Coming of Age Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Underling laughed, it made Crystal's skin crawl as it was a manic laugh, a laugh of pure madness. "I do no fear you or any human."

"Then you obviously know shit all or you would know exactly who I am and know better than to fuck with me." Crystal snapped back.

"Really?" He taunted.

"Crystal," Serenity said, "They need to go, they are going into shock."

That drew a reaction, "The freak?" the talkative Vampire said with contempt.

Crystal took a deep breath, "good bye." She said and suddenly they were back at the house. Serenity, Thais and Temperance wrapped the three women in already warm blankets that they had willed into their hands.

"Did you call the FBI?" Crystal asked as she turned to Bastion who walked in with a tray of mugs.

He nodded, "the moment we got here, I also informed the Lead Stallion that there was a rogue tribe in his territory." He handed mugs of rich hot chocolate to each of the women knowing the warmth and chocolate would be good for them and help them with their shock.

"And the others?" Myth asked.

"Jay has called his coven, they will be here soon to place wards around the property, the others have gone to their homes." Bastion informed them. "For now I think it would be best if we moved the three into the house to keep them safe until this mess is over."

"Bastion is right," Thais spoke up.

"Why?" Crystal asked. "What have you seen?" She demanded to know.

"The tribe won't be caught by the FBI or the police." He answered honestly.

Crystal growled, "You know where they are," she assumed.

Thais shook his head, "I see nothing and even if I did I cannot intervene, this has to play out without me changing the outcome, it has to happen this way."

"They could die," Crystal stated gesturing at the three women.

Thais flinched a little as if her words struck a physical blow, he liked all three women and enjoyed their natures; he didn't want them hurt or worse, dead, "then that is Fate's will."

Crystal paced before him before she paused, "will you warn us when they attack."

"If I see the Vampires attacking I will warn you." He agreed truthfully and it seemed to calm Crystal down.

Jay walked in with several others, they paused sensing the charged atmosphere. "Jay told us you required wards?" The older woman in the group questioned.

"Yes please." Crystal said gratefully, a parameter ward would give them precious seconds of warning which could be the difference between life and death for the humans who would be staying here. She didn't know any warding spells and was glad that Jay's coven was here to help.

"What type would you like?" Jay asked.

"An intent ward should be fine," Serenity slid in, an intent ward was simply that if someone intended harm to anyone included in the ward, even if they weren't present in the house, a silent alarm would go off in the minds of whoever the wards were attached to.

"Can this wait until we settle them?" Temperance interjected.

"We don't have any of the other rooms setup for guests," Bastion told her.

"They can have my bed," Serenity offered, "I'll just shift and curl up on the floor."

"Or you can curl up with me," Thais offered. Serenity nodded her thanks although curling up on the thick rug on her bedroom floor didn't bother her.

The triplets helped the still slightly shocked women up to the bedroom, the hot chocolate had done wonders to chase the chill from their bodies but their minds were still fuzzy. They willed their friends into comfortable pyjamas before tucking them in. Thais slowly put the women to sleep, a talent he had figured out when he was still classed as a toddler, when they were asleep the triplets left the room and went back down stairs.

"During the day they should be safe," Crystal said more to herself than to anyone else, her mind was at work trying to figure out the best way to protect their friends.

"I have warrior training," Bastion informed her.

Crystal paused, "Warrior... I haven't heard that term before."

Han grinned, "that's because it hasn't been used in about thirteen hundred years, Warrior rank is the rank below Enforcers we call it Delta rank these days, they are in effect reserve soldiers, general members of the pack who have battle training that can be called up to defend if needed." He explained.

"Huh?" Crystal said.

"The terms we use for ranks has had to evolve as our numbers grew and the way we worked evolved, some terms were in fashion in certain areas but had a different name in another. The Alphas have done their best to uniform the terms and ranks in the last five generations to make it easier for everyone to understand." Temperance explained.

Crystal blinked, "will I ever know all I need to know or will you guys keep turning up with random stuff like that."

The Were in the room shrugged.

"So... Bastion is Delta rank?" She asked as that didn't make sense.

Bastion shook his head, "no, I am Beta rank, I run the Alpha's home, my orders have to be obeyed by all bar the seconds and the Alphas."

"If there was a next Alpha they would also be exempt from following his orders." Thais added and Serenity shot him a poisonous look as not everyone knew just yet that Serenity was a next Alpha.

"Perhaps you can talk about this later." the older woman said, "we should set the wards now."

"Crystal," Han said seriously, "although we are meant to be protecting them they can protect themselves, they are fully trained Betas, fully trained enforcers, use them."

Crystal thought for a moment but she couldn't fault Han's reasoning, the triplets only had bodyguards because it was required by some stupid rule that said the President's family had to be guarded. All three had been trained by the packs best fighters including Amy herself, they were fierce warriors, ranked up with the very same people who trained them and able to take care of themselves and whoever else came along and needed to be protected.

Everyone waited for Crystal to make up her mind as she was in charge of the security. "Bind the wards to all of us except for Jasmine, Sky and Rachel."

"The Coven included?" Jay asked as that was how it sounded.

"Yes, if you don't get an okay call within ten minutes you are to inform the FBI." Crystal answered.

The Coven members nodded, they could see sense in Crystal's plan, if they didn't call within ten minutes then they needed help. "I'll go and get some hairs." Jay said as he bolted up stairs, they required four hairs from each of the threatened girls, one hair from each girl placed at each watch tower or compass point to humans to bind the spell.

"Once the wards are set we'll set up a watch." Crystal told the room.

"I may not be seeing much but I know they won't attack tonight, we've all had long days and if we don't all rest we won't have the energy to protect them." Thais told her.

Crystal thought for a moment but had to agree with Thais, it was doubtful that the Tribe would be able to track them tonight, not when they would be busy hiding their own tracks.

"Okay, we'll all go to sleep."

*

Serenity rested her head on her brother's chest, "what are you hiding?" she asked before she yawned.

"Just because I see the future doesn't mean I am meant to change all the bad things I see, the bad things shape us, make us into the people we need to be to cope with the really bad things that happen." He told her stroking her back.

"Fine... but tell me, will they survive this?" She asked wanting an honest answer from her brother.

"You can tell no one Ren, I have seen what will happen, it is safe to let it happen this way. Any other way and they will die, trust me please."

"Always, you have always had my trust." She sighed and closed her eyes. "My lips and mind are sealed." she promised before she drifted off.

Thais smiled and watched the ceiling, some days he wished he hadn't been granted with the sight. Slowly his mind stopped seeing the present and started seeing the future, a man was before him, in fact he was the only thing Thais could make out clearly. He was ruggedly handsome with dark grey hair although he looked no older than Thais did, his skin was a flawless alabaster, his golden almost cat-like eyes seemed to gaze through him and into his soul. He stood before Thais with a knowing smile, they had been seeing each other for years, 'what is your name?' the man asked his voice was mid-range with a slight rumble.

'I am...' he started to say before he was drawn out of his vision. He sighed, yes some days he hated having the sight then there were moments like just then, when he was just about the tell the man he had been seeing since he was a child his name, he would snap out of it, that he loved having the sight. That man was his, now all he had to do was wait until Fate threw their paths together.

**

Everyone slept late the next day but they were safe in the knowledge that true Vampires couldn't move during the day. Bastion was the first to stir and he started to cook knowing the smell of food would rouse the sleepers. Temperance was the next to wake having felt his presence leave her, she rubbed her eyes as she yawned, she kissed his cheek before she went over and started to make coffee.

"Temp," he said as he grabbed the waist of her pants and tugged her back to him, he turned her quickly and captured her lips in a long drugging kiss.

"Ah... come on... not before coffee," Crystal complained as she walked in on them.

Temperance chuckled as Bastion released her, "I just put on a pot it'll be ready in a few."

"Okay, I'm going to inspect the boundary, to see if any Vampires approached, and coffee better be ready when I come back or heads will roll." She said as she left out through the back door.

"Better get on top of that coffee, blood is so hard to get out of stone." Bastion teased.

Temperance chuckled and went to fuss over the coffee machine.

