All Comments on 'Hell to Pay Ch. 03'

by woodmanone

Sort by:
  • 45 Comments
Phxray54Phxray54over 13 years ago
Outstanding!

Thanks for the warning. We had some trouble with gas supplies a few years ago, out here in the desert. It wouldn't take much to set things off but then I'm getting old and paranoid.

Well written, excellent word images.

Many thanks for your efforts and sharing your fine talent.

sailordblj1966sailordblj1966over 13 years ago
Another great read

Woodman. You did it again another great story that had me glued to my seat. Keep up the great work.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Woody, you never disapoint!

Great story with a bangup conclusion. Keep them coming, please.

wolfestonewolfestoneover 13 years ago
Nice Story!

A well written, captivating story. I looked forward to the sequential episodes and will watch for woodmanone's future publications.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
The Best

I really liked it keep it up. Good story

wideeyedgrinwideeyedgrinover 13 years ago

I've really enjoyed reading your stories. Great work!

Sidney43Sidney43over 13 years ago
Good story

Pretty realistic about what would happen when the computers break down. Those that know how to protect themselves should do OK and those that rely on the police don't do so well.

I suppose it makes for a better story line, but never give vermin a second chance. Kill them and be done with it. If it bothers you work it out later since at least you are alive to do so.

hodunkhodunkover 13 years ago
Another great story by a great writer

Once again you have exceeded my expectations ! What a great story !

I as always am waiting for your next great story, and you haven't dissapointed me yet. THANK YOU !

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Awesome

I have discovered three authors who always write great stories, you are one of the three. I have enjoyed every story you have written. Thank you, I hope you keep writing for a long time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Great.

Thanks for another great story, I hope that it is not over.

bruce22bruce22over 13 years ago
Very enjoyable SF tale.

Creativity and good writing skills go a long way!

charlie2tcharlie2tover 13 years ago
Another great story

As usual your story has exceeded all expectations. Your descriptions and knowledge of fieldcraft tell me that you have either had some training or have done some serious research. Keep up the good work. I really enjoy your writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
what is wrong with the hearing of dixie??

the sniper told dixie to be4 careful of strangers,,and here she is offering food to strange men??? and when the "sniper" had them covered from the woods,,why did he not take the shot...small woman,, big bad guy,,shoot him,,and if dixie gets potted in the process,,wellll,,she caused it all anyway.... i generally liked the story,,but it had some,,"too soft"" places in it...

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
this story is a foreteller of our future

good story, well written. this could well be what's in store for all of us. we should all keep emergency supplies, weapons and ammo on hand and know how to survive. hank williams wrote and sung it best. a country boy can survive. keep up the good writing.

kzchopperkzchopperover 10 years ago
Great story!

Loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Five Stars

Wow, that was great--had me on the edge of my chair. Thanks. tom anon

P.S. I think I need to get more ammo for my two hand guns and shotgun.

Maybe pick up a rifle.

P.P.S. I think I love Dixie

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Very interesting

This story has shown some real possibilities of the reality of an electronics attack. Hope it never happens but like stated, you never need a gun until you need one.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketabout 9 years ago
Definitely food for thought

I have been heavy into computers for 35 years. I have come to the conclusion over the last five years that the world has become way too dependent on them to do and control all aspects society. Fifty years ago all utilities, financial transactions, communication, and distribution net works were done manually. I now believe that in theses and other areas we need to retrench and at least again have these areas backed up so that their actions can again be done manually.

kjohns2001kjohns2001almost 9 years ago
Great ending

The great ending saved the story. The woman made up for her stupidity, the man saved a bunch of people, and the author even managed to find a way for the nurse to get a chance at romance.

Now for a bit of real world speculation. If you hole up in a hideaway for God's sake have sense enough to camouflage the road into it! Then have sense enough to put a movable barricade tied into an alarm of some kind to let you know if someone tries to move it. And always have sense enough to realize that someone on foot might be waiting outside with bad intentions so that you never step blindly into harms way. The use of a bow, both for hunting and defense is a good idea, not just for the silence but to save ammo. Never forget that the sound of a gunshot is not the only giveaway you have to worry about. The smell of woodsmoke and light that can be seen at night can reveal your presence every bit as much as the sound of a gunshot.

Overall this story hits some of these, but badly missed on others. Any experienced soldier should know most of these points and also know the importance of wearing a helmet and armor in such a situation. Wounds become a much more serious issue when medical help is limited or nonexistent, even minor wounds.

Still a great story though. Take it as an object lesson in what to do and not do and it might save your life one day.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 9 years ago
fantabulous

I love the story. I do not understand how all of this is done, but me point of view I would rather have more chapters within each chapter and not have so many comment breaks. the page would not let me vote, but I choose 10*

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
hell 03 2nd

the story let me vote this time I choose 10*. I am looking forward to more of your stories.

Ed Grocott

edgrocott@gmail.com

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
great story, but- - -

It's about the logistics. A small town does not have that much stuff in the local stores. Deliveries every day from the 18 wheelers delivering stock from those giant warehouses in the city that got raided and emptied in the 1st week of rioting are needed to keep their shelves full. Just-in-time delivery and quick turn stock is the only way to stay in business today. Just where did the townsmen get their food after 3 months?

DHL

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
reality?

I have a user name and i have posted stories here a long time ago and forgotten login details. The previous comment shows the head in impossible place attitutude that will cause breakdowns of society when things go wrong. I have worked in retail and lived in small towns and i assure you with a good community spirit careful management and portion control a small town could survive months on what they have on hand. Hunting and fishing would provide enough protein. Making a communal panntry and dining area is brilliant. Pity previous annonymous sounds like one of those people that rushes out and buys all the perishables they can carry and finds the suddenly lose power and refrigeration and have nothing. I carry about 4-6 weeks dry goods during the tropical storm season. I have fish and beef and wildfowl to help with protein. Great twist to a better story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Great story

Terrific story but realistically, of the people you know, how many would be or are as smart and savvy as the protagonist? This guy was thinking two- three years ahead. I loved his warrior sense of anticipation. Looking forward to reading more of your stuff. SF VET

woodmanonewoodmanonealmost 8 years agoAuthor
To Annon of 7/19

Thank you for reading my story and a double thank you for taking the time to pen a comment. I'm very happy you enjoyed my work.

I normally don't respond to comments but this time I couldn't help it.

I'm now retired but at my last job my boss would have fit into this story very well. About three years prior to the Y2K scare he decided the doomsayers might be right and took steps to survive the coming destruction of civilization.

He bought a piece of land out and beyond the middle of nowhere. I helped him build the foundation for a cabin (After all he was my boss and brownie points never hurt. Besides he was my friend also)

He put two 40 foot containers, commonly called con exs) and filled them with supplies. Food, equipment, batteries and a portable solar powere unit, ATVs, and any other thing he thought he would need to live completely off the grid. There was food for two people for three years in the form of MREs, sacks of beans and oats, beef jerky (I made most of that for him). There were also cans of food even to cubed beef. These had a shelf life of just under forever.

So few they may be, but there are intelligent happy people out there that plan for the destruction of civilization as we know it. By the by he still maintains a place to escape to just in case.

Again thanks for reading my work.

Woodmanone woodmanone@inbox.com

MrmacjrMrmacjrover 7 years ago
Sequel

I really enjoyed this 3 part story and hope that you decide to continue it.

sas6446sas6446almost 6 years ago
Great!!!

I thought that the second part of the story almost ruined it for me but you recovered it immediately at the beginning of the last part! Overall a really good story!

slm59slm59over 5 years ago
While it's a good ending point

This story could continue and you'd never hear me complain. :D

Thanks!

Crusader235Crusader235almost 5 years ago
Very good

Very good story. Five Stars for the whole thing.

BangbangLaDeshBangbangLaDeshalmost 5 years ago
Story tags?

I absolutely love these types of stories... End of days and survival. And I would have never found this gem of I hadn't already been voraciously reading all of your other tales.

Great job, and then you do much for posting for free.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
OK!

This was the best part of the 3 part story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Very

Good

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago
YEAH!!!!

This was the best part of the whole story!

ausvirgoausvirgoover 2 years ago

"I'd rather live by my own rules."

Yeah, that worked for Casey and Dixie, because a) they were set up to be independent, and b) more importantly, their rules were governed by a moral code and compassion.

Living by their own rules didn't work so well for Raff, Sam, Ted, and the Humvee raiders, because their rules didn't respect others' rights.

a_reader_from_germanya_reader_from_germanyover 2 years ago

At the end of part 2 I was really dreading to read about the hardships our main characters would have to endure in consequence of Casey's carelessness. Glad this thread ended thanks to Dixie acting fast and conclusively. Just a minor point regarding the aftermath: First of all secure the weapons! (Dixie helped Casey into the cabin beforehand). Part 3 was the best part of the series imo too.

Wolfgang1955Wolfgang1955over 2 years ago

Abandoned the story at the end of the first part. E everything was to scripted. Decided to give it another chance. Not the best of your writing. I still gave it 5☆☆☆☆☆

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefover 2 years ago

Didn't care for the second part of the story, Casey being so careless as to let down his guard after letting the three guys go with just a slap on their hands. He should have know better than to trust that they would drive off into the sun set without wanting some payback. Wasn't sure I wanted to continue reading, but glad I did.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Egh!!!!

The basic premise of the story was OK, but "the devil is in the details" and the details were skewed: just too much "off." This story doesn't compare to your westerns.

DarknsDarknsalmost 2 years ago

I do enjoy your storytelling (especially your Westerns) … I enjoyed this one too. Thank you

OldmantruckerOldmantruckerover 1 year ago

🙄🙄🤔😉👍🤓🌹👌like I said before. Wish you were Still waiting. Miss your stories

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithover 1 year ago

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Awesome!

linnearlinnear9 months ago

Nice story and very realistic.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman9 months ago

Thanks for an enjoyable story. Like your Westerns more.

HeypossumHeypossum2 months ago

Loved it thank you a big 5 again

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userwoodmanone@woodmanone
I believe age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time. Being some what of an egomaniac I believe my stories are very interesting. Only the readers can verify or disprove that premise. Several of my stories are based on my own experience or most have a little ...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Hell to Pay Series Info

SIMILAR Stories