All Comments on 'I Started Out Roasting a Pig'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 441 Comments
cpetecpeteover 11 years ago
Outstanding!

Extremely well done. A fine story with well fleshed out characters. Thanks for posting.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 11 years ago
Excellent story....Best of the year so far...

But I hope that it won't be long before your next posting. Thanks.

KristieBechirKristieBechirover 11 years ago
Wow.

2013 is off to an amazing start. Thank you.

bruce22bruce22over 11 years ago
Wow!

that one blew me away. Even though it is beautiful, it is very sad in many ways!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
A good solid story

I liked reading it the way it progressed and the definitely the way it ended.The best people got together.

I felt at the same time the feeling that I was led by the author on a meandering journey through the life of the main character. Because of this I had the feeling of impending doom but not sure how to the first marriage of Will. Sherry seemed to be a very immature adult, she couoldn't handle her money throughout the story. She couodn't be faitthful to a number of her partners, worst of course was the long affairs that she had in an apparent attempt to find the gold ring which she never found. A lawyer's salary out in the sticks where she lived was never enough for Sherry.

Oddly, it apparently never dawned on her that the proper pursuit of humankind is for love.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
Tales of Barbecue, Cheating, True Love & Dirt Track Derring Do !

This formula can't miss in the hands of a savvy author & qhhml1 didn't just fall off the turnip truck. The narrator worked hard, won some, lost some, wrecked some and ended up smelling like a rose.

This wasn't high toned , symbolism-laden writing and some might say it could of been better, but but I'm not smart enough to see how & don't care to be. Past a certain point, brains get in the way of fun. That quality was only one of virtues quietly, but firmly evinced by this five star read.

katranmankatranmanover 11 years ago
Terrific Story

A fine job, well written with believable characters and a predictable but happy ending. Thanks so much for writing and I look forward to your next submission!

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 11 years ago
Excellent, for a biography

I generally do NOT like biographies, and this one has its share of pathos! Plus a few more ... more pathos than eros! But, it is done very well, by an excellent author! Relatively few editing goofs.

I was surprised that nothing developed from the blatant hint that Billy was NOT Hubby's biological son, except that it presaged Sweetie's cheating! (Along with a shitpot full of her other character deficits!)

cantbuymycantbuymyover 11 years ago

another classic! 5

maninconnmaninconnover 11 years ago
Nice.

Nice plot, colorful lead character, well done. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Flat outstanding!!!

A true gem and such a wonderful relief from what is usually posted in Literotica. Thank you.

db1044db1044over 11 years ago
Thank You

This is the best story I have read in months.

Danger09Danger09over 11 years ago
Wow .... Nice story

I don't get the low rating, I actually enjoyed this story. It had great characters. It even made me tear up. Nice job.

Danger09Danger09over 11 years ago
Sorry

I need glasses, this story didn't have a low rating.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Slow but nice little burner

A nice little story - makes a refreshing change from the usual type of smut on here (smut, which I will add I LOVE). Well written and edited. Thank you :-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Another Winner

The title says it all.

phil2213phil2213over 11 years ago
Great Story Flawlessly Executed

Feel Good Story cooked to order!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Probably one of the more human male leads in a while

Nice to see, though in some ways he comes off as an even bigger cunt than his wife. After all, what kind of man is dumb enough to marry a woman who not only racks up credit card debt but has neither the decency, honesty, or integrity to pay it off? That's proof of an inability to honor one's commitments (see: vows), and it is a form of theft. The story made it very clear it was not some accidental failure, that she did it very deliberately. That's just out-and-out willful ignorance, but honestly, given his lack of professionalism and willingness to screw over clients by breaking standing contracts, it shouldn't be surprising. Those are huge personal failures - a man who doesn't care if his fiancee lives up to her debts, and won't take responsibility for his own. People like him end up, and deserve to end up in prison.

The other things could be forgiven as minor aspects of a failing marriage - deliberately alienating his spouse by throwing around ultimatums rather than talking to her like an adult, and deliberately alienating her from her child by using a neighbor lady as a surrogate mother. Those are nice touches, they're minor flaws, and make him human.

The first though, that's a deal-breaker. He's a piece of shit like any other man that doesn't believe in honoring debts and contracts, and sure didn't deserve the happy magic-lottery ending he got via the terribly convenient author-assassination of Angie's loving husband. It's also interesting that she's "in love with him for the past couple years" despite being nowhere near him. Can we say emotional infidelity? No wonder she felt guilty. While she's off falling in love with the newly single daddy next door, her husband is dying, and writing best-buddy letters to the man she's emotionally cheating on him with. Fucking slut.

