Happy Anniversary - A Ghost Story

Story Info
Is true love eternal?
1.9k words
4.41
16.6k
22
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A short story for this Halloween Season. Kate and I recently toured Eastern Oregon and California in our trailer. One night after checking into an RV park deep in the woods, the germ of this story came to me. Kate and I swapped ideas; this is the result.

*****

August 23, 2012

Kathy 'Kit' Carson sat in the CruiseAmerica camper; building up the courage to enter the registration office of the RV park. She almost laughed at herself; why hesitate now after traveling over six-hundred miles to reach this spot in the middle of nowhere?

Kathy shrugged her shoulders, put the vehicle in 'park' and walked into the log frame building. A sixty-something woman who could have passed for an extra in a Hollywood pioneer movie stood behind the counter.

"Good morning" the woman gave Kathy a smile of welcome.

"Good morning, I'm Kathy Carson. I have a reservation for a campsite."

"Sure, have you in number nineteen. Here's a map of the grounds. All your hookups are ready: power, water, sewer. Do you need any help?"

"I don't know. They showed me how to do it at the rental office; but this will be the first time by myself."

"Well, let me know if you need anything; my name's Jan." Jan paused a moment. "Was it a husband or child?"

Kathy stared for just a second before answering. "My husband."

"I'm sorry; I hope this works out for you."

Kathy's eyes began to tear. "Thank you." She paid Jan in cash and headed back to the RV.

It had been just over a year since the tragic death of Master Sergeant Nathan 'Nate' Carson in a training accident at Fort Lewis-McChord JBLM. Nate was less than two years from retirement when it happened and the two of them were looking forward to his becoming a private citizen again.

Tomorrow would have been their twentieth wedding anniversary. Kathy was having a hard time celebrating it alone. Everyone said time would heal the hole in her heart; but it wasn't happening. The days just got harder. Maybe this week in the Shasta-Trinity National Forest would change that. Kathy was at the point of grasping at straws.

Kathy laughed the first time she read about this place. People came from all over the world to reconnect with loved ones who were no longer with us. Some mystical/magical hole in the Universe allowed them to spend time together once again. Kathy said a silent prayer as she hooked up the RV lines, wishing these stories were true.

With nothing to do but wait; Kathy spent the day sitting in a beach chair reading the book she brought with her and drinking half a bottle of Pinot Gris. The sun went down behind the Cascades and Kathy went to bed.

The next morning Kathy woke up, sleepily disoriented; it took a moment to remember where she was, but mostly because for the first time in over a year something was in bed with her. Terrified, Kathy turned her head.

"Good morning, Kit."

Kathy looked into those blue eyes and broke out in tears. She reached out and actually touched skin. Nate wrapped her up in his arms; they kissed before Nate removed Kathy's nightshirt to press his full body against hers. Kathy felt Nate's morning wood - this was just one of the many things she missed; being taken by Nate in the morning.

Nate and Kathy made love just like they always did, with passion, lust and love. They wanted to be able to see each other, so the good old missionary position filled their needs. Nate held off until he felt the moment Kathy had her first orgasm, then he let go. Kathy grabbed his shoulders and squeezed when she felt Nate's orgasm inside her.

They got up, made coffee and sat to talk at the picnic table. Nate looked at the mountains and said, "Let's take advantage of this beautiful summer day by taking a hike through the woods." When they reached a hidden clearing, they made love again. This time with Kathy on Nate's lap. Nate squeezing Kathy's breasts or tickling her nipples with his teeth.

That evening they were in bed and Kathy was holding Nate tight. "I read about a woman who comes back to this place every year. She gets to spend a day every year with her husband."

"He should let her go; he's just being selfish. She spends 364 days a year alone, that's no way to live."

Kathy shook her head, "I don't want to let you go."

"You don't have a choice. This is the last time we'll be together."

"No, don't say that, Nate!"

"Kathy, it's possible to love more than one person in a lifetime. You're only forty-two years old and still look twenty years younger than you are."

Kathy was shaking her head.

"Kathy - we'll always love each other, we've had an entire day to finally say "good-bye" to each other and some day we'll be together for eternity. How much luckier could two people be?"

"What happens if I fall in love with another man and marry again? How can I spend eternity with you and him, too?"

"I asked Saint Peter about that. He said even he can't explain it; but the 'Big Guy' takes care of it and it all works out."

"Saint Peter? Like the Pearly Gates Saint Peter?"

"Yea, but the Pearly Gates are a myth; there's no pearls on them. Now, let's spend our last night thinking good, joyous thoughts and not worry about tomorrow."

"Easier said than done," thought Kathy; but she did her best. They made love again; this time with Kathy on all fours in their most physical position, Nate pounding away from behind and once again with Nate above Kathy kissing her while barely moving. Kathy's moved from underneath Nate, mounting him for a cowgirl ride where each came for the last time. The trailer rocked until after midnight when they finally wore each other out and fell asleep.

Kathy woke up in the morning and was afraid to turn around; but felt Nate's hand on her shoulder. Kathy turned to see Nate's smiling face. Nate leaned over and gave her a kiss.

"Good-bye, Kit. I love you."

"I love you." Kathy could barely get the words out.

"I know, I always knew." Nate faded away.

It took Kathy an hour to contain herself. She finally stopped crying, got up and made a cup of coffee, dressed and prepped the RV to head home.

Kathy checked out at the office. Jan was back behind the counter. "Taking off so soon? How did it work out?"

"Wonderful, except the good-bye, of course. Thank you."

"No need to thank me; someone else arranges the meetings; but you're welcome. Will I see you again?"

"I don't think so; he said I should get on with my life."

"A wise man. I hope you take his words to heart. Good luck to you and God bless."

Three years later Kathy Johnson was sitting in the driver's seat of her husband's Cadillac SUV at the same RV park; not much appeared to have changed in the intervening years. Her husband of one year, Marcus, was sitting in the passenger's seat.

"So, this is it?" Like any reasonable person, Marcus was skeptical of Kathy's ghost story. His mother had told him such stories when he was a small child; but four years at Stanford where he was a running back and Chemistry major knocked much of the spirituality out of his head and heart.

"Hi babe." At the sound of the voice from the back seat, both Kathy and Marcus nearly jumped out of their seats. "I'm sorry; that was mean of me."

Kathy recovered before Marcus; enough to make the introductions. "Marcus, let me introduce you to Nate, my supposedly 'gone forever' late husband. Nate, this is Marcus, my husband."

"Pleased to meet you Marcus."

Marcus was still too stunned to respond. Kathy reached for Nate's hand. "I thought you said last time I wouldn't ever see you again."

"Well, it should have been; but this was just too good an opportunity to meet Marcus and to tell you how happy I am you took my suggestion to get on with your life. But really? A guy fifteen years younger than you? You little Mrs. Robinson!"

Nate saw the look on Kathy's face. "Oh, I'm teasing! You still look twenty years younger than your age. I'm betting Marcus here has a hard time keeping up."

Now Marcus had a look on his face; wondering how safe it was to correct a spirit. Do spirits get jealous? Before he could say anything, Nate continued.

"Oh, now I'm teasing you, Marcus. I can see you keep in shape."

With the introductions and Nate's typical attempts at humor out of the way, the three of them began a most surreal conversation: How did you two meet? Where are you living? All the usual meet up questions.

Of course, Nate already knew most of the answers; but it seemed polite to ask them and pretend to listen to the responses. Marcus asked a couple questions about the after-life, but Nate had to beg off; it was against the rules to talk about heaven and Nate already got in trouble when he told Kathy about Saint Peter and the non-Pearly Gates.

Nate also didn't tell them about his visit to their home a few months ago to check up on Kathy, just to make certain she was doing OK. He knew she remarried and wanted to see how it was going. Since the visit didn't take place in the Mystical Forest, he only had the option of coming in a non-physical form.

The trouble was, the timing couldn't have been any worse. Kathy and Marcus were engaging in a bit of afternoon delight. Marcus had the physique of a lifetime athlete and the 'equipment' to keep Kathy a very satisfied woman. It was definitely 'too much information' and Nate quickly got the heck out of there.

Nate decided it was best to keep it all a secret; that kind of thing can really creep a person out. He also decided this was his last visit; time to fade away for good. Nate told a little lie (sometime allowed, even for angels, if the reason is good) and said he only appeared in their car because it was on the property.

"This really should be the last time, Kit. You two get going; where are you heading?"

"We thought we'd do some hiking in Yosemite. Stopping here was on the way and Marcus wanted to see it."

Marcus smiled. "Yea, and now I'm not so sure it was such a good idea. Kinda turns all my beliefs upside-down."

"Well, you should have listened to your Momma and kept going to church. She said to say "hello" by the way. Said she's happy you found such a good woman after that gold-digger Evonne dumped you."

"You know my Momma?"

"Sure, we've become good friends since you and my wife got together. She's in the Choir."

"Momma always had a beautiful voice."

"Still does. Time for me to go." Nate leaned over the front seat and gave Kathy a kiss on the cheek. "I love you." Then he reached over and took Marcus' hand. "Thanks for taking such great care of Kathy. You're a good man."

"Tell Momma I said "hi" and give her my love."

"You bet. Good-bye." And Nate faded away. This time forever - really.