All Comments on 'How High a Price'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 220 Comments
AgenaAgenaabout 14 years ago
Exceptional

An exceptional story. Well written with a great story-line.

Poizon69Poizon69about 14 years ago
Well.

A 5 star rating for the a well written story. But would I give the wife a second chance? That is a tough question, and honestly? I really don't know. Anyway good story Slirpuff well done for this story it kept me reading and I just had to finish it. Do I want this couple to make it? Yes I do. And that shows how good your story is you have got an emotional response so well done for that. And as always you keep writing and I will keep reading.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Excellent

Thanks Slirpuff...Mancelt.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
You did your best....

...with the story except for the longer and boring counselling sessions.

LazylonerLazylonerabout 14 years ago
good

definitely a strong and powerful story. I agree quite a bit with Poizon69 in that I loved the story, but I'm not entirely sure I could have been as forgiving as your hero. I've been around an addict and know enough to realize that Sandy's recovery is not assured and if she does backslide she's going to be far mroe sneaky the second time. Your hero is looking at a very hard life ahead.

But the story hits all the emotional points and flowed well. Keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Excellent story

Full of in-depth and very appropriate emotion, showing clearly the depth of despair he was suffering and the lost emptiness of his life without her.

Well written and one of your best to date.

You continue to improve and I now have an eager anticipation when I see your name on a story.

Thanks a lot.

Norman D

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Fine writer-- Steve is a total self-centered idiot

Well written, sad story about wife gradually drifting into drug addiction . Husband ,understandably broken hearted but too short tempered, and totally self centered to be of any help.

the Ct. Yankee

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
hmm....

I've also been around an addict and believe me, it aint pretty. that being said, i dont think someone should be forgiven because they have a "disease". thats bullshit and frankly im surprised you had him stay for that year and a half/two yrs begging and pleading for her to get help. of course thats before he knew she was selling her body for drugs, which i believe is known as being a cherry. but that fucking line about how hes not sure if what she did are deal breakers. are you retarded!? not only did she do every drug under sun, along with guys, but she sold several prescious family items and made his and lisas' life hell. and then you had that bs about how she didnt cheat because half the time she didnt even know what she was doing. so that means for the other half, she knew exactly what she was doing. i mean, you write somewhat interesting stories but then you fuck them up by writing terrible endings. haha, in case you havent noticed, im not much for forgiveness. im not a torch the bitch kind a of guy, but im not sure everything can be forgiven nor should they be.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
no

no, this story is garbage in real life she would at least feel something and you made him out to be an idiot i think i would become a druggie if i lived with him.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Great story

This is a great story, one of your best. I would like to see them make the marriage work. I think it will be tough considering all that they have been through. I don't think your hero has completely come to grips with her actions.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Re: The no comment.

Get a life you sad person. if you say you would rather be a drugged up person with no future and no life? you have no idea what your talking about. Go talk to some drug addicted kids in rehab, you might feel a little different about it. Good story Slirpuff.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Has she sold her daughter yet?

She sold everything not nailed down, including herself, and turned tricks in her family home. The only item of value left available to her is her daughter. I hope that there will not be another part to this story.

bruce22bruce22about 14 years ago
A Rough Read

Excellent but painful exposition. Basically there is now way you can be sure that the significant other will not fall off the wagon, whether it be alcohol,

drugs or sex addiction. Some of the cheaters described in other stories are getting their highs from cheating, unlike the woman in this story. Very fine work, but I hope that no one does a negative sequel or even tries to "improve the story".

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Not your best story

I like most of your stories, but this seemed pointless and boring. Actually, your couple of stories didn't really seem to go anywhere. I suggest you go back to stories about cheating wives, assertive husbands, and consequences.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Wow

That's all I can say. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Re:Re: No comment.

Ok little man, enough playing around. I think you were in the rehab with other drug addict kids, I'm fucking sure. Time to go back there, little sissy guy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Never Cured

Not necessarily a "loving wives" story but a fairly realistic portrayal of how addiction can tear up a family and one's life. She will always be an addict, even if in recovery. What was missing for me, after she was in counseling for some time, was her lack of struggle with her "craving" . . . she dealt with her anxiety but not the things that trigger addiction. I also did not get the feeling she was ever really remorseful about hocking her rings.

Yes, I liked the story. As a certified addiction specialist and psychologist I also felt the counselor was more of your touchy-feely therapists rather than someone who challenges the fucked-up cognitive-emotive processes of an addict.

Sophist801

hawkeye007hawkeye007about 14 years ago
I didn't take mine back

I had a wife like Sandy. I didn't take her back. There was too much damage done for me to consider it.

peteinchicagopeteinchicagoabout 14 years ago
very good story

though personally I dodn't see taking her back. When she came back after living on the streets as a full time crack whore, that would have been it. Hell, once she started stealing from the house, selling the wedding ring that probably would have been it. Her attitude that being a cock whore isn't cheating is idiotic. The lack of remorse is beyond belief. In my experience drug addicts never change, as soon as life gets hard she will relapse. Enjoyable, well written story though.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Your Best Writing

Nicely written!!! drmike

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
WTF

Another take'em back no matter what they've done fairy tale. She was a fucking CRACK WHORE selling her body for two months on the streets for god's sakes no matter how nicely her shrink wanted it viewed. Boot her and move on dude. This story is a dud.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Give it an A-

Another well written, thoughtful story about a common problem with some realistic emotions. The only things I feel are missing are a 12 step program for her and maybe even an Al-Anon program for him to deal with his anger and his other issues and learn to keep the focus on himself. But, as always, your stories meet my high expectations. Thank you.

zed0zed0about 14 years ago
Afraid This One Sucks Big Time!

He takes back a crack whore AND is too much of a wimp to get a revenge fuck because his crack whore slut wife said they may not get back together if he cheated??? Un-Fucking-believable!!! He can't even try to move up to a non-crack whore? Gimme a break, this should be listed in the BAD Sci-Fi and Unbelievable Fiction category. I'm sure you had a lot more fun writing this pap than myself (and most of your readers) had reading this crap.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Excellent Work

Thank you for this unusual story. You either have experience with addicts or have a great imagination. My only "complaint" is that, statistically speaking, there is no way she didn't get a gift that keeps on giving.

You have generated quite a bit of opposing view points. I am not sure if I could have done what he did. I think that I would have filed for divorce when I knew she was whoring for drugs. However, I do believe in redemption and recovery. I do not see this as a "reconciliation at all costs" story. Steve was not a wimp but a man willing to try to forgive and recover. His wife's attitude and willingness to seek recovery was a key factor.

Many thanks for your writing, it has improved a lot!

Ttom

rnorskirnorskiabout 14 years ago
As a recovering person

As a recovering person of 28 years all I can say is this is a very good story. I married a woman who was a addicts can and do change. My wife and I divorced and 5 months later we remarried. She is now clean and I am very proud of her. This story reminded me of the work we did. Our vows as I remember are in the good times and the bad times.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 14 years ago
Nothing erotic in this story, but it is well written

To be honest, I would never ever been able to trust Sandy with my daughter. I would have kept up with Connie and upgraded when she became available. Powerful and well written story, though.

DanielQSteele1DanielQSteele1about 14 years ago
Good story, but just a snapshot

This was another very good story. As I think a lot of people have noted, the writer just keeps getting better. I like the fact that the writer is writing stories that aren't simply the same old 'wife cheats-is she forgiven' plots.

But like other readers, i have a few problems with the story. First, every individual and every story is unique. But I've known people and couples where there was a substance abuse problem, and I'd say it's much more common for those marriages to crash in flames than to survive. Living with an alcoholic or drug abusing spouse is infinitely harder than living with a cheating spouse. Mainly because a person who is deeply addicted is literally a different person - and an out-of-control person than the one you married.

When you add sexual cheating - the crack whore bit - to all the other problems posed in dealing with an addict, that's a tough mountain to climb.

I honestly don't know if I personally could do it.

And finally, the reason why I say this story is a snapshot, is because two years is literally nothing in the story of an addict. I knew an addict very well who took 20 years to recover to the point of maintaining a stable and non-using life, and that came after many relapses. You to love somebody a whole bunch to forgive them after the 5th or `10th relapse, and that's not out of the question even for somebody like the wife who is trying to put her life back together.

I like happy endings, and I wish the couple in the story a good life, but I can't help thinking the husband is likely in for at least some more heartache down the line.

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteabout 14 years ago
Most would have had her busted....

....long before she fell so far. Good tale, thanks. Just wish he'd have gone Death Wish on some crack pimps!

The NavigatorThe Navigatorabout 14 years ago
Excellent

A troubling story line, sure to bring the critics out of the woodwork. But well done. The ending was just about two frail people trying to get by from day to day. There are a lot of real people like that.<p> <p> <p> It would seem a lot of the "throw her to the curb" crowd did not take seriously the author's admonition and read again the opening paragraph. This is just a story, about people created in the author's mind, to his specifications. He made them extraordinary and chose to let them have feelings deeper and more profound than many of us are capable of. So be it; the author's choice. <p> <p> <p> You have come a long way, Slirpuff, but you still need a good editor to point out the nagging sentence errors that detract from an otherwise excellent story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
classic comments

In a another awful Slirpuff story the wife has become a druggie and whore... and the loseer husband waits for 2 years ..

so naturally the reconcile!?!?!? LOL....

meanwhile CT yankee is again blaming ONLY the husband while Poizon and Bruce 22 give this 5 starts for the idiot husband irrational behavior...

some things never chnage

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 14 years ago
Question for DanielQSteele

you raises severel very good point about how wretchedly bad this stories ending IS...

then you give it high marks?

dude where the hell is your brain?

if the story is filed with cliches and unrealisitic with poor character development why give it good sscores?

oldwayneoldwayneabout 14 years ago
Life's seamier side on vivid display!

I have seen too many relationships go into this kind of hell because of drugs. I've even experienced it in my own family. I would like to say that somewhere there is a bright tomorrow and a happy ending for all concerned, but that simply is not reality. Your protagonist would have been far better off to just cut his losses and move on.

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioabout 14 years ago
Enjoyed this one . . .

I don't know if the editor has changed; there were more writing errors in this story than in the last three combined, in my opinion. Getting past these (and they do distract the reader, BTW), the story was pretty good even though it was a pipe dream. Steve acts tough with his temper and verbal assaults but I suspect he is actually a coward since he waited so long (he put up with Sandy's shit for nearly 2 years!) to do anything. He even comes across as indecisive during the counseling sessions. Although he has been through a lot, he is not the most sympathetic character in the story (I think that would be Connie). Of course, the child, Lisa, pays the most because absolutely nothing is her fault but she must absorb fighting between her parents and the absence of her Mom (which suggests to her subconscious mind that her Mom does not really love her). Not sure how I'd handle this type of situation. One gets torn between the "for better or for worse" vow at the marriage ceremony and the "I can't take this any longer" endpoint. One other thing; I don't feel confident this marriage will really make it.

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 14 years ago
The counselling scene was where the story went to SHIT

This started out to be very good story but it breaks down over two areas.

But the good news is that these two failures reveals the authors pathological ned to force a reconciliation at ALL and ANY coast ...no matter what happens.

FIRST... CONNIE'S COMMENTS... are so OFF the mark that they can ONLY be made to set up the author' pathological needs

".......What's the difference between her sleeping with every Tom, Dick and Harry to get drug money and my husband shacking up with the floozy of the month or in his case, four months; it's all cheating. At least mine did it with a free will, yours it looks like was UNDER THE INFLUENCE of whatever she was taking at the time. I'm not saying to run to her with open arms, just that it's time to move on one way or another....."

no! God dam it NO!

The Wife was a SOCIAL WORKER!!! she of all people HAD to know what the signs were. Befroe she ever got addicted she shut down her husband and emotionally abandoned the daughter.

*** before she ever got addicted. ***

2. STEVE EXPLODES W/RAGE: The counselling scene where Steve explodes with rage was WELL DONE (see I said something positive).

Keep in Mind the wife has been Drug free for months at this point and IN therapy. Steve's rage is caused by the Wife's STILL lying and rationalizations about her being a crack whore.

It is very Damning that even now--MONTHS into therapy and sober-- the wife does NOT see what she did as a " Big deal". This is a STRONG sign the THERAPY has failed...totally.

Moreover when steve comes Back a few weeks later NO one... not the doctor... not the wife.... not Steve ...Talks about his rage and the wife Total failure to understand what she did.

In Fact Steve when he comes back STEVE is the one apologizing!!!??

You cannot be fucking serious.

awful... just a pathetic story

roadbirdroadbirdabout 14 years ago
nope

should never take her back ...n if so no ring or anything like that again..if she wants her ring then she can either find the iold one or buy herself a new one ...and id have taken the money from selling the house to buy azll new tools n whatever else of mine she sold ...but things i bought her before n she sold no way would i replace them...and yes id have had to fuck at least 50 other women to get even and no it wouldnt be chaeting on the wife just doing what she did ..n no it wouldnt mean a thing it woulde just be sex ..id of course buy her a cpl dildos so she could satisfy herself whjile i was fucking other women to make up for asll she fucked...lets just say it would be my price for taking her back...n yes id have done it on every piece of furniture except the kitchen chairs also

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
nicely done

Well written story. Drugs are a killer and it only takes one weak moment to start up again. He had patience, many would of ran for the high hills. Thanks for sharing.

GenghisKhanGenghisKhanabout 14 years ago

"I said twenty minutes and when I didn't get back I didn't want you to think I was doing something I shouldn't or with someone," she said openly crying grabbing for me. "I'm so sorry," she cried with her head buried in my shoulder holding me so tight I thought the blood would stop flowing to my brain. We stayed that way for the better part of a half hour. <p>

I said nothing; I just held her and I think that was what she really needed. Her eyes were red, the little makeup she'd had on was long gone and the front of her shirt and my shoulder were soaked from her tears. <p>

++++++++++++++++++++ <p>

Oh, please! I can't take it any more, I am gonna cry, too! <p>

What fuckin' nonsense. Yes, Slirpuff, I went back and re-read the first paragraph. <p>

The problem with people these days is that they take no responsibility for their actions. <p>

Why? <p>

Because they have a huge industry of endless types of marriage counselors, psychotherapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, Buddhist monks, evengelical preachers, astrologers, shaman, priests, sex addiction 12 step help groups, intensive sex addict clinics, on-line sex counselors, private resort sex counselors, specialist marital sexual dysfunction experts, hormonal inbalance doctors, family expert specialists, marriage expert specialists, nymphomaniac specialists, early ejeculation syndrom doctors, and a dozen or more I can't think of but exist out there..... all ready to do battle for the heart and soul of "committted" "sex addicts" like our teary-eye and naive Sandy and our hero here.... <p>

It's so hilarious, it makes me cry big tears, really (from laughing, that is... and, oh, yes, it's no laughing matter, 'cuz fucking around and having to get counseling for such common, no, I mean, uncomon and evil thing, is a horrible, horrible thing... and we should sympathize with these unfortunate victims of these uncontrollable sexual impulses)... LOL

BriteaseBriteaseabout 14 years ago
Great story

A different and some what daring story line. I've never had a problem like this with a wife, but as an employer for the last thirty years or so, I have had to deal with many youngsters who thought they could handle drugs only to diiscover to their cost that they couldn't. So many promising careers destroyed, and recently a young life lost.

Some people can handle cannabis, but so many find they can't and that leads on and on.

I've seen it. I've seen the suffering! I hate it!

So sad!

apollonaapollonaabout 14 years ago
I have a white hot hatred

of all of these illicit drugs.

Many of the struggles portrayed here seem reasonably realistic, but believe it or not, I think she cracked way too easily. I've seen the damage some of these drugs do, and as a matter of fact, my family is in the process right now of fighting the scourge known as Ice. An immediate family member is now suffering in a way that is really very hard to put into words, and appears to be in the process of losing his wife and son. With another child on the way. How can his wife stay with him and bring up their child? It's not an environment appropriate for a child. Let alone two.

He somehow managed to hide the extent of his addiction for twenty odd years, starting with pot, then progressing to speed, etc, and now ice.

It is by comparison spectacularly easy to write the person off and say 'fuck em', I'm not dealing with em anymore', than it is to say I'm sticking with you for the long haul....

Look, have you ever looked into the eye's of a father, who has just admitted he thinks of his son as dead? While the son still 'lives'? And the mother stands quietly in the corner weeping at her acceptance that after all these years, her child is not likely to survive much longer? The question has been asked in the end, that wouldn't it have been kinder if he dies quickly of an OD or something rather than drag this out in the family indefinitely?

I simply don't know what I would do if my wife turned out like Sandy in this story. I do have some views, but they're not really for publication as they tend to invoke extreme reactions from some people.

In all honesty, I don't think Sandy should have been allowed back. But I struggle even with that.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Well written

But not realistic, she would not stop till she died and he would not have taken her back. I ran a temp co. and watched these crack heads come in and they only left in a body bag. Women and men both lose everything including their lives, but never stoping. But I enjoyed it anyway, I guess their is always hope, just not much, thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
change your name?

If your stories get any more predictable you can change your name to DGHear ! Your earlier writings were a lot edgier and realistic. You seem to be a poster child for "Pollyanna" lately.

morefunnmorefunnabout 14 years ago
Well Done

Well done in my opinion. Others have and will disagree. But so be it. The story showed a lot of care and emotion in the writing and how such pain can literally break a person.

It was well written and fairly edited. Maybe a little more polish was needed, but it was still good. What I liked was a story that showed the damage that addictions can bring to a relationship. How those that are the addict, wander and are totally selfish in thier behavior. Also showed a loved one trying to help the addict and losing.

Here a drug addict was spiralling down and when her husband realized she was stealing and selling everything not nailed down, he shut off the money in the bank etc. Only then she was so addicted and just used her body for drug money. The sex was only a means. So was it adultrey? Or was it the drug addiction? Your call. But it showed the depth of her addiction.

Thankfully she hit bottom when she no longer had a home or place to go.

She hit bottom and reached out for help. This last time was not the first and

hopefully her last.

Personnally I hope they make it. Hopefully she stays in recovery. Your in recovery the rest of your life. You live one day at a time. Whether your last drink of fix was yesterday, 30 days ago or twenty two years since your last did it. They live one day at a time and in reality we all only live one day at a time. No one promises tomorrow.

The only point I would of liked to have seen covered was the husband going into Al-Anon and working on himself. It really helps you realize you cannot cure the addict, you can only take care of yourself and if you decide to love the addict, then that you can do, But it works both ways. If they can't love you in return, then you have the option of doing what is right for yourself. Some of the most brutally honest people I have ever meet of talked to were recovered addicts. They have done the work and are greatfull for another day if they recieve the gift of love and life.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Terrible Story

I consider myself a big fan of Slirpuff (Ohio, TheCelt, HDK). But this story sucks. The protagonist is a hypocrite. I never root for them. I highly doubt he EVER cared for his wife. Long before she cheated on him he treated his wife like his child and may well be responsible for her switching from Pot to hard drugs. He was the one responsible for her hiding her smoking pot from him. Sorry, I can't cheer for a sanctimonious prick ... and in fact this may be the first and only "Loving Wives" story I've ever read where I actually wanted the wife to cheat on the husband. Too bad she went back to him though.

xgigglesxxgigglesxabout 14 years ago
great story

loved it, nice to see people coming back from the brink......great yarn reminds me of some of papatoads writings. keep up the good work..

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Yet another druggie story

Stopped reading soon as I saw the drugs. Dopeheads are not erotic.

Orionman17Orionman17about 14 years ago
Well, I liked it. And I don't normally like drug addict type stories . . .

Thank you for a great read. Having worked in the Psych Unit of St. Paul Ramsey Hospital, I ran across similar Steve & Sandy scenarios. It is tough. More than tough. It's a matter of survival, let alone saving a relationship. From observation of cases, some survived . . some did not. Easy to say life goes on, but to the individuals, single or married, it was a matter of survival.

sexmatesexmateabout 14 years ago
Very good Story! I did enjoy it!

First let me say thanks for wonderful story!

It was very believable and full of emotion. To the posters who left negative comments: Wow! Did you read this story? It was truly a loving read!

The effects and consequences of drug, and alcohol addiction are just devastating! Having seen both in my family first hand, it is something I never wish anyone to experiance.

Would I have taken Sandy back? I just don't know.

Are they going to stay together in this story? I don't know but I hope so.

and in real life it would be a pretty low percentage on staying together.

Like I have said in other posts sometimes the wounds are to deep to ever heal or heal right.

To me this story was a 5, thanks again!

cpetecpeteabout 14 years ago
Why not relaspe?

I enjoyed the story and thought it was well written, however I have to say that Steve’s character made Gandhi look like Rambo. Steve’s response to Lisa becoming a crack whore, abandoning their child, selling their stuff, screwing johns in the house and being exposed to STDs is….stay married, keep Lisa on his insurance (paying higher premiums & deductable), keep celibate, reunite her with her daughter, and buy Lisa a new house.