Four stars for an otherwise great story, only losing one for the scumbag male lead and his second chance whore.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
wonderful story

As great as this story was, I find myself asking; "When (hopefully) are you going to do a follow-up on "The Cost". I so want you to revisit that story and tell us that Kenny's life is going well, he has moved on and found the love that he deserves. I could care about what happened to Les (the to-be ex-wife). Please go back and NOT leave us hanging. I do realize that was your intent, but I truly would like to see all the loose ends tied up.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 11 years ago
Loved it!

Beautifully written and an engaging plot.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Beautiful

A beautiful story.

x_witless_xx_witless_xover 11 years ago
Sceptical and uncomfortable a little.

Though I'm not sure if the author intended that, he has written a riveting yarn and done it with great care and attention to detail. Thanks for writing.

tazz317tazz317over 11 years ago
AS ANYONE WHO PLAYS WITH FIRE IS AWARE

make sure it's not your own goose is the one cooking. TK U MLJ LV NV

john1946john1946over 11 years ago
Very good

What a great story and one of my rare 5's......Even though it was predictable it was a well told story and extremely well written. It certainly produced all the emotions....Thank you.

Aqua_SoundAqua_Soundover 11 years ago
WOW! What a tear-jerker!

Predictable plot, but an outstanding emotional story!

chytownchytownover 11 years ago
Good Read***

Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Ben

I like how Ben was portrayed. liked this story and thanks for sharing.

clearshooterclearshooterover 11 years ago
Yes!!

Better than excellent. Thank you for a delightful story delightfully done. A great start to my new year.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
about time you wrorte a decent tale

after all of your garbage this nugget somehow slips pass the literotica censors what a great a great chick flick a five

ythebadgerythebadgerover 11 years ago
Good story - well-written.

Some of it a bit predictable - but forgiveably so (and I had to look up the 'Hatfield-McCoy reference).

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 11 years ago
It's about time he got rid of the trash

This was a great story, thank you for making the husband a cool, desent dude. NOT some cuckold loving pussy. And he ended up with a great woman. 25*'s

Vulcan_in_OhioVulcan_in_Ohioover 11 years ago
This was a fiver!

Despite an occasional writing error, this was quite a good story. Enjoyed this page turner. Thanks for writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Perfect example

Here is a perfect example of a very predictable story that is so well written that you just can't stop reading. Once introduced to Bennett and understanding that he was a good guy, I knew that he would have to die and that Angie and the hero would wind up together. Yet, even knowing it, I still was so into the story that I couldn't put it down. Thanks for writing.

Rob ConnerRob Connerover 11 years ago
Great TALE!!!

Loved it! Well Written. Great storyline.

Lord_GroLord_Groover 11 years ago
Yeah, it was a bit predictable...

...but sometimes you just want a story that makes you feel good. This one worked fine on that level. And it lacked any of the odd little inconsistencies about things Southern that bothered me about "Boston to Birmingham." Nice work.

markellymarkellyover 11 years ago
Great Story...

One of those stories that I was sad to finally get to the end of. A really good read. Thank you so much for posting it.

bobby9909bobby9909over 11 years ago
Thank you

for letting me start off my new year with a GOOD story!!

debbie2freedebbie2freeover 11 years ago
love the story

Perfect for starting out the new year.

solotorosolotoroover 11 years ago
Heart warming

Well written, generally good character development. Good job of avoiding the "I love you more than life itself" rant by the cheating wife. No one who truly feels that way would cheat. There can be deep guilt for hurting someone you "love", but in truth the love has lessened to an extent that allowed the cheating, if not gone altogether.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
I promise

. . . that I'll read every story you write. I find myself emotionally connected with your characters, both good and bad, and am feeling loss when the story ends because I have to let go of my new friends.

TwosheddzTwosheddzover 11 years ago
Loved it

More, more!

StangStar06StangStar06over 11 years ago
Excellent story

I loved every word!

njlaurennjlaurenover 11 years ago
Great tale

As usual from QHM1, and I enjoyed the southern tinged flavor of it. The anon who bashed Will had to be some demented chick, no one would accuse him of being a scumbag, he acted honorably, Sharon was the piece of crap. As far as her debts went, that was her problem, and he treated her like an adult, he made her aware of the consequences of foolish spending. He loved Angie but was nothing but a friend to her and Ben, and nowhere did they emotionally cheat, Angie was devoted to Ben, period, and Will knew it.

The only problem with the story was names, in the beginning Will says his last name is McCoy (as in Hatfield-McCoy), unless he was just doing that being funny (in which case, my bad) and when he meets the gal later she is rhonda but then she is sophie....but minor quibbles, the rest is great (I loved the barbecue for the Jewish partners, nice touch, though most Jews these days don't keep Kosher:).

The wife is an immature person who also was someone looking for status when all she seemed to find were losers. Ironically, Will became truly wealthy, while Sherry ended up a multi divorced slut working gal, she would have had it all had she stayed faithful to him. What I can't quite understand is why Sherry would screw the junior lawyer like that, if she was looking for status figure it would be a senior lawyer someplace, not a peon...

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Sweet

This is the first of your stories I've read, I will be reading the rest. You as said by others before, developed the story, kept it real and, flowing along thru time till the end. Short, sweet and, to the point. Now excuse me while I go back n scan your submissions to fnd the next. ACM

Sid0604Sid0604over 11 years ago
Thank you

Another great story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this one and look forward to your next.

Thank you

snowcap2013snowcap2013over 11 years ago
Southern Fried and Sentimental...

...but in a good way. This one had the tang of good BBQ sauce and the refreshing sweetness of ice cold lemonade. Nice character realization. The contrast between Sherry and Angie was well drawn and Will was the real McCoy but the one I'd like to meet again is Sophie - preferably in lounge wear and soft lighting.

Sidney43Sidney43over 11 years ago

Oh my Lord but you write a fine tale. It almost makes me want to live in that part of the country and have those kind of people as neighbors, but you left out the humidity and all that sort of thing. I know this because of some ex relatives who live in SW Missouri and I was there in the Summer.

Five stars for sure, I really enjoyed starting off the New Year reading this one.

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307over 11 years ago
By far...

... the best of your work that I've read. Even though I could see from a mile off just how this story would end, much like my favorite author, DG Hear, you made the journey much more important than the destination.

stinger82stinger82over 11 years ago
Nice tale

Enjoyable read with very likeable characters. Thank you!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Simply the best!

what a wonderful story, loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Loved the story

Yes I could see the end a long way off but you held my attention untill the end. You need to recheck the story and do a few minor edits for some errors mostly on the last page where you switched from the grandmother back to the Angie you lost me and because you didn't make it clear that you had come back to Angie and so I had to reread that a few time till if figured it out. and you left Sophie kind of hanging out there when you mentioned the explantion and didn't go back to it finish but hey its your story and if I think I can do better (which it can't) I should right one of my own. Keep writing......

TexarMan

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
tears

I usually don't cry when reading porn, but this story really touched me.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 11 years ago
A lot of emotions written into this tale

Happy, sad and some what erotic with good taste, and a very enjoyable read.

Well done, and I loved the ending.

Thanks for the good story

Sloburn38Sloburn38over 11 years ago
Really great read

One of the most compelling reads ever. You are a great writer, and this was a great story. Thanks

tnoldguytnoldguyover 11 years ago
Not porn

Anonymous said that he didn't cry when reading porn. Well this isn't porn! It's and erotic love story, well written with good character development, a good story line and a nice, believable ending. Good job. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Smitten!

Sorry, but I don't think I have to say anymore.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
wrong star

meant to press five stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

this is supposed to be a porn site. then you go and ruin it by writing a tremendously good story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
The best I've ever read!

This was a brilliant, heart wrenching story. I actually had a lump in my throat a couple of times.

pumpop201pumpop201over 11 years ago
I cried.

Need I say more?

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Beautiful Story

There are a quite a few good authors here and many really good stories and then there is this one. I have read every story in the catagories of Loving Wife, Non-Erotic, and a lot in the Romance and many,many more throughout the other catagories and none captures the spirit of the story as you did here. It is without a doubt the best story I have read on this site.

LBuddGLBuddGover 11 years ago
I just CAN'T understand it!

There've been a few stories here, over the last years, that I wanted to give 6 stars to, but the site said I couldn't. I could swear I heard a "ghostly voice" (Ben??) laughing out loud when I tried giving this one EIGHT STARS. Loved it...thanks for the entertainment.

shareher4funshareher4funover 11 years ago
Great story!

I REALLY enjoyed this story! Very well written, too. Thanks!

kalodinkalodinover 11 years ago
Darn You

My girl friend and I chose his story thinking to heat things up preliminarily. Little did we know before we were hooked on just about the best romance we would read. By the time we realized that it was too late and we were hopelessly compelled to continue. I normally wear my heart on my sleeve and so does my girl friend. Between the two of us we used three handkerchiefs. The plotting, characters and exposition were flawless and very, very professional. Hell of a writer and hell of a fine read. Thank you. Kal and Pal

Sid0604Sid0604over 11 years ago
Wow

I've been reading the comments of the readers who've enjoyed this great story; it's very popular. It really does deserve the star rating it has achieved.

Thank you

cantbuymycantbuymyover 11 years ago

He still was roasting a pig, it was his cheating slut wife! 5

BobNbobbiBobNbobbiover 11 years ago
I love . . .

. . . a good love story. Those who complain about Loving Wives stories always being about cuckolds and sluts need to read this story. Yes, Will was technically a cuckold since Sherrie had several lovers in serial affairs. I guess one could make the case that Sherrie was a bit of a slut, but quite possibly she was just a gold digger looking for richer pastures more to her liking.

About Ben and Angie and their relationship to Will there can be no doubt. This was just a touching love story. I did love the little excitment when Angie got her rocks off with the midget racer. That was the closest to sexual excitment until the end.

Damned good story qmhl1, top notch.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Great story

The best Loving Wives Story that I've read. Great characters, and a terrific story that grabs your interest from the start and never let's go. Hard to improve on this!

JeffTomJeffTomover 11 years ago
What Can I Say, One Of Your Better Ones

I like stories like this one. Not much sex, good story and about the right length.

I would like to see a story that when the husband and wife part they don't hate each other.

Thank You for writing this for me/us.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
I Wish To Register a Complaint About This ( Hall of Fame ) Story !

Its a complete story as is and a smashing good read, no argument. BUT if you have a tendency towards nitpicking and have a sense of morbid curiosity like myself, there's an unanswered question. What was Sherry thinking to blow it as badly and ungracefully as she did ? She literally had it all, a good man, career,adorable kid and blew it.

Basically, I'm asking for a story from her POV. She and the narrator started off so well and it was so well told from his vantage point. I know that sequels often only have a set percentage of the original and many fans will chime in " it doesn't matter, what a slut thinks ". Why was she so set on having more money, men & materialistic items ?

Well even if this has 80% of original charm, it will be a blockbuster because this captured so many peoples' eyes and hearts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know the questions mentioned above.

I'm not saying qhml1 should drop everything and undertake this project but he shouldn't fight the urge to expand on the modern Mayberry-esque charm, I and other people felt. So thanks again for this story and hopefully it's little ( or big ) sequel.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 11 years ago
Extraordinary

Excellent tale. Still the question about the whore ex-wife. Why?

RePhilRePhilover 11 years ago
5 Stars 1 Favorite and 2 Words

Perfection Personified!

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 11 years ago
@ RePhil ( respectfully )

Very, very good story yes, but not perfect. The Sherry POV thread remains unexamined. In addition to previous comment's Sherry-centered questions, I wonder if by the time the story has ended : does she have regrets ? Has she learned her lesson ?

Is there hope that she will be able to give and receive real love, like the one she threw away ? Nitpicking minds want to know !

AdjectiveNounVerbAdjectiveNounVerbover 11 years ago

A decent story, but I thought it was very formulaic and the pacing seemed odd to me, drawing some parts out and compressing others for reasons I couldn't figure out.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Wonderful short story

Not standard literotica fare, but great read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
To LordSlamDawg, (respectfully)

It is often said that the best revenge is living well. Sherry is a hopeless case, a lost cause, and did everyone a favor in the end, by having herself excluded or having her contribution to their lives minimized by her actions.

I can guarantee that Sherry will have regrets on her deathbed, but they may not be regrets concerning the values that most of us take seriously. However, any regrets she feels, she will deserve.

But you know what? Will won't care. Actually, he might, just because he is a good guy and doesn't spend his life hanging onto old hates, nor spend his life feeling sorry for himself. He might... just might... sorrow for what he once thought was true,and could have still been true had Sherry turned out to be a better person. He might sorrow for the potential life story that was smashed. He might sorrow that Sherry's actions could not have escaped Billy entirely... she was his mother, and because that is true, there has to be some kind of detriment, even if it were repaired and made-up-for by those who cared... including Sherry's own mother.

But in summary, Sherry doesn't matter. She is shallow, vapid and truly worthless. She is busy creating the hole that she will find herself drowning in. It's sad that someone like her has little realisation about what they really have destroyed and left behind... their own true value as a human being.

And with that in mind, it is only important that all worked out (with all the inherent struggles and victories) for Will, Angie, Billy, and even Ben (he died, knowing all would work out, having had an enriched life, and knowing that there were real people who cared for him even when he was gone).

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
To "slamdog" (disrespectfully) .

Did you know that you are a pompous and arogant asshole ?? Typical puffed-up Brit ! They can't be any worse, straight from the slums of London.

The story was good and entertaining. I gave it 4* .

juanviejojuanviejoover 11 years ago
Cinco Estrellas!

Era una historia de amor muy bonita. Trajo lágrimas a estos viejos ojos. Muchas gracias por la gran historia!

I like your story very much, amigo. I give you 5 Stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Best story I have read on Literotica by far.

You should be published if you're not.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Great Story

I loved this story. Your character development makes me feel I have met them. Please keep publishing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
beautiful

we all love happy endings.... beautiful story. :)

ValundarValundarover 11 years ago
holy s*** !!!!

dont get to read many great stories like this one here.

5 stars!!!!!

Definitely one of the best ones here.

hope to read more from you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Why?

Yes, great story! But why is it in Literotica? Must be lots of places it could be posted. Why post it in a site for erotic literature when it has none?

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Brilliant

I loved this story and was unable to put it down, it's success was due to the well written characters whom I not only felt I knew but I cared about. Brilliant (by the way, I believe the lack of eroticism made it a better story)

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
It's the title

Guess if you have a catchy title you get reads. This story belongs in the non erotic section. It's mostly rambling about a guy who was cheated on. Needs more action to be an erotic tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Loved it

Not what I expected on this site but I was enthralled beginning to end. great stuff.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago

u rock man...best lw author here...dqs and hdk can learn a lot if stuff from you...i loved ur boston story...best on this site along with shadow dagger falling into darkness seven days blah blah....keep it up...and i still think u didnt need anne in that story! :p

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
What was this?

Just don't get it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Great story. Made me cry.

The eroticism was not a prominent part of the story but an interesting part. I guess I just like stories with a happy ending. Just one criticism - it really needs a good editing. Missing words, misspellings, even some wrong names in the wrong places. It is just rough around the edges.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyabout 11 years ago
Good story

I liked the dialog, characters a bit preachy,but it was a good read. For my part, it would have been better if the wife hasn't been so unpleasant, the guy so goody two shoes, and married someone other than Angie. Oh, and get dumped by the roundtheworld girl because he wasnt god enough in bed. Avoid trite cleches.

ill have to read the rest of young stuff.

Chilley

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Hooked

Generally I don't spend more than a few minutes on this site (along with most other visitors I expect) but I was hooked by the title and then by the story. I hope you continue with more of the same, I was very impressed.

ErotonautErotonautabout 11 years ago
One of the best stories on this site

Realistic scenario, honest characterisation (even the cheating wife is given some leeway), believable dialogue, credible development. The lack of actual coitus is immaterial: this is an excellent love story, marred only by a few spelling errors.

Jim44444Jim44444about 11 years ago
A great story

Only criticism would be, in my opinion, it should have been in Romance. Too good for Loving Wives.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
Excellent story

Real people with real feelings that just jump of the pages. Loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
This is the third time I've read this story

And I like it better every time. Call me an old softy, but this is such a a fetching tale - believable characters, real life betrayal and redemptive love. Add to that, in such a short story, it feels like its novel length. Bravo! and thanks, qhml1.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 11 years ago
5*

One of the best stories on the site. Thank you.

semofuncpl3semofuncpl3about 11 years ago
At a loss

for words. Too bad can only rate it a 5*. It's much better than that.

aensomoaensomoabout 11 years ago
Im screwed.....

I should be studying for finals exam tomorrow, but it was damn worth it. Not regretting to not studying, hahah bad student. Awesome piece.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 11 years ago
Reads just as well the second time around.

I really like the pace and narrative in this one. Five stars!

AdjectiveNounVerbAdjectiveNounVerbabout 11 years ago

I've now read this a second time and I still can't figure out why it's so popular and hanging out at the top of the category's rankings. It rambles, the plot's predictable as hell, I didn't see anything particularly funny or clever - nor, of course, was there anything erotic, and the only emotions it evoked for me were saccharine. In a word, I think this story's boring - which for me makes it a 3-star story at best.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

SIMILAR Stories