God of War: Love & Strength

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Place me near that fire, brother," Mimir bade Kratos. "I have reading to catch up on." Kratos grunted, placed Mimir's head near the fire, then placed an open book in front of Mimir. The severed head whispered a magic spell and smiled as various words in the book flashed bright and the pages began to turn on their own at appropriate times.

"Where did you learn to do that?" Kratos asked Mimir.

"From Hel's Eagle," Mimir answered. "It aids me, not having limbs. Go on, brother, relax. You have earned it."

Kratos grunted to show he agreed and moved to lay down his weapons. The Blades were unfastened from his wrists, hung on a nearby hook. He also laid down the Leviathan Axe after looking at his bald head and stern features in its reflective surface. I do not need to shave my beard just yet, Kratos decided. I grew it after I moved into my new home. It grew longer after I met Fey, and after Atreus was born. I will keep it a while longer. Judging the fire was now warm enough, he cast off and put aside his bearskin cloak. His armor and shield he kept on for now. He also kept on his Draupnir ring, ready to summon its spears to aid him if necessary. Many Hel-Walkers and other enemies still roamed Midgard. There would be further threats yet.

Freya coughed politely and Kratos turned to face her. "Yes?"

"Is there a privy?" she asked. "I would... freshen up."

Kratos grunted. He did not often need to use the privy, but Fey had needed to use it more regularly when he lived with her. Atreus also often needed to use the privy, and Kratos supposed other people also had such needs. "Out back," he directed Freya. "In the training area behind this home."

"Thank you."

"Perhaps you should..."

Freya smiled briefly at his obvious concern and tapped the two swords sheathed on her back. "I have these, and my magic. I will be fine."

Kratos nodded and grunted again. He then turned away from Freya as she left, his gaze not lingering on her, and sat down at the table. He opened the package of mementoes from Atreus again, looking over the contents. He perused the letter again, smiling at various details he was now able to read in depth. Atreus was doing well, aided in his journey at various points by Angerboda, Fenrir, and Jormugandr. He also had been aided by Thrud, Thor's daughter, and her fellow Valkyries. These allies were aiding Atreus in searching for the Jotnar. No Jotnar had been found yet, but Atreus retained hope.

"What's the matter, brother?" Mimir asked when Kratos grunted after reading the next paragraph.

"Atreus has traveled to strange Realms," Kratos grumbled in reply. "He has been quite busy since he left us after Ragnarok." The God of War held up various objects from the package of mementos as he spoke. "He found this amulet in the place you call the River Kingdom. A God there named Jehuty provided Atreus some valuable knowledge. Atreus also came into conflict with some other Gods in the Realm. One of them was named Sobeck and he had this reptilian scale."

"That Realm can be quite dangerous, brother," said Mimir. "But I'm sure Atreus can handle himself."

"Atreus says as much here. He is not in the River Kingdom now. He moved on to another Realm, where he picked up this arrowhead. This Realm is a 'dark place' ruled by a God named Xibalba." Kratos had difficulty pronouncing the strange name. Some other Gods with names difficult for him to pronounce were allied with Xibalba. A God of War that resembled a fast-moving bird, a feathered serpent, a smoking mirror... Kratos grunted as he described these Gods to Mimir.

"That's a dangerous Realm too!" the severed head proclaimed. "Please tell me Atreus has moved on from that awful place!"

"He has," Kratos said, reading the next paragraph. "He writes this letter from another Realm, one ruled by three Gods. A Creator, Preserver, and Destroyer." Kratos grunted as he read. "The Realm seems at peace between these three Gods. They gave Atreus this piece of rope. Atreus is seeking additional knowledge in that Realm before he moves on. He has also visited another Realm where he met a Monkey King that resembles him and a God of War that he says resembles me, a God called... Gwan Yu." Kratos showed Mimir a sketch of a red face with a long beard.

"Aye, that does look familiar. I have never been to that Realm. Meeting this strange God of War sounds intriguing. Does Atreus require our assistance?"

"Not at this time. He says if he needs help, he will send a... raven?"

A black bird croaked from the window at that moment, and Kratos turned and looked at the visitor. The creature was familiar but did not appear to be an immediate threat.

"Munin!" Mimir gasped, identifying the raven. "Odin's former pet. I guess she survived Ragnarok, as did Odin's other primary raven Hunin. They must be working with Atreus!"

Kratos looked back at the letter and nodded. "Atreus says that here, yes." He turned to address the raven. "I do not wish to compose an immediate reply. Give me time. Can Mimir summon you?"

Munin croaked several times at Mimir, who nodded when Kratos looked at him. The raven then flew away.

"The ravens no longer serve Odin now that they are free of his magic," Mimir said when Kratos remained silent for a moment. "Munin also says that Thor is watching over Atreus and Thrud. He is pleased that they are allies now. Thor is no longer in this Realm, and yes, Odin did kill him. However, he has become a 'Higher Being'."

Like Athena? Kratos wondered, not speaking aloud. I hope if Thor is now such a being, he will be an ally to me, not an enemy any longer. He sounds like an ally to his daughter and my son, that is good at least. "Does Thor know of his wife?"

"Aye, brother. Thor watches over her and the other remaining Aesir in Vanaheim too."

"Hmph," Kratos grunted, turning back to the letter. It took him only a few more moments to finish it. "Atreus is fine. He says not to worry." Kratos heard a chorus of clashing blades from outside, rose, and looked out one of the home's windows. Freya was assaulting a straw dummy in the yard out back, obviously working through some aggression. "We should not worry about that either. Freya is training."

"Good for her. Do you think she will stay with us now, or return to Vanaheim?"

"I do not know."

"Well, let me know if she tells you before me what she decides. In the meantime..." Mimir turned his eyes back to the open book.

Kratos grunted and turned back to the packaged mementos, looking again at various objects. A tablet Gwan Yu had given Atreus, a golden coin from a Realm called Takama no Hara, a spearhead from another Realm, a piece of cloth from another, and some other objects he could not immediately identify. The letter provided more details, but it would take Kratos significant time to read it over again and decide whether he should visit these other Realms it described. They did sound interesting, however if Atreus said they had no immediate dangers...

Kratos frowned suddenly. Additional words were appearing on the page before his eyes.

Notes- Atreus' letter references Egyptian, Mayan, Aztec, Chinese, Japanese, and Hindu lore among other mythological traditions. Christian and other lore will be referenced later. Please proceed to the next chapter.

*

Chapter 3- Introducing AchtungNight.

The God of War frowned suddenly, seeing additional words appear on the page before him. "Kratos," they read, "CB here. Be aware that a fanfic author is writing about you. A rogue boat captain is attempting to sail the ship which you and I, among others, command. You know what this means, right? We've talked about this."

Kratos at once felt angry. He did not like Gods messing with him, rogue fanfic authors in particular. But I wronged a boat captain once long ago, he also remembered. Is this a way to atone? Hmm.

More information flashed across the page. "This author enjoys your more popular stories, so he wants to write one himself. He prefers his video games concentrate on story over action. For his writing, he plays on higher difficulty levels. He wants a challenge from you, the ultimate God of War challenge if necessary. 'Give Him God of War' as he writes you if necessary, Kratos. He is fine with that.

"The author is also fine with you knowing his weaknesses. He's big on weaving in crossovers, satire, and Christian mythology. He likes 'The Wizard of Oz' and will be incorporating a pivotal scene from that story into his work. Here are some relevant visions. Also be aware that the author is immune to your weapons but not your divine will as a God of War. Use that will. The author's name in your language is..."

Kratos smiled, feeling his fear and anger fade. As tactics continued to flash before him, he grew ready for the challenge to come.

"Also be aware that this is not just about your character," CB continued. "Every character in the story other than you is also important to this author in various ways. He is very cupertic, he gets pleasure from observing other people's happiness. That includes the characters he creates. This author wants to see them all happy on some level. He respects that, as well as canon for his fanfiction, and I approve. This author is also shipping you and Freya. You know what all that means, right?"

Kratos knew indeed. Was he comfortable being shipped with Freya, he wondered, being put in a loving relationship with Freya by a rogue boat captain of a fanfic author? It did not take Kratos long to decide positively. He had already thought about Freya in private moments a few times. He knew he could never get with her in his main story, however. Their circumstances did not allow it. Unless, perhaps, it was different in this author's universe?

I hope he respects Freya and me both if that is so, Kratos thought. He could feel CB agreeing with this sentiment. Good, Kratos thought. Perhaps the author felt the same? Good. But know this, author, the God of War added. I will not make it easy for you.

"The author approves of your criteria," CB communicated. "Be aware he likes to imagine the characters he ships constantly lusting for one another's company, particularly in sexual situations. He then weaves in various other characters and tropes where he feels it appropriate for the story he is trying to write.

"The most important characters for this author in this story are you and Freya, and he's already got Freya on his side. Pretty much, anyway. Freya will be wavering a bit, you may need to give her support as you have already. The same is true of other characters on a lesser level. Ultimately, this story is about you and Freya facing the challenge of getting together and making your story better in the author's personal fanfic universe. If you don't like the author, you may end the story and thus kill him as you did that boat captain long ago. But this fanfic author wants to keep sailing through your universe, Kratos. Would you like him to keep sailing through it? Take your time deciding. But Be Ready. Are you ready?"

Kratos nodded and put the letter aside. He could feel CB's approval in his mind.

Challenge! Kratos commanded silently. Come!

*

Chapter 4: Assisting Freya.

Time around Kratos unfroze in answer to his command, as if a higher entity was controlling his surroundings.

"Kratos!" Freya shouted from outside just then. "I need you!"

"Go to her, brother!" Mimir shouted as Kratos at once leaped to his feet. "I can wait for you here!"

Kratos activated his Draupnir ring and a spear appeared in his hand. He also recalled his Leviathan Axe to his open hand so it would be close if needed. The Blades of Chaos he left behind for now.

His weapons ready, Kratos rushed to the training yard and there found Freya in combat with several Hel-Walkers. Wandering Monsters near my home, Kratos judged them, recognizing the blue humanoid undead creatures wielding various weapons. I may have to renew the Protection Stave.

He threw his Draupnir spear at the nearest Hel-Walker, hitting it in the throat. Kratos summoned another spear as the Monster dissolved into blue mist, lunging quickly at a pair of Hel-Walkers that were moving towards him.

Freya smiled as she watched Kratos eliminate the Monsters with a quick series of thrusts. Three more Hel-Walkers were close to her. She wielded her Aesir sword and engaged them, covering the Monsters in Bifrost energy with several sword slashes. A quick ballet switch to her Vanir sword, and the energy exploded with her next strike, destroying two of the Hel-Walkers. The Bifrost had faded from the third Hel-Walker, which evaded her thrusts. Freya waved her hand and a vine came out of the ground, knocking the Hel-Walker off its feet. The vine then coiled around the Hel-Walker at Freya's direction, and she sliced off the entangled Monster's head.

Kratos, having slain his own opponents, looked around for further threats. Two Hel-Archers were on a ridge nearby, aiming arrows in his direction. Two quick thrown spears vanquished them. Another Hel-Walker was approaching Kratos from the right. A thrown spear took care of that Monster also. Another Hel-Archer was nearby, a stronger one. Kratos threw his Axe at that enemy and eliminated it.

"Hel-Viken!" Freya shouted. "On your left!"

This large muscular Hel-Walker would require more advanced tactics, Kratos recalled quickly. The Hel-Viken's club wounded Kratos while he debated tactics. He thrust a spear into the Monster's stomach, released that spear and backed away, then summoned another spear and slammed its stave on the ground. The spear embedded in the Hel-Viken exploded, knocking it down. Freya waved her hand and vines entangled the Monster. Kratos threw and exploded several more spears, destroying the Hel-Viken. Freya meanwhile dispatched two more Hel-Walkers approaching them with her Vanir sword, moving quickly with use of her Valkyrie Wings.

"Are there more?" Kratos asked her, recalling his Axe to his hand as he looked around.

"On your right!"

Kratos' thrown Axe slew the aiming Hel-Shadow Archer right after its arrow wounded Kratos. The wound was not serious, thankfully.

"Tatzelwurm at your feet!"

Kratos quickly stabbed the furry reptile rising from the ground with his newest summoned spear. He then left that spear embedded in the twitching Tatzelwurm as he leapt away, then quickly detonated the spear to destroy the Monster.

"Enemy behind you, Kratos!"

Kratos turned around quickly and saw another Hel-Viken approaching, flanked by two more Hel-Walkers. All three of the Monsters wounded Kratos while he debated tactics. He moved quickly, scrambling to get away. Kratos summoned another spear and directed a blast of wind magic at the monstrous trio, sweeping them back. A wall of vines summoned by Freya rose to further separate and isolate each of the Monsters. Kratos moved to slay them, unleashing various moves from his arsenal. The situation was not right for his spear now, so he summoned his Leviathan Axe and swapped between them. A Light Runic Attack to damage the Hel-Viken, a Heavy Runic Attack to dispatch it. Kratos switched weapons as he engaged the other two enemies. Two quick spear stabs for one Hel-Walker, a few Axe swings for the other. A Spartan Kick to another Tatzelwurm that appeared, followed by another embedded and detonated spear. A Hel-Archer was taking aim. Kratos' thrown Axe defeated that target. One more Hel-Walker was attacking Freya, it was already covered in Bifrost. She had slain three more Hel-Walkers approaching her also. Kratos killed the final Hel-Walker with a Bifrost explosion trigged by his thrusting spear.

"That was the last," he said after another look around. No further enemies threatened them. Time to check on Freya now, Kratos decided, since the immediate threats are gone. This fanfic author threatening me can wait, Freya is my main concern. "Are you injured?"

Freya looked at a deep cut on her arm and healed it with a quick spell. "Not any longer. You?"

Kratos smashed several Health Stones dropped by his slain enemies and relaxed as he absorbed their magic. "I am fine."

"Good. I already renewed your Protection Stave."

It took him an instant to realize the implication in Freya's words. Kratos recalled his Axe, summoned another spear, and turned to face Freya, keeping the weapons ready. "You canceled the Protection Stave's magic on my home?"

"By accident. I was seeing if it needed strengthening. The Jotnar magic was unfamiliar." Freya held her open hand in a peaceful gesture, keeping her sword lowered but ready in case Kratos were to attack. She had faith he would not, that was obvious from her expression, but she still appeared uncertain what he would do.

As she should be, Kratos thought. There was a time when her presumption would have earned her death from me, no matter her intention. I remind myself now that Freya is my friend. I can think of no better ally than her. So her presumption must be excused. "The Monsters were nearby?"

"Yes. They got in before I could renew the Protection Stave. Do you know much about its magic?"

"Some things," Kratos said after a moment, "but not enough. Fey tried to teach me the magic of Protection Staves, but never finished her lessons. Atreus and Mimir know such magic better than I."

"I thought as much. I will have to teach you what I can. Later. Are you... angry with me?"

Kratos let out a heavy grunt. "No," he said after a pause. "But please ask me next time before you take such presumptive action." He waved his hand and his spear disappeared. He had already sheathed his Axe.

"I apologize," Freya sighed, putting away her drawn sword. She ran a hand through her hair and took a deep breath. "The Monsters were on me before I could reactivate the Stave. I renewed it after we dispatched the first group. I'm glad those Monsters could remind us we need each other." She frowned. "There was also a raven flying away- Munin, one of Odin's command ravens. I do not see Munin now." She looked around nervously.

"Munin is Odin's raven no longer," Kratos informed her. "Atreus directs Munin and Hunin now."

"Oh? His letter told you this? Good." Freya nodded as Kratos grunted and looked around. "Your Stave was hard to charge from a distance, but I have expanded its magic now," Freya said after making a series of gestures. "It now encloses the area around your home in a sphere with a four mil radius." She translated that measurement when Kratos asked her and he grunted in reply. "We are safe, there are no other immediate threats. However, I do need to speak with you about something."

Kratos looked around to make his own tally of threats, saw none, and then turned back to Freya. "Speak."

"Let's keep this between you and me," Freya said, glancing at the hut. "I would prefer we not involve Mimir in this if not immediately necessary. It is good you left him inside. I have cast a spell of silence around us to prevent eavesdropping. Also, I have been told a 'fanfic author' is writing about us. Do you know what that means?"

"Hmph," Kratos grunted, raising a thick eyebrow.

"I see," said Freya, interpreting his grunt. "Your 'main author' CB talked about this author to you, I'm guessing. I've spoken to his agents as well, Snorri Sturluson in particular spoke to me about the author. He is to me what CB is to you. Do you know what all that means?"

Kratos grunted again.

"I'm already on the fanfic author's side, I just need support from you and to provide further explanation of how it happened," Freya said. "Do you understand?"

"Hmph," grunted Kratos.

"Good. Let's get to the main challenge then. You may want to sit down." Freya directed him to a nearby log. She wiped some sweat from her brow with her sleeve, then sat down on the log herself.

Kratos sat down beside her as requested. He had a good amount of sweat on his biceps and other muscles, but he did not need to wipe that sweat at this moment. "Speak," he said again when Freya seemed to have recovered her composure.