All Comments on 'Home is the Hunter'

by Moondrift

Sort by:
  • 20 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
These Things Happened

And probably still do,pity about the end.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
No, the end doesn't make sense

I would have given the story a 100 rating except for that ending. Especially the part about having the baby in the bassinet right next to her? Come on! Do I believe that women had to do certain things to survive in that time - yes. But you give absolutely no foreshadowing to your reader, and so it hits from nowhere. It also doesn't fit very well into the description you gave of the mother, of her "deepness," the many layers to her soul. The ending makes her look tawdry and I think that's a shame. Otherwise, it was a very evocative tale, quite a good read.

optocynicoptocynicalmost 16 years ago
But WHY?????

At was all going so well...

Why do some incest authors feel the need to include pregnancy and birth in their stories?

The real thrill is the act of the sex. Letting go to inner sexual demons. Start adding babies to the mix, and it kills the mood. It should just be about the sex.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
there guilt,for writers writing about mom and son

always seens that the writers make something bad happen,to make up for the sex they enjoyed.what was wrong for his mom to be waiting for him and living good ever after.the last part took away from the love story.this writer moondrift is on top of the good writers on this site.so this ending surprise me.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichalmost 16 years ago
I don't like the way it ended

You wrote a very beautiful warm and loving story,except for the last few paragraphs.

I felt very akin to the characters in your story,and I was sadden by the way you thought that the ending should be so devastating.

Would it be too much to ask for you to write another ending,just for those of us that still want happy endings?....Rich

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
You Can

Do a lot better than this I was not as old as this young man but I did have a very loving sexual relationship with my mom.Lets face it we never knew when death would strike. It was not helped by the American input you made her sound like a whore.The last story you wrote on this theme was so much better and really true to life.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
a modern classic ??

Maybe you have a modern classic here. Maybe not. Whatever the ending. Maybe because of it. Time will tell

TibxoTibxoalmost 16 years ago
I must agree with the other commentators...

I loved your story....up to a point.

It was very well written and the characters very well developed. It wasn't just sex between a mother and son, the story was a wartime romance.

So the ending took me completely by surprise and frankly, it didn't make a lot of sense.

Up to that point, the mother was portrayed to be a very loving woman who until his death, was very loyal to her husband and only afterwards dared to acknowledge her secret feelings for her son.

And then right at the end, she suddenly became a whore. Unless she had suddenly developed those traits, then presumably she was like that throughout her married life (or was it simply the son being away but surely she would have stayed faithful because of their relationship and the fact she wouldn't want to jeopardise it?).

Normally, I love twists at the end of a tale. However, in this case it seemed forced and just didn't fit the story or its characters (particular the mother's).

Sorry for the critique, but your story was good enough to warrant it.

Alvaron53Alvaron53almost 16 years ago
Well written

Excellent storytelling even though I did not care for the ending. The conclusion seems strangely out of sync with the rest of the story and at odds with what we have learned about Caroline's character. Thus, I can only award a seventy-five score.

<P>

The prose is superb, the dialog just formal enough to lend authenticity to the upper middle class setting, and the characters rich and life-like. The author's research into civilian life in wartime Britain was well done, and it adds credibility to the telling. Overall, a fine effort.

oldwayneoldwaynealmost 16 years ago
I had to give it 5 stars, but

Although you deserve credit for a well written story, I found it be absolutely depressing. Perhaps that was the genius of it.

droogedroogeover 15 years ago
Sweet Caroline

The story was beautifuly written , you captured the feel of war time England, the sacrifices and the comraderie under the terrible duress that they must have been under. An incest story turned into a romance and one didn't really feel as sense of taboo in the love making that they had shared. And when he is coming home to his 'wife' happy that they are both still alive he finds a woman with her legs spread totally unconcerned for her son, totally unconcerned with her new son, totally unaffected by the unique love she had felt to her ex-husband hopelessly self absorbed and selfish. You completely destroyed her character and made the reader feel somewhat foolish for falling in love with her as a loving giving person.

Fubar2kFubar2kover 15 years ago
I read this story years ago ...

Hello Moondrift. I love your stories. I think you craft them very well. I couldn't remember how this story ended. I got a little peeved about the frequent typos, the description of the 'bofars' (sic) gun, which is spelt 'Bofors'. When we got to the point ot of the V2s landing on London and the son going home, I felt a feeling of near dread rising in me (which is a salutory salute to your ability to write and weave a story) ... As with most of the other comments, I related to the mother, to her deepness, her loving, her desire and intent to remain faithful ... and then here she is, just out of bonking with an American serviceman. I know odd things happen at sea; they also happen in war, but this was so far out of character, beyond the character you have gone to such pains to define in the earlier part of the story, to completely blow the story out of sight. I would have mourned had the house been blown apart ... I'm sorry, but this ending was ridiculous. I know it is your story, but still! Regards, Michael.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
Deeper layers?

LOL, one of those layers must have been a slut.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 12 years ago
A downer.

What could've been ultra erotic twisted into a depressing out of character betrayal. Thanks - for nothing.

EMiamiRiverRatEMiamiRiverRatalmost 12 years ago
I don't understand some comments

Is it that you are looking for someone else to dream YOUR dream, your way; and write about it in your place? Would your comments be the same if it was another woman, not his mother? Is it possible that a true story can be told in an analogy? Can it be that MoonDrift knows what "the cost of war" really entails? It is his story and, as such, I found it poignant and far less than impossible. I can only hope this was just a dream.

BfreetorunBfreetorunover 10 years ago
I did not care for the way this ended.

Or the way that I thought it would end. They can't all have happy endings and she had to have food for the baby.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
started off nice but ended with a bang

a bizarre twist in the tale but then she needed food but was silly to be such a slut fuck whore....but then that happened a lot in the war....like they used to say...over rich - over sexed and over here...too many British women were prepared to become fuck slut whores when their men were fighting......plenty of kids have American dads some were even by blacks....

AnonymousAnonymousabout 10 years ago
WOW !

Day-em ! This story left me horny AND speechless !! When I started reading it, I thought it was too long, and slow to the point. But I was wrong ! It is WELL worth reading. Fine job !

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
WOW!

When you decide to fucking kill a love story you don't mess around. From an easy to score 5 star story to a 1 star just to vote on trash. You ruined this...

Bedroomeyes81Bedroomeyes81almost 4 years ago

sad ending, the shit still happens to this day. not sure who to blame the guy for trying to serve his country while having a relationship, or the woman for not loving enough to wait for him. it's fucked up and a big cause for suicide for servicemen.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous