Hostage to Fortune

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'And where are we going to get these managers and salespeople.'

'We headhunt them. Dad knows manufacturing and he knows who the movers and shakers are, so I'll start by talking to him. What do you think, Steph? Are you up for it or do I just get out of everything? I mean I really don't need to work, I can live quite well on just the interest on my capital.'

'Don't make it sound like it's all my decision. I'm just an employee here.'

'A very important and valuable employee. One whose opinion I value. I think we can do this, but I want to know what you think.'

'William Wainwright I have never seen you take on something that hasn't succeeded. I don't see this as anything different. I have faith in you. If you are asking would I like to be part of it then I say yes please.'

'You know if I wasn't in this bloody chair I'd get up and kiss you.'

'Down boy. We're taking this slowly remember. Now I think I should bring you up to speed with Mc Mahon construction.'

I went through all the negotiations I'd been through with Sir George and gave him details of the company I'd set up. The holding company had already acquired fifty per cent of the shares. We agreed that it was time to play hardball with the remaining shareholders.

We talked and planned until midday and I got another surprise. Will was just starting to talk about lunch when Jean came in.

'Mr Wainwright senior is here to see you both.'

I looked at Will who just shrugged at me.

'Show him in Jean thank you.'

Tom came bouncing in full of the joys of spring

'Well am I in time to take my two favourite people to lunch?'

Will looked across the desk at me as if waiting for confirmation. I just smiled and gave him a slight nod. He turned back to his father.

'I don't know who your two favourite people are, but as they're not here, maybe you could take us instead.'

'I'll settle for that.' Tom said as he walked around the desk to take control of the wheelchair.

'Now hang on old man. If we are going to lunch, we're not taking this chariot. I'll get my crutches and you'll just have to be patient.'

We had a pleasant lunch and Will outlined his plans to Tom. I'd expected him to be more enthusiastic, but he seemed concerned as to whether Will could make it pay. Of course, Will was positive about it. With lunch done, Will looked at his watch.

'Time for my physiotherapy. Can I leave you two to get back to the office under your own steam?'

I watched as Will made his way out of the restaurant. I wasn't sure but it looked to me like he wasn't dragging his left leg as much. I was still watching when I felt Tom gently squeezing my hand.

'Are you back for good or are you just tidying up loose ends?'

'Well, I think it's for good Tom. At least I hope so.'

'Is that just business, or has my son come to his senses?'

'We're taking it slowly Tom. We'll have to wait and see where it goes.'

'That is good news lass. You know you remind me so much of my Emma. Not to look at, mind, but the way you are, your determination, strength and patience. I'll tell you now she made me the success that I am. It's a pity I didn't take enough notice of her when it came to raising my son's.'

'It looks like he's forgiven you now Tom.'

'No lass, he tolerates me now and that improvement is largely down to you. He may forgive me in time. We can talk without sniping at each other, so it's promising but I've still got a lot of work to do. --What do you think of this new idea? Can he make it pay?'

'You know Tom as long as we're careful he just might. We never see the real picture of a company until it's ours. We'll just have to look at it then and if we can't turn it around then we'll have to do what we normally do.'

'You like the idea though don't you.'

'Yes Tom I do, I like it a lot.'

'In that case, he'll make it work. I know he will.'

'Where are you staying tonight Tom? Maybe we can all go out.'

'Not me lass, I'm on the Sheffield train at four.' His voice dropped to a whisper. 'Don't tell Will but I've got a date tonight.'

He winked at me, got up, gave me a kiss on the cheek, and left.

When Will got back to the office he looked exhausted. He plonked himself down in his wheelchair, wheeled himself over to the water cooler and got himself a drink.

'Tough session of physio was it?'

'You could say that.' He finished his water. 'Would you mind if we didn't go out tonight Steph? I'm not sure I'd be up to it. I'll make it up to you tomorrow, I promise.'

I walked over and crouched in front of him holding his hands.

'We don't have to go out every night. We're taking it slowly remember?'

'Yes I know, but I really wanted to take you out tonight.'

'It will keep, I'll still be here tomorrow.'

Inspector Davies paced up and down in his office.

'How sure are you that he's headed for Valetta, Robson?'

'Can't be certain, Guvnor, but I can't see anywhere else on that course. He should be docking in the next half hour.'

'Okay, Robson here's what we are going to do. You book us on the next flight to Malta, while I talk to the Valetta Police and arrange for an arrest warrant. I'm not risking another Gibraltar.'

Sergeant Robson went back to his desk to arrange the bookings. Two hours later, they were boarding the plane and looking forward to a successful end to another case.

'Are you sure she's docked in Valetta John? We don't want to get there and find she never stopped there.'

'Assuming the tracker is giving the right position she's definitely there, guv. That damn thing is so good we can even tell what part of the harbour she's in.'

'Good our Mr Betts is slipping, maybe he doesn't know that Malta is part of the EU these days.'

'Well if he didn't he'll know by now. He would have had to pay his docking fees in Euros. I've got to admit I'm quite looking forward to this. A couple of days in the sunshine suits me fine.'

'Just you remember John, this is not a holiday. As soon as the paperwork is done we're on the next plane home with our suspects.'

'Yeah I know Boss, but you know the continentals, they don't hurry for anyone. I think we'll be there for two days at least.'

It was three hours later when they touched down in Valetta, and found a slight mist hanging over the city. After reclaiming their baggage, they got in a cab and headed for the central police station.

'How long since they docked John?'

'About five hours Guv, they should have picked them up by now.'

'I hope so John. I really do, the super is going to go spare when he sees the expenses for this little trip. Of course, if we take them back with us all will be forgiven, but if not we could end up on traffic duty.'

'No problem sir they are here all right, it's just a matter of time.'

There was no welcoming committee at the police station. In fact, they were kept waiting in reception for half an hour, before being shown into an office where they waited another hour. When inspector Mailek Manduca returned to the office, he welcomed them warmly shaking both men by the hand. He enquired about their flight and their health before his English counterpart brought the conversation back to the business of the day.

'You have the arrest warrant inspector Manduca?'

'It is being sworn out even as we speak inspector.'

'I was rather hoping that it would be ready by now. In fact, I was hoping you might have picked them up by now.'

'Relax Inspector everything will be fine. You would like some coffee yes?'

'Yes please,' said John Robson 'I'm gasping.'

The inspector called out of the office door. 'Constable Navarro, three coffees in here if you please.'

Colin Davies saw a young female police officer leave her seat in the next office and go to a coffee pot in the corner of the office, She came into the office with three mugs on a tray with milk and biscuits.

'Have we got that arrest warrant yet Constable'

'Yes sir but we do have a problem. I've been speaking to the harbour master. He said that the ship we are looking for never docked here today.'

Colin Davies looked straight at his sergeant.

'She's here, boss. She came in just after ten this morning. I can ring the station and see if there's anyone available to check the computer. That will tell us where she is now but she was certainly here when we left.'

'Sorry sir, but the harbour master has checked all the vessels that arrived today. Your yacht is not on the list.'

'It's not a yacht, it's a ketch. It's sixty feet long for god's sake. You can't miss something like that. It must be in the harbour somewhere.'

'Well we've checked and there is no Bee Jay II.'

'Can we get down there now. If our boat's not there, I want to know where that tracker signal is coming from.'

An hour later, they all stood in the harbour master's office scanning the lists of comings and goings. As the harbour master had said, there was no record of Bee Jay II. Sergeant Robson started looking at the arrival times and one name stood out. He looked up at the harbourmaster.

'This one here.' He tapped an entry in the log. 'Billie Jean, where is she?'

'Here.' Said the harbourmaster, pointing to a location on the map of the harbour. 'She is booked in for two days.'

'Can you take us to her?'

'Certainly, we should be able to see her from the dock outside.'

They all left the office and stood on the quayside while the harbourmaster pointed to the empty berth where Bee Jay should have been moored. The assistant harbourmaster came to meet them.

'Luca, where is the vessel from berth W25.' Asked the master.

'You mean the big white yacht? She's gone, left about half an hour ago.'

Colin Davies immediately rounded on his Maltese opposite number.

'You've done nothing but delay us since we arrived, and now they've left a day early. I have to ask, Inspector. Who tipped them off?'

