Double Helix Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Could be generated wideband interference," the third officer said, checking his own radio. His tone was one of grudging respect. "Probably started up the same time as the alarm."

I looked at each of the officers in turn, trying to gauge the situation and how we might get out of it. From the back patio came a cry, faintly heard over the alarm, that made everyone in the room jerk. I turned to peer into the dining area, but could see little beyond the entryway from my angle.

"Davis, check that out," Robert said.

The other officer nodded silently and moved toward the dining area. He whipped around the corner, gun coming around to sweep the room, but was thrown suddenly backward with a crunch and shattering of wood as a chair slammed into him. He tumbled onto his back and lay sprawled on the carpet in an unmoving heap. I caught a glimpse of Nissi, still gripping the remains of the chair as she ducked back behind the wall.

"Goddamn it!" Takara yelled. His gun came up on Stansy. "I'm taking her out."

"No, you'll hit Rollins!" Robert said. He had his gaze fixed on me, but I could tell that he was dying to turn at look at what the other officer was doing.

From the corner of my eye, I saw a human shape hurtling from around the corner from the dining room at Takara. The officer spun to his right and fired twice before Stan slammed into him, throwing him backwards into the wall. The drywall caved in and I actually heard two-by-four studs snapping under the impact, or maybe it was the sound of bones breaking, I couldn't be sure.

Robert finally turned to see what was happening and I brought my gun up, my mind completely blank, as if what I was about to do defied all reason. I pointed the gun at the middle of his forehead, a killing shot. A moment of constant pressure on the trigger, and I would end his life. It once more struck me how ridiculous it was, that killing another human being took so little effort. And yet, though I knew with absolute certainty that I had no choice, my finger wouldn't move.

Robert's gaze snapped back to me, his eyes going wide for a moment. The sound of the shot made me flinch, and I shut my eyes tight against the pain that was about to hit me.