*

Thais woke and took a deep breath, shifting slightly. Serenity growled not ready to wake up just yet, she was draped over his chest cuddling his body. He grinned and stroked her back which caused her to start purring. He loved the sound of his sister's purring, he could remember listening to it for hours but he didn't want to listen to it for hours today, he knew they had a busy day ahead and it had to start. Shoving her gently he tried to wake his sister. He got another growl in reaction.

"Come on Ren, Bastion is making your favourite." He said trying to get her up.

She was awake in an instant, she could never sleep in when she knew Bastion was making waffles. She gave her brother a shrewd look, he had played the waffle card once before and there hadn't been waffles. "If there aren't waffles on the table I will drag your arse outside and beat the crap out of you." She got up and went to shower and get dressed.

Thais didn't bother he just pulled on a pair of sweats and raced up stairs and to the kitchen. "Hey Bastion, can you do me a favour?" He asked.

Bastion glanced up from the big bowl of batter he was mixing with a whisk. "Depends."

"Can you hold off on the waffles for a little while?" Thais asked.

Bastion stopped mixing the batter, "you've taunted your sister with waffles and want me to hold off... do you want to get into a fight with her?"

Thais grinned and nodded, he didn't often get a chance to fight against his sister, she normally sparred with Crystal, Destiny, Alanna, Rhiannon or Ma as they were the only ones who could best her.

Bastion shrugged and covered the batter with a tea towel, "your neck."

Temperance chuckled and handed her brother two trays with soft scrambled eggs and breakfast sausages, then gestured with her head for him to take it into the dining room. He put the dishes down and went back for more, Myth and Han walked in yawning but quickly went to the side board and grabbed plates, bowls and cutlery and started to place them around the table.

"Don't forget our guests plus the FBI who will be stopping by," Thais said as he put more dishes down.

"How many?" Myth asked already going back to side board.

"Three, Electra being one of them." Thais answered.

"Great," Crystal said as she walked in and went straight for coffee, "that's just great, she'll tell your ma it's all my fault."

"Actually," Electra said stepping into the room, having appeared in the hallway a few moments earlier, she was really beginning to love having that Ancient ability. "I am pleased you were out last night, we've had no indication of a rogue tribe being around and now we know." Her head turned to the table sniffing at the smells coming from the food.

"What are you doing out of your fancy office?" Temperance asked as she placed toast on the table.

"Well see I got a phone call last night, irritated the shit out Mayhem, my boss told me to come and get the complete story out of you lot, thinking you would open up more to me than to the agents assigned this case." Electra answered, she was in fact a little annoyed to be out here, shortly after she and Mayhem had mated her old director had retired and nominated her to be his replacement. Young as she was, she was a good leader and the way they had been moving her around made it hard for her to be away from her family and home. Settling her into a desk job wasn't what the higher ups wanted, but there was no one else out there to do the job as they wanted more non humans in the FBI and if they lost her they would lose the others. So she got her promotion and a permanent desk job although she didn't always stay behind her desk.

Serenity walked down leading the three women whose lives had just been put in turmoil. Serenity's eyes scanned the table, looking for waffles and when she didn't see them she glared at her brother. "I warned you what would happen if waffles weren't on the table." She growled. "Outside NOW!"

Thais turned and obeyed, she may not have meant it but her influence had laced the words, he wouldn't have been able to resist even if he could. The pack members in the room, although the order had not been directed at them, followed. Electra frowned as she watched her younger sister, she turned to Temperance, "when did that happen?"

Temperance shrugged, "this is news to me."

"She's the next Alpha." Bastion said gently, speaking aloud what the others knew. "But the pack has an Alpha." He muttered almost to himself.

Sky, Jasmine and Rachel went out with the others, they were confused, "Wait they are fighting over waffles?" Sky asked.

Temperance nodded, "Thais promised her waffles, no waffles means she woke up for nothing, she could still be sleeping and cats don't like it when their sleep is interrupted."

Serenity didn't wait for the others to get to their vantage points, she was on her brother in moments, Thais's ability to see the future was the only reason he managed to get out of her sudden attack before she tore his throat out. He may have managed to just avoid her claws, but the sudden left hook sent him crashing to the ground. He mentally cursed himself for a moment, he should have been expecting the secondary strike.

He scrambled to his feet and away from his sister, he used his left hand to realign his dislocated jaw, before he started to circle. He tried not to focus on the future, his sister was as fast as their mother and could change a movement in a split second, and a split second was all she needed to get through his ability.

Electra watched and wondered how Thais would counter his sisters lightning reactions, it was a problem not many could counter. Crystal, Destiny and Amy just used their own speed but everyone else had to rely on instincts and their training.

Thais shifted just in time and threw his arms up, the shift avoided a high kick while his arms blocked the right follow through. He stepped forward and ducked as if going for a body hit, when Serenity went to block it, his still blocking left arm jerked forward slamming his elbow into her cheek.

Serenity ignored the blow, caught his right arm and twisted sending him flying. She released and followed, Thais started to push himself up but found her knee connecting to his face.

"BREAKFAST!" Bastion called effectively ending the fight.

Serenity glared at her brother for a moment but helped him to his feet, Thais grinned a little and shrugged, blood streamed from a split in his lip. She rolled her eyes and went inside following the others. Thais walked into the dining room and plopped into a chair; he made a hanky appear in his hand and pressed it to his lip. He knew he had gotten off lightly, although he wished it had lasted a little longer he knew that if Bastion hadn't called an end he would have ended up with his head torn from his shoulders.

Myth tossed him a first aid box and sat, "Great... the food is cold." She said as she sat looking at the cold eggs. Temperance gestured and everything was back to its perfect eating heat. Myth grinned, "that's what I like about you weirdos."

Everyone chuckled, Bastion walked in with a plate and a tub of ice cream, he put the plate down before Serenity and the tub next to it. Serenity's jaw dropped as she saw a plate piled high with fresh waffles. Thais chuckled, "I just wanted a rough and tumble so I asked him to hold off."

"If you wanted to fight you could have asked and we could have fought, I wouldn't have been so rough." She told her brother suddenly feeling sorry for her outburst.

"I like it rough." He told her as he pulled the hanky away to expose his healed lip.

Crystal chuckled, "So you like it rough, I pity the woman..."

"Man," the twins said as one, they knew of the man their brother saw, as for a while when they were young they hadn't known how to effectively keep their minds and dreams to themselves, which meant they knew he was their brothers mate.

Crystal glanced to Serenity then to Temperance then grinned a little evilly, "so your mate is a man... that means... sitting will be your problem since you like it rough."

Everyone, except the humans and Thais cracked up laughing. Thais considered taunting Crystal back, he knew things that she would want to know, like who her mate was. He curbed it as he knew he couldn't taunt Crystal as she wouldn't back off until she knew what he did. "Get the door." He said as he focused on his plate.

Electra nudged her brother,You could have gotten her back.

No point in taunting her, she won't take a fuck off for an answer.He answered before he turned to Bastion who led in two men.

"Agents Johnson and Farrell," Bastion introduced.

Electra ignored them and went to try to steal a waffle off Serenity's plate. Serenity growled and went to stab with her fork which made Electra back off. "I just want one."

"Mine." Serenity claimed and pulled her plate closer. Bastion went to the kitchen and returned with more waffles as Temperance had been busy willing waffles into existence he put a plate and a bottle of chocolate sauce down before sitting. The two men sat and served themselves, knowing there was simply no point in trying to get the story on the night before until most, if not all, the food was gone. Electra chatted with her siblings asking how they were going and if they were enjoying themselves.

When everyone finally sat back one of the agents grabbed a note pad. "Just so you know there is a third member of our group, she will be by after sunset to ask her own questions."

Electra nodded, "that's right, you have a vampire in your unit." The conclave had assigned one of their Death Walkers to each Non- human branch. Electra didn't have a Vampire in her department and was unlikely to get one, as the Masters viewed the Wolf-Haven Pack, Shadow Pride and New Hope Pride with fear and distrust. Amy had rocked their world down to its very foundations and they knew continued exposure to her influence would change them. Sadly change didn't come easily to Vampires and they distrusted the relationship building between Arianna and Amy, but were unable to prevent it.