All Comments on 'Diamonds and Rust'

by jack_straw

Sort by:
  • 22 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Memory Lane

All of us have that one person who kicked our guts in at one time. Unfortunately, some of us let them back into our lives for another go around. Usually, it is just more of the same. I think I'll give her the ending I didn't take when I had the asshole come back into my life. Which means, she says no and gets on with her life. Maybe not happier, but not broken again either.

The NavigatorThe Navigatorabout 15 years ago
A classic

Really don't need to say much. This is classic Jack Straw -- well written, exciting story line, unexpected ending, thoroughly entertaining, and enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Beautifully written!

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. You unfolded it beautifully. I felt like we were old friends sitting across from one another, sharing a drink. Please keep writing and sharing your gift.

JennyBearJennyBearabout 15 years ago
Fantastic!!!

I had to play Baez while I read. <P>

"Not nostalgic, are you?" I said, with a little more sarcasm than I intended. "Then give me another word for it, you who are so good with words."

<P>

I was waiting for the line. I knew you would work it in sooner or later. <P>

Great job, thanks.

DesertPirateDesertPirateabout 15 years ago
A good one!

I like it! Different take on the theme for sure. Some memories might be better if they stay memories, then again....

JADED_ONE1969JADED_ONE1969about 15 years ago
Nice one Jack.

Very real and very touching. I hope they get together someday just to see if there are real emotions left. And if so if they can use them and live together as a couple. I am looking forward to your next story. You said in your comment on my latest story that I underestimate my own writing ability. No I don't I look at what you and others do, and purely from my point of view I admit I do envy you. You write with a lot of emotion I don't seem able to. Oh well. I will keep trying maybe one day? Right?

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 15 years ago
Great story Mr Straw: Janice seems like a Ditz

10 years later and she cant find anyone to equal or comparable to Billy? wow does THAT say a lot.

<br></br>

two things... 10 years after their break up caused by Billy's cheating ... he refuses to say Mike was a bad guy. Billy's explanation are an EXCUSE. If Mike was somewhat intimated by Janice's intellect that does NOT justify Mike's direct interference with Billy and janice relationship.

<br></br>

Yet Billy cannot even concede the point 10 years later.

<br></br>

Sure to most women and some gay like men that may sound romantic but a self centered absorbed asshole like Billy Crane it says <i> "...she is still so hung up on me after 10 years ... I can use that to my advantage. Maybe we can get married and I can still screw around on her..."</i>

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
where is the finish?????????????????

please give a conclusion.

bruce22bruce22about 15 years ago
Beautifully Done

The story is probably a common one in and around the celebrity world and especially with musicians. Some people guard the piece they get, and others lament the part that escaped!

BriteaseBriteaseabout 15 years ago
Lovely

What more to say

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Hello walls..

Does anyone wonder why most country music is written due to a lost relationship? That muse kicks your butt.

rachlourachloualmost 15 years ago
Always a mistake...

...to let someone who hurt you so badly, back into your life. I did that and it came back to bite me big time. But i loved the story and could understand why Janice was wavering at the end. Your writing is very powerful and you capture the emotions beautifully. Thank you for the read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Finish the Da*n story ... please

.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
great story

but if you are still writing this would be a great story to revisit and put a great twist to the end it right

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Nice Story

But it would have been nicer if it had a little more substantial ending.

avidfaavidfaalmost 7 years ago
I understand it's a mood piece

and that you accomplished exactly what you intended to, but what is the reader's experience? When you come right down to it, you spent 3 long pages making us experience an average moment in the present, a moment where we remember things lost, experience unfulfilled dreams, and a glimmering possibility of a dream that might yet come true. What ordinary moment in an adult's life does that not describe?

The protagonist learned nothing, gained nothing, had no wisdom, no insight. Let me recap: she got a phone call from a past love who fucked her over about 10 years ago, ran down memory lane, and got off the phone with (apparently) both swimming in loss and regret and lacking the wherewithal to do anything about it.

Yes, well-written, and it achieved what you wanted, but, all in all, a pretty crappy emotional experience for the reader. It's not like the scenes were evocative enough to give us new images of either young love or nostalgia. So, I'm left writing this comment as a way to get the nasty taste out of my mouth.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Beginning, Middle, & End...

This story reads like a Part 1 out of 3, it desperately needs a continuation that explores what, if anything, can be made of their current relationship, wrapped up with an ending that hints at where their futures may lay. Well written, and well structured as a beginning, but if this is all that is to be written not so hot.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Dont

Don't take Billy he back.He might miss you,but would keep on seeing other women if you took him back.Plus you are just as successful as him and that is what as drawn him back,you are well known and he wants some of that limelight,his world is too mixed up.

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15almost 4 years ago

Actually he probably won't see other women. I would say he has finally grown up and matured.

NitpicNitpicover 2 years ago
Hope

Hope she doesn't take him back.She is on the up,whilst his career is going downhill, after all why would it take him ten years to ring her?.

slowhand21slowhand218 months ago

Don’t do it, girl!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good story. But Billy is bad news for her. She still has a void in her heart. She needs someone else. Not Billy.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous