All Comments on 'Going Fishing'

by clarissaj1982

Sort by:
  • 4 Comments
hoo_hoo_boohoo_hoo_booalmost 8 years ago

I love the way you find polarities and quickly pull them together into composure. Thank you.

moyaroomoyarooalmost 8 years ago
Nice story

Nice story well done. It could use a few technical points- 1A didn't mean infantry in and of itself it only meant ready to draft. Then there is the timing. After induction he would have 8 weeks of Basic followed by eight weeks of Advanced Individual Training (AIT) which in his case may well have been infantry. He would have had leave before shipping out to Nam so the earliest he would get there assuming this story takes place in late August would be mid January- on his time frame he would have surely been granted leave for Christmas. On the other hand if the story were set in early June right at High School graduation, he could have gone off and been killed in December. Bad luck but it could have happened that way.

maddictmaddictalmost 8 years ago
The things they carried, by Tim O Brian

I'm noticing lots of Vietnam storys about. You story ends to abruptly as does a young man's life, that might of come to be a part of our contiume.

I hope its just a story for you. My older friends served in country, some talked about their experiance, other well we just drank together. I'm grateful to the protesters who helped put a end to that conflict, and I avoided that whole mess by just a few years.

I think we all realise the mistake some made to blame our soldiers for actions we as a nation were not prepared to solve.

I look at our world today, has much changed ?

ReefBeachReefBeachalmost 8 years ago
Short & to the point

I almost thought, too short. But it's all about stuff that's cut off short: friendships, lives, etc.

nice touches, like biting his shoulder. That was good!

The military errors of detail didnt worry me. It's a story after all. A poignant end, another one that came too soon.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous