All Comments on 'Guy Talk'

by ReedRichards

Sort by:
  • 41 Comments
betrayedbylovebetrayedbylovealmost 6 years ago
Okay

I've read part 2. Still needs way more detail.

Still no rating. But I'll be waiting for the next chapter. Not too long, please.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
What?

Who is going to have that much money wrapped up in a business without having a prenup or even a postnup? Shit makes no sense.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

put a pi on all 4 of them

tazz317tazz317almost 6 years ago
NO MATTER WHAT THE OUTCOME

there is always an element of doubt. TK U MLJ LV NV

johntcookseyjohntcookseyalmost 6 years ago
I’ve had this conversation

Not on a golf course, and never with more than one friend at a time, but similar to this. Never any really grounded suspicions - just the recognition that anything is possible with our wives, and it really is ultimately out of our control. They’re living breathing human beings with wants and needs and expectations and temptations and free will - at least in this part of the world (thank god).

In a way it’s kind of liberating, if you concede that other people’s actions are not your responsibility.

I like it. Well done.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsalmost 6 years agoAuthor
Anony who asked about a prenup

Note that I mentioned that Joan put George through law school: they were married before he became a lawyer, which was how I envisioned all four couples. More than that, they started their law firm, Equus, not that long ago.

Impo_64Impo_64almost 6 years ago
That's how four lawyers would talk...

That's how four lawyers would talk and think about their lives and about where the decisions they could take would lead! They would all choose not to know and believe no one cheated...3*

swingerjoeswingerjoealmost 6 years ago
Huh?

I thought I understood where you were going with this, but this sequel added absolutely nothing to the original. The girls’ chat introduced the question: if we have an affair and our husbands never find out, would it hurt them? This sequel should have answered that question in some way, but whiffed.

So...what was the point?

ValintValintalmost 6 years ago
Seems kind of pointless

In the first story, the characters at least had some sort of agency, where they're the ones who get to decide whether or not to cheat.

The obvious converse would have the husbands talk about whether fucking their secretaries really takes anything away from the wives, which similarly seems a bit meaningless as a story in and of itself, but at least gives the husbands agency.

This, however, is basically just the husbands sitting around with their thumbs up their asses, musing on the fact that it's completely up to their wives to decide if they're faithful, and the husbands will never know either way.

It feels like there's an obvious conclusion of some sort the story could take (e.g., "We don't know either way, so let's live our lives under the assumption they are/aren't faithful.", "I could find out by hiring a PI, and here's the costs/benefits of finding out, so I am/aren't going to do that."). Instead, the story just kind of peters out to nothing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Series

assuming this is the 2d part of a series, you should attach a number to each part. At least that would discourage readers from giving you lower scores that you earn until you publish the meaty chapters.

amyyumamyyumalmost 6 years ago
Not as good as Girl Talk, but sitll nice.

4* from me.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Follow up was disappointing

Not sure what I was expecting, but this went the least interesting route suggested by the first story.

MaxiMilfMaxiMilfalmost 6 years ago
Awesome

Nice set up for next installment. Good job. Looking forward to more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Waste of time

Nothing really happened. Why bother?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Hard to relate to such shallow tepid marriage relationships.

How depressing, a Don't Ask Don't Tell marriage. And what kind of friendship and camaraderie is that? No, not the business partners, the marriage partners! They are playing golf, every Saturday morning, with only their business partners? They married women too clumsy or too lazy to play golf? OK, how about tennis, bicycling, hiking, sailing, birding, sporting clays. What kind of man prefers the company of other men to their spouse, every fucking Saturday? Men they see every day!

Not sorry, I don't get it. Go marry someone who is fun to play with, plan with, spend time with, laugh and joke with. All these manikins should just release each other from their comfortable sterile bondage and go find a true marriage partner.

The characters in this story can't cheat on each other. There's nothing they bring to the marriages that their spouses would miss. They are right, divorce is a lousy option. People this lifeless and unimaginative would just fuck up their next marriage in the same way.

Can't wait for chapter 3. I love Velveeta personalities.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Not good

Itty bitty teeny tiny bits of a story are not “chapters”. If this actually a story that is going somewhere, post a lot more of it at once.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Could go many different ways.

I will hold off rating. This until it plays out.

26thNC26thNCalmost 6 years ago
Need more

Need more to rate. I know you're a damn good writer, but the slow buildup is killing me.

WhackdoodleWhackdoodlealmost 6 years ago
5 stars

Because you really captured the essence of marriage: if you know any divorce will fuck you 7 ways from Sunday, would you want to know if your wife was cheating on you?

My only complaint is that one page is too short.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
I CAN'T BELIEVE

I paid the electricity, to run my phone, to read this 😖☹.

I want a refund from the utility company.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
GUY/GIRL Talk

man don't leave us fucking hanging! Finish The Damn Story!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Nope

Wives would not get half of everything or any parr of the business so for lawyers they're fucking dumb as shit, all of them would check up on their wives now since it's human nature to want to know since the subject was brought up. Oh finnish the damn story.

patilliepatilliealmost 6 years ago
Where is thiss going?

if anywhere? Some good intro's, but is it going to develop into a real story with beginning (what you've written so far) middle and end?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
LOL!

If you're a Republican it is now okay to screw around on your spouse. In fact douchebag Donnie might even let you watch while he fucks your wife. LOL!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago

If your even remotely worried and worth that kind of money start to hide it and if you have kids start to pay off they’re stuff and move money to there named

chytownchytownalmost 6 years ago
Fun Read****

Thanks for sharing.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsalmost 6 years agoAuthor
Anony: remotely worried

That’s just it: the men’s money is tied up in their law firm, and that means an accountant, and it gets harder to hide money legally. Since at least one of the partners has admitted to dipping his wick where he shouldn’t have, it becomes even more of a problem.

These guys are lawyers, in a specialized field; they don’t have much experience with divorce.

waratahwaratahalmost 6 years ago
Very wrll writen storu

Intrigued by where this could go. One minor gripe, could you call them chaprer 1, 2,3 etc so we dont miss them?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
I can't take this anymore

Cheating husband's. Slut wives. In all your stories it's the same. She fucks some asshole and he forgives her. Or the guys talking about the other women they're fucking. All these stories are pure bullshit. I've known a lot of men whose wives have cheated on them and not one said 'Oh well. It was just a mistake. Come here baby. All is forgiven. Let's fuck.' These stories are total women's fantasies. She can fuck around and he'll forgive her anything. I call bullshit.

trandall9991trandall9991almost 6 years ago
Two stories

Where the spouses both talk about cheating and a one star from me. Finish the story, and burn the damn cheater.

rodryder44rodryder44over 5 years ago
Guy Talk

Not as interesting as the conversations among the wives. Naturally Ringo was a bad boy. Gave the story 3***s. Sorry

bworth1943bworth1943over 5 years ago
just talk?

The women seem to believe a possibility of cheating wont hurt anything , or perhaps even bring more excitement to their marriage. On the other hand the husbands not considering cheating themselves, believe their wife cheating would be a disaster to their relationship. Truthfully cheating in any form shows disrespect for a partner and cannot be tolerated. A group of four lawyers can surely make a case against any of the wives who cheat, that they would get nothing but kicked to the curb. Wives beware......

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
An obvious problem is

that in both stories it doesn't appear that anyone is passionately in love with his or her spouse. It's almost as if they're just fwbs. So, if a wife cheats, all that really matters is the money side of things (btw, a divorce wouldn't affect a law partnership's existence). If a husband finds she is, well just continue on and find some sex on the side. These are characters that no one cares about, so the story is flat. BTW, the law firm can't be worth $67 million...there are some technical issues that don't matter, but that ought to have been caught.

