Don't Look Like a Seal Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Williams caught you on the way back here didn't he?" Alex asked as we walked through the house.

"Yes," I nodded. "Mr. Warm and Welcoming was waiting for me at the front door when I got back."

"He thinks I'm here for his job," Alex sighed. "He's been told a dozen times that isn't the case but you know how it is."

"Two alpha assholes butting heads," I grinned.

"Pretty muc... wait, you just called me an asshole," He stated and shook his head. "I was going to apologize for what Williams is going to put you through but now, I hope it's ten times worse. Jerk."

"Only ten times, huh?" I chuckled.

"Don't punch the guy out all right?" He asked. "That's the last thing I need on this job."

"My days of punching guys out ended long ago, Alex," I assured him. "I've mellowed."

"You and I have totally different definitions of mellowed then because a mellowed person doesn't drive their friend's car like you drove mine," He pointed out.

"You could be right," I smiled. "Damn it was fun though wasn't it?"

"Very different definitions of fun too," Alex shook his head.

Alex led me upstairs, down past a few bedrooms until we came to an unremarkable door.

"This is our security ops center but before I show it to you I need to warn you about Navarro," He stated. "He's... unique."

"Unique? What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"First off, the guy knows his stuff. I'm talking upside down and backward but he's never been in the military. Hell, I don't know if he's ever been outside for more than ten minutes at a time but he's solid. He's just..." Alex paused as he searched for the right word.

"Unique," I supplied.

"Exactly," Alex nodded. "You'll see what I mean."

He knocked at the door and we heard a voice call out.

"For the last time I will not put security camera's in Addison's bedroom," A male voice said as he approached the door. "No bedrooms at all so you can stop ask...ing... Alex?"

A short Latino had opened the door to the two of us and was looking at us with a dumbfounded expression on his face. He was not dressed like the rest of Alex's team. Navarro had on baggy shorts and a t-shirt with a saying from a popular television show emblazoned on it.

"At least he's loyal to the family," I pointed out to Alex.

"Sorry boss, I thought it was one of the other guys messing around," He said to Alex.

"Are they still giving you a hard time, Joe?" Alex asked.

"The better question is who's asking for camera's to be placed in the bedrooms," I told Alex.

"Who are you?" Joe asked.

"Joe, this is a teammate of mine. Ken Grayson," Alex introduced me. "I've brought him in to help out on the overnights."

"Cool," Joe nodded.

"Was the guy asking about the camera's joking or was he serious?" I asked him.

"At first I thought it was just a joke ya know, but he's been getting more insistent," Joe answered.

"He needs to be gone, whoever he is," I said to Alex who nodded.

"He's not taking this threat seriously enough and he's a pervert on top of that," Alex said. "Who is it, Joe?"

Joe hesitated for a moment then lowered his head.

"Eddie," He sighed. "It was Eddie."

Alex nodded then headed out to find Eddie.

"Thanks, Joe. That was good work," I told him.

"Doesn't feel like it," He sighed. "Feels like I'm a snitch."

"Guys like Eddie are guys that get people killed," I pointed out to him. "You did the right thing and that's all you need to worry about."

"So you're going to be staying at the guest house," He said then pointed to a nearby camera when I looked confused.

"Right," I nodded. "Eyes and ears nearly everywhere."

"Something like that," He said. "I try not to listen in too much but it happens."

"I'll try and remember that," I chuckled.

"How is it? Bunking down in a gym I mean," he said.

"Better than my place," I laughed. "The second floor hasn't been touched yet so I've got a bed and bathroom all to myself whenever I'm there."

"No wonder Cassidy was giving you the Death Stare when you got here. He wanted that place for his own before the Voss' decided to turn it into a gym," Joe explained.

"I have a feeling that he's going to make my life hell while I'm here," I admitted. "At least I now know why."

"Just one of the reasons I'm sure," Joe added.

"Sounds about right," I nodded. "Want to show me the security set up?"

"Shouldn't we wait for Mr. Kortesis to get back?" He asked.

"We can but Alex has already seen it, right?" I asked. "Why wait around for him to get impatient and try and hurry you along?"

Joe chuckled then acknowledged my logic. The room that he led me into was noticeably cooler than the rest of the house. It looked like it has been an office in a former life but now it resembled the heart of the security system. There was a desk in the center of the room with a couple of keyboards and several energy drink cans. On the back wall, there were twenty monitors that showed various areas of the house including the front gate, area's around the interior of the home and several exterior areas.

"They're all in high def color so no grainy black and white bullshit," Joe told me as my eyes drifted over the various monitors.

"Night vision?" I queried.

"Night vision on all the interior ones and thermal on the outdoor ones," He answered. "Mr. Kortesis wanted all the latest toys."

"Looks like he got those and then some," I stated.

"This room was converted into the security center that doubles as a safe room just in case it's needed," He continued. "It's basically the heart of the system and also where I spend most of my time."

"What kind of time frame are we looking at from an alert to full on lockdown?" I asked.

"That's dependent on where the family members are should the need arise," He answers. "We have two safe rooms available to them to minimize the time frame. I'm sure that Mr. Kortesis will show it to you on your tour."

"I'm sure that he will," I nodded.

"Both rooms have independent oxygen supplies and can run off battery power for forty-eight hours if need be," Joe stated. "Each safe room has a Press Me button on the wall that seals the room if I'm not at my keyboards for any reason. It's located there by the door."

He pointed over to a red button on the wall that had a sign that told to press the button and be clear of the door.

"Nice and red so even us meatheads can't miss it," I chuckled.

"I didn't say that," He smiled.

"You don't have too, Joe," I said. "We're basically meat shields at the very least. Good enough to soak up some fire while the family gets to safety. Harsh reality but it is what it is."

"Meat shields huh?" Joe asked.

"I'm certainly not looking to get shot or shot at anymore. I'm too old for that stuff," I told him. "What I need is someone with brains like yours to make sure this place stays secure."

"That I can hopefully do," He stated.

"Well that's done," Alex said as he joined us in the room.

"I'm guessing that it didn't go over well," I stated.

"About as well as one could expect," Alex answered. "I told him that he'd been overheard making undesirable comments about the family. He tried denying it until I pointed to the cameras and reminded him that I had it all on tape. He walked after that."

"That's good," I said.

"Joe, delete his access and make sure that all the codes that he knew are wiped from the system," Alex ordered. "Tell everyone that we'll get them new codes soon."

"Deleting his access codes now," Joe nodded and went to type at his terminal.

"Make sure both teams know that he's gone and he's not allowed back onto the property," I suggested.

"Will do, boss," Joe answered me as he continued to type.

He finished his typing then handed me a small earbud.

"One of my own designs," He said proudly. "The transmitter is in the same piece so I can hear you without you having to talk into your wrist and look like an idiot."

"So I get to stand perfectly still and have what would look like a conversation with my imaginary friend instead?" I chuckled.

"Or that you just talk to yourself," Joe defended. "I haven't come up with a way to read your thoughts yet, so this will just have to do."

"You don't want to read his thoughts, Joe," Alex warned.

"Dark things?" Joe asked.

"Worse," Alex said then grinned. "Disco tunes."

They laughed while I shook my head.

"Funny," I commented. "You always thought you were a funny guy, Alex."

"Come on Grayson, you've tortured poor Joe enough let him get back to work," He told me.

I nodded and put my earbud in place. Alex told Joe to let the teams know that there would be a mandatory meeting and he gave him a time for it.

"You can skip it since you'll be settling in and you already know about Eddie's departure," Alex assured me.

"Sounds good," I said then nodded at Joe. "Keep an eye on me, Joe. I don't want to screw up and reflect badly on Alex here."

"Aw, Ken, I'm touched," Alex commented.

"I'd hate for him to lose his new girlfriend before he's had a chance to ask her out," I smiled at him.

"I knew I spoke too soon," Alex sighed.

****

"So you've got Joe calling you boss already huh?" Alex asked as we headed back downstairs so he could show me the location of the second safe room.

"I thought he just called everybody that," I answered.

"He doesn't," Alex shared.

"He seems to know his stuff pretty well but he isn't exactly what I expected," I shared.

"You had expectations?" He smiled one of his smiles. "You have changed."

"Shut it," I told him. "How did you find him?"

"Joe designed a system for a friend of mine. I took a look at it and put him on my first call list if something came up that called for his expertise," Alex explained. "He was my first call once I spoke to Mr. Voss."

"Good call," I nodded. "The guy knows his business even if he's a little out of place with the rest of your team. They do look good in those dark suits though."

"We need to get you fitted for one of those," He said and sounded serious.

"A dark suit in this heat? Are you insane?" I asked him as I shook my head. "I doubt I can afford one anyway, Mr. GQ. What did this suit you're wearing cost you anyway, about a year's worth of rent?"

"Probably a year and a half at that hovel you live in but I'm the one that makes this look good not vice versa," He stated then brushed the sleeves of his jacket.

"This place has gone right to your head hasn't it?" I said.

"I'm not the one moving in," He grumbled. "After a couple of days here you'll never want to leave."

"I'm already getting that distinct impression," I admitted aloud to us both. "Better wrap this up quick before I completely lose myself into this world."

"Don't you mean that the police should wrap this up quick, Ken?" He asked. "You are here in a bodyguard capacity. I told you to leave that investigator badge of yours at home."

"I did," I lied. "I only wanted to see if I could glean anything about what we might be up against this morning. The cops being there were just a coincidence."

"Uh huh," Alex sighed. "You have enough here to stay busy day and night so let them do their jobs and you do yours."

"You think there's enough here to keep me occupied huh?" I asked him.

"The beach alone will keep you occupied," He laughed then added. "Wait until you see the car collection, the private jet and yacht."

"I'm gonna need one of those mind wipe things when this gig is over, you realize this right?" I asked as I shook my head.

"You and me both," He agreed. "Shouldn't you go get some rest before tonight?"

"Guess I should try," I nodded in agreement.

"I'm going to have my meeting then head over and check on Scottie," He shared. "I'd invite you along but..."

"You know how I am with hospitals," I finished for him. "Let me get settled in here then I'll see about going back to check on him."

"Hey, if you're lucky you might run into their hot blonde friend when you go there," He chuckled.

"Better not say that too loud," I warned him. "Addison might hear you talking about her friend and get the wrong idea about your intentions."

"You're an asshole," He sighed. "Have I told you that lately?"

"Probably but I never have listened to you," I smiled.

"Even when it was to your benefit," He argued. "I told you those timers took a hit but you just had to use them."

"Don't remind me," I sighed. "I'm glad that my ears have finally stopped ringing. Now get to your meeting, let me get some shut-eye so I'm ready for tonight."

****

I returned to the guest house and found the door unlocked. I was confused as I thought we had locked it but when I walked in I saw why it was now unlocked. The youngest Voss daughter was perched on the base of one of the treadmills and she still didn't look happy.

"Sorry, I didn't know anyone was in here," I apologized as I tried to remember her name.

"I guess I shouldn't be now that you're here," She answered as she blew out an exasperated breath. "I'm just pissed is all and needed a place to hide out."

"Feel free to hide out all you want," I told her. "This is your family's place after all. I'm just visiting. Is it okay with you if I test out the other machine?"

I pointed to the other treadmill beside her and she shrugged her shoulders and gave me a whatever as I went to the treadmill. I looked over the control panel for a couple of seconds until I found how to power it up. I started it and set a steady pace.

"You're not like the other ones," She turned, looked up at me and said.

"Other ones?" I asked.

"You know the other guards who look like they just stepped out of a Michael Bay movie. Dark suits, darker shades and that carved in granite look they all have on their faces all the time like they're perpetually sucking on a lemon," She explained to me.

I had to slow down as I started laughing at her apt description.

"You look more like my broke uncle who comes to visit us when he wants a loan," she continued.

"Uh thanks, I think," I shook my head.

"Jeans, sneakers, the wrinkled shirt," she ticked off her list of my imperfections. "At least your face shows expressions and you actually called me by my name too which I never hear from the other ones. It's always, daughter two or the redhead one. Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you or anything with the broke uncle, wrinkled shirt thing. I love my uncle."

"I know, you're just pissed off right?" I said. "Mind if I asked why?"

"Ask all you want, I may not answer you," She told me.

"Fair enough," I nodded. "So what's got you so pissed?"

She was surprised that I asked and I could tell from the slight gasp that escaped her lips.

"Uh... lots of things," she answered noncommittally after a moment.

"Uh huh," I said. "Anything, in particular, bothering you right now or are you just generally in a bad mood?"

"Trying to determine if I'm the bitchy one huh?" She asked.

"Not at all," I answered. "I wasn't very happy when I was a teenager. It happens."

She watched me for several seconds then got to her feet and started the treadmill that she had been seated on. Soon she was jogging beside me.

"You weren't happy huh?" She asked.

"Life had been... tough for me so no, I wasn't happy at your age. Angry was a better term for what I was back then," I shared.

"And now?" She asked.

"I'm wearing jeans and a wrinkled shirt in this paradise," I pointed out. "What have I got to be angry about?"

"Right?" She asked then giggled. "So my problem is there's this guy..."

"Construction guy?" I asked.

"My blabbermouth sister strikes again," Karly sighed as she sped up her jog to my pace. "Consider that a warning. Anything you say in front my sister is fair game and will be repeated."

"Good to know. So because I'm here, you can't see Construction Guy?" I asked.

"Slice," She said.

"Excuse me?"

"His name is Slice. He's in a band," She explained.

"Like a slice of pizza?" I asked with a chuckle.

"No, like he'll slice you with a knife," she said.

"Was stab already taken?" I asked.

"Sounded too much like Scab," She told me.

"I take he's in the band too?"

"No, that's the name of the band," She laughed.

"Uh huh, so Slice has a real name I assume," I said.

"Duh," She answered then paused.

"It can't be worse than calling yourself Slice can it?" I asked her.

"I don't think that he ever told me what his real name was," She stated.

"And you know that's not a good sign right?" I asked her.

"It wasn't like I was planning on marrying the guy," She giggled. "I was just pissing off my sister anyway."

"You like to live dangerously huh, Red?" I asked.

She found herself nodding before she realized what I called her.

"Did you just call me Red?" She asked.

"Kind of fits you and your attitude. Fiery and dangerous," I chuckled.

"You can admit that you called me that because of my hair color ya know," She stated. "Not that I don't like your reasons but come on."

"Are you saying that you aren't fiery and dangerous?" I teased her.

"Stay around a little while and I'm sure that you'll find that out for yourself," She laughed. "I'll try and take it easy on you though at least until I come up with a nickname for you that is."

"Ken is fine," I assured her.

"That's boring, lame and not worthy of my fiery disposition," She remarked then grinned. "That's right. The rich girl has a vocabulary. You are in trouble, Ken."

"I can just call you Karly," I said. "It's not that big of a..."

"Just give me a little more time around you and I'll think up something good for you. Don't worry it'll be a heck of a lot more clever than Red," She teased.

I knew better than to argue with the determined eighteen-year-old and shrugged.

"All right, Red, you win," I conceded. "Just try not to make it too embarrassing for me please."

"I make no promises, Mr. Grayson," She smiled at me as she stopped her machine.

I shook my head and stopped my machine as well as she headed for the door.

"She had a boyfriend named Slice, what the hell have I gotten myself into?" I muttered aloud after she closed the door.

I shook my head then went upstairs to shower off and try and catch some shut eye before my shift started.

****

My first night on duty started with Joe chatting in my ear.

"You ready for your debut, Mr. Grayson?" He asked as I made sure I had all my buttons buttoned.

"As I'll ever be I guess," I answer back as I finish buttoning up my shirt.

I checked my pistol then tucked it and my knife into their respective holders. I reached for my sport jacket then weighed whether or not I should put it on. The humidity of the air won out so I tossed it back onto the bed and headed downstairs. I opened the door and almost ran into Mr. Williams who looked down at his watch then back at me with a look on his face like he had just sucked on a very sour lemon.

"At least you're punctual," He snorted as he crossed his arms.

I didn't fail to notice that he was wearing a jacket despite the weather and felt underdressed but screw it. I didn't work for him anyway.

"Can't be late on my first shift," I commented. "Is there any place, in particular, you want me stationed?"

"I want you sweeping the perimeter of the fence line. Start at the beach gate there and walk the whole thing," He pointed to the gate. "Good exercise for a former military man like yourself."

"Yes, sir," I nodded and started to walk toward the gate.

"And Grayson," He called out. "If you ever want to move from outdoor duty to indoor I'll expect you to dress the part."

"If I did that then I wouldn't remind Karly of her favorite uncle," I answered over my shoulder.

In my ear, I could hear Joe cracking up with laughter and I shook my head.

"Joe, that was one of those times when you were supposed to make sure I didn't mess up," I told him. "This laughter just encourages me and don't we technically work for this guy?"

123456...9