Her Fairy-Tale Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maggie said nothing. She didn't want to argue about it again. She never won these arguments. She looked out at the scenery as they drove further from the city to the home of Suzie McMahon's parents. Butterflies danced with hobnail boots in her belly and she unconsciously placed a hand over her stomach.

"Nervous?" Kaeden asked.

"Yeah, this," she indicated her dress, "Isn't me."

"No, it's not, but you look amazing none-the-less. Maybe this could be you once in a while," he turned to look at her again. "I have to admit, I like both versions of you."

"You don't know even one of those versions properly," she laughed.

"I'm pretty sure you're not a terrorist anymore, despite your awesome terror skills," he chuckled. "We may not have seen each other, but we have talked, really talked, every single day, twice a day sometimes since we met. I know you, and I know this type of event makes you uncomfortable because you think you don't fit in with the types of people you meet here. You do though, and you are more than a match for anyone there tonight." He reached over and took her hand. "I'm pretty happy to be your date, even if it wasn't exactly your idea."

Maggie looked down at the hand that clasped hers. He was just being nice, and this time she appreciated it. She knew it was just for show, though. She'd seen enough on the internet to know she was the furthest thing from his type, despite what he said and her fantasies of the last few days. If he weren't always so nice to her resisting his charm would be easier. It was hard enough for her to say no over the phone, but if he asked her about the business proposal tonight she wasn't sure she wouldn't wake up tomorrow morning with a business partner.

*****

Kaeden pulled up into the circular driveway before the big house and handed his keys to a valet as Maggie's door was opened for her. He hurried around the car, taking her hand and standing quietly as Scott and Claire alighted from the car following theirs. He squeezed her hand as they made their way inside, giving her silent encouragement and making her look up at him with worried eyes. He felt for her. He didn't know the full story, but he knew enough to know that this party was one of her worst nightmares.

"You ready for this?" he murmured in her ear.

"Not in the slightest," she whispered back.

"Just follow my lead and we'll make it through to a quiet corner somewhere," he squeezed her hand again and stepped through the doorway. They followed the clearly marked path through the house to the large indoor and outdoor entertainment area where the guests all milled around talking in small groups.

"Mags, what happened to you?" Alecks said in bewilderment, coming forward to greet her.

"Don't ask," she rolled her eyes and accepted the perfunctory kiss on the cheek. For the first time in years she didn't feel overwhelmed by his proximity and launch into a far too familiar embrace. It might have also had something to do with the fact that Kaeden was still gripping her hand and had stiffened at Aleck's greeting. "You look beautiful, Suzie," she smiled at her future sister-in-law.

"So do you? I was worried you would show up in your work jeans," Suzie said, wrinkling her nose as if she smelled something bad.

"Well, surprise," Maggie said with false cheerfulness in her voice. "Do you know Kaeden McConnell?" she lifted the hand that he held as she introduced him.

"By name only, it's good to meet you finally," Alecks said cordially, but his expression told anyone who knew him well that he was anything but happy to meet Kaeden.

"I know your sister, Claire, quite well, and I see she's just arrived too. If you'll excuse us, there is just so many people to greet at this stage of the evening. Please, get a drink and mingle," Suzie suggested, and dragged Alecks with her to see Claire and Scott.

"That was less painful than expected," Maggie smiled. "I think I'd like that drink, though."

"Champagne okay?" Kaeden asked, snagging a glass from a passing waiter.

"I'd rather red wine, if we can find it," she said, feeling ungrateful but knowing she was a lightweight when it came to alcohol, and she wanted to make the one or two drinks she had mentally allowed herself tonight to count.

"Your wish is my command," Kaeden took a gulp of the champagne in his hand and steered her toward the outside area where he imagined a bar had been set up.

"Kaeden," Elena's voice sounded behind them. "I got your message. I hadn't thought you would be arriving with Maggie, though." She looked disapprovingly at the clasped hands.

"A lucky coincidence," Kaeden turned to face Elena, his arm moving supportively around Maggie's waist.

"Hello, Elena," Maggie smiled. "I decided not to wear the dress you gave me, it really wasn't my colour."

"Oh, well, whatever makes you comfortable, dear. I would have thought this dress was a little revealing for your taste, but as long as you're happy wearing something so bright you draw attention to yourself," Elena said somewhat waspishly.

"Red is definitely her colour, and it was clever working roses into the motif. It's like a walking business card," Kaeden enthused, pulling her slightly closer to him. Elena opened her mouth to say something further when a deep rich voice sounded, making them look past Elena to the source.

"Why, Magnolia Rose, do my eyes deceive me?" the voice said in a dramatic accent straight out of Gone With The Wind. "Talk about a surprise," he laughed, taking her hand and lifting it above her head to make her spin for him. "You're the belle of the ball!"

"Ruslan!" Maggie exclaimed, immediately feeling the loss of Kaeden's protective arm around her as a shield against her family.

"I'd agree with that," Kaeden said, moving forward to greet the man who had stolen his date. "Kaeden McConnell," he held out his hand toward the other man.

"Ah, man, I heard about the crash. You look okay though, so it can't have been too bad," Ruslan observed, still holding Maggie's hand.

"I was lucky, an angel rescued me before any great damage was done," Kaeden said with a chuckle.

"Oh, so you're moonlighting as an angel in the evenings now?" he asked, making Maggie blush.

"Don't listen to him. He wasn't even conscious most of the time he was at the farm. He knocked his head so hard he had visions, I think," she laughed.

"Well, anyone who can make her laugh like that is okay by me. Nice to meet you, man," Ruslan took Kaeden's outstretched hand. "She looks great tonight, doesn't she, mother?"

"I guess. It's not the type of dress I would have chosen for her," Elena said, sounding as if she was forcing the words out.

"She's a grown up, mother, she can choose her own clothes, and Kaeden doesn't seem to mind her choice," he winked at Maggie, and at that moment won over Kaeden, who was quite prepared to dislike her entire stepfamily.

"We were just on our way to the bar. Can we get you anything?" Kaeden offered, eager to get Maggie away from Elena.

"No, I'm good, I wanted to introduce Mother to a friend of mine, but I will catch up with you in a little while," Ruslan said, and steered his mother away from Maggie and Kaeden.

They had stayed near the bar, talking to people who passed, introducing themselves and comparing how they knew the lucky couple. During the time they had been standing in the quiet corner, a tall man had been staring at her on and off from across the room until she began to feel uncomfortable.

"Kaeden, can we move somewhere else?" she whispered. "This guy keeps staring at me, and it's making me uncomfortable."

"What guy?" he asked, looking around.

"Just some random guy, he's moved, I think, but I'd still like to move, if that's okay?" she whispered feeling silly now.

"Sure, but it's pretty quiet here in this out of the way spot," he looked at her with a frown before looking in the direction she had glanced when she told someone was making her uncomfortable. "Give me a minute, and I'll get you another drink before we move to save doubling back again."

"What do you think you're doing?" Alecks voice was a sibilant hiss, taking her by surprise as he stalked toward her.

"Waiting for my date, he's at the bar," Maggie blinked in surprise at her brother.

"You know what I mean, showing up here looking like that. It's over, Mags, this is my goddamn engagement party!" he hissed, keeping his voice low so no one else would be able to hear him.

"I know. I am here because you and Elena insisted that I come, remember. Sorry, I'm not wearing that sack Elena bought me, but really? It was diarrhoea brown!" she said, using Claire's words. "I'm happy for you, Alecks, honestly. I'm not here for any other reason than to celebrate your engagement. I even brought a date to prove I have moved on." The date hadn't been her idea, and once again she marvelled at the superpowers of the McConnell family. She made a mental note to thank Scott properly for his foresight.

"Yeah, well, I wouldn't get too excited about that, the man feels indebted to you, and, let's face it, men like him don't date girls like you!" Alecks lip curled into a sneer. Maggie felt like he'd punched her in the stomach, and any snappy retort she may have had died on her lips as she acknowledged the truth of his words. Men like Kaeden McConnell didn't date big, awkward women like her. He'd been so attentive that she'd let herself buy into the fantasy for a while, and Alecks' sharp slap back into reality physically winded her.

"Is there a problem here?" the man who had been staring at her from afar suddenly appeared beside them. "You look quite pale, Maggie, can offer you some assistance to find a seat?"

"No, I'm fine," Maggie put on a false smile. "I was just telling my brother how truly happy I was for him that he found someone so sweet to share his life. She's a lucky girl." She with all the sincerity she could muster and looked up into Alecks face.

"I believe we've spoken on the phone, I'm Wade McConnell," the man finally introduced himself, taking her hand. "I agree, Suzie McMahon is quite the catch." There was a knowing tone in his voice as he released her hand and turned to Alecks, holding out his hand in greeting. "You are, indeed, a lucky man, not only is your fiancée beautiful, but influential as well." He knew exactly who he was dealing with as he took Alecks hand.

"Seriously? I agree to one date with the man, and suddenly I have to meet his whole family. Tell me your parents aren't here," she laughed self-consciously.

"They couldn't make it, but I believe Jack is around here somewhere, and Lilly should be here as well, I think, but I haven't seen her yet. You tend to find we show up on mass at this kind of shindig. We're a bit like rent a crowd, and it's not so bad when you can always find a friendly face at these things."

"Good grief!" Maggie sighed dramatically. "What have I done?"

"I leave your side for just a few minutes, and when I come back you're surrounded by men," Kaeden complained as he returned and passed her a glass of red wine.

"That's hardly fair, especially considering one's your brother and the other is mine," Maggie's laugh sounded false, even to her own ears. "Thank you for the drink," she leant over and kissed his cheek. She'd done it for Alecks benefit, but Kaeden grinned at the contact and snaked his arm around her waist, holding her close.

"You're welcome," he lowered his head and kissed her in a brief, chaste brushing of lips. When he straightened again to greet his brother he kept his arm firmly around her waist. "Wade, I thought you weren't coming tonight?"

"And I thought you said she was a jeans and boots rustic beauty," Wade chuckled. "Not this glamorous creature."

"Trust me, she is, but Claire went down there unannounced today and convinced her to wear one of her friend's designer dresses, and then got carried away. Apparently, they are BFF's now," Kaeden groaned.

"I'm standing right here, and it's a Rochelle original, if anyone asks," Maggie cut into their banter. "This," she indicated her dress, "Was definitely not my idea," she said, looking at Alecks pointedly.

"That's a bit harsh; Alecks, here, probably thought you dressed up for him. I mean, for his big party, jeans and boots wouldn't have cut the mustard here, I don't think," Wade had followed her gaze.

"There you are," Ruslan's voice cut through the tension she felt emanating from Alecks, and she looked up. "Doesn't Magnolia look spectacular tonight!" He addressed his brother with a smirk.

"Stop calling me that," Maggie chided him good-naturedly.

"Maggie is the jeans and boots cowgirl, Mags is the girl with dirt on her nails and smeared across her face, this, new you," he waved his hand up and down in front of her, "Is pure Magnolia. Embrace it, my love. Now, I have come to rescue you and introduce you to the cute little stray puppy I brought home with me." He took her hand and led her away from the small group.

Kaeden released her reluctantly and watched her move away with her brother, unsure if he should follow. He was about to take a step when Wade took a step toward Alecks and lowered his voice to a rumble.

"That girl may be your sister, but if I hear you talk down to any woman the way you did to her just now, I will not be so pleasant about stopping you," the low rumble was barely audible, but the threat in it was very clear. "Now perhaps you should go and make sure everyone is enjoying your party."

"It's been a pleasure," Alecks said with equal animosity in his voice, then turned and left the brothers where they stood.

"So, want to tell me what that was about?" Kaeden frowned at his brother.

"Apparently guys like you don't date girls like her," Wade shrugged, but was still disturbed by the look on her face after Alecks had hit her with those words.

"I should go find her," he craned his neck as she disappeared into the crowd.

"Stay for a minute. It's Jack's turn to run interference," Wade chuckled. "Scott's fixing Claire's badly conceived plans again. I think it's a hobby for him, like working out a cryptic puzzle and getting the solution every day. I swear he enjoys it."

"You could be right about that," Kaeden laughed with his brother.

"Are you sure about this?" Wade asked the same question, for what felt like the millionth time. "You hit your head pretty hard in that crash."

"You, my brother, have just met my future wife, there is not a doubt in my mind," Kaeden said confidently. "I knew from the moment she called me in the hospital the day after the crash. Now I just have to convince her. If my interfering family don't scare her witless first."

The party became a whirlwind for Maggie as she was drawn into conversations with each of Kaeden's siblings and, or, their partners, who never seemed to be far away from where she was standing. She had barely seen Alecks or Elena, for which she was grateful, and she allowed herself to enjoy the evening until, unable to resist any longer, she excused herself and went in search of the bathroom. She'd waited patiently in the small line until Suzie appeared in front of her.

"Maggie, why don't you come upstairs and use my bathroom. We're practically sisters now, and I feel like I don't know you at all," Suzie said in a sickly sweet tone that alarmed Maggie with its false sound.

"I don't mind waiting, really, and we have lots of time to get to know each other better. Maybe you would like to come out to the farm and choose the roses you would like for the wedding. I would be happy to order some stock in if we don't have the exact shade you're looking for, or we have a few orchids, if you prefer," Maggie suggested, trying to stall the woman.

"I've already decided on the colour scheme for the wedding, come with me and I'll show you. You can suggest what flowers would look best. I doubt your little hobby farm could cater for such a large event, but you could suggest something, perhaps," Suzie said in the same sickly sweet tone.

"Look, it's my turn," Maggie said in relief as the bathroom became free, the last thing she wanted was to be trapped alone with Suzie somewhere in this huge house. She stepped into the powder room and turned to close the door, but a determined Suzie pushed her way in after her and shut the door heavily, locking it behind her and trapping Maggie in the room.

"Listen here, you freak! I know all about you and Alecks, and if you think you are going to waltz in here and upstage me at my party, you are very mistaken! You are embarrassing your brothers and your mother with your crude backwoods farm manners! You're uneducated, unrefined and you don't belong here at all, and if you flirt with Alecks again tonight, there will be no invite to the wedding of the year, even if you are his sister!" Suzie raged into Maggie's stunned face.

"I have a date. I wasn't flirting with Alecks. He's marrying you," she said in a wobbly voice, unshed tears stinging her eyes.

"Hurry up and pee," Suzie turned her back so Maggie could relieve herself behind the half wall that hid the toilet from the rest of the powder room. "I have Daddy's driver waiting to take you home. Don't bother saying goodbye to anyone, trust me, you won't be missed." She turned back around after hearing the toilet flush.

"Not in your wildest dreams would a man like Kaeden McConnell ever date a freak like you. He just feels sorry for you and is here because you helped him when he crashed. You need to go home and stop embarrassing yourself and him with all this," she waved her hand dismissively at the dress Maggie wore.

"You're right. I don't know what I was thinking," Maggie said sadly. A tear dropped to her cheek as she washed and dried her hands. She dashed it away and took a deep breath. "You're right it's time to return to my real life, I don't want to make a scene at your lovely party." She had known it was too good to be true, and she had let herself get carried away again. She should be mad at Suzie for treating her this way, but the truth of her words cut through the fantasy evening she'd been having with Kaeden and she just felt foolish.

"Well, I'm glad we agree on something!" Suzie snapped, and opened the bathroom door, propelling Maggie away from the party toward the front of the house.

"Maggie?" a woman's voice called her name. Suzie ran through the front door and down the driveway, pulling Maggie after her. Maggie tripped and fell as the driver opened the door for her, and Suzie screeched at him to hurry and drive, pulling Maggie up from her prone position and pushing her into the car and slamming the door a moment before the car took off at speed.

Once seated, Maggie craned her head to look back at the driveway, seeing Lilly, one of Kaeden's sister's, standing beside Suzie with one hand pressed to her cheek in horror and her phone in the other. The whole family had been so nice to her, she had let herself believe that, for just one night, she could fit into this world. She'd been wrong. Suzie was right, she was a freak, but she was wrong about Alecks. If nothing else Kaeden had cured her of any residual feelings she had for her step-brother. She leant her head against the glass window pane and let herself cry as the long journey home began.

"What happened?" Lilly asked aghast at what she had just witnessed. She was supposed to be running interference, how was she going to tell Kaeden and Claire that she lost Maggie!

"That freak had to go, she was ruining the party!" Suzie snapped angrily, and then suddenly seemed to remember herself and who she was talking to, "I mean..." she started to retract her words.

"It's okay. I heard what you said," Lilly eyed her hostess and grimaced. "Unfortunately you have just thrown my brothers date out of the party. I'm glad I don't have to be the one to tell him. I'll just find my husband, I know he will be looking for me by now. I imagine we will be leaving as soon as Kaeden find's out what you have done."

1...56789...19