'Inspector Davies I have to remind you this is my country, not yours. We have accorded you every courtesy since you arrived and now you see fit to insult my officers and me. I think it is time you left our Island. Rest assured my superiors will be taking this matter up with yours. Now there is nothing more to be achieved here, I'm going home. I wish you a safe journey home.'

'Well, that went well.'

'So what would you have done, John?'

'Dunno guv, probably the same as you. Doesn't make it right though does it.'

'Think yourself lucky I didn't blame you. If you hadn't accepted their coffee, we'd have been here half an hour earlier and may have stopped them leaving. He's got the luck of the devil that Ryan Betts. First Gibraltar and now here, but I'll get him, John, you see if I don't.'

'What are you going to do about Manduca? We are going to be unpopular with the super as it is without him making complaints.'

'I'll book us on a flight home tomorrow, but I'll make sure there's enough time to call in and apologise before we go.'

Ryan pretended not to notice that Samantha had stopped locking the cabin door. He'd noticed that her attitude had changed a little, she seemed more frightened and more willing to help out when he needed it. His arm was feeling so much better that he broke the plaster away from his hand so that he could use his wrist. It was still difficult for him to do everything on the boat. He really needed to get the plaster removed and get his elbow mobile again. He looked at the charts and planned a route. He needed somewhere where he could either get the plaster removed or get the tools to do it himself. That meant finding a place where there were plenty of English speakers and no extradition treaty with Britain. Northern Cyprus was the place that stood out.

'Next stop Crete.' He told Samantha as she came out to prepare breakfast. 'We can anchor offshore and take the tender into the beach, then walk into town.'

'We don't have to Ryan, I mean this is not exactly a holiday is it.'

'Well maybe not, but there's no reason we can't enjoy ourselves a bit. We need fresh food, we should have got some in Malta, but I thought you needed to get away.'

'I was upset about the newspaper, that's all.'

'Well now they've published a picture of the boat, we'll have to be more careful. At least in Crete and Rhodes. When we get to Kyrenia we'll be able to dock.'

'Kyrenia, where's that?'

'Northern Cyprus, that's the Turkish sector. No one but Turkey recognises them so no one can touch us there.'

'So that's it is it we hole up in Kyrenia and wait for them to find a way of getting us out of there. The money in the safe won't last forever.'

'No we won't be stopping there for more than a week or two. We have to go through the Suez Canal and I'm going to need two hands for that. I need to get this cast off, and Northern Cyprus looks like the best place to do that.'

'Does it feel OK now, your arm that is?'

'It's getting better all the time. I've already broken out the wrist and it doesn't feel bad when I use my hand. I need to get my elbow working again.'

Chapter 12

In Crete they anchored in the bay at Heraklion and took the tender ashore, they shopped in the tourist sector where they wouldn't stand out. Once they got their supplies, they got a taxi back to the beach and were soon back on board Bee Jay. They lay at anchor for the rest of the day and Samantha did a little sunbathing while Ryan did what maintenance he could with his one hand. In the evening, Sam cooked dinner and they shared a bottle of wine. By the time they turned in Samantha was a little drunk, which made her more amenable to Ryan's advances. When she woke the following morning, she found that she was not alone. She found herself torn between just accepting the way things were and trying to fight against it. In the end, she decided to go with the flow. She got up and prepared breakfast while Ryan prepared to set sail. As they sat on the deck, Sam looked out at Crete.

'I wish we could just go ashore and explore. I never knew Crete was mountainous, from here it looks really beautiful.'

'It won't be long before we can go anywhere. I'll get us new identities and we can go where we want.'

'Anywhere except Britain. I still won't be able to go home to see my friends and family, will I?'

'No, but once we are established they can come and see us.'

'That's still a long way from freedom though isn't it?'

'Yes, it's also a long way from being locked in prison. I know it's not ideal but I'm making the best of a bad situation.'

`And who made the situation bad?' She thought but decided to keep it to herself. She still entertained the thought of giving herself up.

'Well, tomorrow we can explore Rhodes. Maybe that will make you feel a bit better. I'm going to get underway.'

He got up weighed anchor and started raising sails. In less than five minutes, they were underway. Late that evening they dropped anchor in Kathara Bay near Faliraki. After a day of exploring what they could of Rhodes, they set sail for Northern Cyprus.

Kyrenia was once a small fishing village. Prior to the Turkish invasion, it started to develop as a tourist destination. Since the invasion, it had become the main port for the Turkish sector of Cyprus. Samantha looked nervously at the two Turkish gunboats as they entered the harbour. Ryan contacted the harbour master and was allocated a berth. Ryan seemed more relaxed than Samantha had seen him since his attack on Will. They tied up at midday and they spent the evening in a quayside restaurant having there first proper dinner in weeks. For the whole of their first day, they did nothing but relax and soak up the atmosphere of the town.

On the second day, Ryan went out to find a hospital and get his plaster cut off. Samantha wandered through the town, she bought a few postcards to send to her friends and family. She sat in a café and wrote out a card to send to Will.

My Darling Will,

I am so sorry for what has happened. You must know that I had nothing to do with it. I pleaded with Ryan to go back for you but he refused. I was powerless. I'm so glad you are alive. Please forgive me, my love.

Samantha

She wrote out another to her best friend Jane and one to her parents. She finished her coffee and set off to find a Post Office. With the postcards sent, she made her way back to the harbour and Bee Jay II. Ryan came back later with a bandage and a plastic support on his arm. He didn't seem particularly happy and his arm was in a sling.

'Why is your arm still in a sling?'

'They thought I should support it for part of the day.'

'Does it hurt?'

'It hurts to straighten it. I won't be able to carry anything for a while. What have you been up to?'

Samantha told him how she had spent her day and Ryan got more and more agitated.

'Please tell me you didn't send them. We are on the run from the authorities, There are probably European arrest warrants out for us, and you want to send postcards telling everyone where we are.'

'Mum and Dad will be worried about me. I wanted them to know that I was all right. You said we were safe here, that no one could touch us.'

'I know what I said and we probably are safe. I'd still prefer people not to know where we are. One thing is for sure now. If we are going to visit the south, we'll have to do it before those postcards reach England. After that, we won't get through the border.'

The following day they rented a Jeep and drove across the border to Nicosia. Sam was still considering giving herself up to the Cypriot police. She talked to Ryan about it and he did his best to persuade her to stay with him. They spent the day shopping and site seeing. Ryan bought a three-day-old copy of The Guardian They stopped in a small café and while Samantha went to the toilet, Ryan sat reading the newspaper. He was just flipping through the business section when a headline caught his eye.

WAINWRIGHT SHOWS HE'S NOT DEAD YET.

Millionaire businessman William Wainwright, who only recently survived an attempt on his life, is rumoured to be the driving force behind the hostile takeover of McMahon Construction. Although the official line is that a corporation based in Grand Cayman is behind the takeover, it bears all the hallmarks of a Wainwright operation. In the weeks leading up to the takeover, the previous owner of the company, Sir George McMahon has been seen in negotiations with a woman recently identified as Mr Wainright's Personal Assistant.

When Sam came back and sat down, he put the paper on the table.

'What's the main reason for wanting to go home?'

'I want to talk to Will. I have to make him see that I had nothing to do with what happened. Maybe if I can do that, there may still be a chance for us, Will and me.'

'I think it may be too late for that.' He tapped the newspaper on the table. 'It says here that he has already filed for divorce.'

Tears ran down her cheeks as she read the newspaper article, as she got further down the page she looked up at Ryan.

'It says here that he's lost the use of one leg. He's in a wheelchair now. You did that to him, Ryan. Now he hates me and it's all your fault.'

Ryan felt the anger rising up in him and almost said what he felt. That his only regret was not making sure Will was dead, before putting him in the water.

She wiped her eyes and blew her nose on a tissue before gathering herself together.

'Have you read this?' Ryan nodded. 'All of it?'

'No, just the important bits.'

'So you didn't get to the bit that says they know exactly where we are? Two policemen flew into Malta the day we were there. They must have missed us by hours. You thought you were so smart, making them think we went to the Canaries, and all this time they knew we were in the Med. To think you had the nerve to ridicule me for sending postcards. They've probably already worked out where we were going.'

Ryan had never seen her like this before. She was angry, really angry and she was also starting to doubt that he knew what he was doing. He felt he had to say something to reassure her.

1...89101112...15