WittonWittonalmost 5 years ago
Do some research re: the backstory

The male protagonists are very successful lawyers practicing in and around Lexington, Kentucky concentrating in the horse racing business.

The author exaggerates just how successful these men are; a four man law firm that isn't doing contingency cases isn't worth multiple millions - I don't care what their hourly rate is. Let's agree that each has a net worth in the low single digit millions

They play golf on a municipal course and not a particularly challenging one at that; considering the money they're making and the socially elevated nature of their clientele (watch the telecast of the Kentucky Derby and wait for the camera to pan the owners boxes) they would belong to a private club they could take prospective clients

They don't do divorces, but ... and this is a very important but ... to pass the bar exam they would have had to know that Kentucky law mandates equitable division of marital property. Except - maybe - for the decision about the amount of alimony the judge isn't going to waste his time hearing litigants and their lawyers complain about their about to be ex-spouse's infidelity.

(I didn't hit the wrong keys - even a woman who cheated openly and continuously will get alimony if her financial situation requires it - just not as much)

So: the guys would know that catching their spouses in flagrante delicto isn't going to be a game changer so far as them saving money Presumptively tangible assets will go fifty-fifty or close to that; where they guys could get hammered (I don't know Kentucky law on the subject) is if the law practices got a valuation based on the way above average incomes they produce - alimony is based on what they do produce but some states capitalized the amount above average (the "excess"). For instance: suppose this "excess" amount is $250,000 a year - and the capitalization rate 10% - that would give the practice that produces this "excess" a capital value of $2.5 million of which the spouse would get half.

A few states adopted this rule in the mid-80s. I didn't do divorces very often, and now not at all, but at the request of a judge I represented one wife whose lawyer husband beat me down in negotiations (he thought) and settled for a capitalized value of a quarter of a million of which my client got half. My CPA thought the figure should have been much, much higher.

Our divorce case settled, and the ex-husband went about his business more or less happily until the state supreme court ruled that this rule was NOT the law in our state - at the time we settled one trial court judge had ruled that it was the law, and the supreme courts hadn't ruled on the appeal. So, the husband lawyer had bet and lost - he couldn't get out of the property settlement agreement he had willingly made.

I don't know whether that rule of valuing the capitalized excess value of professional practices is in force anywhere now, let alone Kentucky. Probably not - in any case our golfing buddies would have been preternaturally aware of its existence.

So - we have a situation where if the wives were properly counseled - surely at least one of them has had a friend who became acquainted with Kentucky divorce law the hard way - they would know that some reasonably discrete fooling around would not likely precipitate a divorce; lawyers make a living by staying calm and rationale. The wives would have to be ready for retaliation, though. The author could make a multi-part saga out of this: first one wife would go for it, then a spouse (not necessarily hers) and back and forth until all eight were involved and then they would turn inward and start on the members of of their own group and the lawyers would find they couldn't play golf or practice law with guys who were screwing his wife (didn't matter he'd screwed theirs) and the whole thing goes to hell

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
This author isn’t very imaginative!

These guys are lawyers. If they want to hide money from the wives, they know how to do that. First off they would register their company offshore to keep it out of any divorce settlement. If there were really good, they would move their company and residences to Georgia (no alimony) or North Carolina (sue for alienation of affection) which has better divorce laws! Since their company was established before they were married, smart lawyers would have bullet proofed the business from divorces since they would want to lose control of the business due to divorce which is 50% in the USA!

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Ignorant asshats...

TajfaTajfaabout 3 years ago

Is there a third part?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Nice intro! Then the cliff.

Doesn’t even quality as a story. What a waste.

Get real and actually write a whole entire story.

This shouldn’t have even been accepted.

Wasted our time and you lose points.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 1 year ago

Continued in “Does Talk Lead To Action”!

B3ndoverB3ndoverover 1 year ago

Nothing new here but I liked it

nixroxnixrox12 months ago

3 stars - BUT WHY CAN'T WE HAVE SEQUENTIAL CHAPTERS

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous