All Comments on 'How to Write a Villanelle'

by MungoParkIII

Sort by:
  • 3 Comments
galillygalillyover 16 years ago
Technically instructive

I hoped, however, you might have some tips on how to assemble the content, not merely how to lay out the form. The villanelle is my preferred means of writing poetry, but I have so much trouble focusing on a theme.

I guess it's like drawing -- ya got it or ya don't.

pope32767pope32767over 16 years ago
The difficulty, I think,

of writing a really successful villanelle is that it's hard to come up with a couplet that's strong enough to take that much sustained punishment. Its lines are repeated over and over, and must be in sufficiently different contexts to seem inevitable rather than repetitious and boring. Puns and syntactic ambiguities can provide real advantages, using a key word in one sense in one repetition, but in another sense later on. Googling for "villanelle" will provide you with lots of examples which will greatly repay study.

Celibate1Celibate1over 13 years ago
Re. last comment posted

With respect to the past poster implying that a porn site is not the place to learn how to write a Villanelle, may I remind them that the name of this site is a portmanteau word made up from the words 'literature' and 'erotica'. The ideal is that there is a slightly better class of story than you would find at say, 'dirty stroke stories for you.com.'

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous