House Swap

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yeah, maybe she was in the bathroom." With that, she gave up and moved on. "Are you making waffles?"

"I am. Do you want one?"

"Yes! With whipped cream. Lots and lots of whipped cream, okay, Daddy?"

"Coming right up!" he told her as he stirred the batter. The waffle maker was already warm and within a couple of minutes, a golden waffle was on Stephanie's plate. Chance cut it in half then cut it into small bites for her.

"Here you go. Put as much on as you want," he told her handing her the can of whipped cream.

Stephanie squirted out an unbelievably big mountain of whipped cream which completely covered the waffle.

"Having some waffle with your whipped cream?" he teased.

Stephanie missed the sarcasm and used her fork to find a piece of the buried treasure.

"These are yummy!" she said with a mouthful of waffle.

"I'm glad you like it, sweetie. Try not to talk with your mouth full though, okay?"

Stephanie nodded then shoved another big chunk in before the first one was gone. Chance smiled but didn't laugh. She was so sweet and innocent.

He looked up and saw Meredith right behind his daughter. "Hello there!" he said watching Meredith put her hands on Stephanie's little shoulders. She kissed the top of her head and Stephanie said, "Daddy made waffles. They're really good. You should try one."

"I believe I will," she said smiling at Chance.

She came around to his side and smiled, looked at Stephanie, then back at Chance. "It's fine," he told her just before kissing her. "Good morning. You look so beautiful."

"Good morning," she said back. "I am so...happy."

"You guys kiss a lot," Stephanie said as she chomped away.

"And we hug a lot, too," her dad said as he held his new lover close.

"So you must be in love. Just like I am with Preston," she announced.

Chance brushed back her pretty hair then looked into her eyes. "You know, honey, you might just be right."

Meredith's eyes were fixed on his as he spoke. Then she said, "I do believe she's onto something."

Meredith did indeed have a waffle only she chose butter and syrup over whipped cream.

After breakfast, she'd just finished showering and getting dressed when her phone rang. It was Gayle.

"Hi, honey!" she said cheerfully.

"Hey, Mom!" her daughter said. "So how are you?"

"Me? Oh, I'm okay," she replied trying to sound normal. "How about you?"

"Honestly? I'm sad. I...I wish I'd come home. I feel really terrible for leaving you all alone. Are you really okay?"

"I'm fine," she said as Chance saw her and stepped into the room. Meredith mouthed, "It's Gayle."

"I want to fly home and see you," she said almost desperately.

"To Florida?" her mom said with growing concern. "Did you already buy a ticket?"

"No, but I'm going to as soon as we hang up. Mom? I...I didn't tell you everything about why I stayed."

"Oh?" she said pretending not to know.

"I...I went somewhere with Drew. You know, my boyfriend? I...I went to his parents' home in Phoenix. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you."

"It's okay, sweetheart," Meredith told her. "Is everything all right?"

"Oh, sure. His family is really great. He's great. Phoenix is great. But I just miss you so much and I can't stand that you're all alone. So...I'm coming home, okay?"

"Um...okay, but before you buy a ticket, there's something I need to tell you. Are you sitting down?"

"Mom? You're scaring me. What's wrong?"

Meredith spent the next couple minutes explaining what happened without mentioning Chance.

"So...so you're in Seattle? Seriously?"

"Well, Bellevue to be more precise, but yes, I'm essentially in Seattle. I went to your apartment to surprise you, but it was me who got surprised."

"Oh, Mom! I am so, so sorry! Now I really feel terrible! So you're in a strange house in a strange city, and all alone? That's even worse than being..."

"Meredith? Come on! Let me show you something!" Stephanie said as she ran into the room.

"Mom? Who was that and why did it sound like a little girl?"

"Um, well, maybe because she's six years old. Her name is Stephanie."

"Okaaaay... And who is Stephanie and why is she there with you? Are you babysitting that guy's child or something?" Gayle asked with growing concern.

"Or something," she said enjoying the game.

"Mom? You're scaring me again. What's going on?"

"Well, as it turns out, I...kind of met someone."

"Really? You...you met someone? In Seattle? Already?"

"It's Bellevue, but yes, I did meet someone."

"That's...that's great. Right? I mean, do you like this guy? Is he divorced? How did you meet him?"

"Well, if you're coming home as in back to Seattle, maybe we could spend Christmas together and then I can answer all your questions."

"Mother? You're not telling me something. Something important. Something you don't want me to know." She paused then said, "Oh, my God. Don't tell me he's married. Are you seeing a married man?"

Meredith laughed loudly then said, "No, honey, I'm not seeing a married man." She saw the look on Chance's face and laughed again.

"Mom? This isn't funny. Who is this guy?"

"His name is Chance and he lost his wife just over two years ago. And yes, I really like him."

"Whew. Okay, so he's not married. So...what are you not telling me? You know you'll tell me so let's just get it over with right now. Come on, Mom. What's the big secret?"

"Well, he might be just a bit younger than me. That's all."

"A bit? How much is a bit? Like 3-4 years? Five?"

"Maybe a tiny bit more," she said still smiling.

"Oh, my God. Ten? Is he ten years younger than you? Mom, have you lost your mind?"

"No, he is not ten years younger than me, but that's all I'm going to say until you get back. Are you still coming back?"

"I...I guess," she said. "Do I want to come back?"

"I want you to come back. I really want you to meet him, honey."

"Mom, you just met this guy. And yet you sound all happy so... Maybe I should come home. Just in case you have lost your mind or...worse."

"I haven't lost my mind," she assured Gayle. "But someone seems to have found my heart." She looked at Chance and smiled.

"Okay. That's it. I'm catching the first flight back to Seattle. I'll let you know when I get in. I knew I should have flown home to Orlando. I knew it!"

"Bye, honey! See you soon!" she said before hanging up.

"Will we be having company for Christmas?" he asked.

"One for sure. Maybe two if her boyfriend comes with. Is that okay?"

"Hey, remember me telling you anything you want is okay?"

"Yes."

"Then it's okay. In fact, I can't wait to meet her."

"She thinks you're maybe 42-ish so..."

"Oh, okay. So we may need to have EMTs on standby when she meets me?"

"She'll be okay. She'll be very surprised, but when she sees how happy I am, she'll be fine."

Chance took her in his arms and said, "Are you happy?"

"I've never been so happy in my entire life," she told him. "I hope this isn't a dream, but even if it is, it's been the most pleasant dream ever."

"It's not a dream, Meredith. It's real," he told her. "You know what else is real?"

"What?" she asked looking into his eyes.

"The way I feel about you."

"And how do you feel about me?" she asked quietly.

"Like I'm falling in love with you. Like that," he replied before kissing her.

"I think I fell in love yesterday. And if I wasn't sure before last night, I am now."

"I love you, Meredith," he said putting a hand on her cheek.

"I love you too, Chance," she told him before she kissed him.

Stephanie was standing there with her arms crossed, waiting for them to finally pay some attention to her.

"Does someone want to play with me?" she asked exasperatedly.

"I do!" Meredith said. She looked at Chance and said, "Why don't you go take a shower, while we play?"

"I'd rather take one with you, but...okay," he told her. "Be right back."

"Take your time. We have lots of things to do, Daddy!" Meredith said calling him by the name Stephanie used.

"He's not your daddy, silly. He's my daddy. He's your...honey!" she said authoritatively.

"Yes, he is," Meredith agreed as she gave this sweet little girl a hug.

The following day, Chance had done something for only the second time in his life. He'd braved the shopping malls with Meredith and Stephanie just before Christmas. Even the crush of people couldn't dampen his spirits as he turned sideways, said excuse me, and stood in line for most of the day.

They'd nearly filled his car with presents, many of which were snuck out so that Stephanie couldn't see them. Knowing Gayle and possibly Drew were coming over meant buying for them, as well.

Neither Chance nor Gayle even looked at price tags. When they saw something they wanted, they bought it. It didn't matter that it wouldn't be a surprise. The fun was in being together and doing something for the other person.

With everything wrapped after a very long session late the night before followed by another very passionate night of lovemaking, there were more presents under the tree than Chance had ever seen the next morning. Then again, even the tree and the decorations were thanks to Meredith who scoffed at his suggestion of putting up his fake tree.

"Not this year," she told with a hug and a kiss. "This is feeling very real to me now and I don't want anything fake anywhere near us." Chance was happy to agree, go help her find a tree, and then, along with Stephanie, decorate it.

"Santa Claus will be so excited when he sees our beautiful tree!" she exclaimed proudly. "And don't forget. We have to leave out cookies and milk because he gets so hungry from taking all the presents to boys and girls everywhere in the whole wide world!"

It was 9am on the morning of Christmas Eve when they got ready to go to the airport. Drew was indeed coming with her, but Chance sat Meredith down and said, "Why don't you go alone so Gayle can have some time alone with you? Well, since Drew's coming too, at least some time without me. If I'm there, she won't feel free to say what she's really thinking."

"Like how I've lost my mind?" she said unable to stop smiling. "I have, you know."

"You're not the only one, honey," he told her.

"Every time you call me that, I still get goosebumps." She kissed him and said, "I love you so much, Chance. I think I may actually believe in fate."

"I love you too, beautiful," he told her. "It feels like all the stars aligned at exactly the right time."

"Or we won the lottery."

"Or both," he said. "Here, you take the keys and go get your daughter and I'll be here waiting for you."

"You better be," she warned him playfully. "Okay, I'll be back as soon as I can."

"It's gonna be a zoo at the airport so be prepared."

"Nothing could get me down this year...sweetheart," she said as she hugged and kissed him goodbye.

The traffic was awful and the parking even worse. But after finally getting inside and getting a tearful hug from her daughter and meeting Drew for the first time, she forgot about all that.

As they made there way outside and then to the Jaguar, Gayle's first question was about the car. "Wow. Nice wheels, Mom. Is this a rental or does this belong to your um...is he your boyfriend? This younger guy of yours."

"You could say that," she answered without offering details.

"If his house is anything like his car..."

"It's nice," Meredith said. "So is his uncle's. The one I swapped with."

They got in and Meredith started the car. "Does that mean you're not staying in the house you swapped for?"

"Maybe," her mother said.

"Mom? You haven't stopped smiling since I first saw you. You're not all crazy for this guy you barely even know, right?"

"Oh, maybe," she said again.

"My mom has lost her mind. She's gone senile at 50."

"Maybe, but she really is hot," Drew said drawing a sharp elbow. "What? She is. I told you that when you showed me her pictures."

"Thank you, Drew," she said appreciatively.

"It's true, Mrs. Lancaster," he said getting one more jab. "Would you stop? I need those ribs! All of them."

"So...how old is this guy of yours? You never actually told me, you know."

"Why don't you meet him first and then we'll talk about it?" she suggested.

"You really like this guy, don't you? I can see it in your face! Mom, you need to slow down. Take a breath. Put some space between the two of you."

"You don't want me to get hurt, do you?" she said. "That's very sweet."

"Well, what's wrong with that? What's wrong with not wanting your mother to get hurt?" Gayle said defensively.

"Shouldn't I be the one worrying about that? I barely know Drew but I already like him. Can't you give Chance the came opportunity?"

"Thank you, Mrs. Lancaster," Drew said covering up his side.

"And please call me Meredith. Unlike my daughter who doesn't seem to trust my judgment or my instincts, I trust hers completely."

"Oh, way to go, Mom. Way to inflict the guilt!" Gayle said.

"Is it working?" she said still smiling.

"Yes," Gayle said almost pouting. "Okay. Fine. I'll give this guy a...chance."

Gayle saw her mom's reaction then started laughing. "I want to be so mad at you, but I can't," Gayle said. "You seem so happy and it's been a long time since you were."

"I am happy, honey. I am as happy as I can every remember and that's not taking anything away from your father. Please never think that's the case."

"It's just hard, Mom. I've never seen you with anyone but Daddy, and now you have this guy who's like way younger. He's not under 40 is he? You wouldn't...you couldn't... Could you?"

"Remember your promise," Meredith said politely.

"I heard her, Meredith," Drew said getting another shot. "Geez, Gayle!" he said rubbing his side.

As they pulled into Chance's neighborhood Gayle looked around and said, "Oh, for crying out loud. He lives here?"

"Yes," Meredith said. "He owns a construction company that's done quite well. His uncle lives just up the road and his house is almost as amazing as Chance's."

"How old did you say his daughter is? Six?"

"Yes. Six going on sixteen. Just like someone I once knew that that long ago."

"Mom! Please!" she said as Drew chimed in with how nothing's really changed.

When she pulled the Jaguar into the garage Gayle let out another, "Holy crap! This place is freaking amazing."

"The inside is even more so," Meredith said. She helped them with their bags and the small gifts they were carrying then said, "Now, be nice and behave yourself." She was still smiling as she opened the door and stepped inside.

Gayle began looking around and said, "I thought our house in Orlando was nice."

"It is," her mom said. "It's just not quite this nice."

"Meredith!" A little blur came screaming around the corner and ran straight into her arms. "You were gone a long time!" she said. Then she noticed the other two adults and got unusually quiet.

"Hi there!" Gayle said bending down. "You are adorable! My name is Gayle."

Stephanie let go of Meredith and said, "Hello. I'm Stephanie. I'm six years old."

"Nice to meet you, Stephanie. This is my boyfriend, Drew."

Drew bent down, smiled then gave her such a big handshake it made her giggle. "You're silly!" she said.

"Don't tell anyone!" he said quietly as though it was a big secret.

"Come on! Let me show you our Christmas tree and all the presents!" Stephanie said leaving them no option but to follow.

"Let me get your coats because once Stephanie gets ahold of you, it's game over."

"She is so sweet!" Gayle said handing her coat to her mom. "So where is this guy of yours?"

As they walked through the kitchen and entered the living room, Gayle saw him standing there smiling and waiting.

"Gayle? Welcome," he said walking toward her.

"Oh...my...God..." Gayle mumbled.

Chance had his hand out but Gayle was dumbstruck. Rather than let it bother him, he hugged her even though she never moved.

"And you must be Drew," he said offering him his hand.

"I am. Nice to finally meet you. And nice place," he said still looking around.

"Can I get anyone something to eat or drink?" he asked.

Gayle was still shell-shocked.

"Remember your promise!" Drew said loving the drama.

"Gayle?" her mother said. "Would you like something?"

She blinked a couple of times then realized she was still staring. "Oh, right. Um...sure. Maybe some coffee?"

"Coming right up," Chance said. "Black? Milk and sugar?"

"Just some cream for Gayle," Meredith said answering for her.

"Drew?"

"No, I'm good," he said now unable to stop smiling himself. He said to himself, "And this is gonna be so good!"

When Chance walked away, Gayle glared at her mom. "Mother! What are you doing? He's like...he's like..."

"Thirty-two," she said. "He's 32 years old, honey."

"Thirty-two," Gayle said, her voice hollow. "I...I don't even know what to say."

"How about, if you're happy, then I'm happy for you, Mom?" Meredith suggested.

"Remember your promise!" Drew said rubbing it in.

"Gayle? Honey? I really, really like him. A lot. So please, please be nice. Will you?"

Chance was coming back with the coffee and Gayle managed to say thank you.

He handed the mug then said to Drew who was still standing, "Have a seat, please. How was your flight?" Chance asked.

Drew said, "It was packed. We were on standby for 12 hours and we really lucky to get two seats together. There was a baby crying and there was this really big dude sitting in front of us who needed to take a shower in the worst way."

"Sounds lovely," Chance said.

"Does anyone want to color with me?" Stephanie asked as she walked in carrying two coloring books and a box of 64 Crayons.

"I had a box just like that when I was your age," Gayle said. "Come sit by me and I'll color with you, okay?"

"No, I'll color with her," Drew said. "You need to get better acquainted with your mom's new boyfriend."

Gayle shot him a death look which Drew completely ignored. "Which one do you want me to color?" he asked Stephanie as he sat on the floor with her.

"I'm sure this is more than a little awkward, Gayle, but your mom and I really like each other."

"A lot," Meredith said again.

"Look. The elephant in the room is the age difference and it's not going to go away so if you want to talk about it, that's fine. It might even be helpful," Chance said.

"I'm really sorry, Chance. I don't mean to be rude. It's just such a shock, you know? I need some time to adjust."

"That's more than reasonable," he said. "I can't exactly put myself in your shoes, but were I to try, I think I'd have a similar reaction. So no pressure from this end. I promise."

"Nor from me, honey," her mom said. "But that doesn't mean I'm going to hide my feelings for Chance, either."

Gayle looked at her mom then at Chance then back at her mom. "Fine, just...no tongues, okay?" before everyone laughed breaking the ice. Not completely, but the first heavy cracks were visible.

Once Gayle got over the initial shock, she was finally able to talk about her own relationship and how much Drew meant to her.

"So...are you in love?" Meredith asked.

"With this lunk?" she teased pushing Drew, who was on the floor, with her foot. He looked over and smiled as Gayle said, "Yeah, maybe a little." He smiled at her then said, "Oh, what the hell. Yes, I love him very much." Drew wiggled his eyebrows then Gayle said, "I have no idea why, but I do."

"And I love your daughter very much, Meredith. And I know exactly why," he said smiling happily.

"You're not coloring!" Stephanie complained.

Another round of laughter really lightened the mood.

"And...how about you guys?" Gayle asked almost afraid to know the answer.

Meredith looked at Chance who smiled at her and said, "You go ahead."

"Gayle, you know I'm a very religious person, but the way things have happened with regard to meeting Chance are enough to make me wonder if there isn't someone or something 'out there'."