Homecoming Queen

Story Info
Lisa returns home after more than 50 years in hiding.
15.8k words
4.55
6.6k
8
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Warning - if you're offended by 60s antiwar and leftist politics, do us both a favor and skip this story.

This takes place over more than 50 years, in a series of vignettes. It was originally written as a movie script, but I've tried to morph it into a short story. There is some sex, but it isn't the primary objective.

**************************************************

Setting - 1968

Lisa walks down the hall of her school. She is 18 and is dressed hippie style with paisley bell bottom jeans, a tie dyed top, and sandals, with a peace sign on a chain around her neck. She walks with an air of nonchalance.

Karen and Sue, 18 are in modest dresses, as are most of the other young women in the hall. The young men are mostly in slacks and short sleeve shirts.

Sue looks at Karen. "Was she out milking the cows before school?"

Karen snickers before replying. "I think the cows saw her and ran away."

Lisa walks by Karen and Sue, looks them up and down and has a Mona Lisa smile. The other two look away and scowl.

Lisa seems cheerful. "Good morning, girls."

Karen and Sue mumble something and walk away, as Lisa goes to a locker, which she opens.

As she gets things from her locker, Nikki walks up. Nikki wears jeans, and a button up blouse and flats.

Nikki looks puzzled. "You're running for homecoming queen."

Lisa looks shocked. "God, no. Why would I want to do that?"

"Your name was submitted."

Lisa looks totally disgusted. Nikki has a cynical smile.

"I sure didn't do it."

Nikki shakes her head. "Probably some of the jocks, as a joke. You could go tell them to take your name off."

"What's the point? The idiots would just find some other way to harass me. Let them have their joke."

Lisa closes her locker and the two walk toward class.

Nikki has a cynical smile. "Because you talk about feminism and women's rights, half the people around here think you hate men and sleep with women."

Lisa stops and looks at Nikki. "You in a mood to pull someone's chain?"

Nikki looks puzzled. "Why? What did you have in mind?"

Lisa steps close to Nikki, pulls her close and kisses her. Nikki is shocked but doesn't pull away.

Several other students in the hall are shocked and begin talking, as they move away.

Nikki sputters. "I don't know if we should -- "

Lisa smiles. "We certainly shouldn't get caught by a teacher."

Nikki's knees shake as she speaks. "My heart will go back to beating normally, one of these days."

Lisa looks very calm. "You want to study together after school?"

Nikki stands, unable to speak. Lisa smiles and turns to go in her class.

"Let me know later."

........................................................................................

Later that day

Karen and Sue talk with Ron and Skip, both 18 and athletic.

Karen looks aghast. "I can't believe they were making out in the hallway."

Skip shakes his head. "Half the school already knows about it."

Sue is angry "Isn't the school going to do something about it?"

Ron shuffles his feet as he speaks. "None of the teachers saw it, but they're gonna be watching now."

Karen sidles up next to Skip. "Who are you voting for for homecoming queen?"

Skip puts his hands on Karen's hips. "You're my girl."

Ron laughs. "Is our little dyke really competition?"

Sue looks back and forth between Skip and Ron. "Who put her name in?"

Ron shrugs. "Someone who wanted to pull her chain, the way she pulls everybody else's."

Sue puts her arm around Ron.

Karen is upset. "Would anyone vote for her?"

Skip strokes Karen's arm. "Only as a joke."

Sue shakes her head. "There aren't that many screwy people in this school, are there?"

..................................................................................................

After school that day.

Lisa and Nikki walk home from school.

Nikki looks down as she speaks. "By the end of the day, everyone was looking at me funny."

"Sorry if I embarrassed you."

"I saw Brian in the hall and he looked at me, then looked at the floor and walked past me."

Lisa looks away. "I know you like Brian."

A car drives by with a couple of guys who make hooting noises as they pass.

Nikki squirms a bit. "I just wish he'd kiss me as nice as you did."

"If he really likes you, he'll get over it."

Nikki looks shy. "You really want to study together?"

"We don't have to do anything besides study."

Nikki giggles and squirms.

Lisa has a sly smile. "Unless you want to, of course."

Nikki is wide eyed. "Why do you even want this?"

"I like you, and you seem to like me."

Nikki stops and takes a step back.

Nikki looks at the ground. "I like boys."

"Maybe, until you find a boy you want to be with -- "

Nikki looks directly at Lisa. "My mom will be home in an hour."

...................................................................................................

Lisa studies, when her brother Tom, 21 comes in wearing military fatigues.

"Tommy, you're back!"

Lisa gets up runs over and hugs Tom.

He smiles at his sister. "I got a short leave."

She leads him toward the sofa. "You aren't reenlisting."

"Hell no. I told you what 'Nam was like. No way am I going back there."

They sit on the sofa.

Lisa shakes her head. "It's hard to believe that our soldiers could do some of those things."

"When you can't tell your friends from your enemies, it's easy to go too far. Thinking of them all as 'gooks' doesn't help either."

"What's the answer?"

Tom looks grim. "Get out. Let them figure it out for themselves. Enough about that, how's school going?"

Tom tugs gently at Lisa's hair.

"The usual. Most of them are jerks."

"You have to be yourself, but they say if you paint a monkey green, the other monkeys will attack it."

Lisa grimaces. "Still hurts."

"I'm proud of you for standing up for what you believe, even if no one else agrees with it."

Lisa hugs Tom. "I give as good as I get. No one is going to walk over me. Some jerk nominated me for homecoming queen though."

Tom laughs. "I love you, but you are so not homecoming queen material. Are you going to tell them to pull your name?"

"What's the point? I already know most of them don't like me."

..................................................................................

Principal and Dean of Girls, both 40s sit with Lisa and Karen in the principal's office.

The principal looks back and forth between the two girls. "We tallied the votes for homecoming queen."

The dean speaks. "Lisa had 180 votes and Karen had 175."

Karen is irate. "You can't possibly make her homecoming queen!"

The principal look puzzled. "I was surprised that you submitted your name for this, Lisa."

"I didn't submit my name - someone else did."

Karen leads forward. "This is outrageous. I want a recount."

The Dean of Girls, shakes her head. "We've counted the ballots three times."

"Then I want a new vote."

"We're not doing that."

"If she never wanted to be on the ballot, she should be disqualified."

Principal turns to Lisa. "You don't have to accept. You could decline and it would go to the person polling second."

"Why is it even up to her? It should be mine. I'm head cheerleader, I'm president of the student council. I've busted my butt for this school."

The Principal and Dean of Girls look at each other and shake their heads.

"We need to try to come up with an amicable settlement."

Lisa looks firm. "Homecoming queen isn't important to me, but I'm not going to be bullied into stepping aside."

Karen snarls. "My parents will take this to the school board."

Karen stands and walks out of the office, slamming the door behind her.

.......................................................................................................

Nikki and Lisa sit on the sofa, in Nikki's house arms around each other.

Nikki speaks. "So you're actually going to be homecoming queen?"

"I don't know. I won't quit without making Karen sweat."

"She has been so nasty to you and me."

"I heard she fixed up Brian with one of her friends."

Nikki puts her head on Lisa's shoulder. Lisa strokes Nikki's head.

"He always wanted me to be more like the popular girls."

Lisa smiles. "And we know how some of them stay popular."

"I might have done that, if he'd been nicer to me."

Nikki looks up at Lisa, who kisses her.

"You'll find a better guy - in college, if not here."

Nikki rubs her head against Lisa. "This works in the meantime. And most of the school already thinks we're doing a lot more than we are."

"We're only going to do what you're comfortable with."

........................................................................................

Dolores, 40, Lisa's mother talks with her at their home.

"Your father and I want you to be who you are."

"I've always appreciated that you didn't try to force me to be what I wasn't."

"In this town, you are going to get a lot of grief from people."

"And you know I've gotten a lot, which is why I'm glad to be going away to college."

"People will try to hurt you because you're different."

Lisa looks firm "I'm strong. I'll hang in there."

"I know you will, baby, just be careful."

Dolores hugs Lisa.

...........................................................................................

Principal, Dean of Girls, and Lisa sit in Principal's office.

Principal looks grim "Karen's parents raised hell with the PTA and the School board."

Dean looks at Lisa. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

Lisa shakes her head. "If she hadn't been so nasty, I'd have let her have it."

"It's strictly your decision, but you may get booed when you're introduced."

"And that's worse that what I go through every day in the halls?"

Principal and Dean of Girls look at each other and shake their heads.

Dean speaks. "Teens can be cruel. There isn't much we can do about it."

Lisa is accusatory. "Not much you're willing to do about it anyway."

.......................................................................................

Karen, Sue, Ron, and Skip talk outside the school.

Sue fumes. "I can't believe she's actually doing it."

Skip speaks confidently. "Whole football team will turn their backs on her when she's introduced."

Karen looks around. "Is there some way to poison her lunch? Maybe we can rip her dress before the intro."

Ron laughs. "Seriously, you think she's going to wear a dress?"

The others look at each other and shake their heads.

Karen is appalled. "She wouldn't show up in pants, would she?"

Skip smiles. "I'd bet on that before I'd bet on her wearing a dress."

Sue is almost ready to cry. "This school will be a laughingstock."

Karen stomps her feet angrily. "We have to stop it."

Ron nods, ruefully. "We could just let her make fool of herself."

Karen grits her teeth. "Make a fool of the rest of us too."

..........................................................................................

In the school cafeteria, tables and chairs have been moved out for a dance.

At one end of the cafeteria is a raised stage area. There are crowds of students standing around.

The principal comes out with Skip and Lisa. Skip wears a sports coat and slacks. Lisa wears jeans and a sweatshirt.

The pop music which had been playing over speakers is halted and the principal has a microphone.

"Welcome to homecoming and our homecoming dance."

There is light applause.

He continues. "After receiving your nominations and votes, we want to introduce our homecoming king and queen."

Some applause mixed with hoots.

Principal brings Skip a step forward.

"Our homecoming king is captain of the football team and our star quarterback Skip Swanson."

Applause as the Principal puts a crown on Skip.

Skip raises his arms and smiles broadly. He struts across stage to the cheers of the students.

Applause continues then dies down as Skip lowers his arms.

Principal brings Lisa a step forward.

Lisa looks grim as there are hoots from the crowd.

"And our homecoming queen is Lisa Powell."

Light applause mixed with hoots and laughter.

Principal puts a crown on Lisa.

"In keeping with tradition, our king and queen will have the first dance."

Skip looks disdainful as Lisa looks pained.

They come down from the stage as a slow number starts and Skip loosely puts arms around Lisa, both of them keeping as much distance between them as possible.

Lisa whispers to Skip. "This is only a few minutes, then you can spend the rest of the night with Karen."

He pulls back slightly before replying. "And you can dance with your girlfriend."

"No one cares about girls dancing together. Boys? That's different."

The number ends and the move step apart.

Skip sneers. "I wouldn't want to dance with a guy anyway."

"Not in public anyhow."

Skip looks angry. "If you ever -- "

"Enjoy dancing with Karen."

Lisa turns and walks away.

Skip stands there scowling with his hands balled up into fists.

....................................................................................

Later that evening.

Lisa and Nikki finish a fast dance, then stop to talk.

Karen walks up to them. "Bad enough what you do, but do you have to flaunt it?"

Lisa smiles. "We're just two girls without dates, trying to enjoy the dance."

Nikki is scornful. "Nobody's hurting you. Why do you care?"

"It's disgusting - just like you being homecoming queen."

Lisa puts an arm around Nikki. "Skip or one of his jackass friends nominated me. And I didn't even vote."

Nikki does a mock pout. "Poor baby. For one night you aren't queen of the school. You'll never live down the shame."

Karen snarls. "Big talk from the girl least likely to succeed."

Lisa looks smug. "That from the girl whose future is based on what she does in the back seat of a car after the dance."

Karen turns very red and is very angry.

Karen turns and stomps away.

Lisa turns to Nikki. "I think we've done enough damage for one night. Let's get out of here."

................................................................................................

Lisa and Nikki go down the sidewalk.

Nikki is sad. "You leave tomorrow for the big city and the university."

Lisa strokes Nikki's head. "I'll miss spending time with you, but we never thought this was forever anyhow."

"Junior college will give me the chance to work and study. And Butch has been friendly lately."

"He's a good guy - just make sure he treats you right."

They stop in front of Nikki's house. Lisa gives Nikki a quick kiss, and Nikki goes inside.

..........................................................................................................

At college, in the big city, Lisa walks across campus. There is a group of students with signs protesting compulsory ROTC.

The crowd chants. "No more ROTC."

Richard 20, leads the protest, with a bullhorn.

Crowd continues. "Educate for peace, not war."

Lisa goes up to the protesters.

More chanting. "Get war off our campus."

Richard sees Lisa and turns to her.

He is dismissive. "Well, girl, are you with us or against us?"

Lisa is adamant. "I'm a woman, not a girl."

"Okay then, woman."

Lisa looks him over. "You gonna give me a sign, or what?"

Richard gestures, and Barb, 20 hands Lisa a sign, reading 'Abolish ROTC'.

..............................................................................................

Later that day, Barb and Lisa sit at a table, with sodas.

Barb tilts her head as she speaks. "I'm glad to see another woman involved in the protests."

"Not many seem to get involved?"

"Most of those who do are with a guy who's taking part."

Barb reaches out and touches Lisa's hand.

Lisa looks at her hand but doesn't pull back. "Richard seems pretty intense."

"Too intense for me. You interested in him?"

Lisa makes a face. "God, no. I'm not looking for a boyfriend. You?"

"Not what I'm looking for."

Lisa is quizzical. "What are you looking for?"

Barb strokes Lisa's hand.

"You might not understand."

"You might be surprised."

............................................................................................................

Lisa and Barb sit on a bed in Barb's dorm room, arms around each other.

Barb sounds sad. "My roommate will be back soon."

"And wouldn't understand."

"Not many do."

Lisa looks hopeful. "I have to work on a paper for English, but maybe we can meet for dinner?"

"North dorm cafeteria, six o'clock."

Lisa kisses Barb.

...............................................................................................

A large number of students sit on the floor outside an office in the campus center

Students hold signs: Herbert Chemical - No Napalm - No Nukes.

Lisa and Barb sit together at one side.

Richard leads the protest.

Richard has a bullhorn. "No more baby killers."

The students wave their signs.

The hallway is blocked by the protest.

A policeman, along with several other officers, stand to one side.

The policeman announces. "The university has said anyone blocking access is guilty of trespassing."

Richard replies. "We're students. We have the right to be on campus."

"But not to block access for other students."

Policeman comes right up to Richard to confront him.

Richard sneers. "We have the right to protest."

"This is state property. If you continue to sit and block access, you will be arrested."

"Then you're going to have to arrest me, pig."

The policeman turns to the other students. "You have two minutes to stand up and move out of the way. Anyone still sitting will be arrested."

Lisa turns to Barb. "I've made my point."

Lisa stands, and Barb stands along with her.

A number of other students also stand, but still remain in the general area.

Six students continue to sit, five white males and one black male.

Two officers grab Richard's arms.

He refuses to stand, going limp, as the officers drag him off.

Richard chants. "No more baby killers - no more baby killers."

The officers grab the other students in turn.

Some stand, others go limp, like Richard.

The officers grab the black male, who starts to stand, trying to pull free of their grasp.

The officers beat the black male, before dragging him off.

Barb grabs Lisa's arm and guides her away from the protest.

Lisa is appalled. "They didn't have to beat him."

"They were making a point."

"This country is sick."

................................................................................................................

Lisa and Barb sit on her bed in her dorm room.

Lisa cries. "The war, the racism, the sexism -- "

Barb strokes Lisa's head "That's why we're out there every day, honey."

"Why don't more people care?"

Barb shakes her head. "They're concerned about making a living, paying their bills, raising a family."

Lisa shakes her head, still crying. "These are people, Americans, dying, or just being beaten."

"Every revolution starts from a few people willing to see the flaws."

Lisa leans against Barb. "It hurts."

Barb holds Lisa and kisses her.

The door opens and Barb quickly lets go of Lisa.

Cathy, 20, Barb's roommate comes in the room.

Lisa stands, with tears still running down her face. "I have a test tomorrow I need to study for."

Lisa leaves the room.

Cathy sneers as she turns to Barb. "You break up with her or something?"

"She's upset over injustice in the world."

"Better learn to get over it, or she'll be crying for a long time."

Cathy sets her books down on her desk.

Barb is disdainful. "Ain't your problem - you'll find a nice lawyer, engineer, or business major to marry you, and you won't have to worry."