Forlorn Point Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Kent arrived on dry land and came straight to her.

"Darling, I came as soon as I could. Is there something the matter?"

Janice made a mighty effort to recover her self and said grimly, "Come up to the cottage."

Kent, puzzled by what he perceived was a cold welcome, and troubled by the grey of Janice's face, followed her.

Arriving at the cottage she bade him sit down, but remained standing herself.

Kent looked around and asked, "Where's Stuart?"

"You mean you don't know. It was splashed all over the media. Where have you been, on the moon?"

Kent gave awry grin. "Sort of. I've been out on fieldwork almost since the time I left here. I only got back yesterday."

Janice sank down onto a chair. So, that was it. He'd been out of communication at least as far as the general run of news was concerned. What now?

Having worked her self up to tell him what she thought of his neglect, she now had to climb down. How to begin?

"Stuart's dead, Kent."

Kent sat staring at her for a few moments, then, "How? When?"

Janice told him the story.

"Oh my love, I'd have been here the very first moment if I'd known. I feel terrible, leaving you alone at such a time."

His contrition melted Janice, but she maintained her rather grim aspect to deliver her next piece of news.

"I've got something else to tell you, and I'm not sure how you'll take it."

"Tell me."

"I…we, are going to have a baby."

In the right sort of film, the father overcome with the joy of this news, and the mother slightly tearful but with full face lighting, the symphonic strings soar heavenwards. I am saddened to tell you that this is not a film. There was no symphony orchestra, and neither Janice nor Kent followed the script.

"It's a bit difficult isn't it, darling," said Kent. "How long before we can decently get married do you think?"

"Well," said Janice copying Kent's approach, "I should like it to be before the birth. Would that be all right do you think?"

"Yes, yes I think so. By the way Janice, I think I mentioned this before, but in case I didn't, I really do love you."

"Yes, I know, but don't make that an excuse for not telling me so very, very often. And in case you are curious, yes, I love you like hell and don't you forget it. By the way, we'll discuss the matter of those field trips at some time, because you'll have to make very special arrangements with the baby and all. And one more thing. That was the worst proposal of marriage I've ever had."

Kent looked down at the floor, then looking up again said "I love you very much. Will you marry me?"

"Of course I will, you silly fool."

They stared at each other for a moment, then burst out laughing.