Firestorm

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marshall Stephens shook his head. "I know I have a leak in the office and a few people think I'm on the take. Let me put it this way - if I find out who's selling information, I'll have the son of a bitch prosecuted or at least make certain they never wear a badge again -- anywhere. I'm sorry to hear what happened to your son and I'll help you in any way that's legal to find out who it was."

"I believe you, that's why I'm talking to you first before I go out to the Perrison cabin and start asking questions. It's also why I didn't want to have this conversation in your office. Any idea who's leaking?"

"I have a pretty good idea it's Deputy Lawson. He didn't get the Marshall's position when the town hired me. I've had the impression from the start that I'm being undercut by the son of a bitch. Just little things to give the town council reason to refuse my permanent hire once my probation is completed. It doesn't take much in these small towns when I'm the outsider and Lawson is a local kid."

"Why didn't they hire him in the first place?"

"Experience. My twenty-plus years in law enforcement versus his year and a half. But like a lot of young bucks, Lawson thinks he knows everything and is doing his best to spread false rumors. I just can't prove it."

"Maybe when this shakes out I can help you there. If Lawson put my son in danger, he deserves to go to prison."

Stephens saw the look in Karin's eyes. "I can't abide by you breaking the law to get revenge."

"I wouldn't expect you to, everything I do will be legal. But don't expect me to play nice."

The phrase 'tough broad' came to Stephens' mind and he had to hold back a grin. "As long as it's legal, let me know how I can help."

Karin nodded, the calm returning to her face. "So, this is where we share information, but only if it remains between you and me."

"Agreed."

"The man's name is Alexander Crawford. He works as James Perrison's personal security for Clayton Industries. He's former Army, retired and supposedly has a reputation for violence, including rumors he was responsible for the death of his superior officer when he was stationed in Iraq." Karin paused for a second to retrieve the notes from April. "No one has a current address for Crawford. Only that he has a 2020 Dodge Ram registered to his name in Virginia."

Stephens interrupted. "What color truck?"

Karin looked at her notes. "Granite Metallic."

"Damn. Not to get off track, but three weeks ago a hiker was seen getting picked up by a dark pickup. The woman named Mona Gomez just got off the Pacific Coast Trail and like many of these hikers, probably put her thumb out to come into town. She disappeared and the only lead the State Police have is that someone saw a hiker get into a dark pickup on the road near the trailhead about the same timeframe. The witness didn't get a license, but said it wasn't a Washington plate."

Karin shook her head at this news. "Sometimes I hate our job."

Stephens agreed without saying a word.

Karin continued. "I'd like to flush Crawford out and I'll need your help."

"What do you need?"

"I'm headed out to the Perrison home. I'm assuming he won't be cooperative and he'll shut me down. Can you plan to drive out there in an hour, ask him a few questions about Alexander Crawford, let him know I'm investigating, shake him up a bit?"

Stephens nodded his agreement. "Not a problem. Anything else?"

"Later this afternoon, tell your deputy that someone has found a body in the woods. Don't give specifics, tell him you've been asked to accompany a Ranger tomorrow morning to help with the investigation. We want Crawford spooked."

"Won't it seem odd to Crawford?"

"That's why we'll keep the information as vague as possible. Blame it on poor communications or whatever. What we need is the deputy to contact Perrison or Crawford -- whoever is his contact, keep them all guessing."

Stephens was skeptical. "It all sounds complicated. What are the chances this will work?"

"One thing I learned working counter-terrorism with NYPD, the more complicated and harder to believe, the more these types want to believe it, it fits with their paranoid view of the universe."

"What about the head Ranger, Larry Page?"

"I've already asked for Page's help. He likes my son and agrees to help in any way he can. I'll call him and let him know what we're up to, just in case your deputy has a side door into the Ranger Station. Someone there is helping Lawson tarnish your reputation. Page will be just as anxious to know who it is as you are to rid yourself of Lawson."

Chapter Eleven

Shortly after leaving the Marshall, Karin picked up April at the motel and they headed toward Perrison's cabin. Karin pulled onto the gravel road that led up to the house, stopping within the first one-hundred yards to let April out of the car. April was clothed head to toe in the camouflage outfit she had purchased that morning at the outdoor shop in town. Karin continued driving to the front of the cabin as April made her way on foot through the woods.

Karin knocked on the front door. It took a full minute before a middle-aged woman dressed in work-style overalls and holding a duster answered the door. She didn't say anything except, "what?" then waited for Karin to speak.

"Is Mr. Perrison home?"

The woman replied, "Wait here" and closed the door. Two minutes later a middle-aged man opened the door.

"Mr. James Perrison?"

"Yes. What is it?"

"My name is Karin Roland, my son is Ted Harris' roommate. May I speak with your daughter, please?"

"My daughter has returned to Philadelphia."

"Then maybe you can answer some questions. Ted's last known location was your home. Why don't we go inside and talk?"

Perrison became belligerent. "I've already talked to the police and have nothing further to say." He started to close the door.

Karin put her hand on the door and quickly, before the door could shut, asked, "Why did Alex Crawford, a man in your employ, assault and threaten my son if my son didn't stop talking to the police?"

Karin knew she hit a nerve; Perrison quit putting pressure on the door and had a surprised look on his face. The assault on Anthony was news to Perrison. Karin continued. "I take the threat very seriously. If you had anything to do with Ted's disappearance and my son's assault, I will find out and I will make certain you end up in prison!"

James Perrison wondered how this woman knew Alex Crawford's name, but quickly recovered. "I didn't have anything to do with either of those two things. I still think the Harris kid just took off. And as far as your son, maybe the kid got into a fight with Alex. How should I know? Now get off my property before I call the Marshall." This time he was able to slam the door shut. He didn't see the smile on Karin's face -- mission accomplished -- the guy was spooked. In fact, she could hear him yelling at the maid, telling her not to open the door without seeing who was on the other side.

Karin headed out and found a spot just inside town to wait for April's call.

Within ten minutes of Karin's departure, the Marshall was knocking on the Perrison front door. He heard the maid yell at Mr. Perrison, "You get the damn door since I don't know how to answer a door!" Stephens barely wiped the smile off his face before the door opened and Perrison was there, angry red in the face.

"What do you want, Marshall?"

"Wanted to ask why I had a private investigator, who happens to be one pissed off mother, in my office making a complaint about someone she claims works for you. Do you know an Alexander Crawford?"

Perrison was thinking, "That woman was a PI? This just kept on getting better and better!" Perrison kept his cool, though, while answering the Marshall. "She was just out here asking the same question. If she comes back again I'm going to call you and have her arrested for trespassing."

"You didn't answer my question. Do you know an Alex Crawford?"

"Yes, but like I told that bitch, if Alex did punch the kid, her son must have done something to antagonize Alex."

"Can you tell me where I can find this Crawford?"

Perrison paused a second, wondering whether to lie to the Marshall. "Can't say I know where he is. He comes when I need him, which I don't right now."

Stephens knew he was lying. "If you do see him, ask him to stop by my office so we can straighten this all out. Thanks Mr. Perrison."

The Marshall turned and left Perrison wondering why he didn't press the matter. "Damn, no wonder the guy is working in this one-horse town, he's a complete incompetent. But I guess we're lucky to have such an imbecile in town until I'm out of here." Perrison was talking to himself as he closed the door before shouting to the maid, "Helen, get your ass out of here and come back tomorrow!"

Helen was emptying the dishwasher as Perrison barked his order. She had a steak knife in her hand and fantasized what she'd like to do with it before closing the drawer and heading out the door without even saying goodbye to her employer.

The next part of Karin and April's plan worked as expected. The Marshall left, followed by the maid and within a half hour, Crawford's pickup pulled up to the garage as April sat fifty yards from the house. April immediately crawled under Crawford's vehicle and placed the GPS tracker on the inside of the spare tire.

The GPS tracker was cutting edge technology. Gone were the days when three car shifts were needed to tail a suspect. The tracker was motion sensitive which helped extend the battery life. When the vehicle started to move, the GPS sent a signal to a satellite giving its position. The signal continued while the vehicle was in motion and for thirty seconds after the vehicle stopped. The app on Karin's phone gave the vehicle's location within twenty yards.

After April finished attaching the tracker, she headed over to the house hoping to overhear anything.

Crawford and Perrison had every expectation of privacy, the maid was gone and they were over a half mile from the nearest house or road. April didn't have much trouble hearing their raised voices through an open window as both men yelled at each other.

"What the fuck did you think you were doing, threatening some kid in town?"

Nothing pissed off Crawford as much as this blowhard ex-officer who always thought he was superior in some way. He may be his boss, but Perrison wasn't shit without Alex to prop him up. "Listen asshole -- the kid was making noise, insisting his roommate wouldn't disappear like that."

"According to the Marshall, his mother is some kind of private detective."

"I knew that! What makes you think we need to worry about some private eye? Probably chases cheating husbands and wives. They're a dime a dozen."

"Let's hope so. She was out here asking to talk to Geena. Then the Marshall shows up asking if I know you and if I know where you are. This is getting way too complicated. I'm a year from getting the hell out of here with some real money and now this."

"You want me to get rid of the mom?"

"Crap -- no way, let's at least wait and see. The last thing we need is for a bunch of bodies starting to pile up."

Crawford almost smiled at Perrison's statement. It was lucky he didn't know about the female hiker or he'd really be sweating bullets.

Perrison finally calmed down. "Keep out of sight until this Roland bitch gets tired of hanging around and leaves. In the meantime, I'm going to make certain Lawson keeps his eyes and ears open. We're paying him enough; he can earn his money."

Crawford decided he needed to get laid, the attempt to pick up some strange at the PCT trailhead didn't work out and it sure wasn't going to happen in this town during the off season. "I'm leaving for Seattle tomorrow. If you need me, call, I'll only be a few hours away."

Perrison was happy Crawford was leaving town for a while. It was harder and harder dealing with the insubordinate prick. If only he didn't need the asshole!

*****

Crawford got into his truck and drove to his cabin in the back corner of the Perrison property. As the vehicle began to move, Karin could follow it on her cell phone. At the same time, she received a text from April. "Come pick me up." Karin started the car and went to collect her partner out by the county road. By the time Karin picked up April, Crawford's truck was sitting still for a while. Both Karin and April thought it odd, according to the Forest Service map, there shouldn't be anything at this location, right on the border between private property and the National Forest. They waited a half hour, but still the vehicle didn't move. Could Crawford have found the tracking device?

Maybe they underestimated Crawford and Perrison. Maybe the hunted became the hunters. If so, were they sitting ducks right now? Was Crawford somehow ready to pull a one-eighty? They talked it over.

"Listen Karin. There's only one way we'll know if we've found where Crawford is hiding out. I'm going to go and find out. Give me your cell so I can follow the GPS signal. You can track me with your 'find my phone' app."

"Why you?" asked Karin.

April was tempted to knock a couple times on Karin's prosthetic leg but thought that would be rude. Instead she answered Karin. "Because I've spent two years doing exactly this, creeping around the jungles in Central America. Please don't argue, you know I'm right."

Karin did know she was right, but she hated the idea of April going out there alone. "Be careful."

April smiled in return and headed out into the woods. Karin turned the car around and went back to where she previously waited. Waiting and worrying.

April made her way slowly through the dense trees keeping her eye out for game cams, booby traps or anyone hiding in wait. Two years in the Central American jungles helped April develop a keen sixth sense. The Pacific Northwest woods were different from the jungle, but the potential threats were somewhat similar.

Through the trees she caught sight of Crawford's truck in front of a small log cabin. The cabin could have been built a hundred years ago but it was in good repair. The logs were chinked and the roof was metal. There was a large cistern tank above the roof which meant they didn't run a well for fresh water. Twenty feet from the cabin there was an outhouse that appeared to still be in use. April spotted the generator on the south side of the cabin; the generator wasn't running. That was good, it meant there was a slim chance of any motion-sensitive lights in the area. But given Crawford's background, more than likely he would have booby-traps set up to protect his privacy.

After taking a few photos from different angles on Karin's phone, April backed off and ran toward the county road, texting Karin to pick her up. As soon as she stepped inside the car, she showed the photos to Karin. "We need to get him away from the cabin so I can take a look inside."

Karin agreed. "Marshall Stephens and I worked out a plan while you were away. This afternoon he'll lead Lawson to believe someone has found a body in the woods. Neither of us think Crawford would be stupid enough to bury a body on Perrison's land. He must have a place deep in the woods, a place where it's a thousand to one that it would be found. We'll play on his fear the 'one' happened. Chances are the missing woman is in the same spot. He'll wonder whether he left something that ties him to the murders."

"You're assuming Crawford murdered both of them?"

"As much as I'd like it different, I have little doubt that's the case. What we need to do is make certain Perrison is implicated for at least Ted's murder."

April nodded. "That plus what Singh pulled off of Harris' cloud account should be enough to send him away for a long time."

"I'd still like to find Ted's body. It will help his family get closure. Otherwise they'll always be wondering."

*****

Neither of them knew Alex Crawford was at that very moment searching his cabin for his only physical link to Ted's murder. While packing a bag for his Seattle trip and folding his light grey coat, he realized Ted Harris' Mini-Mag flashlight wasn't in the pocket of the coat. Crawford sat on the bed thinking, reviewing when he last had the flashlight. He remembered taking the coat off in Harris' Jeep. He put the coat in his backpack before taking off for his long hike home but couldn't remember whether the flashlight was still in the pocket.

"Son of a bitch!" he said it out loud. The flashlight was in one of two places, it was where he dropped off the body or in the damn Jeep. And it had his fingerprints on it. Did he dare return to either location looking for the flashlight? A better question was -- did he dare leave it to chance? Crawford sat silently swearing at his own stupidity when his phone rang and it became a moot question.

*****

Before leaving his office at mid-afternoon, Marshall Stephens called Deputy Lawson into his office.

"Lawson, you're in charge tomorrow. I just got a call from the Forest Service. Some hunter was out scouting and found something that looks like a body that's been chewed up. It might be nothing, it might be a crime scene. Which is why they asked me to ride along. I don't know how long this will take."

"Where's the body?"

"Hell, I forgot to ask. I was in the middle of something else when Ranger Page called. I'll let you know tomorrow."

The hook was ready, would Lawson take the bait?

Stephens wasn't out of the office for two minutes before Lawson was on the phone with Perrison.

"Colonel Perrison, you asked me to forward anything that might have something to do with Harris kid's disappearance and this might be something. The Forest Service Ranger called Marshall Stephens and said a hunter came across a body out in the woods."

"What makes them believe it's Ted Harris?"

"The Marshall didn't say, just said he and Page are headed out there first thing tomorrow morning."

Perrison hated dealing with these backwoods yahoos but kept his voice calm. "Where in the woods?"

"Didn't say that either."

It was getting harder for Perrison to keep his cool. He blurted out, "What do you know?"

Lawson almost told the jerk to go stuff himself until he remembered how much the old colonel was paying him and how he had promised to make him Marshall as soon as Stephens was out of the way. "Colonel, Stephens either didn't know or he wasn't sharing. I called you the minute he walked out the door. That's all I know."

Perrison was still bitching about the deputy's incompetence when he called Crawford with the news. Crawford didn't dare tell Perrison that he was so reckless as to lose the Harris kid's flashlight with his fingerprints on it.

"Any reason to believe it's the kid's body they found?"

"None, the Marshall didn't share any information with his deputy or didn't know. Could be Stephens is suspicious of Lawson and is keeping it from him. But how many bodies can there be out there?"

Crawford didn't answer Perrison's question since it was one more thing he kept from him -- that there was at least one other body in the forest, the girl he dumped a quarter mile from Harris -- and this one had some of his DNA inside of it. Another stupid mistake! Dumping both bodies so close to each other.

Perrison interrupted his thoughts. "Are you still going to Seattle tomorrow?"

"Yeah." Crawford didn't tell Perrison his plans between now and then. He'd run out and check the jeep first; then, if necessary, check the trail above the cliff face. The more he thought about it, the less he was concerned with the Gomez girl's body still having any DNA. Three weeks was plenty of time for the scavengers in these woods to complete their task.

Chapter Twelve

Karin and April sat at the picnic table outside the small pub just outside of town watching the GPS signal. They split a decent Reuben sandwich and an order of fries, both were disappointed having to drink a soft drink instead of any one of the twelve ales the pub had on tap. This wasn't the day to fool around with slowed reaction times.

1...456789