The author had Steve passion for Lisa “…an insatiable craving that only got stronger when I was not with her..” but Steve should be nominated for sainthood.

Meanwhile Lisa the addict must have missed the session in rehab about making amends-because Lisa’s response to her own cheating is to threaten to end the marriage if Steve has sex with other ladies (that is the double standard X infinity!)

Slirpuff did a fine job setting up the reconciliation, but the relationship lasting has a slim to none chance. Lisa suffered no consequences for her actions, thus no incentive or fear not to stray or relapse again.

I would also have liked Steve to get Connie and the family relationship he deserved-but its Slirpuff’s story and his ending, and Slirpuff had me guessing to the end.

cpetecpeteabout 14 years ago
why not relaspe

My bad I meant SANDY not Lisa in the previous comment

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
hard to tackle

i think you did a pretty good job w/ the story.

ZKHANFLZKHANFLabout 14 years ago
Sorry but hubby is a dumbo and a wimp

How can you take back a piece of trash like Sandy. The hubby should have left her the moment he found out she was a crack whore, especially after the counseling and drug sessions did nothing but reveal what a whore she is and is only remorseful cause she got caught.

As Harry states, she didn't apologize once in this story, but the hubby is apologizing left and right. WHY?

Sandy should be in jail for child abuse and nowhere near her daughter.

She doesn't care for anyone but when she will get her next fix, and the hubby is too dumb to see through her addiction.

morris53morris53almost 14 years ago
Great Job!

This shows the stong love of a man for his woman that is truley tested. He has a lot more BALLS than most men who would take everthing as a personal insult and dump her. He had to have a lot of faith in himself to not just turn his back, which is what a wimp would do.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
wimp

most of your stories are right on. Not this one, staying married to a crack whore,,please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Not wimp, human

He didn't quit when he could and nobody would have blamed him. That's the sign of strong character not a weak one. Anybody with even a littlest understanding about addiction - particularly of drug-addiction would understand how an addict loses her mind, her senses of anything but her next fix. It is a sickness. And we are human because we don't abandon our sick like animals.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
A fucking wimp

This is one of your worst stories you van compare with the one that the wife took a raincheck with a big nigger and th husband forgave her??????? jesus¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¿¿

Please mantain your quality.

VickieTernVickieTernover 13 years ago
Well done!

As the high Navy (Marine) praise goes. This one has a minor editing problem or two suggesting your editor wasn't yet utterly ruthless. But its human drama along with its moral implications? They're sensitive, carefully shown, altogether believeable, and no less so for being hopeful. We are as we are, though your husband is a bit of a firm stick as far as suppportive goes -- he didn't register that he was that hurt, only utterly fed up and disgusted -- but he does try, and doesn't seem egocentric, cruel in pronouncment of "principles," nastily veangeful, not any of the other contemptible things your readers sometimes urge as justifiable. Only fed up. Then love (or at least caring, about all three of them) begins to emerge, and the story reaches a hopeful stasis. A pleasure to read -- we all learn something by measuring ourselves against these two.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 13 years ago
support her and help her get well

but forget about the marriage, that is over. Husband did right by getting her counseling; shit the bed by getting back together.

FD45FD45about 13 years ago
Two Points

First, a lot of people are going big in the 'kick her to the curb' camp. And I'm sympathetic. However, what are the consequences of that? The mother of his daughter will fall into the street and likely die as a crack whore because he needs to be a hard ass. Okay...something about casting the first stone... Yes, she deserves Hell...and oddly enough, that's where she finds herself without his help.

It was a painful story to read, which means it was mentally invocative. Well done.

That said, you write too quickly. One example which I constantly find in your writing is a problem with homonyms (words which sound alike but are spelled differently) One example from this story is 'peaked' (coming to the top) and 'peeked' (sneaking a look at his wife's ass) Spell check is a tool, not a crutch for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 13 years ago
Pretty bad....The key in taking her back/ 2nd chance

Harry's got a point. Here the wife is in therapy for several months and still is downplaying being a crack whore. Her enetire focus is STILL on her.

This is Just unacceptable to the MARRIAGE... and even worse later in the story Sandy NEVER concedes the point.

"Steve, I look at cheating as going to bed with someone intentionally; planning it and then knowingly doing it behind your back. What I did with all those men wasn't intentional and half the time I didn't even remember doing it. And if you're interested, I have been checked out and remarkably I never caught anything. Look, I didn't plan it; they were just a means to an end. I didn't get any pleasure from it, all I got was money to support my habit; that's all."

It is clear that she does not recognize Steve's agony his frustrationa his loss of wife.. his sexual outlets... his famaly... as that as a BIG deal.

Even worse when Steve comes back to therapy HE is the one sthat apologizes. Sandy never recognizes that Steve after all HE has been through is the one that was shit upon.

DWornockDWornockover 12 years ago
They are both mentally disturbed.

Steve is a weirdo that has no control over his emotions. It is stupid to get rid of the house and and furniture because Sandy had sex. Perhaps Steve could get rid of the mattress but just clean and disinfect the house and furniture if he is concerned about germs. The furniture did nothing to cause Sandy to have sex and to blame the furniture shows he is mentally disturbed.

Naturally Sandy being a drug addict is much worse.

I would have divorced her and married someone younger and prettier. She is already close to 30 and at 35 you could stick a fork in her. And, being a drug addict, Sandy is defective. There are lots of women so Steve can do better. Also, being a drug addict and in rehab it would be difficult for the courts to award her custody.

However, knowing how fucked up the family court is, they might still award Sandy custody so I would hope that she over dosed. Actually I might just give her an over dose or keep giving her over doses until one of them killed her. Then when she was dead I would contact an attorney have him come to the house and report her death. I would refuse to talk the police and refer any of their questions to my attorney.

Of course the police would use the argument that "If you have nothing to hide." However, only fools talk to police. That is one area where Blacks are much smarter than Whites. If there is a crime, the Blacks all say "I didn't see nothing." Stupid White will report and answer question about crimes that don't even concern them. Martha Stuart is an example of a stupid White. See was sent to prison for talking. If she would have kept her mouth shut, she would not gone to prison.

In any event, Sandy is a know addict so unless I convicted myself by talking to the police, there is no way they could prove I gave he the over dose. And, by giving Sandy an over dose, I would not have to be concerned about the family courts.

RHinSCRHinSCover 12 years ago
This Could Have Been Prevented

I read this story years ago and only one poster came close to the root of the problem. He was more worried about the pot than his wife. When he could tell that the pressure was mounting on her he chose to look the other way. He said he let it slide. If someone you know develops a need to escape reality, you try your best to help them. If you love them. I would have never let my wife get as far as she did. All he had to do was reassure her that everything was going to be alright. He could have taken her away for a weekend alone to make sure that she knew she was loved and supported. He did not do that. Instead, he got pissed off and constantly berated her. Thats not good in a situation like this. It was the pressure from him that probably drove her to something stronger. Thats true boys and girls. I understand drugs and the reasons people do them. I understand what she was thinking. When he turned on her she felt all alone with nowhere to go. No support. More drugs. Most of the people who commented think this is a story of a worthless drug addict whore. Not true, it is a story of a man who forgot how to talk to and treat his wife. He was more worried about the pot than his wife, and of course they needed the money from her job. He also put money above his wifes welfare. Anyone who has read my comments knows I would not take her back, but I would have never let it get to the point that he did. Oh yeah, he was also a two faced bastard, he turned to alcohol when his nerves were frayed. As I remember, he wanted a beer on the way to the meeting and had a couple afterwards. The only real difference is that pot is not legal.

RHinSCRHinSCover 12 years ago
And

I wonder if he would have supported her in the beginning if it was prescription drug problem. Thats the doctors fault right?

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Utter shut

What a waste of ten minutes. Why would you take back a woman who has slept with 10, 20, 30 men? At least half in your house in every room including your daughters bedroom(yes she did say she didn't sleep in Lisa's bed but that doesn't meen she didn't fuck on the floor or on her cabernets.) most of all Sandy doesn't even seem that sorry because she keeps using the excuse of the drug addiction. To those who say what would happen to Sandy if they got a divorce or that Lisa needs her mother fuck that shit I would have been balls deep in Connie(who seemed like a prick teasing slut) Sandy will have a relapse and that will defiantly fuck up Lisa.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
RandomHardon

goes for a double creampie

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL IN DISGUISE

why have it for a junkie. TK U MLJ LV NV

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdabout 12 years ago
Nice story, but...

This reconciliation will not last. She is lying to herself and everyone else to get her life back. She said couldn't remember all of the events after she left to do hard drugs, yet she was pretty descriptive about the premeditated events that occurred in her house on just about every piece of furniture. Why would the husband risk exposing his daughter to this when he is intelligent enough to realize that she is going to do this again! The next time, his daughter will probably be a victim. Although I enjoyed this story, I found the ending disturbing.

RonRWoodRonRWoodalmost 12 years ago
Troubling...

The last commenter before me is correct actually. I have spent over 30 years loving and putting up with the unloving and selfish actions of an alcoholic at times. Oh...not always, not every day...and not the cheating and hard-core abuse described in this story. But the betrayals of them not caring how they spend family money on theirselves to make themself feel better, or the constant lying to avoid admitting their destructive acts, or the continual promises they make to not ever do these things again. I could go on and on about the defensiveness they have when they are confronted, or the guilt-ridden resentment they feel towards you when you try to tell them what they are doing to you and your children...

One loses a portion of his own self-respect when he realizes he is enabling them to continue their self-destructive behavior just by being there to save them from their last destructive event. The one that cost them their latest job or career, or the event that cost you yours. The moving every so many years to start over somewhere else. Yet, you live for the hope that the next time will be the last time. The time they care more about you then their over-powering cravings. One can be strong and endure all this for love. He can live for the respites between the bouts of drunkeness. The respites when there is some happiness for a while. But eventually he realizes he has settled for half a life instead of a full one...

One can cheat himself and his children without sex being involved at all! All out of love for an addict...I wish my wife had in fact cheated with another man. I divorced my first wife for cheating sexually. Oh how easy that was just to kick her to the Kurb! But then, I knew she no longer loved me to do that to me! I am sorry...stories concerning addicts that can't help themselves disturb me. I don't think any of you have any real answers

either, do you? Until death do you part, in sickness and in health, for poorer or for richer. What really do these words mean? Hell, I don't even know any more...

Nice try Slirpuff...but one has to live this story personally to comment on what they would have done...walk a mile in their shoes as BTTap said to me lately.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
anecdotal evidence is

anecdotal. too many idiots can't figure out correlation, coincidence, or causality. "didn't happen that way for me so it can't happen that way." just be sure to keep your mouth open, you might catch some flies but at least you won't asphyxiate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
This story shows

the author to be goodhearted and not without hope. The couple has many reasons to preserve their family and to not try would haunt them.

al18al18over 11 years ago
Not Typical

Usually yr stories make sense.

This one is out to left field in the wimp croud.

Hope, you won't write this kind of stories any more

Richie4110Richie4110over 11 years ago
Disappointed

I expected this to be a continuation of The Troubador's story and am disappointed to find no connection at all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Where did this tale comes from?

Sure not the original story line. Slirpuff, stay away from that weed. It is continuing to rot your brain.

user110user110over 11 years ago
wow hubby is an ass

even before she started whoring.

ythebadgerythebadgerover 11 years ago
Three dumb characters.

The husband, the wife and - dumbest of all - Dr Russell. It didn't even manage a tangential touch with reality and there were so many missing or misplaced quotation marks that it made it a difficult read. Definitely not one of this author's best.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
i liked it alot

Different from the usual stories. dont see alot of these from u or this genre. Wouldnt mind seeing more like it.

RhomanovRhomanovabout 11 years ago
Devil on your shoulder

Addiction is just about the ugliest thing a person can experience.

You try to help, to give, to ...... Until all you can do is cry inside.

Great story and way to realistic.

Thx.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Cordial vs. corgel

Other than that, this is my favorite story you've written. The development of the characters and a somewhat happy ending we're a pleasure indeed. A heart wrenching story to say the least. Well done and keep them coming!

monkcalmmonkcalmalmost 11 years ago
Bullshit druggie lover

gave it a 1 I hate this kind of story with all my being, because it happens all the time, a drug addict is a fucking wast of space, i blame Christianity for this new age faggot pussy love,its the sinner not the sin, counseling, trying to save the crack whores black or white or what ever, you cant save them only bury them in an ass grave call SHIT. The only good druggie is a dead one on the road, "thump" as your car runs it over on your way to the store to get junk food. She was evil not the drugs,its not a disease or addiction beyond there control its a free will fucking choice, and unlike that oh so average "mom" character that shit writers put in its not a "mistake", and Jesus why Sir did you fall back to shitty plot stereo typing = dad calls her slut and mom forgives her, they are his fucking parents or did you forget that while writing? Any sane man would drop her and think about his daughter crack whores in house means adead daughter in the oven,I like aloyt of your stories and i belive in redemption and love, but the doctor really doesnt offer the husband help, and he didnt admit maybe to much has happened and to safe guard the man an child there marriage was over ,he should be gutted with a knife. If you sence my rage at your story sir its true, girl druggie steels lies cheats dump kills her self,blame rage condemnation, unconcious dad brother priest, adultery(her parents) brought to light,divorce,no one talking 4 years, new life new wife new kids, no contact with my old family, no lose,officially an orphan, druggies are frucking evil hid from it and be destroyed confront and be set free.

cantbuymycantbuymyalmost 11 years ago

cuckie, here cuckie, cuckie. here cuckie, cuckie. good cuckie, would you like sloppy - pick a number. i might need a little stitch here are there to feel my cunt walls but that is ok isn't it cuckie?

MrVdogMrVdogalmost 11 years ago
Gee what a lucky guy

He gets to have sex with a worthless crack whore.

Terrific.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
well done

By far my favorite story on the site. Very realistic. 5stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
I gave it 5 stars ...

... he's a better man than me. I like to think I would have helped with the rehab ( insurance, attend the meetings and etc ), but I don't think I would have the strength to bring her back into my life that far. She would be my child's mother; I'd wish her well and hope for best then try to move on. Panther Fan.

phil2213phil2213over 10 years ago
Well written account of a nightmare of a marriage.

This story wriecks of reality especially in urban living today and the latest decades. I've heard versions of the story having lived myself in a major US city. It is most disturbing and a nightmare situation and my heart goes out to the poor children caught in these circumstances. By all normal standards, the decision to stay married or not is easy but when in the mess yourself the options are not as easy. This story accounts for a faithful husband and an errant wife. The wife gets caught up in her mess after being forwarned by a dutiful husband of the hazards of playing with drugs early on. The wife ignores her husband destroys her marriage and her life and reputation. Although the husband is extremely open minded and forgiving and the story ends with no firm resolve, it gives the reader a heavy dose of what reality in such circumstances might be. Of course it is very easy to judge our main characters but the author shouldn't be penalized when exposing an urban living crisis in a very explicit and skilled fashion. The drama and emotion were explosive and raw. The scenes were panoramic in the view of each segment of crisis. The characters were displayed in 3 D. Although, I can't agree in some aspects of reconciliation, I believe the author gave a great insight to the dilemma of modern urban living for a few select victims of their own indiscretions. Drugs are real and people are weak and addiction is disaster.

ResidentWeavilResidentWeavilover 10 years ago
What a shrink

I liked this one. The biggest problem I had was with the way the psycho treated Steve. Steve was there voluntarily. He would have had little trouble getting a divorce and custody of Lisa. But the councilor acted like Steve had to do what he demanded. If he was going to invite Steve in, he had to expect that either he would have to actively help Steve achieve what Steve needed or let Steve behave as he would. To expect Steve to put his life on hold indefinitely and keep his own pain bottled up was not only stupid, it was counterproductive. I have never been in that situation but I kept expecting Steve to walk out and come back with divorce papers for her. I doubt that would have helped and where would the doc be when it came out that the way Steve was treated by him made him give up? Malpractice anyone?

But the rest was great.

sugnasugnaover 10 years ago
Bad News For You...

If the saying "Once a cheater, always a cheater" has some truth to it, then the saying, "Once a crack whore, always a crack whore" is 1000 times more true! Sandy was a mess. She probably was always fucked up. She certainly was a terrible mother and wife. The fact that she was temporarily not using drugs is not very reassuring. She is an addict. The odds that she will stay sober are 1000 to one. Additionally she is a crack whore. She would sell her body and everything of value. Perhaps next time her own daughter, or at least her safety. No, she is a security threat and a health hazzard. She needs to go.

BfreetorunBfreetorunabout 10 years ago
Bad situation all around. I would have dumped her the time he saw her body afterward.

I know it is just a story but this activity is rampant in our society. They have a hard way to go and statistics are against them making a go of it. Drug addicts can get clean and stay clean, they just have to stay clean day to day. I have a very close relative who has been clean since 1998 of alcohol and drugs, it can be done. I am very happy for him and am very proud of him. Good luck to all alcoholics and drug addicts. Relatives, do not be an enabler and never trust them while they are still using.

KarenEKarenEabout 10 years ago
A Few Comments

The shrink can't tell him how she's doing? HE'S the one asking Steve to help, then withholds information?

She expects forgiveness, but if he has a few "revenge fucks" that would be cheating and would probably "end any chance of rebuilding their marriage?"

Screwing on just about every piece of furniture in the house? That's something you do when you're trying to stick it to someone, not just fucking to get some drug money.

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3about 10 years ago
Unbelieveable

She's a serial cheater and a druggie. Each one has a one in ten chance of recovery and you expect us to believe the reconciliation. The Doc is a sanctimonious buffoon and hypocrite as is the author. 1*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
going foreward

I feel he owes more to his daughter than wife and that means putting her long term needs and safety in consideration. Drugs are a progressive disease with a high recitivitism rate. Sex offenders get monitored and restricted but druggies are just allowed to keep repeating their lifestyle. Unfortunately, the "Hollywood types" almost make it glamorous and they usually get away with a slap on the wrist due to their wealth and fame.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago

I once dated a girl very seriously. She came by one night after going to see her "get high friends". That ended the relationship though I still think of her here 45 years later. It was too high of a price!

MattressThrasherMattressThrasheralmost 10 years ago
Liked it but....

it ended to abruptly. I felt you left it hanging and there wasn't any closure. The story and writing was very good over all, but I was expecting a better ending.

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
I followed your instructions

After finishing I went back and reread the first paragraph. It didn't help. She wasn't the same person at the end she had been in the beginning. The husband was the person conducting the counseling sessions, the good doctor just followed along and offered inanities. All the delays in getting home, and extended shopping trips are indicators that history is about to repeat itself, yet again. Stripes, Spots, pick your metaphor.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 9 years ago
when

When she admitted to having sex with her johns on nearly every piece of furniture in the house she showed that she was a liar as earlier she had said that she was unaware of what she was doing.

Having sex on all the furniture in the house was more about disrespect than sex, even if she wasn't doing it for that her johns were.

How could he trust her enough to let her back in his daughters life?

The next time she might pimp her daughter for drugs.

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Should Be Long Gone

Once he knew she was selling her body for drugs, that should have ended things.

Then he could be with Connie now, happy instead of walking on egg shells

Tootight1Tootight1over 9 years ago
good story

I think for reconciliation to work, the love still has to be there, or a semblance of it. its good for me to read such stories, just because the real world doesn't seemed to be based on love any more, as witnessed by the statistics. it also restores my faith in mankind in general.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I can't imagine

I don't see myself being able to unspill the milk like he did, but it doesn't offend me that in the story he was willing to try to rebuild their marriage. Addiction is such a brutal process.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
2010 Gateway drug story?

What crap

EddboyEddboyabout 9 years ago
the biggest problem for me

would be seeing her as a respectable mother and my wife again. Knowing that she sold her body to get drugs and fucked other men in my bed would be a tough obstacle to overcome.

Pappy7Pappy7about 9 years ago
Not very many of your stories I don't like,

but this definitely is the main one. There is absolutely no basis for a reconciliation in this piece. Sandy was well aware of what she was doing, she just thought she was so together that everyone would forgive everything she did. She never had any respect for her husband and I would be willing to bet that her pussy was well known around town long before she put it on the street. She whored at work, in her house and on the street. She showed an enormous amount of disrespect not only for her husband and her marriage but for her child as well. Fluids all over the house that contained who knows what diseases with a small, oral fixated child in the house. Kids taste stuff before they look at it or anything else. The fact that during her get out of jail counseling sessions she didn't show any remorse, sorrow or try to act like she even cared about his opinion of what she had done shows that he rated so low in her eyes that he didn't matter at all. And never would.

I am very sorry you saw fit to reconcile them, no basis, no reason I can see and no chance that he will be anything other than a jailer for as long as he can hold out. She will be back on the drugs and back selling her ass, this time his good deeds might be rewarded with AIDS. She doesn't care and he should not only kick her out, but his daughter doesn't need her example. Gave it a 1 and that's a first for one of yours.

tazz317tazz317about 9 years ago
CULTURE CHANGES THROUGHT OUT THE USA

only depending on where you live. TK U MLJ LV NV

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous