rebecca. I...love her, Jake."

Jake smiled and told her, "I can tell she loves you too, Kristen."

"That's a lot of love to soak in," she said as she tried to wipe away the tears.

"You know, maybe I'm wrong, but it sure seems like there's even more of it around here than just you two."

Kristen eyes were dancing with his as she said, "I don't think you're wrong at all."

Jake kissed her one last time then scooped Rebecca up along with a big old quilt she was laying under.

"Are we home, Daddy?" she said partially waking up.

"Not yet, sweetie," he told her.

"Oh, okay. I was dreaming we were at our house and Miss Kristen was in my bedroom with you."

"That sounds like a very nice dream," her father told her as she laid her head on his shoulder.

"Goodnight, sweetheart," Kristen said as she kissed her rosy-red cheek.

"G'night, Miss Kristen. I love you," she said sweetly.

Tears fell again as Kristen managed to say, "I love you, too, honey. See you in the morning, okay?"

Rebecca was out again and Jake carried her downstairs with Kristen right behind them.

"I had the most wonderful day in...many, many years today, Jake. Thank you for that," she said still not fully recovered.

"Me, too. And thank you for that," he replied. He leaned over for a kiss and got a very nice one as Kristen opened the door for them.

The blast of cold air knifed through her, but this time it didn't seem quite as cold. In fact, it didn't bother her at all. It felt oddly pleasant and familiar and like it was somehow a part of her life.

The factory closed at noon on the 24th and Jake was back at his mom's by one o'clock. There was an awkward moment when he and Kristen met in the kitchen where Abby was busy making lunch.

"Oh, just go on and kiss her," Abby said without looking. "It's not like it's a big secret around here."

Jake put his hands on her shoulders and Kristen said, "I still feel like I'm back in high school and we're doing something wrong."

"That's because my mother is standing here watching us," he told her with a smile.

"She's not watching," Abby said with a laugh.

"But I am!" Rebecca said as she came around the corner just as her father kissed Kristen.

"Yes!" she said excitedly when she saw it. "I knew my prayers would be answered!"

"You prayed for us to kiss?" her dad asked.

"Kind of. I asked for you to get married, but I guess you have to kiss first, right?" she said not quite sure how things worked.

"That's usually how it works, honey," Jake told her.

"So you don't mind if I kiss your daddy?" Kristen asked.

"Well, how will you marry him if you don't kiss him?" she said as a statement more than a question.

"Good point," she replied.

"Do you wanna see the dress I'm wearing to the Christmas party tonight, Miss Kristen?" Rebecca asked still very excited.

"Are you kidding? Let's go!" she replied as Rebecca took her hand and headed upstairs.

"They're so good for each other," Abby commented.

"I agree," Jake told her.

"And she's very good for you, Jake. Just in case you hadn't noticed."

"I noticed, Mom. Trust me. I definitely noticed."

"You're in love with her, too. Just in case you missed that one," she added.

"Yeah, you might just be right, Mom."

"Oh, I'm right. And you can trust me on that. And I'd bet my bottom dollar she's in love with you."

"We kind of just met, Mom."

"And your point would be?" she said finally looking up at him.

"Maybe it's just infatuation. She's awfully good looking."

"I won't deny that, but I've seen you around a lot of nice-looking women since Priscilla left us, and you've never even looked let alone twice. Kristen is different. And don't let the age difference scare you off, okay?"

"That's not an issue, Mom. Trust me on that."

Just moments later Kristen and Rebecca came back downstairs.

"Daddy? Guess what? Miss Kristen and I are going shopping at the mall!"

"Remember what I said?" Kristen gently reminded her.

"Oh, sorry. Daddy? Is it okay if we go shopping together?" his daughter asked. Her eyes were opened wide and she was smiling like he hadn't seen in months.

"Is it okay, Jake?" Kristen asked.

"It's not only okay, I think that's a great idea," Jake said. He looked at Kristen and told her, "If you can brave the crowds of Christmas Eve-day shopping, more power to you."

"As long as I have my new best girlfriend with me, I won't mind at all."

"Then you two go have yourselves some girl fun, okay?" Jake told his daughter.

"I'm gonna go get my coat and gloves!" Rebecca said.

"And hat and scarf!" Jake called out as she sprinted upstairs.

"Thank you for doing this," he told Kristen.

"Are you kidding? Thank you for letting me take her. I might be more excited than she is!" Kristen told him.

He helped her with her own coat as she added her scarf, knit hat and gloves.

"I'm ready, Miss Kristen!" Rebecca said as she came bounding back down the stairs.

"All right! Let's go shopping," Kristen told her. "Woot, woot!"

Rebecca reached for the older woman's hand and Jake found himself both smiling and feeling choked up as they went outside.

"You see. She really is a keeper," his mom whispered from behind him.

"Yeah, I do believe you're right, Mom," he said as he watched them back his truck out. He knew the roads were plowed and sanded so he wasn't worried about her driving and it was a straight shot to the mall. Jake just had to talk his mom into letting him drive her car so he could buy something for Kristen.

"You know where the keys are, honey," she told him when he asked.

Jake was back in a little over an hour, but it was just before six before Kristen and Rebecca got home. Both of them were carrying double handfuls of bags as they came inside and Rebecca immediately started talking about how much fun they had.

"And Dad? Don't look in any of the bags, okay?" she told him very seriously.

"Who, me?" he said with feigned bewilderment. He leaned over toward the bags and said, "Why? Is there maybe something in there for me?"

"Daddy!" Rebecca said pulling the bags away. "We have to wrap some of these. But we got some stuff wrapped at the store. Oh, and we had the yummiest soft pretzels at the food court!"

With that, she headed into the dining room so they could use the table to wrap presents while Kristen waited to talk to Jake.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,792 Followers